Wil Wheaton - Tabletop

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

KiloOhm

Re: Wil Wheaton - Tabletop

Post by KiloOhm »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
SpaceLord wrote:I'm so tired of Munchkin. Cute, but empty. Ugh.
Amen.
That's kind of the point isn't it? My friends and I play on occasion and it's always the game you play when you just want to enjoy each other's company and not be serious.
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fiasco is up.

Alison Haislip, Bonnie Burton, and John Rogers
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks! Im off!

EDIT: :( SADFACE! ...10 min in and I was dead. I just do not like story driven TableTop eps at all.So that's 2 I cant stand to watch. I hope they get back to board games soon.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote:Thanks! Im off!

EDIT: :( SADFACE! ...10 min in and I was dead. I just do not like story driven TableTop eps at all.So that's 2 I cant stand to watch. I hope they get back to board games soon.
I could understand that; some people are way more interested in the game mechanics/reviews. However, I actually thought the Fiasco episode was one of their best. It was just fun to watch them do their thing. The game looks like it could be a lot of fun with the right crowd and they had that. They had people on with enough personality to make it work.

I wonder if the actor/creative part of Wil's personality is going to push the show this way. They are still getting their format right so it'll probably evolve a bit over time but it may be that watching people play the games might be too dry in their opinion and they feel that they need to punch it up a bit to make it watchable. I personally hope they maintain a bit of balance because I don't mind both.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote:I wonder if the actor/creative part of Wil's personality is going to push the show this way. They are still getting their format right so it'll probably evolve a bit over time but it may be that watching people play the games might be too dry in their opinion and they feel that they need to punch it up a bit to make it watchable. I personally hope they maintain a bit of balance because I don't mind both.
I think, based on what I've read on his blogs and what he's mentioned on some webisodes, that all these games were recorded in a 2 week period last year and he's just publishing them over time. So we might see different games if there is a season 2, but Season 1 is all in the can.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
theohall

Post by theohall »

malchior wrote:However, I actually thought the Fiasco episode was one of their best. It was just fun to watch them do their thing. The game looks like it could be a lot of fun with the right crowd and they had that. They had people on with enough personality to make it work.

I wonder if the actor/creative part of Wil's personality is going to push the show this way. They are still getting their format right so it'll probably evolve a bit over time but it may be that watching people play the games might be too dry in their opinion and they feel that they need to punch it up a bit to make it watchable. I personally hope they maintain a bit of balance because I don't mind both.
These two Fiasco episodes are quite entertaining. The way Fiasco plays it truly is role-playing with the folks playing the game determining how well you role-played - whether your actions caused a negative or positive effect. What is awesome - really good role-playing can still lead to getting a negative result. (The Fiasco youtube episodes make this abundantly clear). Having three actors and a screenwriter certainly helped demonstrating this game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dixit is up. Dont think Ill care for it since it's another story game.

It has Leo Chu, Casey McKinnon and Beth Riesgraf.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I watched the first few minutes of it, but I don't think Dixit is a good "spectator" game. My extended family likes Dixit, I think it's OK. It's not what I'd call a storytelling game though, despite the game calling the active player the "Storyteller".
Rip

Post by Rip »

Season 6 of The Guild coming Oct 2nd!

http://theguild.geekandsundry.com/the-g ... -2nd-2012/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did you get the right thread Rip?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:Did you get the right thread Rip?
Is there a thread for the guild? I figured any thread related to geek and sundry will do since the guild is on there now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ah ya I see they are all owned by that site now. Ill be glad when Wil does a sci-fi game and gets away from the imaginative story ones.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Kind of Tabletop/Geek and Sundry/ Boardgame related...

I do a lot of support work at Target and have always been pleasantly surprised to see they carry a small assortment of "hobby" boardgames... Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, recently some FFG releases, etc. Today, I noticed that they have this special display advertising Settlers of Catan "As featured on 'Intenet Sensation' Geek and Sundry".

Just thought it was kind of cute... I like seeing the hobby going more mainstream :)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Patiently awaiting another game I think I'd be interested in.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After watching Hwil Hwheaton and the gang play Elder Sign a few weeks ago, I picked it up on the cheap from Amazon. It completely fell off my radar when it came out, but after playing D-Day Dice a few times, I at least understand what the deal is with Elder Sign. Plus, you can play it solo. Definitely watch the Tabletop if you haven't seen it. Felicia Day and Tentacles!

And yes, like Daveman I've seen some of these games now featured in Target. Pretty cool.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
raydude

Post by raydude »

Smoove_B wrote:After watching Hwil Hwheaton and the gang play Elder Sign a few weeks ago, I picked it up on the cheap from Amazon. It completely fell off my radar when it came out, but after playing D-Day Dice a few times, I at least understand what the deal is with Elder Sign. Plus, you can play it solo. Definitely watch the Tabletop if you haven't seen it. Felicia Day and Tentacles!
Good episode. And now I have something else I can put on my Christmas wishlist. Besides Felicia Day :)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

raydude wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:After watching Hwil Hwheaton and the gang play Elder Sign a few weeks ago, I picked it up on the cheap from Amazon. It completely fell off my radar when it came out, but after playing D-Day Dice a few times, I at least understand what the deal is with Elder Sign. Plus, you can play it solo. Definitely watch the Tabletop if you haven't seen it. Felicia Day and Tentacles!
Good episode. And now I have something else I can put on my Christmas wishlist. Besides Felicia Day :)
There's an App for that. The game. Not Felicia, sadly.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I enjoy Elder Sign, but find it too easy. I've played the board game maybe 5-6 times and the app an equal number, and I'd say I won 90% of those matches.

