[Boardgame] Do you think she'll notice?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We ordered Uverse a couple months ago and got two rebates in the form of VISA debit cards. One for $300 and one for $50. We actually planned to use them to defray the cost of buying a new fridge, but we haven't gotten around to fridge shopping yet. We tend to forget about things like this and I was worried about them expiring... with the talk of Dungeonquest, I was reminded of boardgame laden amazon wishlists for both myself and my son (4). If you haven't dealt with VISA gift cards, they can be hard to manage so it's best to spend them all at once. Long story short, I placed the following order from coolstuffinc:

2 - Pokemon HS - Undaunted - Booster Pack (New, CCG, Pokemon HS Undaunted ) at $2.59 each
1 - Pokemon HS - Undaunted - Daybreak Theme Deck (New, CCG, Pokemon HS Undaunted) at $8.99 each
1 - Pokemon HS - Undaunted - Nightfall Theme Deck (New, CCG, Pokemon HS Undaunted) at $8.99 each
1 - Claustrophobia Board Game (New, Board Games, Asmodee Editions) at $43.99 each
1 - Ghost Stories Board Game (New, Board Games, Asmodee Editions) at $32.99 each
1 - DungeonQuest (New, Board Games, Fantasy Flight Games) at $38.99 each
1 - Go Away Monster! Board Game (New, Board Games, Gamewright) at $7.99 each
1 - Hisss Card Game (New, Board Games, Gamewright) at $8.99 each
1 - Catan: The Kids of Catan Board Game (New, Board Games, Mayfair Games) at $39.20 each
1 - Gopher It! Card Game (New, Board Games, PlayRoom Entertainment) at $6.49 each
1 - Monkey Memory Card Game (New, Board Games, PlayRoom Entertainment) at $6.49 each
1 - Sherlock Card Game (New, Board Games, PlayRoom Entertainment) at $6.99 each
1 - Carcassonne: Kids of Carcassonne (New, Board Games, Rio Grande Games) at $18.99 each
1 - Dominion Board Game (New, Board Games, Rio Grande Games) at $27.99 each
1 - Dungeons & Dragons Castle Ravenloft Board Game (New, Board Games, Wizards of the Coast) at $42.49 each

$304.75 - SubTotal
-$6.09 - Customer Reward Non-Singles 2.0%
$0.00 - UPS -- Free Shipping
-------------------------------
$298.66 - Total

So, do you think she'll notice?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Re: [Boardgame] Do you think she'll notice?

Post by malchior »

Only if she notices the team of UPS employees filling your house with boxes. Good luck!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

malchior wrote:Only if she notices the team of UPS employees filling your house with boxes. Good luck!
The ashipping notice seems to indicate one box, 31 pounds. A bunch of these are smaller kids games,but that's gotta be a big box. The pokemon stuff is to test out my son on CCGs. I think MTG may be a wee bit beyond him. Actually Pokemon probably will be as well, but I'm willing to wait. I'm just so tired of the Cootie Game and Chutes and Ladders.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She probably won't until you guys come home one day and all your food is bad. You best prepare the cover story ahead of time...

As a gamer, I solute you. As a married guy,I fear for your safety.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Include at least one item from a sex shop with a personalized note from someone named "Cherry Love". This is known as the art of distraction...
Covfefe!
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Eh, winters coming. Buy some styrofoam coolers and leave the food stuff in the snow drifts on the porch. Say 'with all the money I saved we have winter storm entertainment' ... Brace for impact. Regarding pokemon: small children will be unlikely to handle deckbuilding, but gameplay (which is very simple) should be no problem, as it is played in turns where you send your pokemon in an attack against theirs and there isn't any reaction by defender. There aren't any Instants or Stack of effects, you take your turn and then they take theirs, very simple. Stay out of tournament scenes (where the older kids and the ones who have spent too much dominate what is surprisingly a cutthroat competition). But it is plenty fun as a 'light' ccg with kids. (of course chaosfaerie and I played with our kids...)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

News for you, that list qualifies as "boardgames." :wink:

Fire up a game of Dominion, let her win without appearing to, and she may let you live.

