Wil Wheaton - Tabletop

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: Wil Wheaton - Tabletop

Post by hentzau »

Enjoyable episode, but a bunch of rules mistakes in it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haha really fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hentzau wrote:Enjoyable episode, but a bunch of rules mistakes in it.
Any in particular that really jumped out at you? I've only played the game a couple times, and have yet to try introducing the traitor mechanic.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

wonderpug wrote:
hentzau wrote:Enjoyable episode, but a bunch of rules mistakes in it.
Any in particular that really jumped out at you? I've only played the game a couple times, and have yet to try introducing the traitor mechanic.
There were lots of niggling things that jumped out at me, like cards that were played incorrectly, and stuff that seemed skipped that they may have edited out for time, but the big glaring one was that the good guys win when there are 7 white swords on the table. The actual answer is the good guys win when there are 12 swords on the table and a majority of them are White. They lose when there are seven black swords on the table. When he explained that one I went "huh?" and looked up the rule.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Did they use the Grail and I missed it?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Buatha wrote:Did they use the Grail and I missed it?
Spoiler:
Tycho healed himself with it at one point
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Okay, thank you.

Unfortunately, this is a game I only get to play with a select few people and even then, it took them a while to get into it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I really enjoy Shadows over Camelot, but it never hits the table.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

hentzau wrote:I really enjoy Shadows over Camelot, but it never hits the table.
Battlestar fired it for me. It is awesome that someone can join partway through though. Not many games have that feature.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote:Tara yay yum and nice.
Why is this Tara Strong person always doing animated characters?! She is very pretty! Also, hard to believe she is 40.

Not a fan of Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. They are lightning rods for internet drama and negative behavior. I see the draw of Penny Arcade, but just get tired of the shenanigans.

Question about the game: Are the components really as crappy as they look in that video? Like paper thin player mats (looked like glossy printer paper to me) and an incredibly thin board? Perhaps it was just Wil's gaming table that made it look thinner. It would surprise me for Days of Wonder to not have decent components.

I always wanted Shadows over Camelot, but I so rarely get to play BSG that it is more the go-to game for treason and betrayal.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

baelthazar wrote:
Why is this Tara Strong person always doing animated characters?! She is very pretty! Also, hard to believe she is 40.

Not a fan of Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. They are lightning rods for internet drama and negative behavior. I see the draw of Penny Arcade, but just get tired of the shenanigans.

Question about the game: Are the components really as crappy as they look in that video? Like paper thin player mats (looked like glossy printer paper to me) and an incredibly thin board? Perhaps it was just Wil's gaming table that made it look thinner. It would surprise me for Days of Wonder to not have decent components.

I always wanted Shadows over Camelot, but I so rarely get to play BSG that it is more the go-to game for treason and betrayal.
It's been a while since I've broken out the game but I don't remember having any issues with the components. The player cards were printed card stock, but once you know the special ability for that character, you really don't need to use it. Boards were standard boards, the swords are thick cardboard counters, and all of the plastic components are very nice. The cards are a nice linen finish cards as well.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Meh.

What the hell is up with her lips? Looks like wax halloween lips or something.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sharp elbow cream STAT!!
The Rocketman

Post by The Rocketman »

baelthazar wrote: Question about the game: Are the components really as crappy as they look in that video? Like paper thin player mats (looked like glossy printer paper to me) and an incredibly thin board? Perhaps it was just Wil's gaming table that made it look thinner. It would surprise me for Days of Wonder to not have decent components.

A friend of mine has it, and no, the components are absolutely beautiful. No worries there. It's the best part of the game really.

As to the actual gameplay, I don't really like it. It's too beneficial to stay at the same spot and attempt to do a certain quest for a number of turns as opposed to moving around and playing dynamically. This leads to very stale and boring gameplay. And the traitor mechanic sucks. If you reveal as a traitor, you're basically done playing, because there just aren't many things you can do then.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I've only found the "staying in place" to work when someone draws the King Arthur character since he can swap cards.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Kind of funny how Wil kept "forgetting" to pass out cards. Obviously the traitor from the 3rd turn!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Ænima wrote: Battlestar fired it for me...
So, I keep reading that BSG is the game you should play after SoC gets worn out. I like that SoC is a bit simpler in terms of mechanics, but do you need to have better experienced players to enjoy BSG? It also seems that BSG takes longer to play than SoC which is a concern since I find even dedicated players seem to wane after two hours.

Finally, I've heard that BSG is pretty good on its own. Are any of the expansions considered "mandatory" to correct any weaknesses in the base game?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Each expansion actually adds a nice aspect to the core game, even if you ignore the alternate scenarios.

Pegasus adds a new mechanic for the Sympathetic Cylon, which is a half-traitor that can go either way in games with even (or was it odd?) number of players. In the base game, the Sympathetic Cylon has a arbitrary binary switch half-way through the game, where if one of the resources in the game is below half, they automatically stay on the human side, if not, they jump to the cylons. Pegasus adds in agendas, which are cards with two objectives, one where you want one side to win, but the other objective usually has you doing something to screw that same side somehow. You draw a random one when the time comes.

Exodus adds in much more interesting mechanics to the space portion, making it a less random thing that's based on card draws (which can super screw you, or cause the game to go by with barely any cylon space activity), and instead into a constant threat that has to be managed, and the pilots are out in space dealing with that threat.

The newest expansion, Daybreak seems to add a bit of both. It expands on agendas with a new system where you two two separate agenda cards instead of one, each having its own objective to fulfill. Then in space, you have assault raptors, but I don't know what those do yet.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Awesome! Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I think I will stick with buying the base game just to see if my (budding) gaming group gets into it. So far, we've only done Pandemic as they haven't really delved into "true" board games. I will probably try SoC first, though, since I already own it and I don't want to overwhelm them with more complicated games.

