OO goes to war! A Hornet Leader AAR: North Atlantic '86

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

OO goes to war! A Hornet Leader AAR: North Atlantic '86

Post by $iljanus »

Hi all!

Before I start channeling my inner Tom Clancy/Larry Bond let me give some background on the game.

So I've recently been playing this solitaire wargame called Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations created by Dan Verssen of Dan Verssen Games (DVG). The quality of the cards and board is excellent along with thick counters. When it was delivered it was pretty damn heavy too. Definitely passes "the lift test" for games. :wink: Boardgamegeek has some wonderful user videos which review the game and show some gameplay.

Unlike many wargames/board games where solitaire rules are tacked on as an extra ruleset or you're playing both sides in a game, this game is exclusively for solitaire play where you're managing a group of planes for various missions taking place in either past conflicts or hypothetical conflicts. Your targets can vary between taking out land or sea targets, providing close air support to troops where every missed bomb or missile you drop adds a stress point to your pilot, or carrier defense where if one enemy bomber survives, the game ends. Targets can have modifiers that reward you or penalize you. And there are "event" cards which are drawn at various points in a mission which could have great benefits or really screw you over. I've heard this game compared to football manager where I guess you have a roster of players with different skills and you're putting together a team and running matches, without the bombs and missiles streaking up toward you of course. The title of the game is "Hornet Leader" so the F-18 is very prominent in the game but depending on the campaign year you can have a variety of planes to choose from as long as the plane you choose was in service that year. I chose the North Atlantic 1986 campaign due to the wide variety of planes I wanted to use.

Since things got a little busy at home and I'm now finishing this up at 11:50 PM, I'll introduce the planes and the OO aviators that will be flying them into harms way and will go over in my next post what all the stats on the card mean before they fly their first mission. Picked with much forethought and deliberation from the plastic cup of destiny, I present to you the Fighting 88th OO Squadron!

First my F-18 pilots. They will serve in a all-around ground attack/air superiority role:

Isgrimmur, call sign "Bear"
El Guapo, call sign "Duke"

Fretmute, call sign "Hunter"
Raydude, call sign "Wolf"

My F-14 pilots who will dominate the airspace:

LawBeefaroni, call sign "Bison"
Daehawk, call sign "Maverick"

And finally my heavy lifters, the A-6 pilots:

Hipolito, call sign "Extra" (at first I thought that was a typo since that's pretty strange call sign, but perhaps it's better than...)
Remus West, call sign "Mullet"

It's late, get rest and after a bit more explaining in my next post combat operations will commence.

Good night my naval aviators!

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
raydude

Re: OO goes to war! A Hornet Leader AAR: North Atlantic '86

Post by raydude »

Dear Mom and Dad,

You're probably getting all nervous by now, seeing the news reports on TV. I can't tell you where we are or what we're doing but I can say I'm all right. The guys in my squadron are great. Everyone kids me about being the new guy but at the end of the day no one wants to see anyone go home in a box. Please tell Carolyn I'm fine and big brother can't wait to get home and hear all about her geology research trips. I'll try not to fall asleep when she's telling them.

Love,
Raydude
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

This is going to be worth reading for the jokes alone.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Well, at least I'm not the newbie.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'll show you average!
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Having met him, I am amused by Remus' call sign. :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AIM-7 Sparrow: semi-active radar air to air missile (AAM), medium range
AIM-9 Sidewinder: infrared AAM, short range
AIM-54 Phoenix: active radar, long range
AIM-120 AMRAAM (Advanced Medium-Range AAM): active radar, advanced medium range (beyond visual range capable)

Mk20 Rockeye II: anti-tank cluster bomb, otherwise known as CBU-100
Mk82: 500 lb dumb iron bomb
Mk83: 1000 lb dumb iron bomb
Mk84: 2000 lb dumb iron bomb

AGM-62 Walleye: TV-guided bomb
AGM-65 Maverick: TV/laser air to ground missile (AGM)
AGM-84 Harpoon: Anti-shipping missile
AGM-88 HARM: High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile for destroying enemy radar installations
AGM-130: 2000 lb rocket-propelled guided bomb
AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapon: 1000 lb glide bomb

