[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by hentzau »

Finished Doc Ock last night. Took about an hour.

Only Captain Marvel left. Well, and tidying up the bases.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

At some point I'm going to need to learn how to take better photos, but here's the Death May Die Star Spawn, courtesy of Citadel Contrast Paints and some Army Painter drybrush and highlight work. I think this took me an hour.

Up next for Isg: Fire Vampires!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here you go boss.

“It is not so much the things we know that terrify us as it is the things we do not know, the things that break all known laws and rules, the things that come upon us unaware and shatter the pleasant dream of our little world.”
I love Citadel Contrast paints. Holy crap these things are amazing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

From the classic franchise Star WAAAGHs.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

What I’ve been building for Fallout Wasteland Warfare.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

That is impressive hentzau!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I want to put some texture and details to otherwise plain bases where the miniature has already been painted and sealed (I use Testor's dullcote).

I'd rather not spray seal the whole thing again and was wondering... can I spray the dullcote on a paper plate (like a pallet) and then brush that onto the base?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think that would work - you'd end up spraying a ton on the paper and then rushing to get it on the brush - lots of waste.

Instead, you can get brush on, but I don't have any experience with it. I have no doubt there are specific application guidelines.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm a big fan of the Army Painter Anti-shine. It's my go-to after I dusted a batch of minis one time. Never any problems with dusting with that one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 am I'm a big fan of the Army Painter Anti-shine. It's my go-to after I dusted a batch of minis one time. Never any problems with dusting with that one.
This is the correct answer, and the same story got me to that point. Testor's Dullcote is very, very sensitive to temperature, humidity, and coat thickness. Get it wrong and you get this (not my mini, click to embiggen):

Enlarge Image
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I guess I've been lucky or just mindful of the weather, never had a problem with Testors. I was hoping to do something now with what I have on hand but will look into a brush on, thanks!

Mainly I'm annoyed because I just painted the first 7 figures for the Unmatched game (mean to post about it soon... it's a lot of fun!) and they all had basic unadorned bases. I painted them in a neutral gray. Today I received the Jurassic Park expansion and their bases are all nicely detailed with rocks, fallen leaves, tire tracks, etc. so now the originals look like crap in comparison. Just put some textured paint on top of them and will do it in brown with a lighter shade drybrushed just to make it look a little more interesting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used on a couple of hundred miniatures with no problem at all. Then one was ruined and I assumed it was a bad can. A couple of years later I had a whole set go frosty all at once. It isn't often, but knowing it is always a possibility is enough for me to make the switch.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Some 3D printed cryopods.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm waiting for the humidity to go down before Testor's clear coating about 30 figures and 20 pieces of terrain (boxes, barrels) that I've painted the last 2 weeks as stress relief. Humidity 80%+ for the next few days, unfortunately.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Tao wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:57 pm For folks who use a "wash" do you prefer to just heavily water down your paints or do you prefer the washes sold by vendors, which tend to be ink based?
I bought this a while back from Amazon. It is 8 different washes from Citadel and a wash brush.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Tao

Post by Tao »

miltonite wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 pm
Tao wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:57 pm For folks who use a "wash" do you prefer to just heavily water down your paints or do you prefer the washes sold by vendors, which tend to be ink based?
I bought this a while back from Amazon. It is 8 different washes from Citadel and a wash brush.
Thanks, picked up that very set about a week ago along with these two items;

Vallejo

Reaper Triad

I haven't tried the Reaper stuff yet but I have used some of the Vallejo and it's not perfect but much easier than my efforts to try and mix "Bronze Flesh" with various colors to come up with something. :)
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Army painter has a great box set of their washes and inks. $30 for 11 bottles.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Tao wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 pm I haven't tried the Reaper stuff yet but I have used some of the Vallejo and it's not perfect but much easier than my efforts to try and mix "Bronze Flesh" with various colors to come up with something. :)
One thing that I do that might help you is I keep a little notebook with notes on what paints I used on what minis. So that if I mix something and really like it is is much easier to reproduce.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tao wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 pm
I haven't tried the Reaper stuff yet but I have used some of the Vallejo and it's not perfect but much easier than my efforts to try and mix "Bronze Flesh" with various colors to come up with something. :)
Reaper triads are excellent, and have become my go-to for flesh.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Almost done with Mansions of Madness!

