OO home games at pokerstars

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

tjg_marantz

OO home games at pokerstars

Post by tjg_marantz »

I'll post the whole info tomorrow morning but basically I created a home game group so that we could get a game going soon.

We should discuss format (static blinds vs tourney type), buy ins, rebuys, etc. As well as which days are the best and times.

Group is called Octopus Overlords and the password is allinmonkey. If you can't find it, wait until tomorrow. Also, if you have non OO friends, do feel free to invite them if you think they would fit in well.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Re: OO home games at pokerstars

Post by The Meal »

This post tracks when folks say they should be available in the near future. Please post your preferences in this thread and I'll try to concatenate them into this post.

Note, I've converted times to GMT (based on this page) so internet denizens can all speak the same language. Remember that Daylight Saving Time is also sometimes called Summer Time (northern hemisphere only!) and is active generally between spring back and fall ahead.

In General
tgb_nopantz (EST: Tue 7pm) for 4 hours GMT/UT: Wed 12:00 AM
tgb_nopantz (EST: Thu 7pm) for 4 hours GMT/UT: Fri 12:00 AM
tgb_nopantz (EST: Fri 7pm) for 4 hours GMT/UT: Sat 12:00 AM
tgb_nopantz (EST: Sun 7pm) for 4 hours GMT/UT: Mon 12:00 AM
tgb_nopantz (EST: Mon 7pm) for 4 hours GMT/UT: Tue 12:00 AM
tgb_nopantz (EST: Wed 7pm) for 4 hoursGMT/UT: Thu 12:00 AM

Week 04 2011 (24 Jan - 30 Jan)
The Meal (EST: Thu 1/27/2011 10:00 PM) for 5 hours GMT/UT: Fri 1/28/2011 3:00 AM
The Meal (EST: Fri 1/28/2011 5:00 PM) for 9 hours GMT/UT: Fri 1/28/2011 10:00 PM
The Meal (EST: Sat 1/29/2011 12:00 PM) for 12 hours GMT/UT: Sat 1/29/2011 5:00 PM
The Meal (EST: Sun 1/30/2011 12:00 PM) for 14 hours GMT/UT: Sun 1/30/2011 5:00 PM
Last edited by The Meal on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Very cool. I know the meal talked about doing this but I still haven't seen any details. Will these be just be for fun games or do we have to send money to p*s? Are we creating an OO poker room or are we having OO games?

I like the potential but I'd like to learn more.

I fear my time for this may be too limited, though. I don't really sit on the computer late nights. And yet I'm hopeful.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

You are invited to join my private poker club for Home Games online.

- If you don't already have it, download the free PokerStars software from http://www.pokerstars.com" target="_blank
- Open the main poker lobby, then click on the Home Games tab
- Click the 'Join a Poker Club' button
- Enter my Club ID number: 163408
- Enter my Invitation Code: allinmonkey

That's it! Once I've approved your membership request, we'll be ready to start playing Home Games online together.

If you want to find out more, visit http://www.pokerstars.com/homegames" target="_blank

There we go. Anone interested in playing a semi-regular poker game, sign up and I'll aprove you. Feel free to invite anyone you think would enjoy playing with us!

Create a table options: .01/.02 to .25/.50 blinds with or without ante.

Create a tourney options: 1$ + .10$ to 20$ + 2$ buy-in, regular, rebuy, shootout, knockout, normal or fast, payout 10-15-20% or winner take all, blind intervals and starting chips.

Not sure if weekdays or weekends would be better. Online games tend to go a lot quicker than home games so I don't think during the week would be impossible but if anyone has preferences, shoot.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I have submitted my request to join, but don't yet have any money in my account.

I'd recommend setting the "always on" game to be 1¢/2¢ NLHE, and keeping the tournaments small to start. Folks who actively want to play in tournaments should be pretty active in the OO thread to try to ensure they go off at the frequency and at the stakes they'd like.

Since this is open to everyone, it's not (yet?) appropriate for the Forum Games forum. You may get more interest in Gaming in General.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Accepted your request and made you an admin.

