OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

The Rocketman

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by The Rocketman »

baelthazar wrote:If Defenders of the Realm is too "cute" for your group, I can't imagine Pandemic going over well. I used to like Pandemic, but after playing Defenders the game just feels like you are "fighting the deadly WOODEN CUBE epidemic." There just isn't a story or sense of "theme" compared to Defenders very present theme of fighting demons, orcs, dragonkin, and undead. I don't think the game is "cute" at all - it is vintage fantasy art (Larry Elmore, who was famous for his late 80s and early 90s Dragonlance art).

My wife and I didn't care for Battlelore as much as Memoir 44. It was far more fiddly and the magic system turned us off. Also, it has that same 2-player restriction that Memoir has.

What about Castle Ravenloft, due out next week? It looks like it has potential to be a really interesting and fun co-op Dungeon crawl that is over in an hour or so.
I didn't express myself properly last time. I think it's more a kind of "generic fantasy" that my group (and my dad and me as well) aren't too fond of. But I'm certainly going to look at all the suggestions here, so thanks for the helpful feedback!
Jow

Post by Jow »

two games last night:

BSG: first game with six plays in quite a while. I as Roslin ended up being the sympathizer and getting blasted over to the Resurrection Ship at the halfway point. The two remaining Cylons revealed shortly thereafter and that really should have been game, but for a couple of reasons: 1) for some reason I swear I saw a rule somewhere that said that Cylons who are in the brig when they reveal don't get to use the text on their loyalty card OR get to draw a super crisis card. Thus, one of the Cylons thus didn't draw a Super Crisis, which alone would probably have ended the game an hour or two before it actually ended. 2) The human players hit an amazing streak of getting 17 out of 18 crisis draws that had jump icons (we counted!). This was with all three revealed Cylons doing their draw 2, keep 1 thing. In addition, they only had to deal with ONE Cylon attack card the entire game despite going through over half of the entire Crisis deck. Crazy! The entire game came down to a 50/50 dice roll for an FTL jump with fuel, population, and morale all at 1... and they made it.

Cosmic Encounter: I really want to like this game. As a big fan of asymmetrical games the 93452934 different aliens and their interplay are a blast. However, the huge game swings and rampant hand destruction/pilfering with minimal counters push my buttons after a while. Due to the luck factor and the huge swings the alien powers and some cards create, this is not a game to take with any seriousness, and that's fine... but I definitely have to be in the mood for that. :)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Oddly, Cosmic Encounters was exactly what we played today. And this game was one of those "meh" ones you described. We all had interesting Aliens, I had Will (you can encounter any alien, on any planet), my Dad had Deuce (you play two encounter cards, if both are attack you add them together, if any are N then encounter is an N), my friend had Mercenary (you get defender bonus even as attacker and offensive ally, if you win), and my other friend had Pacifist (you win encounters when you play N and they play attack). Not a bad mix. But for some reason none of us wanted to ally or ask for allies, and the Pacifist got hardly an N cards while the Deuce and Will (me) got tons of N cards. So everyone's power was a bit undermined. That's random for you!

We played several games of Glory to Rome and very much enjoyed it. It is a bit of a brain-bender trying to remember which one puts into stockpile, which one takes from stockpile, which one takes from hand, and the like. However, we very much enjoyed the unspoken rule of "if there is a question, always go with the ruling that sounds the most broken." The game is over-the-top and the buildings really can create mayhem or give incredible powers - but because everyone can build these buildings, everyone gets these insane powers. We had a good time with that!

We also played Chaos in the Old World and had a fun game. Nurgle won (and it was that player's first time playing Nurgle) so that was a treat. It came down to some bad ending rolls for Khorne, but still everyone had fun.