I have to say, though, Pandemic is the nicest balance I've seen with difficulty vs. easy to understand game mechanics. I hope they transition to other games since it will probably be a baseline for them when making comparisons as it's their first.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Next up -- Betrayal at House on the Hill featuring Ashly Burch (Actress, "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin," "Borderlands 2"), Keahu Kahuanui (Actor, "Teen Wolf"), and Michael Swaim (Writer, Cracked.com)

I'd like to think his shirt is a nod to us. ;)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now out Unspeakable Words

Starring:
Troy Baker - Voice of Booker from Bioshock Inifinite
Erin Gray - Hottest space chick ever as Col Deering from Buck Rogers
Felicia Day - That crazy silly redhead who asks "what movie is The Italian Stallion?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Qwirkle and 12 Days .....Kelly Hu, Meredith Salenger, and Nolan Kopp play Quirkle and 12 Days.

Meredith Salenger is a such a babe. Loved her in movies back when. Dream a Little Dream comes to mind.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Haven't watched it yet, but I can confirm that Qwirkle is fun.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Carcassonne .....with Jesse Cox, Nika Harper and Kumail Nanjiani.

I was thinking Nika Harper is just the cutest thing then mid way through the game I realized she is the spitting image of a girlfriend I had in the mid to late 80's. I mean it is uncanny how much they look alike. She is just perfect.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tsuro of the Seas.

Predition: Daehawk hates it
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:Predition: Daehawk hates it
No hot chicks?

Tsuro is a pretty quick game for Tabletop.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote:Tsuro of the Seas.

Predition: Daehawk hates it
If its made up story play then yes I will.

EDIT: Seeing who is on this ep might make it ok. Thats all Ive seen so far. Kevin is ok but can get on my one nerve...the guy from Space Janitors though I love. Not sure who the other guy is off hand but once they introduce themselves I may recognize him.

EDIT: OOoooh of course he is also on Space Janitors..geez didn't recognize him. Sad.

EDIT: I liked it. Had a lot of twists to it and not a storytelling one. Still they missed the best ship..a pirate ship carrying ice...The Ice Pirates!!!!!!!
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I think this was one of the funniest episodes they have had yet. I thought Kevin was funnier than he was on AOTS and the 2 guys from Space Janitors were pretty funny as well.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brandon Routh
Felicia Day
Ryon Day

Play Fortune and Glory
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote:Brandon Routh
Felicia Day
Ryon Day

Play Fortune and Glory
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Huh?

EDIT: Oh it ate my link. Not gotten used to that yet.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pretty good episode. Longer than most. Having never played it, I have no idea what rules they messed up.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

He makes me want to play this game again, even though I really don't like it that much. He's a good salesman for games, I'll give him that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Huh?

EDIT: Oh it ate my link. Not gotten used to that yet.
It will continue to eat your link. Every time. You have to use URL tags now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
RMC

Post by RMC »

hentzau wrote:He makes me want to play this game again, even though I really don't like it that much. He's a good salesman for games, I'll give him that.
Yeah, I keep wanting to like the game, but then I read reviews and look at the price and stay away from it.

They really made it look fun in the video, but I hate to say that there was a lot of speeding through things, and the score did not seem to change much... And, lots of dice... Wow.. You roll to determine this, and what number do you not want to come up and then roll... And that you keep rolling as long as you get at least one pass..Not sure how all of that would work out, seems easy to miss major things and destroy the game....
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I enjoy tabletop but when you already know the game and they get rule after rule wrong it gets a bit painful to watch... just watched the X-wing episode and there are so many rules errors it just started to drive me crazy. Maybe that means I'm too much of a stickler for rules... also Clare Grant throws the tie fighter at one point. Yeah don't ever touch my games :)

Fun episode still though even if it is a bit older now. I just watch them randomly anyways.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

According to GeekDad, Lords of Vegas might be the last episode of TableTop...ever.
This episode of TableTop features Miracle Laurie and Angela and Aubrey Webber of The Doubleclicks. They play the area control game, Lords of Vegas, where they compete against each other and Wil to become the most powerful bosses at the richest casinos.
Why the last?
Since its inception, the show has been funded through Geek & Sundry by YouTube’s Original Channel Initiative. After sinking $300 million into the program that supported just over 100 new channels featuring content from Madonna to ESPN to Deepak Chopra and, of course, Geek & Sundry, YouTube shuttered the program this past fall.

The sad, simple truth is that Geek & Sundry hasn’t announced new funding for its most popular and successful show, TableTop. Certainly, producing the show is a significant endeavor. The crew is made up of more than 30 people and with its set and camera and lighting requirements, it’s like putting on a small television program.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Smoove_B wrote:According to GeekDad, Lords of Vegas might be the last episode of TableTop...ever.
This episode of TableTop features Miracle Laurie and Angela and Aubrey Webber of The Doubleclicks. They play the area control game, Lords of Vegas, where they compete against each other and Wil to become the most powerful bosses at the richest casinos.
Why the last?
Since its inception, the show has been funded through Geek & Sundry by YouTube’s Original Channel Initiative. After sinking $300 million into the program that supported just over 100 new channels featuring content from Madonna to ESPN to Deepak Chopra and, of course, Geek & Sundry, YouTube shuttered the program this past fall.

The sad, simple truth is that Geek & Sundry hasn’t announced new funding for its most popular and successful show, TableTop. Certainly, producing the show is a significant endeavor. The crew is made up of more than 30 people and with its set and camera and lighting requirements, it’s like putting on a small television program.
But you would think they could get sponsors to fund the show, right? I am not sure how that works, but if some of the big companies could get their games reviewed, they might sponsor the show, right? Or would that put it into the territory of taking control away from Wil in choosing what games to review?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat