Steam Dangerous For Publishers

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Steam Dangerous For Publishers

Post by Smoove_B »

8 hour STEAM sale doubles Q-Games' annual income. Totally dangerous for publishers.
Multi-platform indie developer Q-Games saw its annual income double in the span of eight hours, thanks to a Steam community-voted sale on one of the studio's titles.

PixelJunk Eden was selected in a community vote to receive a front-page featured sale that dropped the game to $0.99 – 90 per cent off its standard price tag.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
qp

Post by qp »

Gotta wonder what publishers bring to the table - at MIGS I set in on a session where some stats company shared survey results. Most publishers are looking for alpha or beta stage games from companies with experience. Very few are willing to put any money up front...so even in that session people were asking, so um why publisher? I mean I guess for marketing in theory, but if you can get on Steam the long way around?
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is being able to permanently delete games from your library something dangerous for publishers? Probably not, but I wasn't really sure where else to put this.

I don't really understand the option myself - why not just hide games you don't want to see or organize them into folders then hide them? Does this mean I could buy HuniePop, finish it and delete the game forever so I wouldn't feel like people considered me creepy if they were looking at my games owned? It's just...weird. The permanent delete, not HuniePop. I make no judgements.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote:Is being able to permanently delete games from your library something dangerous for publishers? Probably not, but I wasn't really sure where else to put this.

I don't really understand the option myself - why not just hide games you don't want to see or organize them into folders then hide them? Does this mean I could buy HuniePop, finish it and delete the game forever so I wouldn't feel like people considered me creepy if they were looking at my games owned? It's just...weird. The permanent delete, not HuniePop. I make no judgements.
While I can understand having a delete option, I can't understand having it be permanent (instead of having an option to undelete it if you really want it back). Though I suppose since it's not trivial to remove, there probably isnt a risk of accidentally deleting a game you didn't intend to.

I thought at first that you meant that the publishers would be able to delete games (not just remove them from being buyable, which they can, but removing games that are in peoples accounts. - THAT would be terrible).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After looking into it some more, I think I understand it a bit better. I am a big fan of hiding titles and organizing them into folders. However, there are games in my Library like:

Dota 2 Test
Patch Testing for Chivalry
Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead beta

That I guess can now be permanently deleted from my account (if it bothered me). I guess it has use, it just seems weird.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a whole 'Z - hidden' directory set up in Steam that I put all that stuff in, then just never expand it.

It has things like SiN Multiplayer, Deathmatch Classic, Company of Heroes (Steam version replaced it), Half Life Deathmatch: Source, and Skyrim (so that I never accidentally use the built-in launcher and reset my .ini files.)

I can see why people might want to kill off some of those, but it is just as easy to hide them all and ignore them. Maybe some people are just worried that their friends will brows their collection and find all their My Little Pony games.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)