OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by hepcat »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
Zarathud wrote:Played a game of Feast for Odin at Origins. I enjoyed it more than the other Uwe Rosenberg games. After thinking about how gameplay worked last night, I think I agree that the players seem to be limited to raiding and whaling.

Two of us fought over raiding, while the third (winner) went whaling. I took a quick lead after exploring, but losing first player and getting blocked from any raiding for 2 turns killed me. The exploration really bit me in the ass. I did have a sweet engine that allowed me to put professions into play easily but that only offset the -16 points from the exploration. I ended up with unused wood and stone, and 1 gold short of immigrating. Very helpful to get that done early, not the last turn.

I'll look for Yokohama today. I passed on the kickstarter mainly because Tasty Minstrel seems to have expanded too fast lately, and I didn't feel comfortable not knowing the gameplay.
I've only played it twice, so I recognize that I could be way off but yeah I agree you need one of those two actions. The first game I played I was the only one that went for raiding (it was everyone's first game) and my score nearly doubled the next player. The next game I purposely decided to avoid whaling or raids and I was playing well building an economy and I managed to get things covered and even took Iceland but I still was outscored by almost double by the other players who all raided. Asking my game group about other plays of the game they all agreed that they had only seen someone win by heavily whaling or raiding. That doesn't mean I think it's over powered, it's available to everyone so it can't be overpowered really. But it does mean competitive options seem limited. Again fatigue with Uwe designs and how similar they are to each other might be playing a role here though. I've played every single one of his worker placement style games multiple times and they aren't that different from each other. It's probably not the game it's probably me.

That being said I finally got around to playing Le Havre this week and I loved it.
We played A Feast for Odin on Saturday and I don't think the winner really did much whaling or raiding. He built an engine that gave him a ton of silver, though.

I enjoyed it. I was a little annoyed by the tetris mini game at first, but eventually I got the hang of it.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:This is me, posting in this thread:

:D
If it makes you feel any better about this, you get to play board games a LOT more than I do. BGG.CON is next month and that will be my second (and third, fourth and fifth) board game day this year. Even better, I signed up for an annual pass for the big local game meetup and have attended once with no sign of making it to another one. Oops.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I may start impersonating you, then. :ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If it wasn't likely to get both of us booted I'd say go for it, but since the staff knows you, that seems a bit risky.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Probably.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:If it makes you feel any better about this, you get to play board games a LOT more than I do. BGG.CON is next month and that will be my second (and third, fourth and fifth) board game day this year. Even better, I signed up for an annual pass for the big local game meetup and have attended once with no sign of making it to another one. Oops.
I miss it. OctoCon is two days of gaming coming up. That will make 4 days of OctoCon and four Saturdays I've made it out with chaosraven at one affair or another this year. Though, I plan to have gloomhaven, now in November, and hope that I will force myself out on a regular basis to play this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote:Though, I plan to have gloomhaven, now in November, and hope that I will force myself out on a regular basis to play this.
Make them come to you. Trust me on this. You do NOT want to lug that beast of a game around. I leave it open and in my dining room in a corner. That way we can just jump in whenever. It also helps with record keeping as I know where everything's at.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote:
If it makes you feel any better about this, you get to play board games a LOT more than I do.
It isn't so much about the time as it is the fact that I can't afford to chase the latest-and-greatest. As I've mentioned before, my budget is such that I can't really take risks on unknowns that don't already have a solid set of reviews. So I just quietly watch folks talking about their games and comment occasionally about my own forays into much older titles that others have already worn out.

Looking forward to trying Mage Knight this week - hopefully!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Got to play a couple of games. First off, Concordia, which I played once a few years ago. I think I need to play a few more games to really get a good strategy going, but it's a nice resource management game.

Second off was Deep Sea Adventure. In this game, everyone's a diver, and you're trying to get treasure. there's a series off treasure below a sub in a line, and the further down you go, the likelier the treasures in that location are more valuable. You roll two dice (each with numbering from 1 to 3), and go down that many spaces (jumping over any other player). When you land on a spot (either going up or down) you can choose to take a treasure if there is still one in that location (or drop a treasure if you have one and the spot is empty). Taking a treasure will make it more difficult on future turns, however. On future turns (provided you havent reached the sub), you subtract one from your dice total for every treasure you have, and each treasure also eats up some of the finite air on the boat. Additionally, at the start of your turn (before you roll) you can choose to go up rather than continue going down (but at that point on, you can only go up), to return to the sub before all the air runs out.

