OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Skinypupy

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Skinypupy »

7WD will be one to play with Little B 11.4. She enjoys competitive games, and from what I remember from playing it with my brother, it’s about at her comprehension level.

Good lord, Firefly is a table hog. Got about halfway through my first game before getting an overwhelming urge to watch Serenity for the umpteenth time. Will have to finish tomorrow.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Teaching 18Chesapeake today on 18xx.games. It's a really good game with a really good online implementation. Hopefully at some point I'll get to play a full game with experienced players, but I'm learning the nuances of the game every time I teach. This will be my fourth teach and my sixth play. I like it more and more each time I play, a really good buy for me.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Last weekend I played Before the Wind, a 2007 game about (yawn) trading goods as a merchant in the port of Amsterdam. It is fundamentally a game of set collection and auctions, as every round is a set of auctions on different cards, which will give you the different goods needed to fulfill the orders of specific ships in the harbor. The other key mechanic is "spoilage": after a certain point, goods in your hand with go bad and become useless, so triggering that point before your opponent can complete orders is a key strategy.

The theme is bone-dry, but the auctions and spoilage mechanics make for plenty of direct player interaction. Not exceptional, but solid. It falls squarely into the "If my friend wants to play it, sure I'll join in" category.
RobinS87

Post by RobinS87 »

The last game I played was the last of us 2. I thought it was impossible to surprise me anymore. But this is the most amazing game I've played.

Write who played how many games in their life
I have over 80. These are not multiplayer games
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A good day of games today. Mythic Battles: Pantheon, which is an absolutely ridiculous mountain of plastic, colliding in endless dice rolls. It's ridiculously expensive, but a friend of mine picked up a copy on the cheap from someone moving house. Really fun overall, although it can be difficult to keep track of the different powers of so many characters.

Also Finca, a relatively simple game of collecting and selling fruit that still managed to generate a fair amount of brain-burning. It's the most straightforward rondel-based game I've played.

Finally good old Cosmic Encounter, with a couple of people who don't play board games all that often. The rules explanation was a bit of a slog, but then they took to it like ducks to water. Fun and funny.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:28 am Finally good old Cosmic Encounter, with a couple of people who don't play board games all that often. The rules explanation was a bit of a slog, but then they took to it like ducks to water. Fun and funny.
Glad to hear they were able to enjoy the experience even after slogging through the rules explanation. It's definitely not an easy game to explain or teach effectively. In my experience, the following BGG thread provides the optimum method for doing so, FWIW:

How to effectively teach Cosmic Encounter
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Time of Crisis today. I've only played this once before, with two players, and it felt like the map was way too big for the two of us. This time we had the full complement of four players, and it made a world of difference. Lots of jockeying for power, painful and triumphant dice rolls, etc.

It was great fun, super thematic, and has driven me to revisit the relevant episodes of Mike Duncan's The History of Rome podcast (events coinciding with Time of Crisis start at episode 107).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud taught me Dinogenics Sunday. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Anyone know anything about this one? :ninja:

<I keed, I keed...great game though!>
Covfefe!
ezmacncheese

Post by ezmacncheese »

I finally got Hungarian Rhapsody clipped and set up this last weekend. Took me 3/4 of Saturday to set up the one map Battle of Debrecen scenario. Of course there were interruptions for honey-do list stuff so it wasn't all setup during that time. Lots of Soviet infantry divisions that all look the same except the division # printed on the counter take the most time to sort out. I'm doing a solo run through to get familiar with the rules, both game and series, as it's been a while since I have OCSed. Took me another half of Sunday to get through the Soviet's first turn. It's a big game and there's lots of counters to push and things to think about. I got the "you're wasting your life" speech from the wife. I think this game will be a great convention game for when, you know, we can actually have conventions again. :(

I also got in a game of Command and Colors: Medieval with my dad. He's aging and had a stroke a decade ago so he struggles with the rules but it's fun for us to bond over and I don't mind walking him through stuff.
AWS260 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:30 pm

Time of Crisis today. I've only played this once before, with two players, and it felt like the map was way too big for the two of us. This time we had the full complement of four players, and it made a world of difference. Lots of jockeying for power, painful and triumphant dice rolls, etc.