It could be the case that I'm just freaking awesome at battling Cthulhu, though, so your mileage may vary.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That seems to be one of the most common "complaints" about Elder Sign, though apparently difficulty can vary based on the number of people playing and the characters drawn. To me it looked like a perfect "casual" Cthulhu game, of which I can't think of any. I wanted to like Mansions of Madness but it's just too much prep on my end as the guy hosting gaming night. Similarly I've heard good things about Arkham Horror, but again, the time commitment seems ridiculous. After hosting a gaming night for almost 2 years now, I'm beginning to see we really do best with casual beer and pretzel type games. Elder Sign seemed to fit that bill perfectly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I still really enjoy Elder Sign. And yes, it can be very easy, depending on the GOO you are going after and the characters that are being played. That's why I always randomize character draws to keep the more powerful ones from showing up too often.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I bought Dixit when I was back home on break in order to take it to the Vientiane English Club.

We have a little meetup in a restaurant where expats and locals get together to supplement the highly grammatical English they get taught in school and I think this might be a good way to expand on some vocab and thinking.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I got Elder sign on for my android ages ago. And while it is, thankfully, much shorter than Arkham Horror, my experience was that luck played a huge factor in the game, and so I really didnt have much fun with it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytK1zDPP ... ure=relmfu" target="_blank

Pandemic is up. Watching now.

And also Wits & Wagers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9M_vEaj ... ure=relmfu" target="_blank
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And they are back from their break with Alhambra with:
Wil Wheaton and guests Ashley Johnson (Actress—Ben 10, The Killing), Shane Nickerson (Executive Producer—Ridiculousness), and Dodger Leigh (Coffeh Time, Press Heart to Continue) play Alhambra!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Somebody let tgb know. He loves this thing.

I would love to see the show get Charlie Sheen to play Fluxx.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So I went on a Tabletop marathon this weekend trying to catch up, as I had not watched an episode since the very first one.

Here's my take:

Ep. 1 - Small World: Own it
Ep. 2 - Settlers of Catan: Own it
Ep. 3 - Tsuro, Zombie Dice, Get Bit:

Tsuro looked awesome, and I have this on my wish list. Might not be quite as fun with 2 players but I just love the components and art style. Definitely picking this one up.

Zombie Dice also looked like a fun, fast, game that would be great between setups of bigger games, so I'll be picking that up as well.

Didn't really have an interest in Get Bit. I'm not a huge fan of "guess what the other player is betting" type games.

Ep. 4 - Ticket to Ride: Own it
Ep. 5 - Munchkin:

Looks like it would be fun to play once or twice, but I don't see it getting a lot of repeat play with my group so I passed. Great episode though.

Ep. 6 - Castle Panic:

Definitely going on my wish list. I love tower defense games, and this looks like a great intro game for new gamers and kids.

Ep. 7 - Gloom:

I like the Ed Gorey art style and theme, but I don't see this one clicking with anyone I know. Pass.

Ep. 8 & 9 - Fiasco:

The only episodes I actually watched five minutes of then skipped. Just not my type of game.

Ep. 10 - Say Anything:

Will definitely be picking this one up as my "party game." Looked like a lot of fun.

Ep. 11 - Elder Sign: Own it
Ep. 12 - Dixit:

Interesting concept but I don't see it getting played with my group. Nice art but a little too frou-frou for my group.

Ep. 13 - Wits & Wagers:

I may pick this up as a secondary party game, if nothing else but because I found some of the trivia pretty fascinating.

Ep. 14 - Pandemic: Own it
Ep. 15 - Last Night on Earth: Own it

Haven't watched Eps 16 or 17 yet. I guess it's a good sign that I own many of the ones he's covered. Makes me feel like I'm building up a pretty good library of the must-haves.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote:
Ep. 7 - Gloom:

I like the Ed Gorey art style and theme, but I don't see this one clicking with anyone I know. Pass.
That's too bad. It's actually a very, very fun game. It may be one of those games that's more fun to play than watch. Also...Cthulhu Gloom. Need I say more?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have had Cthulhu Gloom for a while, and just added the base game to my collection last week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You like it because you trashed Zarathud and I at it at Origins once. :P
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Must be why I love Nightfall, too. :P

But it's some good fun.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Beating me at ANY game is tantamount to winning a solo game. :cry:
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's too bad. It's actually a very, very fun game. It may be one of those games that's more fun to play than watch. Also...Cthulhu Gloom. Need I say more?
Hmm....well if CarrotTop likes it, it can't be all bad. Looks like it's available for under $20 so I may still give it a shot.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Star Flux - notable for having the extremely hot Chloe Dykstra in it.

Last Night on Earth - Truck Escape ep. Felicia Day plus a game Im very interested in..finally!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Dr Hannah
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chloe is so easy on the eyes....topped or topless.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Enlarge Image
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just watched the new ones. The Dragon Age one was the best. great adventure there.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They're running events for it this weekend it seems. That link is for local, Chicago events, but it sounds like they're having them all over the place.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We have some amazing guests this season, including Jeri Ryan
:shock: :shock: MUST.....WATCH....