Lastly, new to the table was the FFG version of DungeonQuest. At first everyone was a little skeptical and one player was highly irritated with a Ferrox event nearly killing him. However, people started to get into it and succumbed to the madness and everyone had fun (only one escaped, and escaped with a 4000 point diamond from the Catacombs). Even the guy whose torch went out only one tile from the entrance, who spent two turns relighting only to find a secret passage that lead him to a bottomless pit into which he promptly plummeted to his doom enjoyed the game. And we spent the rest of the night making "pit" puns and singing the bard song of Hugo the Glorious. It went as follows:
"Have you heard the tale of Hugo the Glorious, whose torch ran out and he fell into a pit... no seriously... that's all." We later added "He's still falling in the bottomless pit, we look over the edge and all of us spit, we listen real close hoping to hear a HIIIIT!! That is the story... of Hugo the Glorious." So the game is completely random, but also produces some very hilarious results.

RE: Twilight Imperium 3rd - 14 hours???? We have some pretty AP prone people in my gaming group and I think our max was about 8 hours - and we averaged about 5-7. Now we typically only play 3-4 players, so I could see that adding three more players would certainly add more hours, but 14 hours seems a bit much. That sounds like people are not taking advantage of that Imperial card (the 2 points is equal to completing your goal card and can be taken numerous times) or are being "wiener turtles" rather than actually getting out and being aggressive. Still, you have to put a full day into it - or it isn't going to work. FWIW, our games of Arkham Horror seem to also take about 4-6 hours.

And re: Pandemic. I used to love Pandemic until Defenders. Now I can't seem myself playing it. The Roles are uninteresting, the theme is non-existent, and the components are shoddy. Actually, I started to lose my love of Pandemic with Ghost Stories, which is a far more interesting game that takes a shorter time to play. I wish I hadn't bought the Pandemic expansion...
Jow

Post by Jow »

Bael: We had some real dick aliens (handed out randomly from the green aliens since we had a few first-time players). I ended up with the Barbarian (when winning a challenge as the offense, go through losing opponent's hand, take # cards = to number of ships the Barbarian player committed to the attack, and then discard the remainder of the hand) and one other player had Trader (before encounter cards are played when you are a main player, trade hands with your opponent). Rounding out the list were the Zombie, Vulch, and Warrior. To make things even more ridiculous, the Sorcerer flare and the Reincarnator flare were both in the deck. Two of us got our powers completely changed, the Zombie and Trader aliens had their powers switched with the Sorcerer... it was all very silly.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Three powers, choose from six flares, five flares from each go in, two moons per system, reverse hexes, bwa hahahahaha! Man I need two more cosmic players...
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I vote 20 times for Dominion!!! :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Looks like I'll be breaking out Castle Ravenloft here in a few minutes for some solo play!

I'm hoping to do a dual review of Castle Ravenloft and DungeonQuest solo on BGG tonight. We will see how that goes.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

baelthazar wrote:Looks like I'll be breaking out Castle Ravenloft here in a few minutes for some solo play!

I'm hoping to do a dual review of Castle Ravenloft and DungeonQuest solo on BGG tonight. We will see how that goes.
Got my copy today, but I'm due on for some DDO, and then I have to get a presentation ready for tomorrow. Dammit.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

This weekend we got two new games, but finally got around to playing one tonight.

Saturday/Sunday we opened up Tobago and it was an instant hit with my wife and 8 year old son. My wife especially liked the logic puzzle aspect of having to figure out what clue cards can be played and when it's a good time to do so. We haven't really pegged down a strategy for a "winning" game yet... so far we just enjoy sorting out where treasures are more so than digging them up and winning the game :) Played a game with my in-laws on Sunday as well and they liked it too. Only negative we have with the game so far is that it looks like it could have easily been a 2-6 player game instead of a 2-4 player game. We might try added players with some spare cubes/chits we have laying around.