This repeats three times (people diving and returning hopefully with treasure, or dying). Each new time, all the empty spaces disappear and any treasure held by people that die get collected together at the bottom of the depths in groups of three treasures (with each set of three only counting as one when it comes to dice rolls and air). So as the game goes on, it gets easier to reach the bottom as the whole thing shrinks.

I had a really bad playthrough in the first round (not even managing to get a treasure before the air ran out), so I decided to get revenge the next round, and took three treasures, in order to waste a lot of oxygen to doom other people. I almost made it back to the sub, too, but died two spaces away from it. So close. And I managed to die in the third round too. Hopefully, the next game, I'll be better at it.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My copy of Space Hulk: Death Angel recently reappeared after several years lost on top of a bookshelf, so I brought it along on my current business trip. Surprisingly, the boys in power armor pulled off the win, thanks to some lucky die rolls and, uh, brilliant tactical acumen. And only half of them died! The sacrifice of Brother Scipio, Brother Deino, and Brother what's-his-name will forever be remembered in the annals of the Death Angels.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I have found one of my new top ten games, and it's been a blast. Epically long post ahead, if you don't feel like reading it all don't worry I can some up Leaving Earth by saying I absolutely love it.

Leaving Earth is my new love in the board game world.

First off, I am a sucker for space themes, especially games that try to mimic real space flight (see one of my other favorite games I've been introduced to this year- High Frontier. But High Frontier is taxing, difficult to learn, and hard to get to the table. Don't get me wrong, I find the game to be fantastic and the stories that it creates are even better than that. But in reading up around High Frontier I came across this game Leaving Earth.

In Leaving Earth each player plays as a space agency starting in 1956 at the beginning of the space race. Obviously there is the USSR and NASA, but to make the game work for more players they also include China, Japan, France as well. Each year starts with agencies being funded exactly $25 million. If you only spent $10 million on the previous turn then you are only given $15 million since you clearly don't need more of a budget. So basically no matter what you start every year with $25 million in funding.

Each game begins with missions that you are all shooting for. Most of these missions are based on real accomplishments during the space race. These can be easy from simply getting a probe/satellite into space, to extremely difficult like landing a man on Mars. Each of them have a point value, from 1 point to 40 (for the base game). Over the course of the next 20 years whoever accomplishes the most wins.

Your turn can comprise of several different options of things to do, including researching new technology (from a variety of rocket types with different thrusts and masses ranging from small Juno rockets with a mass of 1 but only provide 4 thrust but also only cost $1 million each to the most powerful rocket ever, the Saturn with 200 thrust and 20 mass but at a cost of $15 million) to landers, life support (to keep astronauts alive in space), rendezvous technology (to accomplish complicated missions which require multiple stages to come together or separate), surveying, and so on. But just researching the technology does not mean you can successfully apply the technology. Each advancement card you research has 1-3 success cards placed on them. These can range from successes to minor failure to major failures. Major failures generally mean your entire spaceship explodes and you lose everything in it. Every time you use one of the technologies you flip one of the cards on it to see if you succeed. This is testing of the technology. If you succeed you can pay $10 million to see why and remove the card. If you fail it's easier to see why and you can pay $5 million to see why and remove the card. After you have removed all of the cards you can successfully use the technology every time. Or you can test it on the fly, on the way to your mission, it's gutsy, but hey it is a race and a dose of good luck might make it worth it.

In the setting of the space race it leads to interesting decisions. For instance in my last game we were racing at the end to survey mercury. Whoever got there first would win the game since we were basically tied and it was the last mission available. I chose Saturn rockets to deliver my payload to space, my wife chose Souyez rockets. Since we were racing neither of us took the time to test the rockets before loading them and using them. The first year we both got unlucky and had major failures losing everything. 2 years later after rebuilding we both tried again, she had a success and I had a minor failure. A small setback but enough to make me one year behind her in getting to Mercury where her probe had already secured the victory. The technology tree in this game is by far one of the most interesting I have ever played. The idea that you can take your chances or take your time to test leads to lots of interesting decisions in the setting of a space race.

