OO goes to war! A Hornet Leader AAR: North Atlantic '86

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: OO goes to war! A Hornet Leader AAR: North Atlantic '86

Post by Remus West »

Is it too soon to go through Maverick's stuff to see if he had anything we might want? :ninja:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remus West wrote:Is it too soon to go through Maverick's stuff to see if he had anything we might want? :ninja:
I've heard rumors of a "classically handsome, prone to party, but somewhat amnesic American" washing ashore outside of Reykjavik. It's said he's quite short but makes up for it tenfold in bravado...

Someone get on the horn to NASKEF immediately!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The third day continued

Phoenix missile attacks

Bison locks his Phoenix missiles onto three bandits and lets them fly. Two bandits disappear in a ball of flame but one bandit banks at the last moment and avoids the missile.

Fast Pilots attack

As the planes close, Bison sees another target of opportunity and launches a Sparrow at a threat toward the west

Bison needs a 3 to hit and makes it with a 4

Bandits/sites attack

The MiG is eliminated but the planes are painted with radar from three SAM sites and a MiG-23. The MiG is vectoring toward Bear and goes in for the attack but Hunter lets loose a missile and suppresses the MiG. Two SAM sites paint Extra and fire but Extra's jamming pod sends the missiles harmlessly past him. Bear is able to dodge another SAM due to effective jamming.

Slow pilots attack

Wolf lines up a shot at a MiG

Needs a 5, rolls an 8

He fires two Sparrows at the target and scores a hit, splashing another MiG. Hunter and Extra try to take out some SAM sites and clear a path to the target. Hunter and Extra fire an AGM-88.

Hunter needs a 3 to hit and makes the roll with a 3. Extra does the same and two SAM batteries are eliminated.

Since I have some more turns I decide to keep the planes in the standoff area and take out more of the target's defenses before rolling in with my bombs. All in all not a bad turn. Will post the end of turn pic soon and wrap up the day's mission. Sorry for the delay folks! That pesky real life thing is getting in the way.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
raydude

Post by raydude »

Wolf checked his radar and called out "Contact, multiple bogeys" just as Bison fired his phoenix missiles. He spared a glance at the missile trails for a split second, wishing they would all hit. He went back to his radar and started locking up the bogey his radar system classified as the Mig-23. Hunter got off a missile snapshot as the Mig turned towards Bear, forcing the Mig to evade - and in the process putting Wolf on his 7 o'clock. "Target locked. Fox 1". The Sparrow flew straight and true and the Mig had bled off too much airspeed evading Hunter's shot to avoid this one.

"That one's for Maverick," he said, seeing the distant black puff and watching the Mig contact disappear from his HUD.
Last edited by raydude on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fox 1 - semi-active radar guided missile (such as the AIM-7 Sparrow)
Fox 2 - infrared-guided missile (such as the AIM-9 Sidewinder)
Fox 3 - active radar guided missile (such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM) and (AIM-54 Phoenix)
Fox 4 - Historical term for cannon fire. Current usage is "Guns, guns, guns"
It's almost as if people are the problem.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Goddammit, I thought I had it right :)
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

$iljanus wrote: Hunter needs a 3 to hit and makes the roll with a 3. Extra does the same and two SAM batteries are eliminated.
This is SAM. SAM I slam. Do you like green eggs and ham?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Too much loitering. I am bingo!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I sank to the bottom weeks ago. I don't even want to know what I've ate and drank if I've survived.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Daehawk wrote:I think I sank to the bottom weeks ago. I don't even want to know what I've ate and drank if I've survived.
I'm going to go ahead and assume you have been marrooned on Gilligan's Island with Ginger and Maryann being the only two other survivors left to keep you company. Enjoy.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm rather embarrassed. I do have pics of the current mission and part of the next so I hope to push that out this weekend. As far as I know Europe hasn't been turned into a nuclear wasteland in the meantime...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was going to say I swam to shore and hooked up wit hX-Com to fight aliens but i like Ginger and Maryann better. Especially Maryanne
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.