My wife was out tonight so my son and I decided to give Defenders of the Realm a try. Game is halted after about 1 1/2 slow hours of figuring it out. So far, it seems like we've been hammered with a lot of unlucky overrun-triggered taints. Think we had 6 or 7 crystals out in the first 5 turns or so, and are sitting at 10 right now. In the interest of seeing our first game progress we decided to suspend further overrun taints. We downed the Orc general with a combined attack of 9 dice rolls. Son got 2 hits with 3 dice then I took my 6 rolls... and came up with 2 misses and 2 parries :( Then my son remembered he had the "Battle Luck" card that allows failures to be rerolled... managed to kill him off with the reroll.

I just started perusing the FAQ and already learned we made a notable mistake. I drew the Cleric which was great since we had a ton of crystals to clean up. Read her card and didn't know if I got to roll 2 dice per attempt like a "normal" heal attempt or just 1. 1 didn't seem like such a good ability (even if it's discard-free) so I was cleaning up by rolling 2 dice. Seems that's a mistake. I can only image we'd be overrun with taints by now playing by the rules.

Now I'm concerned that the reroll during our Orc general battle should have included the parries or not... that is, are 1s a "failure" to be rerolled or would it just have been 2's in this case.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

To be honest Daveman, I would go with the option that favors the players in the reroll question. Defenders is hard enough - we have played about 6 times now and I have only seen one win.

We were also playing the Cleric wrong. I'm not sure I like the ruling there, as it is one more "wait, but..." type rule to remember and tell people as the card wording is unclear.

I'm going to post some more pics of my Castle Ravenloft run on BGG tomorrow and write up a solo-play impressions. I think I'll play a game of DungeonQuest and daisy chain those two together in a neat sort of dual review.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

At Origins, the creators were saying that Defenders of the Realm was supposed to be 1/3 win at the start, ending up near 1/2 over time playing and slightly over 1/2 with experience.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Just read the part of the FAQ that covers the Orc general... his parry ability kicks in *after* rerolls so we were legal. There's a ton of stuff in the 20-page FAQ, including a lot of stuff that seems silly to me. For example, if the Orc general is "killed" but there are still players committed to the battle who haven't rolled yet, you have to keep rolling in case more parries are rolled... potentially absorbing more hits and preventing him from dying??

For a game with very solid production quality... the rules were by far the worst part.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:At Origins, the creators were saying that Defenders of the Realm was supposed to be 1/3 win at the start, ending up near 1/2 over time playing and slightly over 1/2 with experience.
Did you pick DotR up at Origins? I can't remember. Of course, I am very old.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daveman, can you link that FAQ?

I figure that DotR is a game that needs some house rules. I love the game, don't get me wrong, but the rules are Byzantine.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/5 ... -realm-faq" target="_blank

It's a PDF flie you have to download. After you enter the spam-protection word there's a link to the download. Why it isn't on the Eagle Games site (which has a section for FAQs and such is beyond me.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:
Zarathud wrote:At Origins, the creators were saying that Defenders of the Realm was supposed to be 1/3 win at the start, ending up near 1/2 over time playing and slightly over 1/2 with experience.
Did you pick DotR up at Origins? I can't remember. Of course, I am very old.
Almost, but I decided against buying becuase I'm running out of space and didn't want to splurge on a big box if it's not going to be used. I'm also torn between DotR and Castle Ravenloft.

I've just decided against getting Ascension -- I think it could be better than Thunderstone but I'd probably rather play Innovation or just keep playing Dominion.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've been thinking about picking up Ravenloft as well. It's generating some good buzz on BGG so far. Plus, although not cheap, it's not FFG expensive.
He won. Period.
Jow

Post by Jow »

Turns out a friend of mine just ordered both of the Summoner Wars base sets. Really looking forward to checking it out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jow wrote:Turns out a friend of mine just ordered both of the Summoner Wars base sets. Really looking forward to checking it out.
I love it. It has a chess like feel but with Magic style cards (minus the Collectible part). The only downside is the paper maps that come with the base sets. I picked up the premium hard board at Gencon and it really helps.