I heard a glowing review of Ravenloft the other day, let us know how it is.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:
malchior wrote:Only if she notices the team of UPS employees filling your house with boxes. Good luck!
The ashipping notice seems to indicate one box, 31 pounds. A bunch of these are smaller kids games,but that's gotta be a big box. The pokemon stuff is to test out my son on CCGs. I think MTG may be a wee bit beyond him. Actually Pokemon probably will be as well, but I'm willing to wait. I'm just so tired of the Cootie Game and Chutes and Ladders.
Not sure how old your son is, but if you're looking for a break form Cootie and Chutes and Ladders, he should be able to handle Castle Panic with some help from you. My 7 year old had no problems at all, it's co-op, and all of the cards have colors and pictures on them that identify what they can do.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The kids will love Go Away Monster! Board Game. It's my 3 year old's favorite board game -- so much so that we've squirreled away 2 extra sets for gifts to kid parties.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:She probably won't until you guys come home one day and all your food is bad. You best prepare the cover story ahead of time...

As a gamer, I solute you. As a married guy,I fear for your safety.
The good news is that the fridge is functional other than the icemaker producing more frost than ice. We could use one with a water filter, I guess. Also having a white fridge in a kitchen full of granite and stainless steel is apparently a no-no. :P
hepcat wrote:Include at least one item from a sex shop with a personalized note from someone named "Cherry Love". This is known as the art of distraction...
I have no words....
Chaosraven wrote:Regarding pokemon: small children will be unlikely to handle deckbuilding, but gameplay (which is very simple) should be no problem, as it is played in turns where you send your pokemon in an attack against theirs and there isn't any reaction by defender. There aren't any Instants or Stack of effects, you take your turn and then they take theirs, very simple. Stay out of tournament scenes (where the older kids and the ones who have spent too much dominate what is surprisingly a cutthroat competition). But it is plenty fun as a 'light' ccg with kids. (of course chaosfaerie and I played with our kids...)
Deckbuilding is why I went with a couple of pre-cons. I went through the intro video/CBT on the pokemon site and I think it might be tough for him but I could see him enjoying it once he gets the concept.
LawBeefaroni wrote:
News for you, that list qualifies as "boardgames." :wink:

Fire up a game of Dominion, let her win without appearing to, and she may let you live.
Lost Cities and Ticket to Ride are about her limit now, I'm not sure how Dominion would go, but I'll give it a shot.
hentzau wrote:Not sure how old your son is, but if you're looking for a break form Cootie and Chutes and Ladders, he should be able to handle Castle Panic with some help from you. My 7 year old had no problems at all, it's co-op, and all of the cards have colors and pictures on them that identify what they can do.
He's 4 and change. I have Castle Panic in the collection and we tried it a few months ago, but I think it was a little beyond him. It's not much fun for him if I'm just telling him what to do. We'll try again sometime.
Zarathud wrote:The kids will love Go Away Monster! Board Game. It's my 3 year old's favorite board game -- so much so that we've squirreled away 2 extra sets for gifts to kid parties.
Yeah, most of the kids games I picked out were based on an earlier thread here. I'm pretty excited to see what he thinks about these, though some wil lbe put away for christmas.

I told my wife about the order last night and what I used to pay for it. I'm not sure she understands the scope of what I ordered, but it should soften the blow when the refrigerator box of board games arrives on Friday. :o I told her I ordered "some boardgames" and they were "mostly for the kids". It's not a total bald-faced lie.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I have to say as a married man I am utterly baffled that you ordered ~ $300 worth of games evidently without consulting with your wife beforehand. If I told my wife that I bought "some boardgames" and $300 worth of games showed up...that would not end well for me.

Godspeed, sir.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:I have to say as a married man I am utterly baffled that you ordered ~ $300 worth of games evidently without consulting with your wife beforehand. If I told my wife that I bought "some boardgames" and $300 worth of games showed up...that would not end well for me.

Godspeed, sir.
Slush fund, my good man. Slush fund.

It's amazing how a seemingly miniscule, wife-approved regular direct deposit to a second account can add up.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote:I have to say as a married man I am utterly baffled that you ordered ~ $300 worth of games evidently without consulting with your wife beforehand. If I told my wife that I bought "some boardgames" and $300 worth of games showed up...that would not end well for me.
$300 is borderline and it becomes even more grey in that it was basically a rebate, so free money!

Even though we've been married for 11 years, we still have pretty much independent finances and relative financial freedom. In truth, I spend way more money than I should as a stress reliever which is funny because it causes financial stress. I make very good money, but I spend very good money too. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

The slack in the chain attached to the bed is supposed to reach the kitchen, not the gaming area.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:
Zarathud wrote:The kids will love Go Away Monster! Board Game. It's my 3 year old's favorite board game -- so much so that we've squirreled away 2 extra sets for gifts to kid parties.
Yeah, most of the kids games I picked out were based on an earlier thread here. I'm pretty excited to see what he thinks about these, though some wil lbe put away for christmas.