It was great fun, super thematic, and has driven me to revisit the relevant episodes of Mike Duncan's The History of Rome podcast (events coinciding with Time of Crisis start at episode 107).
ToC is a really fun game. Curious, when you played with two players before did you reduce the map size or play with the full map?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:14 pm Zarathud taught me Dinogenics Sunday. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Anyone know anything about this one? :ninja:

It really is. Surprised this is the first time you've played it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

ezmacncheese wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:36 am ToC is a really fun game. Curious, when you played with two players before did you reduce the map size or play with the full map?
We used the reduced map size, but it still felt pretty low-friction. The fact that we were both new players probably contributed to that.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I am playing Feast for Odin for the first time (on Discord - one guy owns the game and posts pictures as the game state changes). Man, this is one weird-ass game. It basically takes the highly thematic survival vibe of Agricola or Caverna, and asks, "What if we added Tetris?"

I think both Agricola and Caverna (and Le Havre, the other Uwe Rosenberg game I've played) do a great job of melding theme and gameplay, so Feast has thrown me for a loop. It is not a-thematic like so many bland eurogames. It is aggressively anti-thematic: arranging different-shaped goods on a Tetris grid has no reasonable analogue in reality whatsover. It's really interesting to see such a deliberate design decision, clearly grounded in a belief that sometime it's more important just to make game mechanisms that are fun.

Our game is barely halfway through, but so far, it's working.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

On impulse I picked up Marvel United at Walmart the other night. I really had not given it much thought at all, but when I saw those cool minis (or not?) :lol: I couldn't resist. I figured worst case maybe the kids would play it at some point.

About halfway through I was like, "Yeah, this is way too easy" and was about to dismiss it as a kid's game. Right before I lost. I had over-confidently let some locations go as I leisurely waltzed around the board, not realizing I could find myself in a situation where I couldn't get to Red Skull while he pounded on some hapless civilians. Whoops.

It's very light, but it plays quick. Was reminiscent in some ways of other Marvel games like Champions and Thanos Rising, though those (particularly Champions) provide a bit more strategic thinking. Still, it's a fun little game and is not a bad addition to my collection. I love to have some quick soloable games in my arsenal for those times when I just don't have time for the massive dungeon crawlers.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:14 pm Zarathud taught me Dinogenics Sunday. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Anyone know anything about this one? :ninja:

:oops:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, you're familiar with this little gem?
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:24 pm Oh, you're familiar with this little gem?
It’s a shame I have some degree of morals. I see people selling copies on eBay for upwards of $300 and I have a few hundred copies sitting in a warehouse waiting to sell (for normal prices) once I am confident the majority of replacements have been taken care of.
Zarathud

OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Zarathud »

Speaking of which, I laughed at the scarred corrupted T-Rex meeple is a feature not a bug post. Received my replacement bits. Hope everything goes smoothly as you wrap up fulfillment.

Playing really opened up a lot of interesting options. What I was trying to do with my superior dino DNA didnt quite work out while hepcat leaned into the corrupted bad-boys and Manipulation to leapfrog me hard.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:26 pm Speaking of which, I laughed at the scarred corrupted T-Rex meeple is a feature not a bug post.
If that's what you're after, there's another KS which should have that covered:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Zarathud wrote: Mon May 23, 2016 1:56 am

Argent was...nothing like I expected. I like my Euro worker placement, and it was definitely a Euro with a great theme. You start out the 1st of 5 rounds feeling like an apprentice, with only 1 spell and no knowledge of the "deans" in charge. The ability to choose your starting mix of workers (with their special actions) pairs nicely with the placement options, which end up supplemented by all the supporters (1 time bonus), equipment (1 time or 1/turn bonuses), spells (powered by mana) and resources (# of spells, # of spell levels, mana and bonus actions) you acquire by the 5th turn. Once again, I accumulated an engine -- this time to acquire tons of spells underneath everyone else's noses while they all fought for the awesome equipment -- and at the end knew all of the victory conditions. Fortunately, most of the deans in our game were looking for factions of spells and supporters. So the factions in my spell acquisition engine helped me lock down most of the deans' votes. Still, it was a tense game because at the end EVERYTHING, including VP, is all secondary to getting the most votes.
Several years late to the party, but I just played Argent: The Consortium for the first time and really enjoyed it. I love how much it encourages you to be a bully, pushing around other players' workers to make room for your own. Tense and mean in a really fun way.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love Argent. I backed the 2nd edition for the upgrade and expansions, which gave me such an incredible amount of replayability it’s ridiculous. That and Anachrony are my go to games for worker placement.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I meed to get Everdell to the table...
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

you still haven't replied to my last game day invite, punk.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Been laid up playing patient in a cut-rate version of Operation. On the mend, but take care of yourselves!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Picked up Call To Adventure today. While the gameplay itself is quite simple and a little more RNG that I'd like, I really enjoy the way it builds a character story. The theme and structure of the game (along with the fantastic artwork) creates a very epic feel that overcomes some of the inherent gameplay shortcomings.

