Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by coopasonic » Wed May 15, 2019 5:01 pm

AWS260 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm
The player boards, on the other hand, are awfully chintzy -- particularly given how critical they are to the game play. The whole game, we were terrified that someone would accidentally bump the table or brush their sleeve over their player board, sending cubes scattering. The publisher needs to take a cue from Ninth Haven and upgrade to double-layer boards that can hold tracking cubes in place.
There are several third party solutions out there for this. If it is your game, get one of them.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/165689 ... n-overlays
-Coop

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud » Wed May 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Terraforming Mars is a great game. An organizer and game board helper is worthwhile.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Wed May 15, 2019 8:27 pm

I backed the kickstarter expansion recently primarily for the new player boards. The broken token ones are better than the flimsy originals, but the lack of color always bugs me.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud » Wed May 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Paint. You have miniature paints.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic » Sun May 19, 2019 7:58 am

Yesterday was "Stone Age" Saturday in our household... no it doesn't mean we played Stone Age all day, it means electronics are off limits for the day. No video games, tablets, whatever... I mean TV was still on the table because come on. Anyway, with nothing better to do we played a few games. We started with Meteor, which I still can't believe is winnable when played by the rules. Then we played a few rounds of 5 Second Rule which is a very simple party game. We then played an actual game, Scotland Yard. It was the first time anyone in the family played, including me, and my older son caught me on about the 7th turn (out of 22 turns needed for a Mr. X win). Then I brought out Ticket to Ride, but nobody bit. Oh well, progress. They played something with me.
-Coop

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy » Sun May 19, 2019 10:28 am

Picked up Aeon’s End Legacy last night. More details to come in the solo gamer thread, but I’ve been absolutely blown away by this game so far. I know I have little tabletop experience, but this is truly like nothing I’ve ever seen. Amazing stuff.

Also been playing a ton of Shards of Infinity on iPad. It’s a new deck builder from the Ascension folks that is fantastic.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:43 am

coopasonic wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:58 am
Yesterday was "Stone Age" Saturday in our household... no it doesn't mean we played Stone Age all day, it means electronics are off limits for the day.
Coincidentally, I did actually play Stone Age yesterday.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch » Sun May 19, 2019 12:46 pm

coopasonic wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:58 am
Yesterday was "Stone Age" Saturday in our household... no it doesn't mean we played Stone Age all day, it means electronics are off limits for the day. No video games, tablets, whatever... I mean TV was still on the table because come on. Anyway, with nothing better to do we played a few games. We started with Meteor, which I still can't believe is winnable when played by the rules. Then we played a few rounds of 5 Second Rule which is a very simple party game. We then played an actual game, Scotland Yard. It was the first time anyone in the family played, including me, and my older son caught me on about the 7th turn (out of 22 turns needed for a Mr. X win). Then I brought out Ticket to Ride, but nobody bit. Oh well, progress. They played something with me.
If you're looking to hook your kids, mark my words, go with a decent dexterity game or two (e.g. Push It, Catacombs, Flick 'em Up, Cube Quest etc).

They're typically among the most intuitively easy games to learn, yet kids' nimble fingers almost invariably outperform the clumsy Bratwursts most grown-ups possess so they receive a natural advantage, and the games just become more amusing if and when players do bugger things up.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:51 am

On Sunday I taught my kid High Frontier. I wasn't planning to -- I was just laying out the board to refresh myself on the rules, in hopes of getting it to the table with some local folks over the summer. But he asked, so we went for it.

I have to say, it was really gratifying to see how quickly he picked up the basics of the fuel track and rocket movement, and how much he seemed to be enjoying it. At one point, I was trying to explain the nuances of a half-lander burn that my rocket was about to encounter, and he said, "I can't listen to you right now, I'm planning my next move." :)

When we wrapped up, he had a factory at the S site on the Moon and had produced his first two black cards. I, on the other hand, ignominiously failed to establish a factory on Ceres -- my rocket couldn't land because I had miscalculated and was a single fuel step short. He insisted that I take pictures of the board state so that we can pick up where we left off next time.

Enlarge Image

A couple of takeaways:
  • This is the first time I've played High Frontier against another human being. In the past, I've only played multiplayer solitaire against myself. It really makes the auction phase more interesting, and I have a better appreciation for when to auction vs. when to just collect income.
  • Jeez, this board is big. Even the small version is 2'x3', and then you need space for player boards, components, patent card stacks, glory cards, and the water bank. The table I play on is only 2'x4', so we had to use a TV tray for extra space, and even then we left the glory cards and water bank in the box on the floor.