Then there is the actual maneuvering of your ships in space. Each card has difficulties of maneuvers for ships to do. Some have other modifiers such as atmosphere (requiring re-entry advancements) or require landers, or expose your astronauts to radiation (which changes from game to game) etc. But basically each maneuver has a number associated with it, and you multiply it by your mass and that is how much thrust you need to complete the maneuver. It's simple, yet incredibly interesting. You end up doing complicated maneuvers to accomplish simple missions. For instance to get to earth orbit the difficulty is 8, which is huge. So very few rockets can even pull it off. But you can do a staged launch going to suborbital space and then firing another rocket to get into earth orbit. Lots of options are available for delivering payloads. For instance for my last game I used saturn rockets to deliver a probe and 2 small atlas rockets to earth orbit. Then these fired independently to get to mercury, and another probe was sent up to fire independently to get to mars. I surveyed Mars in time, but wasn't able to get to Mercury in time, my wife beat me there. Meanwhile she also surveyed the moon, was the first to get an astronaut in space, and found out the moon was not hospitable to landing in this game, so we were unable to complete the moon landing mission which gave her the victory.

Maneuvers are where math comes in heavy. The game is all about careful planning with risk management. The expansion includes worksheets you can work backwards from your goal to see exactly what rockets you will need and where so you can get the proper payload into space. Luckily there are online apps to assist with the math, because this is the type of game where everyone needs their own calculator and worksheet. But you really do feel like you are calculating the maneuvers and it feels like you are truly navigating space. If anyone is heavily opposed to math (simple multiplication) or detail oriented planning multiple stages at once all up-front than this game is probably not for them. But if that kind of careful planning sounds like fun... this game is unbeatable.

Careful planning for a Mercury Mission in my last game.

The artwork for the game is just fantastic too. Sure it isn't as elaborate as some games but the general look of the game is just great, and it all has this retro art look that just goes very well with the theme. The components are all simple cards but they feel great and are incredibly easy to read and understand.and the individual wood tokens are a nice touch.

Technology and components ready for purchase.

One last touch I like in the game is the freedom to interact with other agencies. You may cooperate as much as you want. It's a careful decision to make because of the race nature of the game. You can trade all sorts of things, such as space on your rockets for payload to get to space, sharing technology (even already tested advancements). In the last game my wife was playing NASA and I was Japan and we made what I thought was a mutually beneficial trade, fully tested Atlas rockets for fully tested Juno rockets. Win-win was the thought. However those very Atlas rockets that I gave her fully tested were what did me in, as she used them to get to mercury and survey it quickly before I could act. While the Juno rockets she gave me were useful, I could have done without them.

The end of our most recent 2-player game. Fantastic ending to the game.

I honestly can strongly recommend this game to anyone very interested in space that wants to play a deep table top game as long as they realize it absolutely requires significant calculations and very careful advance planning. It might be one of my top 3 favorite games of all times at this point. The best part is it can play pretty quick, within 60 minutes for a 2 players easy game, but with complicated games it could get up to 3 hours. I'm looking forward to playing it more. Where does it compare to High Frontier? Well I love High Frontier, but it is not accessible. It is interesting because this game has around the same level of math, but makes it more manageable. Now I think there is room in my collection for both, but I think that Leaving Earth is the better game for me. It is much easier to teach, you can actually learn the game from the rule book, it can be taught in about 20 minutes, and then it doesn't take up your whole night. Overall I think both are great, but I would recommend most people get Leaving Earth, not High Frontier. The decision is made easier in that Leaving Earth is actually available while High Frontier is not.

One other thing I love about the game is the attention to detail. The rule book contains information for why all of the technology was included, why each of the astronauts were included, and what each of the missions were based on. But even going beyond that, each of the planets have unknown discoveries when the game starts (randomly chosen each game). The rule book actually explains each discovery and why they are in there. All of them are theories by scientists in the 1950s and 1960s as to what would be found on these locations. For instance the moon has bacteria in one discovery, in another there is too much dust to land successfully on it. These were true theories at the time of the Apollo missions to the point that they were both carefully tested. Another is the Phobos was thought to be a round metal artificial sphere built by martians, so sure enough one of the discoveries is you find a round metal sphere. It's just a nice touch to detail that every single discovery has some theory that was truly investigated behind it. I love that touch.