GBU-10 Paveway II: laser-guided Mk84
GBU-12 Paveway II: laser-guided Mk82
GBU-16 Paveway II: laser-guided Mk83
GBU-31 JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munition): GPS/INS guided Mk84
GBU-32 JDAM: GPS/INS guided Mk83
GBU-38 JDAM: GPS/INS guided Mk82
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I request that my plane have external speakers to blast the enemy with Bon Jovi along with the ordinance.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Remus West wrote:I request that my plane have external speakers to blast the enemy with Bon Jovi along with the ordinance.
The "Pimp My Ride" option costs too many special option points.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

HA my first thought when I saw my plane was "oh cool Im Tom Cruise in Top Gun" then I saw my call sign and passed out.

Talk to me Goose! I've packed Kenny Loggins in my flight pack. Not the cassette...the real Kenny Loggins. Now if he would just stop singing Footloose.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh geez, I'm Maverick's wingman? I'm gonna need the patience of Chappy Sinclair.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

If I buy it, I vow to blame breakfast and haunt the mess.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remember: if you hit the brakes, he'll fly right by!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Remus West wrote:I request that my plane have external speakers to blast the enemy with Bon Jovi along with the ordinance.
Have you noticed that $iljanus stuck us in the slow planes? The war will be over by the time we get there.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So let me explain the plane cards a bit before we do our first mission in the hopefully near future. I'll get into the other "mechanics" of the game as we fly with explanations interspersed with "in character" AAR narration. I'll start at the top and work my way around clockwise.

At 12 o'clock is the call sign and the experience level. The number next to the level is the number of XP points needed to get to the next level. Every mission you fly earns you XP points and as when you match or exceed the XP value listed you go up a level. Points beyond the amount needed are counted towards gaining the next level. As you gain experience your stats will start to change such as the amount of stress points you can incur before becoming shaken increases, or your attack speed goes from slow to fast or you have positive modifiers to your AtA (air to air) or AtG (air to ground) attack values.

At 1 o'clock there's a value called "SA" which stands for "Situational Awareness". For every point of SA you use in a turn during a mission you are allowed an extra attack within the turn. Attacks unfold within a turn in the following manner: Pilots with a "fast" rating attack a target first, followed by bandits/SAM sites resolving their attacks against you then ending with the "slow" pilots resolving their attacks. Now Duke has one SA point so if he decides to spend it during a turn he can attack during the "fast" portion and again in the slow portion. If Duke was a "fast" pilot, spending a SA point would let him attack as usual in the fast phase and again in the slow phase. Pilots with a SA point that are designated as the flight leader for their mission can give that point to another pilot. E2-C Hawkeye electronic warfare planes can also give SA points to other pilots (not using those planes in this campaign)

At 5 o'clock the yellow number with the "W" above represents your weight points. All ordinance and ECM pods in the game have a weight value attached to it which is counted toward your weight points. Various air to ground missiles and bombs have the capability of inflicting multiple hits on a target, which is quite useful for attacking hardened bunkers or large industrial facilities. The advantage these weapons have is balanced out by their weight which makes sense (powerful bomb = heavier bomb). Your weight points can be reduced due to the distance from the carrier to the target or by an unlucky event card.

The bottom of the card shows that the plane has a 20mm cannon. This is typically used in AtA (air to air) situations when you have no missiles left or AtG (air to ground) situations when you're out of bombs/missiles. It's a weapon of last resort since your to hit value is a 10. And you have to be in the same airspace as your target. Other planes have no gun or other things are written in that space.

At 8 o'clock is a green number with a "C" above it. C is for "Cool" which is the number of points you can use to reduce your pilots accumulated stress points at the end of a mission. During a mission a pilot can accrue stress points due to an unlucky event card, the nature of the target (close air support mission or a secret lab) or an successful bandit/site attack on your plane. When a bandit or hostile SAM/AAA site makes their attack roll your plane is either destroyed, heavily damaged and you get I think 2 stress points or a close hit which gives the pilot one stress point. Also, pilots have the option of "evading" the attack which lets you roll twice for resolving enemy attacks against and you take the lower value. But that maneuver will give you 2 stress points. At the end of a mission, everyone is usually given a stress point as well. After all the stress points are added up, pilots that have a cool point can take off a point of stress. With enough stress you can be declared unfit to fly. Stress can also be reduced by spending special option points for R&R or not flying a pilot for a day. So Bear has one cool point and lets say he accumulated 6 stress points after a mission and now has the status of "shaken", having lost all his air to air and air to ground positive modifiers during the mission. I can take one point off due to his "cool" factor and his flight status will be back to being "okay" and he gets his bonuses back.

