Board and Card games to play with a six year old

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Exodor

Board and Card games to play with a six year old

Post by Exodor »

I'm looking for card and board games that I can play with Elise. Games that play well with two players are preferred.

She's six now and outgrowing a lot of the games we used to play. This weekend we picked up Sleeping Queens and she LOVES it. I'd love to pick up other games that move beyond the traditional Monopoly type board games as well as other card games.

My brother and his family recently discovered Dominion and I've been playing the snot out of the iPad adaptation. This weekend Elise watched me play for 5 minutes and then started making accurate gameplay suggesions - like "Dad, play the village first so you can get another action and play another card!" :shock:

I think she may still be too young to really grasp the intricacies but I'm tempted to pick up a copy of Dominion anyway. A few weeks ago we saw Ticket to Ride at the game store (actually she was intrigued by the Nordic version) but I didn't pick it up because I feared she wouldn't be able to get the rules. After her little demonstration this weekend I'm not quite as concerned.

Can anyone else recommend good card/board games for young children?
hepcat

Re: Board and Card games to play with a six year old

Post by hepcat »

Twilight Struggle. Think of it as creating your own little Khan Noonien Singh.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

When this comes up, I always recommend Castle Panic as a great gateway game. It's a co-op, so you can talk about strategy together. Not much reading needed, and it's a fun game for adults as well.

I would also highly recommend Forbidden Island as another great co-op game, playable in about half an hour, and also a ton of fun.

(Would post BGG links, but they're down right now.)

Oh, and the rules aren't hard for TtR, but it does have a long-reach strategy and you can get a definite screw your neighbor vibe going depending on who you are playing with.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm a bit out of touch so I don't know if you can find them but... Board game geek is down!!!! so we can't use their reviews and that sucks

So if I recall correctly Where's Bob's Hat is with a six year old's grasp

http://www.funagain.com/control/product ... _id=012122" target="_blank

I enjoy Gouda! Gouda! but everyone else hates it. :(

http://www.funagain.com/control/product ... _id=013242" target="_blank

Franks Zoo

http://www.funagain.com/control/product ... _id=007577" target="_blank

Most of them say 10 and up, so I'd wait for a BGG to come back online and get a better feel for them. I also imagine some of it depends on her cognitive skills. I was learning poker and cribbage and yachtzee and uno and whatever was being played by 7 because that's what games were being played and I wanted to play and learn them and learn how to win.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote:Most of them say 10 and up, so I'd wait for a BGG to come back online and get a better feel for them. I also imagine some of it depends on her cognitive skills. I was learning poker and cribbage and yachtzee and uno and whatever was being played by 7 because that's what games were being played and I wanted to play and learn them and learn how to win.
That's kind of what inspired this thread - a lot of games say "10 and up" and yet she seems to grasp fairly complicated game concepts easily. She's already an Uno master and delights in hitting me with the Wild Draw 4 - unfortunately Uno is kind of strange as a two player game. Sleeping Queens says 8 and up and she has no difficulty with that. Dominion is 10 and up and yet she figured out the basics by watching over my shoulder.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My 4 year old plays Forbidden Island (aka the "Island of DOOM!"). I often see Castle Panic recommended for that age group, but I would also recommend Ticket to Ride as long as you can play nice with the kids. I have also purchased The Magic Labyrinth for a friend's kid who is 7 years old.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
The Rocketman

Post by The Rocketman »

Even though my son's only 1 year old, I've stickied this thread for future reference:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/69437 ... tus-report" target="_blank

The writer tells about which games worked and which didn't, and the progression his kids made. It's a very nice read if you have the time.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

I know I sound like a broken record, but Blokus is a great game for two. Colorful, fun, fast.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The Rocketman wrote:Even though my son's only 1 year old, I've stickied this thread for future reference:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/69437 ... tus-report" target="_blank

The writer tells about which games worked and which didn't, and the progression his kids made. It's a very nice read if you have the time.
That's a great list, thanks for posting it.