Two expansions are out for it already, Outer Planets which has most of the rest of the solar system and more complicated crazy missions (like landing someone on Titan), and Stations which includes new technologies, space stations, etc. I haven't played with either of them yet although I do own both, but they are pretty cool looking and I'm excited to integrate them now that I am hooked.

BTW- It's also on tabletop simulator FYI
Last edited by Chrisoc13 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

60 minutes and absolutely gorgeous looking? Lots of pieces make the $90 price tag not look too offensive.

Thinking about it....

Maybe someone will have it at OctoCon... :D
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

LordMortis wrote:60 minutes and absolutely gorgeous looking? Lots of pieces make the $90 price tag not look too offensive.

Thinking about it....

Maybe someone will have it at OctoCon... :D
2 fast players on easy or normal once they understand the game will play in 60 minutes. It could quickly balloon.

The publishing situation is weird. Amazon and everywhere else it is $90. But you actually should order it directly from the publisher. It's a tiny family company that this basically is the only game they have. Lumenaris is the publisher. And they mostly seem to sell quilting materials... and this fantastic game.

There the game is $45 plus shipping. But they print the game on demand and ship in waves. It's certainly a small operation.

Wish I could make it back to Chicago for octocon, I would bring it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I like that they offer to sign the game for $1 extra. Definitely a small operation.

I just saw this on the publisher page:
"The best solo experience I've had, hands down!" –Brian
That's tempting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

coopasonic wrote:I like that they offer to sign the game for $1 extra. Definitely a small operation.

I just saw this on the publisher page:
"The best solo experience I've had, hands down!" –Brian
That's tempting.
I couldn't help myself, I ordered them signed because... why not, it's fun ha.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Chrisoc13, congrats on winning over another customer. Enjoy your commission.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I would also be ordering but we are doing detailed expense analysis in October. I'll order on 11/1. :twisted: It's nice that Dinogenics charges after October as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Is High Frontier not something you can just go out and buy?
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

wonderpug wrote:Chrisoc13, congrats on winning over another customer. Enjoy your commission.
Haha well I wish I got a commission. I just hope anyone who gets it enjoys it and that I'm not leading people astray at all.

For those who do get it, there are a few things that helped me out. One is this fantastic calculator that works on your phone as well that can quickly tell based on payload what number of rockets your will need. Extremely helpful for planning maneuvers. Then work from your goal backwards to earth to calculate the entire mission. That was a break through moment for me when playing the game. Probably intuitive to many people, but initially I was trying o do it from earth up and that was a disaster and a serious headache.

The other thing I found helpful for new players is this book of missions which goes through all of the base missions and gives the cheapest way (I believe) to pull them off. I don't use it because I like to figure it out myself and enjoy the puzzle aspect of it, but for new players I think it helps some people wrap their heads around the concepts you need to employ to be successful. My wife has used it for a couple of missions and she said it helped her enjoy the game more.

One more thing to be aware of is they are currently behind (I've been told) on shipping games because they are backlogged with Stations shipping.
wonderpug wrote:Is High Frontier not something you can just go out and buy?
It is not. The 3rd edition was only available at the kickstarter and then briefly on the publisher's website. Now it can only be purchased through third parties. I have a hard time imagining it has enough of a following to get a reprint any time soon anyways since most people who have been waiting for it probably snatched up the 3rd edition.

Honestly for most people I would recommend leaving earth over high frontier because it is so much more accessible and the rule book is written so much better. I will continue to play High Frontier but it isn't a game I'm going to introduce many people to.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Got in a game of Champions of Midgard last night with the Valhalla expansion. This adds in a really interesting new twist to the game. Now, when you go into battle with our warriors, when they die you collect their souls. These souls can be traded in to get favor from the valkyrie. These favors come in the form of additional warriors, bonuses to defeating certain monsters, additional glory points, or your choice of goods. You can also use these collected souls to defeat one of two epic bad guys...it takes a bunch of saving up to get them so you're missing out on getting other bonuses from the valkyrie while you're saving for them, but they give a good glory bonus.

