Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Blackhawk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:04 am

Thanks! I know a lot of Pathfinder dragons run small in D&D terms. This gives me what I need to know.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

hentzau
Loading…

Post by hentzau » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:48 pm

So I did it, BH...broke out the airbrush. And, I think I’m doing something wrong.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but I’m not getting good coverage. It was almost akin to a dry brush rather than a covering spray. I was using spray primer...the White was Vallejo and the tan was Stynylrez. It was like a solid 5 minutes of airbrushing per fig to get what you see there.

Maybe too much pressure? Not enough pressure? I was running at around 30 psi when I was brushing. I had the trigger all the way down and back and got what you see.

Off to the inter webs to research.
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:29 pm

I've seen anywhere from 10 to 40 PSI for airbrushing (although most fall in the 15-30 range.) It varies somewhat between paints and brushes. My thoughts are, first, work the kinks out on paper with contrasting paint, not on miniatures. It'll help you figure out what's going on. Spidering? Too thick? Too thin? Too close? Too far? Sputtering? They all have different causes. One thing that I've learned is that maintenance is an absolute must. A few times I had horribly uneven paint flow and it turned out that there was an almost imperceptible spot of paint dried on the needle interrupting the flow.

There's a learning curve for sure. The results are worth it (especially with the amount of terrain you make), but you have to approach it as a new skill that requires learning rather than just a variant of a spray can.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

hentzau
Loading…

Post by hentzau » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:56 am

Abandoned the airbrush, used paint on primer. A few things I finished up over the weekend...

"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

Zarathud

[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Zarathud » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:40 am

Nice (paint) rack.

Love dogmeat and the colors on the guard. The base and grit on the vault dweller too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867