Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Punisher

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Punisher » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:33 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:25 pm
Yeah, it's like when you buy a vacuum or things you need to assemble from big-box stores. The instructions say "contact manufacturer for support - do not return to store". If I opened a sealed game box in a LFGS and it missing dice or meeples, how exactly would the store manager remedy that? Crack open another box and cannibalize the parts? What happens to that other box then, it's now their problem? Or is it like when you buy something at a big box store and it has two left sides or three wheels because the store accepted an open return and just restocked it? This is why we can't have nice things.
I worked in retail for a long time and the answer was take it back and either give them a new one (and have them check it before they left the store) or cannibalize the parts from another unit. Which ever the customer wanted. (Or take it back for a refund)
The store then has a contract with the vendor and the store handles the return to them (well not the store exactly, the store sends it to the returns warehouse and they process the RTV (Return to Vendor) we don't make the customer do that unless its out of our return policy window (30-90 days at the various places I've worked))
Its just a part of customer service and in many customers, pushing them to handle it will usually mean you lose that customer. Some may not mind but I would bet that the vast majority of those people will think twice before coming back.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Managed to hammer out a whole bunch of games this weekend at a local convention.

Deck Box Dungeons - tremendously fun and a ton of gaming in such a tiny box. The only downside is that you really need to print the most current rules, so the "deck box" size is then instantly lost. Some of the rules are a bit loose, but overall it's a pretty deep RPG-like dungeon crawl system that has surprisingly minimal components. There's an app you use to randomize tile/card layout as you explore and it also gives you some flavor text and setup/condition information, but I didn't find the use of the app to detract from the game at all.

Dice Throne an excellent mix of dice and card play. Feels a bit like Quarriors in that respect, but much faster. Has everything I like - die rolling, cards and push your luck. Components are excellent and it plays pretty quick.

Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago uses the core Frostgrave rules, but slightly modified for tropical theme. I'll have to get the photos I took. If you like Frostgrave, I think you'd like this. Really, it comes down to theme and scenery.

Heavy Gear Blitz this has been around for a while, but we were able to meet with the designer and get a demo game in. It's a 15mm scale tactical minis game that plays quick and reminded me of Battletech (or Mechwarrior) without all the overhead. Apparently it was much more complicated at one point, but it's been through numerous revisions and editions. I picked up a starter box (because I'm a sucker for starter sets) and I'm looking forward to assembling and painting little mechs. The publisher is from Canada but everything is printed / manufactured in the USA so we had an interesting discussion on costs (particularly in light of the tariffs). For them, the molds are machined in China but the actual creation of the minis happens in Indiana. The cost savings (for them) is astronomical, or at least it was until the tariff discussion started. Turns out steel molds were potentially looking at a 25% tax as they weren't "American Steel". I'll keep it lite to avoid the R&P but it was still an interesting insider discussion as to how things work.

Pandemic the Cure is the dice-chucking version of the Pandemic board game. I happen to like it more than the original (I like dice) so this is another fun experience.

Jaws was the surprise hit. I'd never heard of it, but my buddy had grabbed it a few weeks ago after hearing rave reviews. It's a lot of fun and it does a great job of re-creating the movie experience. The game is split into two parts. The first has the shark swimming around in secret, trying to eat as many swimmers as possible. While that's happening Brody, Quint and Hooper race around the island trying to save swimmers and simultaneous locate the shark. Everyone has special moves or powers and you're limited in the number of actions you can provide. The shark player moves around the board in secret, recording their moves and giving the players a chance to try and figure out where it was and where it's going. After the shark is hit with enough barrels -or- it eats enough swimmers, the second part of the game is the fight on the Orca. Depending on how round one unfolded, the players or shark might have an advantage in terms of bonus cards you get. In this second act, the players win by killing the shark; shark wins by destroying the boat or eating everyone. Once again, the shark is given options as to where it can emerge and the players have to guess, If they guess right, they get attacks in - otherwise the shark is free to destroy the boat.

It's quite thematic and big fun - definitely recommend it.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Jaws was the surprise hit.
Did you continuously yell, "We're gonna need a bigger table!" while playing?

Some of the Chicago gang got together at Zarathud's place for Scythe, Pax Pamir, Dungeons of the Mad Mage and a closer of Shards of Infinity.