The supplement also adds leaders. Everyone gets a blue die that represents their leader. The leader can go with his warriors to battle, and has the ability to kick off a special skill for your warrior (also new for this expansion). If the leader is lost in battle, you have to get a valkyrie blessing to get him back. There are also two new warrior dice (the Pink Berserker die and the Yellow Shield Warrior die). The berserker hits on 5 out of six sides, and three of those are double hits, but if you take casualties the berserker has to be the first to go. The Shield warrior hits on 4 out of six sides, and 3 of this are hit and shield, so you can do and block damage with one of these bad boys.

I really enjoyed the new element of strategy that the valkyrie add to the game. It becomes much more important to choose who is going to die, because that axeman may be a better warrior and harder to hit, but you need that axeman soul to get that favor... Oh, and blocking is now optional. Even if you roll a block on a die, you can choose if you want to take it or not, because you may need that soul.

Valhalla expansion, highly recommended. Next, I'll try out the Dark Mountain expansion, then both together.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
wonderpug wrote:Chrisoc13, congrats on winning over another customer. Enjoy your commission.
Haha well I wish I got a commission. I just hope anyone who gets it enjoys it and that I'm not leading people astray at all.
It looks completely up my alley, sort of like a boardgame version of Kerbal Space Program. Penciling in plans on a little notepad in a way that looks really technical but isn't actually all that complicated? Just awesome. This notepad from the Qt3 review turns me on:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Continued our adventures in FIRST MARTIANS last night, this time with the promo scenario REMOVAL.

Three drop pods containing three habitat modules landed, and our mission was to retrieve each pod, test it for problems, and once given the all clear, attach them to the HUB. Sounded easy enough. We only had 6 Sols to complete the project which is considerably shorter than most missions, so we knew time would be of the essence.

This scenario proved to be quite the bear, despite its simple premise. Unbeknownst to us, each research of a new module unleashed new dangers. We would find ourselves in the middle of power shortages, lethal radiation, and a broken Working Bay that would severely slow down build actions.

On the first attempt we played with 3 players and did not realize that one additional objective was mandatory. We thought we had won the game, then realized our mistake when the app told us we lost after running out of time.

Confident the next playthrough would go better, we attempted it again with 3. However, we misjudged the order that major events happened, and got too late a start on fixing a radiation leak. This severely crippled us and again we ran out of time.

For our third and final attempt, we decided to play with 4 since unlike other scenarios, there was no game benefit to playing with 3. Things went quite well until we got screwed over by some malfunction deck cards and bad draws. With one or two card differences we would have won, but as it stood we were forced into a position to roll on all 4 build attempts in the final round. Second toss of the dice didn't go our way so we had no way to finish the objectives in time.

Unfortunately this promo scenario is being yanked this week, so we won't get another shot at it unless they re-release it as DLC.

Still very much enjoying the game. We'll have one more week of scenario play, then it's time to get serious with the full campaign.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

ChrisOC, I think you have got me to order Leaving Earth from Lumenaris. I will likely be playing this solo, which I hear is one of the best ways to play it. My question is, should I also grab both expansions or can I get away with one? Of the two, the Outer Planets one seems less worth the money. I also read that the missions may not be best for solo play, for whatever reason. I am fairly certain, unless you convince me otherwise, that the Stations expansion is a good addition to the game.

Any thoughts? I will likely try to sleeve the game, which will be a pretty sizeable cost due to the large number of cards.

I always wanted High Frontiers, but the lack of availability and the frankly Byzantine looking board and rules always scared me off.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Got to play

Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave - I only did a quick game to refresh my memory. It plays like the first game (but with new cards). The box is much bigger, though, allowing you to put the old game inside (as well as a future expansion which is going to allow for careers)

Insider - Similar to Werewords. One person gets to see a word, and everyone else will ask yes/no questions to try to guess the word. A secret insider will know the word, and want to help the others try to guess the word, but do it subtly so he can't get identified by the others.

Ricochet Robot - A large board on it, with several locations marked, and walls in some places. There are five robots. When a robot moves, it moves in a direction until it bumps into a wall or another robot. For each location that gets randomly drawn, you want to try to figure out the shortest move patterns of the robot(s) to move the appropriate robot to the location. As soon as someone gives a number of moves that it can be done by, everyone else has a short amount of time to see if they can figure out a shorter path. Then you see if the person who claimed it could be done in those number of moves can actually do it.

It's fun and challenging provided the number isn't too low as to be trivial, or too high to make it take a really long time to figure out (and then halfway through trying to perform it, you get messed up).

The last one I don't remember the name to, but it was a storytelling card game (or really, more like an experience than a game, IMO), where all the cards had images on them. There were a number of ways to play it. One might be a job interview, where everyone asks questions to one player, who has a number of cards and uses a card to help as they tell their answer to the question (Where did I hear about this job opening? As we were fleeing from a giant ant attack, another survivor of the attack mentioned it to me). Another one was about diagnosing a malady. Another was just a pure storytelling game, where each player places the card to help them tell the next part of the story.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

baelthazar wrote:ChrisOC, I think you have got me to order Leaving Earth from Lumenaris. I will likely be playing this solo, which I hear is one of the best ways to play it. My question is, should I also grab both expansions or can I get away with one? Of the two, the Outer Planets one seems less worth the money. I also read that the missions may not be best for solo play, for whatever reason. I am fairly certain, unless you convince me otherwise, that the Stations expansion is a good addition to the game.

Any thoughts? I will likely try to sleeve the game, which will be a pretty sizeable cost due to the large number of cards.

I always wanted High Frontiers, but the lack of availability and the frankly Byzantine looking board and rules always scared me off.
I actually have not tried either of the expansions yet despite owning them both. I've been focusing on the base game only still. I've looked through them and the stations seems to have a lot more content but there has been chatter about the space shuttles being unbalanced. Not sure how true that is since I haven't tried it yet but there is a lot of content in that expansion so not sure how much that will matter even if it is true. Outer planets I have only used the mission planning books out of. Overall it doesn't have a tone of content, just adding new planets and a few new missions. Very little new tech is added with Outer planets.

The rules for High Frontier really are more difficult than they need to be. It took me a while to sift through them. It seems to be a Phil Eklund problem actually. Not sure why he doesn't just have someone fix the rulebook for him. But the board looks intimidating but actually is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
The rules for High Frontier really are more difficult than they need to be. It took me a while to sift through them. It seems to be a Phil Eklund problem actually. Not sure why he doesn't just have someone fix the rulebook for him. But the board looks intimidating but actually is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.
I wish you were still in the Chicago area. I would love to set up a game of Pax Renaissance with you and some of the other game folks here. If you like Eklund's games and the depth he brings, PR would amaze you. Especially since it's essentially just a deck of cards and some meeples.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Beat the promo mission REMOVAL for FIRST MARTIANS last night. This mission had been giving us fits for 2 weeks. We don't think it was really balanced correctly. Every boxed scenario gives an extra round to 3 players (to help make up for loss of 4th player's actions), and also softens the Events when you play it on Easy. REMOVAL, on the other hand, only gave us 6 rounds regardless of number of players, and the difficulty didn't seem to matter as far as events went.

However, our group loves a challenge so we became borderline obsessed with beating it. On our second try (probably the 8th or 9th try overall), we finally eked out a victory. It all came down to careful use of our Scientist's ability to draw 2 Research cards and choose 1. This enabled us to minimize the number of broken parts in facilities we were required to install in the HUB, which allowed us to finish just under our broken parts threshold.

The next mission seemed incredibly difficult on the surface, but we managed to beat it on the first try. MALNOURISHED PLANTS has you collecting percentages of 5 different nutrients. Until you collect certain percentages, your existing plants start wilting, which means you lose food at a rapid rate. We played very aggressively which allowed us to get a round or two ahead. Fortunately we managed to get our plants growing again without taking too many wounds from starvation. Even though we played on Easy, it was still a very satisfying victory and certainly not a walk in the park.

Next up is the final standalone mission LANDING. This one is notoriously difficult (some say impossible), so our plan is to devote one night to it then move on, win or lose. At this point we're all pretty eager to move on to the campaign.

Our tentative schedule looks like this:

Now-December - Finish both FIRST MARTIANS campaigns
Rest of December - One off nights - BLACK ORCHESTRA, LE: PREDATOR
January-March - PANDEMIC LEGACY: SEASON 2
April-??? - GLOOMHAVEN!