Table creaed at .01$/.02$ for anyone interested.

I was debating where to put this thread... admins, can you move to Gig(giddy)?

Thanks!

(cross-posted at GT)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

tjg_marantz wrote:Accepted your request and made you an admin.

Table creaed at .01$/.02$ for anyone interested.

I was debating where to put this thread... admins, can you move to Gig(giddy)?

Thanks!

(cross-posted at GT)
Thanks! I will use my admin powers only for good!

Moderators and admins don't tend to read every thread. If you want them to do something, I suggest PMing one of (all of?) those folks. Folks with powers on the Forum Games forum are:
Zaxxon (moderator -- only have powers for "their" listed forums on the front page)
ImLawBoy, godhugh (day-to-day content adminstrators -- powers on all forums)
Rip, Gedd, SirReal, and FishPants (technical administrators and one server whoore -- powers on all forums though generally don't get involved with intra-forum activities that don't impact the server side of things).

Conversely, I have got money nearly instantaneously deposited from my checking account via echecks (easily figured out via the in-PokerStars deposit page from the Cashier menu). You need your bank's routing number and your account number. You need to provide a legit name, address, and phone number, along with (and this is the bummer) your SSN. eChecks is relatively well regarded via online fora that discuss these sorts of things (do your own research!). My initial deposit limit is relatively small, though grows after things clear these first few days.

Before you just jump in (especially for folks who don't already have a poker stars account) do your own research on "Deposit Bonuses" and "Rakeback". There are advantages to doing this research before creating your account. (Folks who already have a P* account, will be locked out of these opportunities.) I'm not going to get into these things (either by posts or by PMs -- sorry, but I will ignore anyone wanting to initiate that conversation with me; absolutely nothing personal! But I'm not going to give advice that may impact your finances.)

Once I have fully funded my account, I will be willing to transfer funds to the three folks to whom I currently have outstanding debt based on previous pOOker games I have hosted: JC Anejo, LordMortis, and Vorret. I expect that opportunity to exist sometime come mid-February. I have no idea if I would be allowed to transfer funds to one of you if you haven't yet deposited real money into a PokerStars account (I'm guessing they wouldn't let your account be fully funded only with transferred money, but I don't know for certain).

The deposit process was absolutely painless (and nearly instantaneous) assuming you're comfortable with online transactions and sending your SSN to a foreign banking entity. PLEASE do your own research and determine your personal comfort level with eChecks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Woot?!? I think. I thought I said to go ahead and forward my money to OO.

I have a P*s account somewhere but need to reinstall the software on my "new" machine. Maybe tonight. Maybe not. I didn't think having the account mattered for the initial sign up deposit bonus as I've never signed up for cash yet. But it's all good. I worry about giving them cash when that time comes... Which may be soon...

My big research needs to be one on the legality and two how shady/careless they may be. I've found that once I've authorized people to mess with my accounts they get that authorization forever and that makes me a bit uncomfortable. I will look into echecks when I look in to resetting up my P*s account.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LordMortis wrote:Woot?!? I think. I thought I said to go ahead and forward my money to OO.
You may have. It is to my detriment as a human being that I did not carry through for the folks who requested I submit their "excess" winnings to the site. It may or may not make a difference to you that I've always intended to follow through with that were FishPants to indicate that things in the fundage department were not going swimmingly, but have "always intended to follow through" is not the same thing as actually following through. Either way, I have diligent records on amounts and this opportunity seems a convenient way for me to balance the books between us.
My big research needs to be one on the legality and two how shady/careless they may be. I've found that once I've authorized people to mess with my accounts they get that authorization forever and that makes me a bit uncomfortable. I will look into echecks when I look in to resetting up my P*s account.
I didn't mention the underlined concern, but it is absolutely a legitimate one. Definitely see if the current state of thing agrees with your own comfort level. Without a doubt there are many people in the US who are previous online players who have now quit playing online because of their concerns about its legitimacy or/and because of concerns regarding their ability to withdraw money. Just because I, personally, am comfortable with the current level of risk does not mean that you should be similarly comforted.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I've deposited using echecks as well with complete success. I read up on echecks and at the time found nothing sinister with them.