Colby (the designer) is very active on BGG in the summoners wars forum. Stop by if you have any questions.
He won. Period.
Jow

Post by Jow »

incidentally, speaking of chess, have you ever played Navia Dratp?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

My solo-play review ofCastle Ravenloft on Boardgame Geek.

Toot toot on my own horn.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:I've been thinking about picking up Ravenloft as well. It's generating some good buzz on BGG so far. Plus, although not cheap, it's not FFG expensive.
I've got a copy of it if you want to try it out first before you buy it. Are you around at all this weekend?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Just finished a 2nd game of Defenders of the Realm... this one went much differently than our first learning game and my son and I enjoyed it a lot, even though it was a very close loss. The last general (the Demon) was right next to Monarch City, and we had 2 of the 3 heroes we thought we'd need to tackle him in position when his final movement card came up. We came to realize that in our first game the initial random placement of Minions created several clusters of 3 right off the bat, then the first few Darkness Spread cards happened to add to those as well, so we were hit with several taints and overruns from the start. This game I think we only had 6 taints total, and only 4 on the board when we lost.

I'm increasingly dismayed at the writing of the rules however and reading the FAQ just frustrates me more. Toward the end of the game we drew the Orc War Party card that reads "Add 1 Orc to each location that currently has 1 Orc and only 1 Orc on it." Emphasis there is mine. So we read the card, put a few Orcs in spots that had just 1 Orc on them... then my son asked about a few spots that had 1 Orc plus 1-2 other Minions on them. I replied that while there is only 1 Orc, there are other guys there too, and that's certainly more than "1 Orc and only 1 Orc on it" so no, we won't put Orcs there.

So I see that card has an entry in the FAQ too...

"Yes - regardless of any other conditions, if there is 1 Orc and only 1 Orc on the location when playing Orc War Party Minions, another Orc is added."

:?
theohall

Post by theohall »

Just finished 1st three games of Carcassone this evening. Will be playing some more this weekend.

Looks like Settlers of Cataan will be the next purchase. Recommendations here have been spot on.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

As promised, my second part of my Delving with Myself series - a solo play review of the new Fantasy Flight Games DungeonQuest.

More tootage...
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

theohall wrote:Just finished 1st three games of Carcassone this evening. Will be playing some more this weekend.

Looks like Settlers of Cataan will be the next purchase. Recommendations here have been spot on.
basic or did you buy The Big Box? We played Car Wars (kenetickid and I with our sons), and Magic EDH style all night before heading off to Ren Fest. Also had a very nice time playing Charades with five of the kids around the fire.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

theohall

Post by theohall »

Chaosraven wrote:
theohall wrote:Just finished 1st three games of Carcassone this evening. Will be playing some more this weekend.

basic or did you buy The Big Box? We played Car Wars (kenetickid and I with our sons), and Magic EDH style all night before heading off to Ren Fest. Also had a very nice time playing Charades with five of the kids around the fire.
Basic for now. Might make it a gift and get the Big Box for TX. Enjoyed the simplicity, but found ourselves making up variants the second day - like starting with a "hand" of tiles (5), drawing one and playing any of the 6. Allowed for some strategy vice the complete randomness of just drawing. Tried one were we each took 23 tiles, could not look until the remaining two were placed with the initial one, then rolled a die to see who placed each of those tiles. The one non-tile placer then went first.

Really need to try it with the expansions.

Also played the basic Settlers of Cataan online. Looks like the gamers here will enjoy that one, as well.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I played Egrizia, Royal Palace, Code 777, Jerusalem, World Without End, Bottle Imp, and Dominion with proxied Prosperity cards. I loved the new Dominion even though we did have to use proxies. I also really enjoyed Code 777, which was recently released after about a 15 year absence. Bottle Imp is an interesting trick taking game that will take some serious time to really get good at.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

On Saturday, I played 2 fantastic games of Castle Ravenloft with hepcat and hentzau. The pacing and tension turned out to be remarkably similar to the last time I played the module -- 20 years ago. The requirement that you keep exploring (and get attacked by monsters) or risk a complication from drawing an encounter card creates some strategic choices and keeps the game going. We should have lost the last game after starting with an Enviroment "encounter" that inflicted damage every time we discarded a treasure. There are a lot of treasures that you have to discard and it made "lucky finds" incredibly painful. We took more damage from our treasure than the monsters.