Cool cannot be used to reduce stress during a mission. It is only applied at the end so poor Bear has to endure his shaken status till he gets way back to the carrier.

I'll use Duke's stats to describe the bottom third of the card.

Stress: 0-4 or 5-8. Duke can accumulate up to 4 points of stress and retain his "okay" status. But once he has 5 to 8 points of stress his status changes to "shaken". Under AtA (air to air) and AtG (AtG) you have to hit modifiers. If Duke's okay he has a AtG +1 bonus to his to hit roll when attacking ground targets. But if he gets shaken up during a mission his AtG bonus drops to a -1 penalty and he also incurs a -2 penalty to his AtA attack rolls. Speed tells you when your pilot is attacking, either in the "fast" or "slow" phase as described above.

Hope all this verbage was informative!
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So according to my card Im an easily shaken noob who sits in the cockpit and makes pew pew sounds while sitting on the deck. Hmmm ok. Who wants to fly with me?? :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote:So according to my card Im an easily shaken noob who sits in the cockpit and makes pew pew sounds while sitting on the deck. Hmmm ok. Who wants to fly with me?? :)
But you're a fast learner. Stick with me kid, I'm fast and average!
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Hipolito wrote:
Have you noticed that $iljanus stuck us in the slow planes? The war will be over by the time we get there.
Everyone except Bison over there is slow. At least we have enough points to counter that. Some folks *cough*Maverick*cough* don't.
Plus, we get to have the really neat shades because we are in the Cool clique.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Remus West wrote:
Hipolito wrote:
Everyone except Bison over there is slow. At least we have enough points to counter that. Some folks *cough*Maverick*cough* don't.
Plus, we get to have the really neat shades because we are in the Cool clique.
Hey im supposed to be slow! As hol said....
Remember: if you hit the brakes, he'll fly right by!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Permission to taxi yet sir?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daehawk wrote:Permission to taxi yet sir?
Soon Maverick. I need to go to work tonight after watching the Skins win (or not win). (edit: son of a bitch! not win it is I guess!) You'll get your chance to die soon enough. :lol:
Last edited by $iljanus on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ahh poooo. I already have my last will and testament filled out. I even got my wingman one.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a game similar to this for PCs from Matrixgames called Hornet Leader. Was it derived from this game?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

That is my understanding, and if they get the Cthulhu expansion I will be buying it :-)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Seeing as how I'm the only one who has any awareness points, I feel it incumbent on me to explain this:

Shoot this, and make it go boom. Don't let them shoot you.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:Seeing as how I'm the only one who has any awareness points, I feel it incumbent on me to explain this:

Enlarge Image

Shoot this, and make it go boom. Don't let them shoot you.
Except Mullet and Extra.

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Yeah, my only hope to make that go boom is to either trick it into flying into a cliff or getting really really lucky with a bomb dropped onto it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just bomb the plane.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QcrhF5ZlpQ" target="_blank
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote:Just bomb the plane.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QcrhF5ZlpQ" target="_blank
See? No excuses Remus.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So let's get this started...

1986 was the year that a new leader was starting to assert himself in Russia. With the institution of various reforms, "perestroika" and "glasnost" became symbols of hope for a myriad of peoples from the republics in the east to East Germany, long used to being governed by the uncompromising Soviet socialist system. But there were others who took a different view of what was emerging...

March 1986: Secret talks between President Reagan and General Secretary Gorbachev discuss the drawing down of US nuclear forces in Western Europe along with the pull back of large number of Soviet units from Warsaw Pact countries.

April 1986: Various generals and cabinet officials representing "the old guard" are replaced by people who share Gorbachev's vision. Certain officials derisively call it "the coup of the doves".