I told my wife about the order last night and what I used to pay for it. I'm not sure she understands the scope of what I ordered, but it should soften the blow when the refrigerator box of board games arrives on Friday. :o I told her I ordered "some boardgames" and they were "mostly for the kids". It's not a total bald-faced lie.
Well Go Away Monster was a little beneath my 4 year old, though he did like yelling "Go Away, Monster!" It will be good for the little one in another year or two. Hisss and Kids of Carcassonne were much bigger hits, especially Hisss. The wife and I haven't played anything. We went to see Inception at the last first run theater that was showing it instead. I checked out Dominion and Dungeonquest and I think I could see her trying Dominion at least.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The 4 year old will be able to "help" the little one. And likely postpone finishing his room by deliberately pulling monsters. You'll probably be spared my daughter's talk about how the monsters are "cute" and have to be "put to bed." The game is basically an excuse for the kids to giggle and yell "Go Away, Monster!"

I'm tempted by Hiss.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

We enjoy Hiss at my house, enough that we bought further copies as gifts for other folks. We did have a little trouble at first, because the rainbow pieces were just too desirable, and if I pulled one instead of my child, it would be a hissy fit and quick ending of the game. Fortunately, repeated efforts and getting older have helped her understand fair play.

Although I think its time to upgrade her games. Sweet! Off to shopping!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
betty01

Post by betty01 »

Spamalicious
Last edited by ImLawBoy on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

I spent probably the same amount of money (or more), but mine was more spaced out.

1.5 Months ago:
Hold the Line
Hold the Line expansion
Thunderstone Expansion

1 month ago:
Twilight Struggle Deluxe
Ascension
Hive
(picked these up at a local bazaar at the FLGS)

3 Weeks ago:
Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear
CoH Marsh expansion

1 week ago
2nd C&C Ancients Expansion (needed that mounted board)
D-Day at Omaha Beach (solitaire wargame)
Fancy Sleeves for Ascension (if UPS man shows up, it counts)

Waiting on now:
Ambush (ebay)
Central America (ebay - I have to own any wargame where Guatemala fights)
Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans

Preorder with CSI:
Here I Stand
Paths of Glory
Paths of Glory Strat Guide

Waiting for the Charge from GMT (will charge in next couple of days):
Labyrinth: The War on Terror 2001-?

GMT P-500 List:
Space Empires (they are even using Malfador's artwork)
Reds! (with 1989 I will have the bookends to the Soviet era)

Now that I've written down this list, I realize that I'm going to be in serious trouble.

Edit: I should also add that I built up some good will by dumping a bunch of games at the local bazaar including the older Twilight Struggle and paths of Glory - those mounted boards rock).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Any purchase of Twilight Struggle should be met by a "well, THAT I can understand" by any spouse or significant other. :wink:

have you seen this? same game engine as TS but supposedly streamlined to be even MORE fun. i'm waiting for some reviews, but it's on my radar.

edit: D'OH! you specifically mention it in the p500 section i missed. :oops:
Covfefe!
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

hepcat wrote:
have you seen this? same game engine as TS but supposedly streamlined to be even MORE fun. i'm waiting for some reviews, but it's on my radar.

edit: D'OH! you specifically mention it in the p500 section i missed. :oops:
Last weekend I also played Jason Matthews' other game, Founding Fathers. It plays like a 2-5 player lite version of TS. The components (board and cards) were kind of cheapy but the gameplay was excellent.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I played a game of Founding Fathers at our local gamestore after its release. I enjoyed it, but not enough to buy it. I like CDG's but I prefer the combination of that and area control that TS brings to the genre.

I bought Washington's War and The Successors because of my love of TS. I played WW once and liked it, but I found it a tougher game to wrap my mind around. I'm still waiting on the right time to spring Successors on folks.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote:have you seen this? same game engine as TS but supposedly streamlined to be even MORE fun. i'm waiting for some reviews, but it's on my radar.
The designer just posted a tutorial showing how to play 1989. Probably not that interesting for people for who have played Twilight Struggle, but very helpful for someone like me who hasn't. I'm really intrigued -- so much so that I pre-ordered it.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

regarding TCG and kids, I've actually had great luck with my niece and nephew (heck, even my sister) with the WOW TCG. It's similar enough to MAgic to be fun to me, and removes enough of the headache of Magic for the kids to grasp it and play it.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, I was cleaning my closet this weekend and realized suddenly that I have a metric ton of games I'm not even playing anymore. I think this year at Origins, I'm going to sell off a bunch.

....which I'm sure will just friggin' be replaced by new games I buy that very same weekend.

...I can't win.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:I think this year at Origins, I'm going to sell off a bunch.