Played perhaps the longest game of Citadels I have ever encountered on Sunday -- 3 hours. We had 8 players who were extremely social and distracted until their turn. While the gameplay suffered from the game length, we had a great time. One of the people there looked just like Bill from Left 4 Dead and was a zombie film fanatic, so there are a lot of new films to netflix.

I also played a late night game of Pirate's Cove with a smaller group of 5 people. It's hard to avoid combat with a group that large, and the mechanics get really brutal if you fall behind after losing combats. I named my ship the "HMS Leaky Tub" because my ship got shot up badly for the first half of the game. Only by choosing a sub-optimal strategy could I get a respectable score by the end. Still, there were some hysterical moments when combats turned particlarly nasty and parrots became prime targets for destruction. The hidden, simultaneous movement turned out to be a fun mechanic.

Played Gulo Gulo today with my 3-year old daughter (thanks, hentazu). She did a great job in our first game where her tiny hands provided a massive advantage over my meaty paws in picking eggs from a bowl. She couldn't keep her excitement contained and was bouncing in her seat in our second game. Unfortunately, I told her to calm down or we couldn't play any more. So naturally she knocked down the "egg alarm" a few minutes later when waving her "Gulo" figure around and started apologizing in a gush of tears. So sad and adorable at the same time.

We also played Knuckling Knights today, where the 3 year old happily fed knights into a tower (to save the princess, of course) and then giggled hysterically when pulling the gate to let them tumble down....to fall into pits. It's funny how dropping 15+ figures down an incline can cause them to roll into two little holes strategically placed on the board.

The 3 year old also enjoyed Pengoloo where she got to pick up penguin figures to see the color of the eggs they were covering. My dad showed her the "ball hidden under the plastic cup" parlor trick and she thought it was hysterically funny. The penguins made the whole gimmick more fun, and it's basically a cute memory game for the 3-year old to learn taking turns.

I hope to get around to playing Innovation sometime. It seems like an interestingly themed trick game.
theohall

Post by theohall »

My housemates went and picked up the Tower Expansion for Carcassone today from a brick and mortar store. They were looking for the Big Box with a butt load of expansions, but settled on this for now. Talk about making Carcassone into a truly hate-your-neighbor type of game, the Tower does it.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Add the Dragon expansion and the Count expansion for more mayhem. Kids gone for the weekend, went to Ren Fest. Played Lost Worlds with my son.
"Where are you off to?"

theohall

Post by theohall »

Chaosraven wrote:Add the Dragon expansion and the Count expansion for more mayhem. Kids gone for the weekend, went to Ren Fest. Played Lost Worlds with my son.
Big Box 2 on Amazon for 60.80.... Looks like a long weekend of Carcinsanity coming up.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

I picked up Race for the Galaxy, and love it. I downloaded the AI I found on BGG, and it kicks my ass. I've won like 10% of the games. Do I just suck?
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chaosraven wrote:Add the Dragon expansion and the Count expansion for more mayhem. Kids gone for the weekend, went to Ren Fest. Played Lost Worlds with my son.
Kids gone for the weekend and you have the weekend off? You really need to bring chaosfearie out to Girl in a Coma tonight. She will absolutely love them. And it's a cheap show. ($10)