May 1986: A motorcade transporting Gorbachev to his private dacha on the Black Sea is involved in a car accident. (Intel source code named "Magnus" confirms months later that it was an assassination attempt). Gorbachev is gravely injured and dies a week later

May 1986: The relatively unknown head of the Ministry of Transport is named the Secretary General for the interm. Promises to continue the reforms of his predecessor and as a gesture of good faith begins to move SS-18 missiles out of Warsaw Pact countries. Later intelligence dissected after hostilities break out show that the Ministry of Transport belonged to a group of hardline officials and generals who took it upon themselves to take whatever actions were necessary to protect Soviet Socialism if current ruling officials began to stray. The movement of SS-18s was a gambit by this group to lull the US into a false sense of security.

September 21 1986 0245 GMT:
FLASH MSG ALL NAVAL FLEET COMMANDS FROM NMCC BREAK AUTHENTICATION ZULU BRAVO WHISKEY HOTEL ALPHA ALPHA BREAK MSG FOLLOWS

AS 0215 GMT SOVIET DIESEL SUBS ALONG THE US SEABOARD HAVE LAUNCHED NUCLEAR CRUISE MISSILES TARGETING GROTON, NORFOLK, CHARLESTON, JACKSONVILLE, SAN DIEGO. WARSAW PACT UNITS HAVE CROSSED INTO GERMANY, SWEDEN AND NORWAY IN FORCE. THE NATO ALLIANCE HAS ENTERED INTO A STATE OF HOSTILITIES WITH THE WARSAW PACT. ALL FLEETS WILL INITIATE DEFENSIVE FORMATIONS IN ANTICIPATION OF POSSIBLE NUCLEAR STRIKES. UNITS WILL STAND BY TO RECEIVE BATTLE ORDERS. UNRESTRICTED CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS RELEASE HAS BEEN GRANTED ALL UNITS BREAK MSG ENDS
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The balloon has gone up. Or if you prefer a little anachronism.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

"Mom I dont wanna go to school" *gets shook violently*.....Wakes up holding an officer by the shirt and sits up with a start *WHAM! right into the bunk above him* "Sir! Sorry sir was just...."... "No time for that Maverick! It's started...it's started Mav...it's war!" ...as he is leaving the quarters he looks over his shoulder ..."FlightCom wants you dressed and in the briefing room in 10. The shits really hit the fan"

And I was looking forward to ice cream for breakfast.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

September 23 pre-mission briefing USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, Captain:

Gentlemen, here's some of what we know. On the 21st diesel subs specially designed for silent running and long range approached the US seaboard and launched a nuclear strike against various naval installations and cities. We were able to intercept many of their subs but due to their quiet engines a few subs were able to launch missiles. The cruise missiles in question were designed more for EMP than a high nuclear blast yield. Even so, grievous damage was done to many of our facilities. Intelligence theorizes that the Soviet command was trying to launch a limited counterforce attack as opposed to a countervalue attack with low yield weapons to try to keep this a "conventional" war more or less. Since the Tridents haven't launched I guess we're in a old-fashioned gunfight for the moment.

Sleeper agents and Spetnaz units in place before the Warsaw Pact attacked managed to wreak havoc in Germany, England, Norway and Sweden. NATO forces have fallen back and consolidated their defense lines but Pact forces are getting dangerously close to NATO's political line where tactical nuclear weapons will be considered.

Furthermore, Soviet forces in strength in Norway and Sweden as well as in the North Atlantic have disrupted the schedule of our Reforger operations so NATO units are not getting timely reinforcements of men or materiel. With the battle damage suffered by our sister ship, the USS Nimitz and the destruction of the USS John F Kennedy, we are the only viable carrier group in the area for the next 5 days.

Our orders are to forcefully engage the Red Banner Northern Fleet and provide support to Norwegian and Swedish units still fighting in the region. If practical, airstrikes will be launched against targets in Poland and Belarus in order to degrade the enemy's infrastructure and command and control facilities.

It will be a difficult 5 days gentlemen and a lot will be asked of you. But your training will prevail and I couldn't ask for a better group of warriors to undertake this task. Good hunting gentlemen and Godspeed.