I'm thinking once we want to get an evening going, we could do 20$ buy-in with blinds going up every 20 minutes or something along those lines. Something that won't last 4 hours but long enough to get a groove going.

Also, I have a teamspeak server available to me so that we can shoot the shit while playing for those who don't mind the talking.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tjg_marantz wrote:Also, I have a teamspeak server available to me so that we can shoot the shit while playing for those who don't mind the talking.
Never done this. I may have to buy a mic of some sort.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Moving to Gaming in General at tjg's request.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LordMortis wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:Also, I have a teamspeak server available to me so that we can shoot the shit while playing for those who don't mind the talking.
Never done this. I may have to buy a mic of some sort.
If we can all agree to not yell and be overly intrusive while a heads up play is going on (like at a real table I suppose), it could definitely add to the atmosphere :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I've not done anything with teamspeak. Is there a place that lists the basics to make it easy on a lazy guy like me to get it up and running? (If it isn't made pretty much step-by-step, I doubt I'd be bothered to figure it all out...)
I'm thinking once we want to get an evening going, we could do 20$ buy-in with blinds going up every 20 minutes or something along those lines. Something that won't last 4 hours but long enough to get a groove going.
I'm very very open to whatever buy-in levels that folks'd want to use. But it's not too far off the mark to take "online money" and divide by ten to get "real world money" equivalence when it comes to playing cards. The hesitance that folks have for moving money between the two has something to do with this, as does the relative ease for playing multiple games in a shorter amount of time. A $20 sit-and-go (SNG) is a pretty beefy buy-in. *I* am fine with it, but wouldn't be surprised if folks didn't want to start off at this level.

20 minute blinds would be AWESOME. But realize that these are roughly 4x longer than "traditional" online SNGs. I love the thought of turning it into a major evening-long event (especially if the teamspeak server were going). Traditional 5-8 minute blind SNGs with 9 players involved tend to run about an hour (depending on initial stack sizes and blind level increases, of course). We may want to start out with something closer to the traditional, though I would not be the guy complaining about running something exactly like this.

Finally, I'm going to volunteer myself to be "secretary" and take advantage of post #2 in this thread to list folks' availabilities as they post in this thread. Coordinating start times may be tricksy, so I'll do my part to help make it happen.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

For teamspeak you just go to http://teamspeak.com/" target="_blank and download the free client. It's really simple to install and get up and running. I'll post the TS address and password when we get closer to a game night so that folks can test it out.

I am not quite sure what you mean: But it's not too far off the mark to take "online money" and divide by ten to get "real world money" equivalence when it comes to playing cards.

Maybe I'm just missing the gist of it :)

But if you mean 20 is too much, we can definitely to 10 or even 5 with rebuys allowed for those wanting back in. That way the initial investment is low but people can add a little more if they feel like it. For sure, this can't put a strain on anyone's finances. It's really just for fun with a little action going.

When I said 20 minutes, I was going on my experience at PS 9 players games. I usually turbo and at 5 minute steps, the game is usually over in 35 minutes or so. I was thinking 20 minutes might make it closer to 2 hours. That said, with rebuys, they might extend play time so maybe you are right, something quicker might be better (maybe 10 minutes). I would just hate for it to be over in 30 minutes, hehe. I'm sure we'll find the happy medium afte ra few games.

Consider yourslef the secretary. I take 2 sugars in my coffee. ;)

Availability for me is Tuesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday and monday/wednesday as a second choice. Time wise, I suppose anything after 7pm eastern up to 11pm start time eastern works.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Definitely interested in this. Will look into it more when I get home. Already have a PS account, but it's not on the new machine, and I haven't played awhile. Will log in soon, and see about joining the home game.

Availability is all out of whack at the moment. Will get back to you on that once things settle down.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LordMortis wrote:Very cool. I know the meal talked about doing this but I still haven't seen any details. Will these be just be for fun games or do we have to send money to p*s? Are we creating an OO poker room or are we having OO games?

I like the potential but I'd like to learn more.

