Miskatonic School for Girls

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

WYBaugh

Miskatonic School for Girls

Post by WYBaugh »

Found this linked from QT3 and it looks interesting:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/122 ... lding-game" target="_blank
MSFG has players assuming the roles of rival houses at Miskatonic. Each house has a healthy level of sanity (20) at the beginning of the game. As the game goes on, that precious sanity will slowly be torn away by the faculty of the school. In order to combat the bad teaching methods of the Great Old Ones, the students of the house need to band together!
Smoove_B

Re: Miskatonic School for Girls

Post by Smoove_B »

My copy was just dropped off. No idea when I'll actually get to play it, but I'm pretty excited to try.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

From the creators: How to play the game.
-mf
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

no sign of my copy in Australia yet - hoping it'll turn up this week..
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So, any impressions?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not for a few more weeks, sorry. I keep seeing that it works best as a two player game, though you can play with up to four. It's a strange mechanic because you're not trying win as much as you're doing things to encourage your opponent to lose. I like the artwork on the cards, but apparently it's not a universal appeal. The cards themselves can be a bit busy with the information packed on to them, and there seems to be a lot of extra rules to remember. Unlike Dominion or THUNDERSTONE, you're not just taking cards from the "store" and adding them to your own deck. Depending on how many people are playing you're adding cards the opponents deck directly or your adding some special types of cards directly to the opponent's "battle" area.

So my initial impression (without playing) is that it's going to have a bit of a learning curve to remember all the exceptions to the base rules. Unfortunately it would seem that making sure you're aware of those exceptions is how you are able to drive your opponent insane - figuratively as that is the object of the game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

my kickstarter copy finally turned up today - hoping to get it on the table this afternoon..

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

played a two-player game this afternoon. my eight-year-old declared that he "really likes this game" after a couple of turns and I think I'll be playing it a lot with him at least.. probably with others as a quicker/simpler alternative to Thunderstone. and I love the artwork :)

Scrobbling at last.fm
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Strange that they say it works best with two. redrun said he played several 2 player games with a friend and it wasn't very good but we played a four player with him, bb2112, CR, and myself and it was silly fun. Never going to be a ton of strategy to it imo but it seems like it will make a fun filler game.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I enjoyed it. Figure it's less strategic than Chaos Marauders (another great silly beer n pretzel)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

just played a three-player game and (player elimination aside) it worked well :)

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

..and we just played with four and I think it dragged a little. I'll play again with four if asked but I think 2-3 will be the sweet spot for this game for me.

Scrobbling at last.fm
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got a chance to play the game last night. It seems to be getting some mediocre to bad reviews on BGG from what I've seen, but I'm a Cthulhu completist and feel the need to own everything branded with the Lovecraft name for some reason.

It's light and some of the rules seem a bit anti-thematic but I enjoyed it. I lost and I'm not sure why, so that was a bit disconcerting, but I still had fun with the game. I'll have to try it again with more than two players to see how that works out.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chaosraven wrote:I enjoyed it. Figure it's less strategic than Chaos Marauders (another great silly beer n pretzel)
Chaos Marauders is the whip. I have no idea what happened to my copy. :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have that game (the silver line edition from FFG) and have never played it. I should whip it out one night.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote:Got a chance to play the game last night. It seems to be getting some mediocre to bad reviews on BGG from what I've seen, but I'm a Cthulhu completist and feel the need to own everything branded with the Lovecraft name for some reason.

It's light and some of the rules seem a bit anti-thematic but I enjoyed it. I lost and I'm not sure why, so that was a bit disconcerting, but I still had fun with the game. I'll have to try it again with more than two players to see how that works out.
You probably lost due to blind luck as the game is based off of that. Doesn't make it less fun as I enjoyed the silly nature but good luck trying to impliment a strategy.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken