Pokemon TCG

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Pokemon TCG

Post by coopasonic »

So uhhh.... my 6 year old is finally learning to play Pokemon. I have a couple theme decks and the packs they came with but sadly they aren't the "Electric ones like Pikachu." I checked Target and they have a few theme decks but not a single electric one. Is this some kind of scam where they make it impossible to build a deck around the character they feature? :P Any advice on how to get my hands on pokemon cards? I checked craigslist and people seem to value their pokemon cards more than I do.

I will go to the comic shop with my head hung low next week on my va(stay)cation.

Just curious if anyone has gone through this and has any tips.

Having played 5 or so games with my son, the game doesn't suck half as badly as I imagined.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Re: Pokemon TCG

Post by Zarathud »

I was just thinking about how to get ready to introduce the Pokemon card game to my 5 year old. She sleeps with a Snorlax (the best type of Pokemon--one who eats and sleeps all day!) so playing the card game is inevitable.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not into Pokeman but my daughter loves the SpongeBob. I used ebay quite a few times to pick up random sets of Spongebob TCG decks and then just trading cards. Yes, there are people that price them insanely high, but if you're patient I'm guessing you can find what you want at a reasonable price.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

My kids have been into Pokemon for quite awhile, and I've placed a few orders with BBToyStore.com to get some cards for them. Their prices seem reasonable (we bought a big stack of about 100 energy cards for around $12) and everything always arrived fairly quickly and in good shape. Don't know if they have what you're looking for but they appear to have a decent selection.
Debris

Post by Debris »

The latest series, Black and White, has two lightning decks released somewhat recently. The best that would probably give you what you want, namely Pikachu cards, is called Voltage Vortex and is from the Next Destinies release. It might be hard to find in stores, but you should be able to find online relatively easily.

The other lightning deck is called Furious Knights from the Black and White: Noble Victories set.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Debris wrote:The latest series, Black and White, has two lightning decks released somewhat recently. The best that would probably give you what you want, namely Pikachu cards, is called Voltage Vortex and is from the Next Destinies release. It might be hard to find in stores, but you should be able to find online relatively easily.

The other lightning deck is called Furious Knights from the Black and White: Noble Victories set.
Thanks for the specifics.

I guess I lucked out at Walmart yesterday. I was digging through the mess of stuff they had and found Voltage Vortex and bought it. I also got Storm Shaper but that looks to be much older (and was much cheaper!). I'm not sure my son will know or care.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

7 year old came home from school yesterday and indicated she would like to play Pokemon. Apparently watching every other kid at school playing the game has left an impression.

I have no idea where to begin. Pokemon is...big.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:7 year old came home from school yesterday and indicated she would like to play Pokemon. Apparently watching every other kid at school playing the game has left an impression.

I have no idea where to begin. Pokemon is...big.
It's big, but it also really simple. Go to the supermarket or toys r us and buy a couple starter decks and start playing. The starter decks come with play mats that have useful info on them. From a deck building perspective it is very much like Magic with energy in place of lands.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

You are a day late and a dollar short. Owen just gave away his entire Pokemon collection to a kid at cub scouts last night.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote:it is very much like Magic with energy in place of lands.
Ahh...the critical error you're making is that you assume I've played Magic the Gathering. Just because I own two versions of the game on STEAM and the 2014 starter set for the card game, don't assume I have any idea as to what you're talking about! :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OK, then it is like tag team wrestling with crazy stuffed animals in place of wrestlers.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, I get that. :wink:

I figure if a bunch of 7 year olds can figure it out, I should be able to teach myself...in a few months.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

My kids have been into Pokemon for years, and it turns out they never actually learned to play the game, they just collected the cards and made up their own rules for "games". My eldest son just learned the actual rules, and his response was "hey, the real way of playing is pretty fun!".

:doh:
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

When I was that age, the big card craze was UNO. Simpler times, man.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I still have no idea how to play but my 8 year old came home with a pack of cards she picked up at a dollar store, opened them and declared them all fake. She then explained to me (in detail) what was wrong with the cards, and after confirming it myself online I'm astounded. So much effort...to be sold in a dollar store. Also, I've never felt older and dumber in my whole life...than sitting on the other end of a counterfeit pokemon discussion with an 8 year old.