I fear my time for this may be too limited, though. I don't really sit on the computer late nights. And yet I'm hopeful.
Sorry LM, I hadn't seen this post until now.

As Meal said, this would be for real money but not a lot of money. Fun with a little something to play for.

Pokerstars has a new Home Games section where you create a group (like the OO steam group if you will) and you give people the ID and password and you accept their invitation and only those people can play. This way, you have a trusted group of friends play together without worrying about collusion etc...

Meal, btw, not sure if this would ever be a setup you'd fancy but you can have multiple people log in from the same IP with home games (unlike regular games). Since this is a private club, it is up to the administrator (me) to deal with any collusion concerns. This means you can have people at your place all with their own laptops log in to the same table and have others play from their homes. Again, it's an option if you (or anyone else obviously) ever have people over and it's not enough to play a live local game. We can play on the puters...
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

tjg_marantz wrote:I am not quite sure what you mean: But it's not too far off the mark to take "online money" and divide by ten to get "real world money" equivalence when it comes to playing cards.

Maybe I'm just missing the gist of it :)
Two concepts at once, one important the other not so much.

The not-so-important "exchange rate" between real world dollars and online poker dollars is the quality of games (outside our Home Game club, of course). Generally that exchange rate is somewhere between 10x and 100x (i.e., a 10¢/25¢ NL cash game played online is the equivalent talent of somewhere between a live $1/$2 and $10/$25 cash game) in terms of opponent quality. I find this to be exceedingly accurate (at the locations-and-amounts where I play, at least), but maybe not too relevant in this conversation.

The more important exchange rate is one driven primarily by convenience and perception. Folks find it roughly the same "punch in the gut" to lose $10 online as $100 real world, mostly due to the perceived difficulty/reluctance in depositing more money and due to the speed at which one can make/lose dollars online vs. in the real world. This is more of a gut-feel than the previous paragraph, but one that works for me and my situation.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Gotcha! :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I got cut off before I could finish the post.
tjg_marantz wrote:But if you mean 20 is too much, we can definitely to 10 or even 5 with rebuys allowed for those wanting back in. That way the initial investment is low but people can add a little more if they feel like it. For sure, this can't put a strain on anyone's finances. It's really just for fun with a little action going.
Totally agreed. I'm fine with any number between $1 (+10¢) to $50 (+whatever). We may want to start on the smaller side of the scale while we're figuring out what works best, but personally, I'm okay with $20.
When I said 20 minutes, I was going on my experience at PS 9 players games. I usually turbo and at 5 minute steps, the game is usually over in 35 minutes or so. I was thinking 20 minutes might make it closer to 2 hours. That said, with rebuys, they might extend play time so maybe you are right, something quicker might be better (maybe 10 minutes). I would just hate for it to be over in 30 minutes, hehe. I'm sure we'll find the happy medium afte ra few games.
I'm unfamiliar with PS's structure. (I come from FTP land.) 35 minute tournaments sound like FTP's "super turbos" which start you at 300 chips (10x initial BB, which start at 15/30) and levels go up (not double, but go up at a decent clip) every 3 minutes. If PS's "turbos" accomplish the same thing, then that's probably too fast (though I'm fine with playing a bunch of those at cheaper buy-ins as well). I'm with you on trying things out until we decide on what we like (as a group). And it's not like we have to lock in on any one structure. We can adjust based on what the folks who show up want to play.

Also, one thing to keep in mind (for everyone), there's *always* a cash game running. Max buy-in is $5 and the big blind is 2¢. Microstakes, but still fun if you dissociate yourself from the tiny buy ins. I sat at the table (empty) most of this afternoon, just in case someone popped in. I probably will do that while at the PC in the future just in case other folks want to play. No scheduling required.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I just accepted a third user, who is mthaxton?