So here's the chart showing the campaign map. We're flying the short 5 day campaign which gives us 22 special option points (used to buy special weapons, reduce stress, negate weight point penalties). This will be challenging because I'll have to be frugal with those points with every mission.

Starting at the upper left corner where our carrier is and working our way to the bottom right you see the map is divided into 5 sections or "bands". The first band in the upper right has a WP (weight penality) of 0 meaning a plane can carry a full load and stress of 1 which will be added to the pilots stress points at the end of a mission. As you get further away from the carrier you'll see that you start to incur WPs and more stress. The targets at the last band have the greatest WP and stress due to the distance but those who dare can get an extra 1XP for flying the mission.

At the bottom of the chart are three rows marked recon, intel and infra (infrastructure). As targets are destroyed counters are moved from the left to right depending on what's listed on the target card. At the beginning we have a recon of 3 where you can pick up to 3 target cards. Intel shows +3 center bandits which means immediately around the target there will be three extra bandits in addition to what the target has assigned and infrastructure lists +1 hit which means that all targets have an additional hit added to what's listed on the target card ie target that needs 6 hits to be destroyed now needs 7. So destroying targets not only gets your pilots experience and gains you victory points (VP) but will make the game easier as well.

Here are the 3 target cards I've drawn (apologies for quality am trying to work out the best way to take the pic in my dining room):

Nimitz squadron commander:

A US Marine Force Recon unit that was conducting joint exercises with Swedish marines before the war has requested air support for an operation they are conducting with our Swedish allies. There are two other targets of opportunity but since we are still recovering from battle damage I think our resources will be better used for the moment against targets closer to home. I'm tasking Duke, Hunter, Bison and Mullet with this mission. Duke will be flight leader. There's a possibility of a lot of enemy air support of their own so I'm relying on Bison to clear them out. Hunter, stay close to Duke and you'll do okay. I know nothing fazes Mullet which is good because you're gonna be up close and personal with all the iron bombs. Good hunting, Gentleman

I picked the Close Air Support mission (#46 on the left) because I wasn't ready to throw all 8 of my planes at that juicy Government Building target which is worth 4VP and if I score 18+ hits I'll also get an extra VP along with an extra XP due to how far the target is. That said, everyone at the end of the mission will have 4 stress points added to their tally which would change many of you from "okay" to "shaken". Also I'd have to spend 8 OP (1 OP per plane) to negate the -4 WP since the Gov Bldg target needs at a minimum 15 hits to destroy it (14+1 due to infrastructure) and that takes a lot of bombs. The SAM trap target 9 doesn't have a lot of bandits and I think I could have taken out the sites that are listed in the objective but it's has an additional +2 stress along with the +4 stress for that target band. The Close Air Support doesn't have that many sites surrounding the target (1 site in each approach area total of 4, 2 in the center) and not as many bandits as the Gov Building would have had (1 bandit per approach area, 1 bandit plus 3 due to intel in the center). Now a thing about bandits is that you draw them from a cup for placement and sometimes you draw a "no bandit" counter which means what it says. I'm hoping that I'll draw a few of those and Bison can take care of the rest.

Very late now so I'm going to bed. Next I'll post the pilot pics with ordinance, pics of the sites and bandits surrounding the target and off we go! And I'll explain what "secondary" "Friendly Fire" "Dispersed" and "Soft" mean in the target card. With later missions we can concentrate less on background and more on AAR orientated stuff.
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

STRESS! STRESS!? I Don't need any stress! I get to stay home and have ice cream? Can't I have ice cream in the plane on the way? What do you mean I'm the pilot? Oh...Oh I see. Ok then. I'll be in the mess if anyone needs me. Bring napkins please.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

You heard the man, boys! Stay close and you'll be fine.

Also, why did the Soviets skip over Finland?
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Also, why did the Soviets skip over Finland?
They remember the Winter War. They may be dirty commie bastards who just killed their best shot at redemption but they're not stupid.

I'm all suited up and ready to take out some MiGs!

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carefully tucking the oversized comb into his back pocket Mullet stretches in his seat then goes off to begin painting "To Russia with Love, Mullet." on each of the bombs.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wrote Wil Wheaton's Tabletop and got a reply today. heres what I sent and what they said. I got a reply from a Nick at the Geek and Sundry .

