Games Abandoned thread

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

Scoop20906

Re: Games Abandoned thread

Post by Scoop20906 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:56 pm

GreenGoo wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:With Dying Light released and being a much superior game in mechanics, story and action, I am abandoning Dead Island. I hope those survivors find the way off the island on their own.
Interestingly, I am considering going back to Dead Island, after having played a decent amount of hours in Dying Light.
I found Dying Light more fun to play. The only real positive difference for Dead Island is the tropical setting. I tried but couldn't go back.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906

Canuck

Post by Canuck » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 pm

I think I'm about to throw in the towel with xenoblade (3ds) after about 8 hours. I may have enjoyed this type of game at one point in my life but not at this point.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Canuck wrote:I think I'm about to throw in the towel with xenoblade (3ds) after about 8 hours. I may have enjoyed this type of game at one point in my life but not at this point.
I felt the same thing about Civ 5 and Beyond Earth or The Sims. There was a time when I would play those games until the birds starting chiriping and now Just One More Turn has become Ehhh. Tastes change I guess.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:29 pm

I just went through the Great Purge of 2016 (TM).

I've been in a gaming rut as of late. I've only bought one big AAA title this year - Arkham Knight, which I played to 100% completion. The reason I didn't buy anything else is that I was sitting on a mountain of unplayed games, most of which I had either bought last year or had received for Christmas. Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Divinity: Original Sin, Halo: Master Chief Collection, among others.

All of these are fantastic games, but they were also long, long games that I knew would take dozens of hours of playtime to finish. And honestly, I had played bits of all of them and the thought of all that gameplay ahead of me didn't sound like fun. It sounded like work. I realized that due to my limited game time these days, if my plan was to not buy any new games until I finished these, then I was never going to be able to buy new games. It was actively turning me against the hobby I loved.

I tried for a time just setting them aside, but the idea of them even being in my house and on my console just weighed on me. It felt like an albatross around my neck. Finally, last week, I'd had enough.

I sold them all. I deleted them from my consoles, I deleted the save games. And it felt FANTASTIC! I feel so relaxed and free now, and ironically getting rid of those games made me excited about gaming again.

Now of course getting rid of games only to replace them with more games is counter-productive, so I'm being very careful moving forward to not let my purchases outpace my available time. But at least now I feel like I want to buy a game I'm highly interested in like Final Fantasy XV or No Man's Sky, I can do so without feeling a ton of guilt.

Hipolito

Post by Hipolito » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:22 am

I recently abandoned a couple of retro sci-fi RTS games.

Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal: This is a nifty game in which you set up a network of resource and defense nodes to beat back a spreading layer of alien goop. There's a variety of nodes to keep things interesting; one of them even lets you raise and lower terrain. But each level is a time-consuming grind, with you slowly gaining centimeters of ground until you're finally close enough to the goop source to kill it. I enjoyed about 10 levels, then decided that was enough. Other things I like are the music, the story, and that each level fits on the screen; no scrolling necessary.

Ground Control: This was Sierra's 2000 RTS with Myth-like controls. After just a few levels, I decided the game doesn't hold up well, with its clunky interface and barren landscapes. The writing and voice acting are above average, though, and the manual nicely establishes the backstory about a war between corporations and a religious order.
Gracias por estar aquí.
Avatar is from: Persona 5 (edited a little)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Sat May 14, 2016 7:00 pm

12 is better than 6.

Too much puzzly twitchiness.
Silver - 5k

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm marking Dirt 3 as Complandoned. I've only got the last X-Games final to unlock, but I'm not going to beat my head against the Gymkhana setups or trying to better my rally times to get those last 15 points to get there.
And after being suckered in by Dirt 3 Complete being added to my library at some point, I'm adding it to the list as well.
Silver - 5k

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 am

Dead Space
I *should* like it. It's basically System Shock 2 with a pretty unusual combat system. Forget torso shots, you gotta go for the dicks. I mean... arms.

Except the novelty of the gimmick wears of quickly, and most of the guns kind of suck. As do the endless jump scares. And the stupid "silent protagonist" schtick. And the alien penises and sphincters everywhere. And I don't really care about the story for some reason, they just keep blathering on about some stupid alien-worshipping religious crap or screaming at me to fix some kind of ventilation system or some other BS. So I stopped after getting killed several times by a giant alien sphincter boss with three penises. Maybe I'll come back next time I want to feel vaguely uncomfortable.