My son is almost 2, and we've started "playing" Go Away Monster from time to time. He basically ignores the monsters and focuses on putting the pieces in the room.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

My recommendation for a gateway boardgame sure to appeal to younger kids has to be Gulo, Gulo. What makes this game work so well with younger children is the dexterity aspect, which truly gives smaller hands an advantage, so the game ends up balancing perfectly when parents/adults are playing with kids. Instead of holding back, the adults must be on their toes if they want to stay competitive, which makes it much more enjoyable than the vast majority of other games you are likely to play with a child.

But alas, it has been out of print for quite some time, and tracking down a copy these days is likely to be onerous, expensive, or both. But if Rio Grande Games ever gets around to doing a reprint, I would recommend any parents/family members of young'uns to buy it ASAP.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My kids and wife were just playing Gulo Gulo this weekend. It is a pretty fun game.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My daughters also enjoyed playing Gulo Gulo when we borrowed hentzau's copy. The kids *love* how clumsy adults are in handling the pieces.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:Twilight Struggle. Think of it as creating your own little Khan Noonien Singh.
I can't endorse this plan enough.

I'd also recommend War of the Ring. Make her regularly play as the Shadow, and encourage her to crush all of Middle Earth beneath her adorable heel!
Black Lives Matter.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

With my then 6 and 8 year olds - a good game that everyone in the family could understand and enjoy was zooloretto. Easy mechanics, a bit of strategy, fairly quick game sessions (maybe 30 minutes). Perfect for younger gamers. The game requires very little reading - which is key to keep kids attention. Even though both my kids can read very well, anything that throws a block of text at them every turn is a definate turn off. I'd also stay away from games that have any kind of long term strategy. Most kids like to make decisions "in the moment".
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No kid experience, but you might give Robo Rally a look. You could probably strip out the more complicated aspects later to make it a simple race game, decisions, planning ahead, board effects, etc.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:No kid experience, but you might give Robo Rally a look. You could probably strip out the more complicated aspects later to make it a simple race game, decisions, planning ahead, board effects, etc.
I don't know if a 6-year old would have the spatial skills to pull that off. Heck, I still drive off the edge of the board without any outside influences. :doh:

:lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Then perhaps it's genetic. :D

If I were going to attempt it, I'd probably start with just an open grid and have them try to get from point A to Point B. Then introduces the conveyors, etc.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:No kid experience, but you might give Robo Rally a look. You could probably strip out the more complicated aspects later to make it a simple race game, decisions, planning ahead, board effects, etc.
I don't know if a 6-year old would have the spatial skills to pull that off. Heck, I still drive off the edge of the board without any outside influences. :doh:

I have to stand up and reorient myself to figure out what turn right and turn left mean. One day I will simply and instinctively remember that turn right is evil bastard code for rotate clockwise and turn left is evil bastard code for rotate counter clockwise.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I do it by twisting the appropriate hand in an "outward" direction.
Anonymous Bosch

Considering how confounding RoboRally can be even for adult players, I would imagine it could be an extremely frustrating experience for younger children, who may lack the patience to cope with the typical slapstick chaos of RoboRally.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote:
stessier wrote:

I have to stand up and reorient myself to figure out what turn right and turn left mean. One day I will simply and instinctively remember that turn right is evil bastard code for rotate clockwise and turn left is evil bastard code for rotate counter clockwise.
You do the same thing with Wings of War. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hentzau wrote:You do the same thing with Wings of War. :)
Yes, Yes I do. That's why I try to plot my next moves before everyone else. So every one can't see exactly what I'm planning...

As I turn right when I meant to go left anyway.

Spacial reasoning is not my strong suit. It'd be nice if I could find my strong suit one day.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LordMortis wrote:Spacial reasoning is not my strong suit. It'd be nice if I could find my strong suit one day.
Pantsless.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Spacial reasoning is not my strong suit. It'd be nice if I could find my strong suit one day.
Pantsless.
Then it would just be my strong blazer. I do like your thinking though.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Googles. Do Nothing. Etc.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zarathud wrote: I have also purchased The Magic Labyrinth for a friend's kid who is 7 years old.
I'll second Magic Labyrinth. Kids love this game, and you can tweak the rules a bit to make it longer or shorter as needed.