Me:
Hi Wil. Love Tabletop but I'm not a fan of the story driven made up stuff . Have you thought about doing one on Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations? One of our forum members is doing an AAR with us on our msg board at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=83242" target="_blank . Stop in and read up if you like. We'd love to have you join the board. We love ya. You're just one of us at heart :)

Anyways what kind of board games do you have on tap for the future. I'd love to see a military themed one if you cant do Hornet. Also I'm a sci-fi fan..a HUGE sci-fi fan. A good space or sci-fi themed Tabletop would be great!

Thanks for your time...

Daehawk
Them:
Hi Brian!

Glad to hear you like the show; thanks for writing in! We've already filmed our first season in entirety, so we'll consider Hornet Leader for next season. We do try to get a wide variety of games, though, so hopefully we'll have a little something for everybody. Without divulging our schedule (I'm sworn to secrecy on that), I will say that we have a sci-fi themed game coming down the pipe for you :)
So at least I'll get a good sci-fi one :)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I like Wheaton's Tabletop show. Don't know if Hornet Leader would fit in such a format but it would be nice if they were able to make it work. I can't wait to see what they choose for the sci-fi game. I bet Space Alert would be a good candidate!
Black lives matter!

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The planes were loaded during the night for a pre-dawn launch. The scene and mood on the carrier would be familiar to anyone who served during Vietnam, Korea or World War 2. There was a bit of a chuckle as they were loading the bombs onto Mullet's Intruder but for the most part everyone carried out their tasks with an almost quiet efficiency.

So all planes are being equipped with an ECM pod. This useful gadget will allow you to avoid a hit with a roll of 6 or higher. If you don't make the ECM roll you have the option to evade for only 1 stress point vs two. Evasion lets you roll twice for a hostile to hit roll and you would take the lower of the two rolls.

Loadouts

Mullet/Remus West: 5 x Mk20, 3 x AGM-65 (Maverick)
So the target description had the terms "dispersed" and "soft". "Dispersed" means that AtG ordinance can only score one hit against the target unless there's a "D" on the counter, probably simulating the dispersion of troops/tanks/ships/etc within a target. If you look at the upper right corner of the Mk20 you see 8/11. If you roll an 8-10 the bomb has scored one hit on the target. 11 and above means you've scored two hits. Since there's a D on the counter, it's possible to score two hits. Now you're rolling a d10 die for your rolls but bonuses can get added to the roll which make. There's a "S+5" on the counter which mean that against a soft target you can add +5 to your to hit roll. Since this is a soft target I figured that good old fashioned cluster bombs like the Mk 20 would be effective. The L in the bottom right means the plane has to be at low altitude to drop and the 1 in the upper left is the weight point. The 0 in the circle means you need to be in the same area as the target to drop.

AGM-65s are useful vs dispersed targets as well but have a vehicle bonus which isn't used against our particular target. They are standoff missiles with a range of 2 areas from the target and can be dropped at either high or low altitude. I had them loaded to take out a non-radar flak site in the target area that would be a threat to low range aircraft. They have a weight point of 2 so can't use too many of them.

Bison/Lawbeefaroni: 3 x AIM-64 (Phoenix) 3 x AIM-7 (Sparrow) 1 X AIM-9 (Sidewinder)
The strength of the F-14 is its ability to carry the Phoenix missile. Not only is it a long range AtA missile with a range of 4 on the game board there is the opportunity to fire those missiles before the turns start at multiple targets. The plane can carry a total of 6 but each missile costs 1 special option (SO) point so to be frugal I decided to load only 3. There's a 0 in a red circle for both the AIM-64 and AIM-7 which means that if a bandit is in the same area your plane is in, those missiles cannot be used. That's why I threw in a AIM-9 Sidewinder for any short range fighting.

Duke/El Guapo: 2 x AIM-7, 2 X AGM-88 HARM, 1 X AGM-65, 1 X Mk20
Duke is sort of the jack of all trades here. I armed him with some AGM-88 missiles to take care of some radar guided SAM sites which may give us trouble. Radar sites can be targeted by any AtG ordinance but the AGM-88 can only target radar using sites (marked with a R). Their specificity is compensated by the fact that they have a long range of 3 so can hopefully be used to destroy any sites before our planes are in their range. Had a mix of other AtG ordinance to help out Mullet and gave him a pair of Sparrows in case of bandit trouble.

Note: It turns out that during this time period, F/A-18C Hornets cannot mount AGM-65s. Not used to playing with that rule so in future missions they won't carry them but I only noticed that after running this mission. I'll say an inexperienced deck hand made it work but was discouraged from doing it in the future since there was the possibility of the bomb falling off the plane during takeoff.

Hunter/Fretmute: 4 x AIM-7, 3 x AIM-9
He's a bit green but has some AtA aptitude so I just loaded some AtA missiles to back up Bison

At this point in the game I've picked anti-air sites from my Randomizer 5000 red plastic cup, placed them on the board and armed my aircraft which is the "pre-flight" phase. Next is the "target-bound flight" phase and that starts by drawing an event card which could be really cool or screw us over and not in a good way.

And the card is...

Now I had to look up what Sierra Hotel meant and courtesy of the avaitor's slang site at tailhook.org (SFW)
Sierra Hotel: Phonetic abbreviation for “shit hot,” high praise; the pilot’s favorite and all-purpose expression of approval.
Shit hot indeed! The text in the upper third of the event card is the event applied when drawing the event card during the target-bound phase. We're getting a nice +1 to all our attack rolls for this mission.

Now we place our aircraft and then out come the bandits, whose strength and number we don't know until after all our aircraft are on the board. I forgot to take a pic of the board pre-bandit so here's a pic of everything on the board at the start. I'm using the big img for this picture.

Enlarge Image

So I chose the standoff area to the south of our target. Notice that with the exception of the mobile SAM battery in the center area with a range of 1 (can't make out the counter designation, sorry) all the other sites are only effective with their area. I figure that an approach from the south at high altitude, dropping low in the center area seemed viable, taking out the SAM battery with AGM-88s and the flak battery from a distance with AGM-65s. Now here's where the "friendly fire" comes in. Since we're flying in support of ground troops every AtG bomb/missile that misses has to go somewhere. Since we don't know during the mission if it hit friendlies in the area the pilot that missed the target gets a stress point. So hopefully any of my AtG attacks will go where they're supposed to go.

Now my bandit draw was pretty lucky I thought. I only drew 3 bandits out of a possible 8. Hopefully Bison will take care of them for us with his Phoenix missiles. There's a Mig-25 with a range of 4 that can hit any of our planes from its position along with the Mig-29 with a range of three.

Now after placing my bandits comes the next event draw of the night...

"You may move your Aircraft to any Stand-Off Areas"

Well that may have been useful if we were near some bandit heavy concentrations but I think I'll stick with the plan since the two long range Migs could reach our planes no matter where we were on the board.

So I've designated Duke/El Guapo the flight leader for the mission since he has a Situational Awareness point that, as the flight leader, he can give to anyone that may put it to good use. And finally before the combat turns begin we start with our Phoenix launches by Bison!

"All aircraft at angels 10 in bound to target". "We have hostile bandits over the horizion, count is three." "Acquiring targets...and...Fox Three!"

Back at the carrier everyone in the operations center listens in on the exchange. It's now out of their hands and like the sailors of old they sit drinking navy coffee in the role of spectators.

The first missile streaks toward the plane toward the west

With the +1 bonus that Bison has along with the +1 from the event card and an additional +2 listed on the target, Bison needs to roll a 2...and he gets a 7.

The Mig tries to avoid the missile but is hit and goes down

Around the same time two other Migs see the danger and start to try and evade the missiles. The Mig-29 rolls and banks hard avoiding the impact...

Bison rolls a 4, needed a 3

but the missile detonates close enough to destroy one of his wings making the plane spiral out of control.

The last plane desperately weaves and banks, the missile racing toward the engines...

Bison needs a 4, rolls a three

But with a last minute hard bank and dive is able to avoid the missile and starts toward our planes, bent on revenge and survival
Black lives matter!