Might be good to know who everyone is.

tjg_marantz = marantz2008
The Meal = OO Meal
LM = mth*****
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

P*s has changed a lot since last I played. I don't see how to deposit money any more. I also don't see any cash games. I'll have to play with the interface when I get home. I think I have defaulted in to some sort of play chip zone with my new set up.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LordMortis wrote:P*s has changed a lot since last I played. I don't see how to deposit money any more. I also don't see any cash games. I'll have to play with the interface when I get home. I think I have defaulted in to some sort of play chip zone with my new set up.
I am not sure if this is the case or not but did you download the software from PS.net or PS.com? Or it might because you don't have any money deposited in there. There should be a CASHIER button that gets you where you want to go on the bottom right.

Is this not what you see once logged in?

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I'll look into it.
Haven't played poker in a while but I beleive I still have money sleeping on P*.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tjg_marantz wrote:
LordMortis wrote:P*s has changed a lot since last I played. I don't see how to deposit money any more. I also don't see any cash games. I'll have to play with the interface when I get home. I think I have defaulted in to some sort of play chip zone with my new set up.
I am not sure if this is the case or not but did you download the software from PS.net or PS.com? Or it might because you don't have any money deposited in there. There should be a CASHIER button that gets you where you want to go on the bottom right.

Is this not what you see once logged in?

I see something very similar to that. I also got in to your homegame group. But if I went to Hold'em, fixed limit, all, I wouldn't see money games. I also don't see cashier as an option in the window. I'm trying to research how to deposit money to see if I want to deposit money and I can't find the option. I will do more research when I get home. (I am unsure if I am pokerstars.com or .net.)
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

I am definitely interested in getting in. Busy couple of days but will read through the thread and get registered and get back with any thoughts I have.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LM, I don't see your request to join the group. You found it but did you apply? ;)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As far as I know you accepted me last night. I was the third user, the name you didn't recognize. I hopefully, will find time to check again tonight but tonight is the last wings game before the All Star Break so I'll likely head out to watch hockey tonight and eat too much chicken and drink too much beer rather than dink with computer stuff tonight.
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

created an account and awaiting acceptance into your elite organization.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Shit LM, you are right LOL.

Dede, you're in. Tip your waitress.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

tjg_marantz wrote:Shit LM, you are right LOL.

Dede, you're in. Tip your waitress.

thanks
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

just noticed the home games are for real money...so I guess I got to figure out how to fund it now.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

It should be when you click the cashier button but it should be the same for LM and he says he doesn't see it. I'm at a loss. I seem to remember something about when I went from play money to real money the first time, I had to convert my account or something to allow me to deposit. I know it can't be complicated (it's in their interest) but I don't have the steps in front of me. If you do manage it, let LM know what steps you took :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

tjg_marantz wrote:It should be when you click the cashier button but it should be the same for LM and he says he doesn't see it. I'm at a loss. I seem to remember something about when I went from play money to real money the first time, I had to convert my account or something to allow me to deposit. I know it can't be complicated (it's in their interest) but I don't have the steps in front of me. If you do manage it, let LM know what steps you took :)
the button is there. I can fund it through a couple methods. I seem to remember someone telling me western union is the easiest way.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

So it's really just LM that has an issue, strange
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I see that my menu bar up top has an option that yours doesn't, "poker school". I may have the wrong client?

It's not the client. It is somehow my account. I have no "poker school" option before I log in then I have the option after I do. :?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got it. I had a pokerstars.net launch. Now I have both. Now I'll have to do my diligence on finding out if I want to give them money...
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LordMortis wrote:Got it. I had a pokerstars.net launch. Now I have both. Now I'll have to do my diligence on finding out if I want to give them money...
There you go, ps.net vs ps.com. glad you got it sorted out.

As for how secure they are, I honestly don't know of another site that is more secure. They had non of the superuser issues afaik and have never heard of anything negative about them. Obviously, it's completely up to you but I trust them completely at this point. As well as echeck.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

JCAnejo accepted to the club, welcome!

FYI, I may be around the table tomorrow evening around 10 pm I assume. The wife usually falls asleep earlier after a long week. If anyone wants to drop by, feel free :)

It's a .01/.02 table.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

There's a shot that I would be available in that time frame. I haven't poked into the tournament options -- can you make a heads-up ("2-max" ?) tournament? That may be more fun than a 2-person cash game...