[Project] Building a MAME Cabinet

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

[Project] Building a MAME Cabinet

Post by YellowKing »

So I've decided to build a MAME cabinet. It's an idea I've toyed with for years, but never really had the inclination. The bug crept up and bit me recently to go for it, and given that I already had an old laptop I could devote to the cause I figured now was a good a time as any.

I at first wanted to do a full cabinet, but space-wise I realized it was going to be very impractical. The only room I could put it in would be the garage, and I couldn't see myself getting a lot of use from it out there. Besides, I wanted the kids to be able to play it when they got a little older, and we don't let them in the garage as a general rule (due to all the sharp pointy stabby tools).

The PC/software side is more or less complete - I've tested MAME and various UIs and the laptop runs them all great. So that's the least of my concerns.

My big decision now is whether to go with a mini-cabinet (1/2 scale version of the real thing) or just do a bartop unit. The mini-cabinet would be fun because it could go in the kids' playroom and I could go to town dressing it out like a "real" cabinet. It would give me the most flexibility in terms of artistic decisions. It's still taking up a good chunk of room though. The bartop unit would be the best fit in terms of space, but not as fun to pimp out as making a true cabinet.

The other debate is whether to buy a USB X-Arcade joystick for it and have it be easy plug-and-play, or go custom and wire everything myself. I'm leaning on just buying the joystick due to time constraints, but I may be able to come out a bit cheaper wiring it on my own.

At any rate, I'm still in the early planning stages (obviously) but it's been fun to research. I've got a bunch of co-workers shopping around to find me a good deal on a display, and a buddy of mine has offered to assist with the woodworking when I settle on a plan.
LordMortis

Re: [Project] Building a MAME Cabinet

Post by LordMortis »

I've wanted to it for a long time but I don't have the skills. If I did, I'd go real cabinet with real controllers. It wouldn't matter to the kids so much but for you having a joystick and buttons feel like they did from early 80s would mean everything but then so would the proper sounds and monitor.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm sure alot of us old school gamers would love to buy/build a MAME cabinet but just don't have the time/energy/skill etc. There are probably a ton of DIY MAME websites out there with ideas.

Make sure to post pics of your progress!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:I'm sure alot of us old school gamers would love to buy/build a MAME cabinet but just don't have the time/energy/skill etc. There are probably a ton of DIY MAME websites out there with ideas.

Make sure to post pics of your progress!
Costco here in Canada was selling what could only be a MAME cabinet for about 2 grand. The cabinet had a very professional appearance and the joystick and buttons looked authentic. I could almost see me buying one just because of the labour factor involved but 2 grand is way too much for an emulator, no matter how good the controls are. Even though the controls are the most important part for me. Even more important than authentic arcade roms (although a close second).

Good luck YK. We expect pics during and after. Edit: What Jag said.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

There's a book for these sorts of projects. :)

Oh I guess there's a Newer one now.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Y u no have updates?

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've changed my mind, maybe a laptop might be better than building a cabinet.

http://technabob.com/blog/2014/01/07/br ... e-machine/" target="_blank