Plus, casting runes instead of chucking dice is just cool.

I also finally got my list of owned games into BGG. I'm just glad they don't show the prices. :lol:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:02 pm Picked up Call To Adventure today. While the gameplay itself is quite simple and a little more RNG that I'd like, I really enjoy the way it builds a character story. The theme and structure of the game (along with the fantastic artwork) creates a very epic feel that overcomes some of the inherent gameplay shortcomings.

I also finally got my list of owned games into BGG. I'm just glad they don't show the prices. :lol:
Did you play it solo, co-op, or vs.? I'm curious how well it plays in its different forms.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't like it for solo play (you didn't ask me, but I can at least jump in). It's a beautiful game - the card art is really evocative and well done. My issue with it was that I am not really sure it's a game. Instead, it felt more to me like it was like an RPG character creator and for solo you're trying to craft a character that's acquiring runes that will defeat a specific foe. If that's what you're looking for, it delivers. But in terms of playing a game? I just didn't see myself reaching for it ever again after a few times of playing.

I don't know if that would have changed playing with someone else either. I guess I agree with Liz - she sums it up well. To me it felt like the first iteration of a game. Kinda how I also felt when playing Folklore. It didn't feel like it was done.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A 4-player game of the new Versailles 1919 this weekend. Observations:

The theme is very much my jam. Reliving the convoluted negotiations that brought and end to WW1? Yes please.

I love how the mechanics encourage you to negotiate, compromise, and sometimes just plain fold in order to succeed over the long term. Very thematic and engaging.

It's very procedural -- a single person's term can be as simple as retrieving some "exhausted" influence cubes, or so convoluted that it triggers a dozen specific steps, several of which require other players to make game-changing decisions. Once we had the procedures down, things went smoothly, but it was a bit of a mountain to climb at first.

The production quality is a mixed bag. The board is beautiful, as much as a board about diplomatic negotiation can be. The cards are lovely and readable, but marred by a few obvious errors that should have been caught in playtesting or proofreading. The manual is excellent overall, but suffers from some minor typos (affect/effect, etc), and more importantly unclear writing, especially in the section about end-game scoring. In fact, our game ended inconclusively because of one unclear end-game scoring condition. We cleared it up afterward by finding a relevant BGG thread, but that's not a great feeling to end a game on.

Versailles 1919 is the kind of game that you really only start to understand about two-thirds through your first game, so I'm looking forward to playing it again at some point.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:00 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:02 pm Picked up Call To Adventure today. While the gameplay itself is quite simple and a little more RNG that I'd like, I really enjoy the way it builds a character story. The theme and structure of the game (along with the fantastic artwork) creates a very epic feel that overcomes some of the inherent gameplay shortcomings.

Did you play it solo, co-op, or vs.? I'm curious how well it plays in its different forms.
Only solo so far, just finished my 11th game. I'm 6 wins, 5 losses against the AI. Hoping to teach Little B 11.6 tonight and play both co-op and versus.

Smoove is right in that it's an incredibly light game, but I actually find that to be a positive. It's easy to set up, and games only take 20-30 minutes to complete. If things don't turn out as I'd like, it's pretty easy to just reset and start over again. That fit the bill perfectly for this weekend, but I'll admit that probably had lots to do with my overall mood. With everything else going on in the world, there's no way I could have handled a 2-hour brain-burner game.