Ancient Basilisk

Star Vampire
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

And a Thrall. Down to the Dunwich Horror and I'll be through painting these. Of course, I'm likely to shift to Cthulhu Death May Die, so more Lovecraft, but at least I can be painting 38 investigators...

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

And Dunwich Horror! 5 months of painting a game is done. To the next 5 months!

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Biggest 3D print to date. I have most of the other pieces printed up too. Now I just need to follow through and paint them all.

(Render is the rest of the drive in. All printed, just need to assemble and paint)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Figure Painter Magazine is giving away free copies of their back issues as a quarantine gift. Link
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Wow! Thanks Blackhawk! Incredible find.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:22 am Figure Painter Magazine is giving away free copies of their back issues as a quarantine gift. Link
Link doesn't work for me. Can you please double check it?
Tao

Post by Tao »

Link worked for me yesterday, still works today but now it appears to be going to a Google Drive.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I am blown away by how amazing some of these painted miniatures are. We've got some talent here!

I spent a lot of time building and painting plastic models when I was younger (mostly WW2 ships), but I've never gotten into the fine detail of miniatures. That said, I've been doing a ton of 3D printing of miniatures lately for use in running my kids through the D&D starter campaign. I've printed goblins and wolves and bugbears and player characters (all in PLA), and they've come out pretty well so far. But I've been lazy and am just using them as in - white or grey mostly.

I've got time on my hands -- as we all do these days -- and I'm thinking about trying to paint some of these. Any advice for what type of paint to use on PLA? Other tips for painting 3D printed miniatures?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:19 pm I am blown away by how amazing some of these painted miniatures are. We've got some talent here!

I spent a lot of time building and painting plastic models when I was younger (mostly WW2 ships), but I've never gotten into the fine detail of miniatures. That said, I've been doing a ton of 3D printing of miniatures lately for use in running my kids through the D&D starter campaign. I've printed goblins and wolves and bugbears and player characters (all in PLA), and they've come out pretty well so far. But I've been lazy and am just using them as in - white or grey mostly.

I've got time on my hands -- as we all do these days -- and I'm thinking about trying to paint some of these. Any advice for what type of paint to use on PLA? Other tips for painting 3D printed miniatures?
Standard minis paints work great. But, I have found that a mini that looks pretty decent printed, once you get paint on it it you can really see the print lines and striations on it. I haven't tried printing with a smaller nozzle yet, but just wanted to warn you that it does have some limitations if you aren't using a resin printer. Let me try and find one of my minis I've printed and painted.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ok, here’s a cleric that I used for Winter Fantasy this year...

Looks fine on the table but up close he’s a big ole mess.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been working on some hidden areas on some of the 3d printed pieces you sent me trying different techniques for dealing with the lines. So far I've had the best results with multiple coats of Future, although that involves a lot of drying time.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Like I said I need to look at putting on a smaller nozzle. But really I’m thinking more and more about a resin printer for minis and keep using the PLA printer to print terrain.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Been painting a lot since the shelter-in-place came down and I feel like I pushed past one of those plateaus, where suddenly it's like a switch got flipped and things that were hard have gotten easy (or easier). Means I need to figure what to work on to push me again. I think highlights, probably.

A few Cthulhu: Death May Die investigators:

Meryl

Luke

Ernest
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It was finally decent enough to clear coat. Most of these are from a Christmas gift of the WizKids Townspeople & Accessories from my brother-in-law. The box includes a wide selection of townpeople with limited detail, but some of my favorites from the box aren't in this set:

The Wizkids Townspeople set includes both Pathfinder Bandits figures (so I now have 2 of each). The Barbarian, spiders, ticks, centipedes and snakes are from Reaper Bones. The 8 pillars are from Pathfinder Deep Cuts, as is the Tabaxi thief and Elf druid.

The WizKids Desk and the various crates, barrels and chests ("Extruded Gaming" on Amazon) were pained using the Citdael Contrast Wyldwood which come across as a very dark brown. My issue with the Contrast paints is that you have to get it right on the first coat. Going back for any touch-ups will result in a very, very dark color.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Painting during home isolation has been one of the distractions keeping me sane, but I've been painting steadily this year. This is my January-February set of figures that I put away after sealing without thinking of taking more photos:

Later this week I'll take photos of my set of painted Nolzur's evil dragons from last year's project.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Nice work!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Some F:WW vermin. I may add some glowing effects to some of them.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I do not want any of your cookies, thank you.