[Kickstarter]Numenera - Fantasy Sci-Fi RPG from Monte Cook

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

IceBear

[Kickstarter]Numenera - Fantasy Sci-Fi RPG from Monte Cook

Post by IceBear »

Just noticed someone on Facebook has posted about this Kickstarter and since there are fans of Monte's Arcana Unearthed system here I thought I'd share (plus, I backed it and figured it can't hurt to get others to back it so I can get my books :P)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/143 ... ?ref=email" target="_blank
IceBear

Re: [Kickstarter]Numenera - Fantasy Sci-Fi RPG from Monte Co

Post by IceBear »

Oh, there's going to be a Thunderstone tie in to the game now.

Also, Monte was going to send some books to troops as one of the stretch goals and that almost got his kickstarter shutdown

http://www.montecookgames.com/politics- ... k-thereof/" target="_blank
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I wasn't going to back this one (I have a ton invested in D&D already, and we never have time to play) but the Thunderstone tie-in is intriguing me. Not sure I'm going to stay in the campaign, but I bought in for now.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I'm not sure why I bought in either as two of my players tend to be working weekends now so we haven't played in about a year now, but I used to collect RPG systems to raid and pillage ideas from and guess I am not ready to accept that it's pointless for me to keep doing that if I'm never going to play
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hmm. I didn't back this originally. Now I'm tempted. IB, what do you think of the system/world?

New Numenera Kickstarter.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
RMC

Post by RMC »

hentzau wrote:Hmm. I didn't back this originally. Now I'm tempted. IB, what do you think of the system/world?

New Numenera Kickstarter.
I have the core rulebook, and I am not really liking the system at all. I love the concept of the world, and the book is well constructed, but I tried the system with a few friends it never clicked with us. 5E and Pathfinder are better in my mind, but I am sure that there is a group that this system would work well with.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

If I go by activity in my Google+ communities, Numenera is more active than D&D, though I know that's not true. I actually haven't played it or The Strange (and have backed the Shotguns & Sorcery kickstarter which uses the same system) as my group is pretty much dead. We haven't played anything at all except for a couple of games of Shadowrun (despite owning all the D&D 5E books and coming from mainly a D&D background).

Anyway, I sort of feel like RMC in that it will be too "light" for my group. It's not supposed to be combat orientated (though most character options are combat related so in practice it's not really meeting the design intent of being a game of discovery and exploration. Anyway, I suspect the system is appealing to those who like less "crunch" in their systems and making it more story driven