My guess is that it won't have ton of longevity and will be a game that I have to really be in the mood for. That said, I would certainly give it a thumbs-up for the $30 I paid for it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I think it's priced right and being light isn't something I mark as negative. I'm not sure I have a game that's exactly like it, but if I had to pick it would be in the same family as Gloom of Killforth or the Aventuria card game. In in those cases, I found myself reaching for those (solo) over Call to Adventure, so as usual, space decisions were made.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:50 pm if I had to pick it would be in the same family as Gloom of Killforth
I had Killforth in my cart on some site a few months ago and didn't pull the trigger. Kicking myself for that, as it seems nearly impossible to find now without paying an arm and a leg.
or the Aventuria card game.
Gorramit Smoove, you're going to cost me another $35!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wait until I start posting about Too Many Bones Undertow in the solo thread. :lol:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:01 pm Wait until I start posting about Too Many Bones Undertow in the solo thread. :lol:
Oh, I've already taken a principled stand on TMB. I ain't paying $140 for a single game.

Yet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good news then! Undertow is only $89!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Lol then you fall into the deep end. Gorgeous, fun game though.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I have TMB core set and a couple of extra Gearloc's and really like the game. A couple of month's ago when folks were talking about the chest, I thought about increasing what I have and looked through the Chip Theory website. Looks like it would run me $335 for "almost" everything, not including some of the cosmetic stuff. Definitely going to put a pin in that until I can actually get other folks to the table again. :doh:
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm waiting on my treasure trove storage chest to arrive in the next few weeks. :oops:
Covfefe!
disarm

Post by disarm »

I don't do a lot of tabletop gaming, but I'm trying to get my kids (12yo twin girls, 6yo boy) more interested so that we can have more family fun at home. We started with Ticket to Ride last month, and the kids really like it...even the 6yo gets the basics enough to have fun, even if he doesn't understand much strategy yet.

Thanks to looking back through this thread and doing some other online research, I just ordered a few more games that will be delivered tomorrow...

Blokus - conceptually simple enough that even the youngest can play, but a nice competitive game for everyone.

Castle Panic - perfect premise for a 6yo boy, and his sisters should be able to help him play once we learn the rules together

Forbidden Island - something a little more complex for the older two, but still cooperative so they can all work together

I really tried to emphasize cooperative games because someone always seems to get upset when a game doesn't go their way...and all the classic-style games that they play now (Uno, Sorry, Trouble) seem to end up at that point eventually thanks to really emphasizing vindictive gameplay. Either that, or a game is totally luck-based rather than strategy and the youngest gets upset over a streak of bad luck. Hopefully, these will lead to good times and more interest in games (instead of tv) going forward... maybe even enough excitement to convince my wife to give them a chance...

In any case, thanks for all the discussion and recommendations!

Last edited by disarm on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hepcat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:11 pm I'm waiting on my treasure trove storage chest to arrive in the next few weeks. :oops:
Same here. When I heard the shipping priority was by first name, I tried to change my name to Aaron Abacus, but they didn't buy it. :cry:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I use William instead of Bill whenever signing anything for shipping, etc., so I lost out big time. :x :P
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

disarm wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:11 pm I don't do a lot of tabletop gaming, but I'm trying to get my kids (12yo twin girls, 6yo boy) more interested so that we can have more family fun at home. We started with Ticket to Ride last month, and the kids really like it...even the 6yo gets the basics enough to have fun, even if he doesn't understand much strategy yet.

Thanks to looking back through this thread and doing some other online research, I just ordered a few more games that will be delivered tomorrow...

Blokus - conceptually simple enough that even the youngest can play, but a nice competitive game for everyone.

Castle Panic - perfect premise for a 6yo boy, and his sisters should be able to help him play once we learn the rules together

Forbidden Island - something a little more complex for the older two, but still cooperate so they can all work together

I really tried to emphasize cooperative games because someone always seems to get upset when a game doesn't go their way...and all the classic-style games that they play now (Uno, Sorry, Trouble) seem to end up at that point eventually thanks to really emphasizing vindictive gameplay. Either that, or a game is totally luck-based rather than strategy and the youngest gets upset over a streak of bad luck. Hopefully, these will lead to good times and more interest in games (instead of tv) going forward... maybe even enough excitement to convince my wife to give them a chance...

In any case, thanks for all the discussion and recommendations!
This is fantastic! One key point to keep in mind is that you don't need a lot of games -- if you find a couple that the kids really like, just play 'em until they're falling apart. Like we did in the Olden Times, before there were 20 new board games released every month.

I haven't played Castle Panic, but I think that Blokus and Forbidden Island are both fantastic choices.

As far as other games go, a few that are very good and kid-friendly are Small World (a fun take on the "dudes on a map" genre), Evolution (quasi-educational!), and Sushi Go.