Wil Wheaton - Tabletop

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Wil Wheaton - Tabletop

Post by Smoove_B »

Legendary with Markiplier, Allie Brosh, and Brea Grant.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Season 4 line-up.

Lanterns
Fury of Dracula
Mysterium
Code Names
FATE Core
Dragon Farkle
Flashpoint
Harbour
Eldritch Horror
Star Realms
Monarch
Star Trek – 5 Year Mission
Champions of Midgard
Steam Park
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Welcome To The Dungeon
Misspent Youth
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Wil Wheaton - Tabletop

Post by Zarathud »

I recommend Star Realms, TinY Epic Galaxy, Welcome to the Dungeon and Fury of Dracula.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Curious if star realms will be done two player.

Couple interesting ones there. Couple meh ones.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, can't figure out how Star Trek - 5 Year Mission made the cut.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

hentzau wrote:Yeah, can't figure out how Star Trek - 5 Year Mission made the cut.
Uh, it's Wil Wheaton show? Like... the guy on Star Trek... :D
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Moat_Man wrote:
hentzau wrote:Yeah, can't figure out how Star Trek - 5 Year Mission made the cut.
Sure, but he doesn't play every Star Trek game that comes out, and I don't think this is a very good game. I guess it works well with the show format.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wouldn't be surprised if he leveraged a crewmate or two for the episode.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I find a fair amount of this season seems like second tier games. I'll also be a bit bummed if Star Realms is multiplayer since it doesn't play nearly as well that way.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Harkonis wrote:I find a fair amount of this season seems like second tier games.
Season 3 or the newly announced season 4? The season 4 lineup seems slightly better than normal.

I personally enjoy:

Fury of Dracula
Mysterium
Code Names
Eldritch Horror
Flashpoint

I would have liked to have seen Blood Rage over Midgard though. Given how popular it is and how fast it has risen on the BGG charts it seems like a no-brainer.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

hentzau wrote:
Moat_Man wrote:
Sure, but he doesn't play every Star Trek game that comes out, and I don't think this is a very good game. I guess it works well with the show format.
I'm just teasing but remember that first and foremost this is a show. How "good" the game is, is secondary to how much entertainment value they can get out of it. A Star Trek game with the right group of people could make for some very entertaining moments.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The good news is that the next season of Tabletop launches tomorrow (11/2.)

The bad news is that only first two episodes are going to launch on YouTube. The rest of the season will be released bi-weekly on Alpha, Geek & Sundry's new subscription video service (and from what I'm seeing, one that is getting a huge amount of community backlash.)

If you don't want to pay, you'll have to wait until they start releasing them on YouTube in January.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I saw that in the announcement trailer today. Blech. I had already thought to myself that G&S hasn't had a lot I'm interested lately, and now they want $60/year in order to not wait months for their content?

Ugh. Although I presume they are only going this route because they couldn't make ends meet with Youtube itself. Sucks.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Consensus 'out there' seems to be that this was all Legendary's decision (Legendary Entertainment acquired G&S a while back.) I know it doesn't feel like Felicia Day's style.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Admittedly I haven't checked out what Geek and Sundry has fully, but $60 / year seems high, especially compared to $100/year for Amazon Prime.
Black Lives Matter.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I assume that Critical Role has a part to play in them pricing it that high...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote:I assume that Critical Role has a part to play in them pricing it that high...
Matt Mercer suggests otherwise.
These Alpha options will be available for those who want them/would find them enjoyable. We've stuck to our ground that Critical Role would exist unaffected by the launch of Alpha, nor change at all from the existing experience. This is a Legendary Digital platform initiative, not a Critical Role initiative, and we shall see how it pans out for the community. :)

As for Talks Machina, it's also something they want to try out. Brian is a good friend, and many people have talked about how they enjoyed Periscope conversations about post-game thoughts and debates, so the thought was to put that somewhere official. If folks don't like it, or we find it not enjoyable, we won't continue it. Simple as that.

I am not defending the platform at all, nor pushing for it's acceptance. Every company has to try and reinvent their presentation with the times, and I get that. I just want you all to know that Critical Role is staying, as is, for everyone who've been with us this whole ride.
He doesn't sound all that thrilled with Alpha himself.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Thanks for the clarification on that.

(Haven't dug into CR myself. Way too much content that I will never get through. If they would make audio versions available I would probably listen to it in the car.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've only seen a bit. Enough that I want to watch/listen to them. I may substitute them for podcasts while I'm painting (as soon as I get the oomph to get back to the brush.)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I usually have a western playing on my iPad while painting. But I could start playing these. Hmm... :think:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote:He doesn't sound all that thrilled with Alpha himself.
I was just looking around to see what was happening (arrives on Youtube 1/30/17) and came across a 12/28/16 blog post from Wil:
So much has happened with Tabletop in the last year or so that is upsetting, I almost don’t want to play games at all, because it makes me think about stuff that makes me sad. I created Tabletop to put more gamers into the world. That was all I wanted to do, and I think we did that. I didn’t want a lot of the other stuff that came along for the ride, and I hope that, someday, I’ll be able to find my way back to the joy that I wanted to share in the first place.
Well...that doesn't sound good. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hopefully just business stuff around the move to the paid service. I could see that getting on his nerves.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

stessier wrote:Hopefully just business stuff around the move to the paid service. I could see that getting on his nerves.
The comments seem to indicate it was the pay wall stuff and the delay on season access. He also stated his gaming group scattered quite a bit, which (as I can attest) is upsetting.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Well, this is sad..
My first TableTop episode was the X-Wing one which caused me to go on a shopping spree for it.. This caused my family and I to start semi-regular gaming nights which has been fun.... We have moved on from that, but keep playing other games, so TableTop has caused us to have a lot of fun nights...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First season was best anyways. Think Ill rewatch the full season.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just delayed youtube:
starting the week of January 30th, you’ll be able to catch episodes bi-weekly on YouTube and the Geek & Sundry Dot Com.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Punisher wrote:Well, this is sad..
My first TableTop episode was the X-Wing one which caused me to go on a shopping spree for it.. This caused my family and I to start semi-regular gaming nights which has been fun.... We have moved on from that, but keep playing other games, so TableTop has caused us to have a lot of fun nights...
You should tell Wil that in the comments to his blog. He appreciates that sort of praise, from what I have seen.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just did. Thanks for the suggestion.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

New episode up, Monarch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

And now,Tiny Epic Galaxies. Favorite Tiny Epic game.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Flashpoint: Fire Rescue w/ Clare Grant, Kelly Hu, & Seth Green
It's almost as if people are the problem.