Scythe is always fun, but I do wish I'd brushed up on the rules before we played. I forgot a lot of stuff.

Pax Pamir I lost at...again. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the concept that I'm allying with a coalition and need to make them the dominant force during a victory check...but then I need to be the favored member of that coalition because there may be other players allied with them too. This was a problem for me in the first edition as well. You'd think by now I'd get it, but I always struggle with that. I'll need to play some solo games to get it straight in my head.

Dungeons of the Mad Mage is the latest entry in the Dungeons and Dragons series of dungeon crawls. They're light but fun. I enjoyed it. Turns out it was harder than I thought it would be though, which was actually a nice change of pace.

Shards of the Infinity is becoming our closer lately. It's fast, simple and fun. It's like a more thoughtful version of Ascension in many ways. I used the same strategy as the last game we played to help my team win. Go for the mastery, that's the ticket. Well...for me at least.

I'll post about Deck Box Dungeon, Unbroken and Set a Watch in the solo thread as I got all of those over the last few weeks and finally had a chance to play over the holiday.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:32 am
One more round of Downtown, where my strikers had to go low through cloud layers. The target was completely destroyed. Unfortunately, we lost a Wild Weasel, a F-105 striker, and an EF-101.
This has become our regular game. I took over the defense of North Vietnam. A Navy strike came in to bomb the cement factory at Haiphong. I had upgraded all of the AAA around the city to heavy barrage fire. A cloud layer above the deck kept the strikers blind-lobbing through the mist. They managed to damage the target with one flight, while the rest were content to get out of Dodge.

One of my SAMs damaged a flight of A-4s. The supporting MIGs scared off the jammer and downed a EKA-3. The recon birds had to come in on the deck, and the AAA managed to down one of the two on their pass over the target.

All told, the PsTB at the Pentagon aren't going to be too happy with the result.
Silver - 1k

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:40 pm

hepcat wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 pm
Did you continuously yell, "We're gonna need a bigger table!" while playing?
We spent pretty much the entire game speaking like Quint and yelling quotes. It was a blast. As a bonus, by buddy picked up a $5 rubber shark that we added to the game play. You can see all the cards have quotes from the movie, so it's a real treat to play along.

Enlarge Image

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:59 pm

I love that rubber shark!

This weekend saw a two-player game of Caverna with my son. The last time we played -- a four-player game about six months ago -- he kicked everyone's butt with an expedition-heavy strategy. This time around, we both had fairly balanced strategies. Mine was a little more weighted to mining, his to animal husbandry.

Near the end, he did a nice job of spotting and buying up the rooms that would have scored me the most points. But I was able to find other paths to scoring, and ended up winning 60-49.

I really enjoy the gently competitive, flexible vibe of Caverna. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back on the table more often than twice a year.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 am

Last night I tried Endogenesis, a fighting card game, at my FLGS. We played the 2-player co-op game -- there's also a competitive ruleset for 3 or more players. We ended up losing pretty badly to an endless stream of monsters, but I could see areas where we could have made better choices and had a chance to win.

Endogenesis is pretty standard as these types of games go -- you play action cards into a tableau, and then spend energy points to activate actions. As you progress, you have the opportunity to upgrade actions to be more energy-efficient or hit harder.

The action cards offer a decent variety and seem well-balanced, with some interesting combos emerging as we played. And I really liked the visual design. But I'm not a big fan of this genre of games, and Endogenesis didn't do anything to change my mind.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 am

AWS260 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:59 pm
I love that rubber baby shark!
Do doo doo dooo doo
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Anyone have any experience with HELLBOY: THE BOARD GAME?

It seems to get pretty good buzz on the solo forums. I'm not really in the market for another miniatures game, but saw that they're going to be at GenCon with that massive collector's edition so I figured I'd ask.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm

I played it solo and enjoyed it. The art work is fantastic. It's a little puzzle-y in that you're always trying to figure out best option given what's happening and what you expect to happen. Wish I could have held onto it, but I'm out of space. If that changes, I'd probably get it again. I did read that the retail set is way more limited than the collector's (KS) edition, in terms of content and potential replay. The miniatures are really good as well - a huge step up from the last Mantic game I owned.