SpaceLord wrote:I picked up Race for the Galaxy, and love it. I downloaded the AI I found on BGG, and it kicks my ass. I've won like 10% of the games. Do I just suck?
It's not just you. The new version has so many cards going in so many directions that there is a lot of luck involved in winning. Add to this that the AI behave erratically, so you can't count on an of the AI players acting in their own best interests. I before the last expansion I could win 70 to 90% of the time counting on the bad AI but now the luck of the cards plus the strange AI behavior makes it all a crap shoot. You really need to luck in to a strong opening hand where you get one of a few things. An instant military machine complete with military planets. The means to draw cards. Multiple planets that produce victory points. Or an easy way to get in the prestige game. Many of these require your opening hand to have a matching opening planet and I find that combo is rare.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

SpaceLord wrote:I picked up Race for the Galaxy, and love it. I downloaded the AI I found on BGG, and it kicks my ass. I've won like 10% of the games. Do I just suck?
The AI is brutal, but it's an interesting occasionally to see how it's cobbled together combos out of nothing. I've become much more adaptable after playing the AI. The options have insanely increased with the Brink of War expansion which plays to the computer's strengths. And made it impossible to second-guess when choosing turn phases.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Picked up Ascension last saturday and played a couple games last night. It's a nice, light deck building game that combines aspects of Dominion and Thunderstone into one game. The setup is quick and play time is around 30 to 45 minutes (less if you aren't prone to over analysis or you've played a few times).

Also got in another game of Summoner Wars.

As usual, I lost every game I played last night.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

How did you guys like Castle Ravenloft. I'm very much digging it. I hope to play a multiple adventurer solo game tonight!

I'm setting up a game of Twilight Imperium for Sunday. So excited! I got the expansion yesterday, because I heard it added a ton. I heard right!

Can anyone comment on the game Titan? I'm trying to do some BGG game trades, and this is one that is a possibility. I'm looking to trade off my copy of Pandemic + On the Brink expansion, Memoir 44, and possibly Cyclades. After getting Ghost Stories and Defender, I don't think I could play Pandemic again, and my wife wasn't a big fan of Memoir 44 (and if I play 2-player, it is usually with my wife).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed Ravenloft a great deal. I know Hentzau was getting annoyed with the two guys who kept coming over the table to add asides that they hated D&D 4th edition rules, or that the game of Ravenloft they just played at another table didn't impress them (Hent annoyed cracks me up...you can see the struggle to remain pleasant going on under his forced smile...but he handles himself better than I would if I just purchased a 65 dollar game and some jackass kept telling me it wasn't as fun as other games of its kind), but I honestly thought it was fun. I liked that everyone could play, unlike Descent (which I still enjoy, don't get me wrong).

I've been eyeing Titan for a while tool. ChaosRaven showed it to me years ago at an Octocon get together and I keep debating over it. They recently had it for 30 bucks on Tanga and I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on it then. :(

As for Twilight Imperium, let us know what your time was with the expansion. I keep saying I've abandoned the game, but if the expansion cleans it up a bit and shortens the game time, I may just reinvest in it.

p.s. get your ass to the next Ocoton in November so we can all get a game in together. same goes to jow, smoove and the rest of you boardgamers.
He won. Period.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I've only played Castle Ravenloft once and I liked it a lot - my sons are looking forward to giving it another spin tomorrow.

we've played Summoner Wars a couple of times this week, inspired by the arrival of my "premium board". scrapping the paper playmat has made the game much more enjoyable :)

and I have Ascension on order, hoping it will arrive next week, in time for my boardgaming "group"* day next weekend.

*mostly me, my kids and one other guy, but others occasionally turn up
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

freelunch wrote:
we've played Summoner Wars a couple of times this week, inspired by the arrival of my "premium board". scrapping the paper playmat has made the game much more enjoyable :)
+1 on the premium board. a much better experience.

i've come to the conclusion that I need to hide my orc faction deck. the one person I play with consistently uses only that deck (well, in the three or four games we've played) and i can find no way to defeat them. they're like tanks. and since ranged units usually only get 3 spaces to shoot through, the orcs can close in one turn and just tear them to pieces.

...of course, I AM an idiot.
He won. Period.