This last weekend I tired playing Hare & Tortoise with my friends 6 year old son. I'd not suggest this one, too much math.

And since its mentioned, we also tried Robo Rally. It was too much for him, but he did enjoy playing with the robots and the map boards.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If he tries to attend Octocon (or any gtg up here or anywhere else for that mater) pantless I am holding you responsible for all resultant medical bills in repairing my eyes.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Bob

Post by Bob »

Penny-Arcade has been mentioning this "Flash Duel" game that seems pretty cool. I'm thinking of picking it up for me and the boys.

http://www.sirlingames.com/collections/flash-duel" target="_blank
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Jag

Post by Jag »

Castle Panic was a hit. Carcassone was a bore for them and I couldn't figure out the rules to Castle Ravenloft (as a D&D gateway), so they just played with the figurines :oops:

What about good card games? We are going away for a week and that would be good for all our flights. I think the only card game they know is Uno.
Anonymous Bosch

Jag wrote:Castle Panic was a hit. Carcassone was a bore for them and I couldn't figure out the rules to Castle Ravenloft (as a D&D gateway), so they just played with the figurines :oops:

What about good card games? We are going away for a week and that would be good for all our flights. I think the only card game they know is Uno.
How old are your kids? Hard to make specific recommendations with no mention of their ages. Set is likely a safe choice, as it makes for a great family brain-burner. Quiddler might also work, depending upon the reading ability of your children. They're both somewhat educational, yet remain quite enjoyable to play.

For something with a little more depth, suitable for older kids (say, 8+), San Juan, Coloretto, Bohnanza, and Citadels are all excellent card games.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote:What about good card games? We are going away for a week and that would be good for all our flights. I think the only card game they know is Uno.
As I mentioend in the OP Elise loves Sleeping Queens
Jag

Post by Jag »

Thanks. I'll check them out. I need to cater toward my younger son who is 8, but doesn't have the best attention span
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anonymous Bosch

Jag wrote:Thanks. I'll check them out. I need to cater toward my younger son who is 8, but doesn't have the best attention span
Have a butcher's at the website for Set, and see how well your kids do with the flash tutorial and daily puzzles they have there. If they're able to follow the idea and enjoy it, then it's probably a safe bet to get the card game (I notice they also have an iPad version, so that may even be preferable to the card game).
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Jag wrote:Castle Panic was a hit. Carcassone was a bore for them and I couldn't figure out the rules to Castle Ravenloft (as a D&D gateway), so they just played with the figurines :oops:
I like this guy's video series called "Watch It Played". In this video, he does a rules overview for Wrath of Ashardalon, which is the same basic rules as Castle Ravenloft, just with a few twists regarding some upgraded monster abilities and tiles. Should help you get your first game on the table. If you have any questions, feel free to ask her, several of us have played and should be able to answer your questions.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

After playing it last night, I can wholeheartedly endorse Magical Athlete. Get it for your kid, but realize it will be hitting the table with adults just as often. :wub:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:After playing it last night, I can wholeheartedly endorse Magical Athlete. Get it for your kid, but realize it will be hitting the table with adults just as often. :wub:
Yeah, that really was a blast. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

After much badgering from Elise I picked up Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries last night.

Elise is doing a fair job of grasping the game concepts but we're both struggling to pronounce the city names. :oops: My wife's entire family is from Finland so this is sort of a backdoor way to introduce Elise to her half-homeland.

We're playing through the first game with our hands open and so far she's destroying me. :doh: :P
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Exodor wrote:After much badgering from Elise I picked up Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries last night.

Elise is doing a fair job of grasping the game concepts but we're both struggling to pronounce the city names. :oops: My wife's entire family is from Finland so this is sort of a backdoor way to introduce Elise to her half-homeland.

We're playing through the first game with our hands open and so far she's destroying me. :doh: :P
Man, that is a pretty game. I got that for my wife for Christmas two years ago, and we finally broke it out this past Christmas. Surprisingly, she really enjoyed the game. I think the fact that she beat me soundly helped. :)