Watch Dogs
This suffers from "ubisoft scavenger hunt" syndrome and also from "GTA Clone Syndrome". The former is when you have a scavenger hunt, but all the item locations are given to you in advance. The latter is when they make this attempt to portray the main character as an emotionally complex guy, except he then goes out and runs down a crowd of people while driving a stolen semi because he's trying to get a "gouranga bonus" or whatever, and the only way to solve any particular problem is by murdering about twenty people. I think it's more the scavenger hunt thing that kind of got me bored. That and the endless notifications ("Hey Nico, you want to go bowling?"). I mean there's cool stuff like tracking down network wires and hacking stuff on the road while driving, but I still got bored.

Friki

Post by Friki » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:01 am

WoW is my Nr.1
I could never get back to it, i tried !
Very repetitive and i have no time to do this anymore.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:14 pm

Spelunky.
I finally got a shortcut built to the mummy world by dragging a key through half the game but now it's just way too difficult for me. I can't make any progress at all and its gone from being a fun difficult challenge to endless frustration. I did manage to put 30 hours into this though, so I can't say I didn't enjoy it.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Archinerd wrote:Spelunky.
I finally got a shortcut built to the mummy world by dragging a key through half the game but now it's just way too difficult for me. I can't make any progress at all and its gone from being a fun difficult challenge to endless frustration. I did manage to put 30 hours into this though, so I can't say I didn't enjoy it.
the original (free) version is *much better, imho.

Blackhawk
Wallpaper Engine

Post by Blackhawk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:55 pm

Front Mission Evolved.

It was kinda fun, in a 2001 B-shooter kind of way (although it was released in 2010.) The acting and writing were absolutely awful, though. This wanted really, really badly to be a JRPG, with mindless trash that offered zero challenge followed by insane boss fights, followed by fights where you re-fought all your old bosses, followed by brutally hard multi-stage boss fights. The problem is that the port was absolutely awful. The controls were jumpy, the FOV was tiny, and the interface blocked half of the screen, and there was no way to fix any of it. I finally got frustrated on the next-to-final boss pre-boss, which can one-shot you if you make a single miscalculation in a four-stage extended fight in a tiny arena. I spent more time fighting the controls in that spot than I did the boss!

Blech. I finished 95% of the game. I'm calling it - screw the game design philosophy of 'easy game with insane final boss' that properly died off years ago.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:38 am

hitbyambulance wrote:
Thanks. I checked it out but I think the magic is gone for me now.
Lately I've been spending most of my gaming time revisiting Xenonauts.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:24 am

Neverwinter. Got this on XBox from one of the monthly giveaways, not realizing it was free to play MMO. The UI is incomprehensible, the tutor system insufficient, and it's just not something I want to mess with from a place where I'd spend half the time on my phone googling MMO guidance sites.
Silver - 5k

hentzau

Post by hentzau » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 am

Isgrimnur wrote:Neverwinter. Got this on XBox from one of the monthly giveaways, not realizing it was free to play MMO. The UI is incomprehensible, the tutor system insufficient, and it's just not something I want to mess with from a place where I'd spend half the time on my phone googling MMO guidance sites.
I played this for a while on my computer, and then tried it on my Xbox and agree, it's really rough to play on the Xbox.
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:41 am

It was a two-button combo to jump, for Gygax's sake!
Silver - 5k

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:14 pm

hitbyambulance wrote:
Really? Why? I think I own the remastered version but have not started it yet.

Lassr
Loading…

Post by Lassr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am

Endless Legend. The graphics made it hard to tell where anything was located or what they were; Units, special resources. I tried to like it, I played for a few hours over several days, but in the end it couldn't hold my attention. Still like Fallen Enchantress much better.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:27 am

Carpet_pissr wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
Really? Why? I think I own the remastered version but have not started it yet.
much more fun to play. it's kinda hard to explain why, tho.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 am

hentzau wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Neverwinter. Got this on XBox from one of the monthly giveaways, not realizing it was free to play MMO. The UI is incomprehensible, the tutor system insufficient, and it's just not something I want to mess with from a place where I'd spend half the time on my phone googling MMO guidance sites.
I played this for a while on my computer, and then tried it on my Xbox and agree, it's really rough to play on the Xbox.
Makes me wonder if the Xbox version was somehow worse than the PS4 version. I played it on PC and burned out pretty quickly, but absolutely loved it on PS4. I agree that the UI was rather messy, but it was quite fun otherwise.
canuck wrote:
I think I'm about to throw in the towel with xenoblade (3ds) after about 8 hours. I may have enjoyed this type of game at one point in my life but not at this point.
The Xenoblade series are games that I always feel I should like more than I actually do. JRPG's with huge worlds, mechs, a fun story, good characters, great music...but somehow it just never really all comes together like it should. Too many tedious sidequests, too little explanation/tutorial (Xenoblade 2 was awful with this. I played through a full 50% of the game not having a clue what the hell I was doing), and too many crazy difficulty spikes make what should be a fun experience feel very...disjointed
I taught the Killing Game first