Terry also got in on the 2nd wave Kickstarter for 7th Continent so that will have to get into the mix somewhere in there. It's tough having so many games we want to play and not enough time to play them all, but on the other hand I'm really enjoying how we "deep dive' into one game at a time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Terry also got in on the 2nd wave Kickstarter for 7th Continent so that will have to get into the mix somewhere in there. It's tough having so many games we want to play and not enough time to play them all, but on the other hand I'm really enjoying how we "deep dive' into one game at a time.
I decided to back it even though there are other Chicagoans getting it/already have it. The fact that this is only available via kickstarter or through them, plus the numerous rave reviews made it impossible to resist. However, the sheer amount of nickle and dime add ons they're adding to the project is kind of annoying. It's like an EA game with DLC at this point.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Went all in on 7th Continent, so hepcat doesn't have to.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I'm double dipping as you'll probably bring it over to my place at some point, but the game is solo friendly. How can I resist?
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm trying to find my copy of 7th Continent to bring to OctoCon, but all of my games are currently boxed up because of my game room remodel so I currently cannot find it amidst a sea of cardboard boxes.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, the limited availability just makes me think I'll be kicking myself down the road if I don't jump on it. Even with Terry going in at the $125 level, this seems like a game I'd want to have in my personal collection for solo play if nothing else. Will probably just settle for the base at $80.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I dropped when I found that the scenarios were one off once you get the solution. While I am sure that I will never get them all done, I just don't feel like spending that much on a finite game.

Besides, Splotter is reprinting Antiquity and there is a new Joan of Arc Game on KS right now. So choices to make!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, that's the only reservation I have about it. But it sounds like each curse can take up to 15 to 20 hours or more. So that's almost a hundred hours or more for the base game and the expansion. Then there's added replay value via the random events and different paths you can find.

But mostly I'm on the hype train. Hopefully it doesn't toss me off right after it gets to the station.
He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hepcat wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:
I wish you were still in the Chicago area. I would love to set up a game of Pax Renaissance with you and some of the other game folks here. If you like Eklund's games and the depth he brings, PR would amaze you. Especially since it's essentially just a deck of cards and some meeples.
We're hoping to try and get to some octocons still in the future, though the timing hasn't worked out yet. But our plan is to coordinate visits to chicago when octocon occurs. I really like Eklund's games to this point and have been eyeing Pax Renaissance (as well as the other Pax games) but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, I'm double dipping as you'll probably bring it over to my place at some point, but the game is solo friendly. How can I resist?
Remind me to grill you about solo friendly games and what's good about specific ones next weekend.

Gawd, it needs to be next weekend right now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Best solo (or solo friendly) games I own off the top of my head:

Mage Knight
Star Trek Frontiers (Star Trek themed Mage Knight)
Hostage Negotiator
Any of the Consulting Detective games
Arkham Horror Adventure Card Game
Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game
Eldritch Horror
Any of the Legendary Encounters games
Friday
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
Neanderthal/Greenland/Pax Porfiriana
Too Many Bones
Darkest Night
Dawn of the Zeds (any of the state of siege games, really)
Assault on Doomrock
Navajo Wars/Commanchero
Warfighter series
Mistfall
Aeon's End
Nemo's War

Most coop Dungeon Crawlers are fun solo too. (Gloomhaven, Sword and Sorcery: Immortal Souls, Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift, Galaxy Defenders, Shadows of Brimstone, Descent 2nd edition with the app, Mansions of Madness 2nd edition, Folklore: The Affliction, etc.)

I would add the COIN games, but the AI flowchart makes them tedious and way too long.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

And Nemo's War! It is a fantastic solo game.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm going to try a solo round of 7th Continent tonight/tommorrow night. I'll let you know what I think about it as a solo game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

AWS260 wrote:And Nemo's War! It is a fantastic solo game.
Kee-rap...you're right. how could i forget!?! adding it now!

In other news, I'm going to start up the Dunwich Legacy campaign in Arkham Horror tomorrow. I keep starting and then stopping, but this time I'm sticking to it. Then I'm going to finally try Massive Darkness to see if it's truly as bad as a lot of folks say. I'm hoping to round out the day with some Folklore as well.
He won. Period.