....which I'm sure will just friggin' be replaced by new games I buy that very same weekend.

...I can't win.
I think that is the definition of winning myself.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Good lord, I was cleaning my closet this weekend and realized suddenly that I have a metric ton of games I'm not even playing anymore. I think this year at Origins, I'm going to sell off a bunch.

...I can't win.
I'd recommend hauling them to RockCon in late October/early November. I hauled four boxes of games out there and came home with over $500 from their silent auction.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote:
hepcat wrote:Good lord, I was cleaning my closet this weekend and realized suddenly that I have a metric ton of games I'm not even playing anymore. I think this year at Origins, I'm going to sell off a bunch.

...I can't win.
I'd recommend hauling them to RockCon in late October/early November. I hauled four boxes of games out there and came home with over $500 from their silent auction.
wow, they have that high of an attendance? I thought it was mainly a wargaming convention and that it drew only a few hundred folks at best.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:

...I can't win.
wow, they have that high of an attendance? I thought it was mainly a wargaming convention and that it drew only a few hundred folks at best.
Correct on both accounts. But when I showed up with my games, and started unloading them and getting them ready for the sale, I had people standing at the table and writing in bids and buy outs as soon as they came out of the box. Swear to god, it was like a feeding frenzy. They were taking turns buying my stuff. I sold every single item I brought.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote:
hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:

...I can't win.
Correct on both accounts. But when I showed up with my games, and started unloading them and getting them ready for the sale, I had people standing at the table and writing in bids and buy outs as soon as they came out of the box. Swear to god, it was like a feeding frenzy. They were taking turns buying my stuff. I sold every single item I brought.
hmmmm...interesting. i'm going to bug you to go with me this year then. i have the hatchback, so we can fit quite a few games. if tommy goes, he's sitting on YOUR lap, though.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:
hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:

...I can't win.
hmmmm...interesting. i'm going to bug you to go with me this year then. i have the hatchback, so we can fit quite a few games. if tommy goes, he's sitting on YOUR lap, though.
Minivan, baby. Minivan.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote:
hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:
hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:

...I can't win.
Minivan, baby. Minivan.
then you drive and tommy sits on the roof.
Covfefe!
Tommy20

Post by Tommy20 »

Not a problem, as I don't get to go anymore. Haven't been to the last three RockCons now (and it used to be my favorite con).
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We'll get you there this year, li'l buddy!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oops I did it again...

1 - Formula D Board Game (New, Board Games, Asmodee Editions) at $40.49 each
1 - Ingenious Board Game (New, Board Games, Fantasy Flight Games) at $25.99 each
1 - Micro Mutants Evolution Board Game (New, Board Games, Fantasy Flight Games) at $26.99 each
1 - Through the Desert Board Game (New, Board Games, Fantasy Flight Games) at $23.99 each
1 - Galaxy Trucker Board Game (New, Board Games, Rio Grande Games) at $48.99 each
1 - Lost Cities: The Board Game (New, Board Games, Rio Grande Games) at $25.99 each
1 - Quarriors! Dice Building Game (New, Board Games, WizKids Games) at $36.99 each
1 - Agricola Board Game (New, Board Games, Z-Man Games) at $44.99 each

Got promoted, a raise and a mini-bonus and i couldn't resist... Was really just going to get Formula D because I couldn't get my hands on powerboats, then needed $100 to get free shipping, then thought I could get Galaxy Trucker too, then decided I was close to hitting the next loyalty discount level with CSI... This order makes $1000 spent at coolstuffinc.com :o
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Congrats! We appear to have very different taste in games though... :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We still haven't gotten you to play Dominion. We may need to arrange an off-site day so I can get you up to speed on that one.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ænima wrote:Congrats! We appear to have very different taste in games though... :D
My priority is generally 2 player viable and an hour or less to play, bonus if there are no fantasy races and it doesn't appear too fiddly. This isn't actually what I want but it keeps the dream of board gaming with my wife alive.
Isgrimnur wrote:We still haven't gotten you to play Dominion. We may need to arrange an off-site day so I can get you up to speed on that one.
My wife is studying for an exam that will determine if she remains employed or not. Assuming she passes the test, I'll grow some freedom after September 30th.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:shock: That's some exam.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

coopasonic wrote:1 - Micro Mutants Evolution Board Game (New, Board Games, Fantasy Flight Games) at $26.99 each
Highly, highly under-rated game. I played this for the first time at a con a couple years ago, and it ended up being two hours of cheers, groans, and enough laughing to bruise a couple of ribs. Besides being a great dexterity game, there's some real strategy and tactics involved. Also great with kids.