[MtG] Intro to Magic for Beginners

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Kurth

[MtG] Intro to Magic for Beginners

Post by Kurth »

As a holiday present for my 9 year old, I'm thinking of getting him started with Magic: The Gathering. I used to play, ages ago, but it's been like 10+ years, and I have no idea about the state of the game these days. When I jumped online to figure out what to buy him (and me) to get started, it was a little bewildering.

What would you recommend?

Thanks for the help!!!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
IceBear

Re: [MtG] Intro to Magic for Beginners

Post by IceBear »

Get him the latest Duels of the Planeswalker game on Steam. It's pretty cheap, will teach him how to play, and let him figure out what colors he likes to play. Once he decides he likes it, then you can start buying the physical cards - there are several duel deck packs that contain two decks that are meant to play against each other
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pokemon is a pretty good gateway ccg for the young'uns. Just throwing that out there.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

IceBear wrote:Get him the latest Duels of the Planeswalker game on Steam. It's pretty cheap, will teach him how to play, and let him figure out what colors he likes to play. Once he decides he likes it, then you can start buying the physical cards - there are several duel deck packs that contain two decks that are meant to play against each other
My son who was 7-8 while playing 2011 planeswalker and he enjoyed it.
Debris

Post by Debris »

I assume you want info on Magic the CC, not the online game. I would recommend starting out with the latest core set, which is actually the 2013 Core Set. I would start off with a couple of starter decks as they have everything you need to learn how to play, including the latest rules. You might want to add a couple of booster packs of the same set just to show him how cards can be added to decks.

These days, you should be able to find Magic in Target or Wal-mart if you don't have a local gaming shop you can visit.

BTW, my grandson learned how to play magic at 8 years old. Granted, he wasn't very good, but he caught on quickly and really enjoys the game now. I can still kick the tar out of him, but he surprises me every so often.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I've been thinking of doing this same thing for my two older boys (7 and 11). They are both big Pokemon collectors, but have only tangentially played the actual game. I've mentioned that I ought to teach them how to play Magic (after I learn ... :oops: ) and they've both expressed interest.

I've seen some starter decks at Target that include a 60-card core deck as well as a couple of booster packs for around $15. I assume these would be a decent intro, as long as I don't get the same two decks?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You might look at the Deck Builder's Toolkit as a good starter's kit. $17.05
  • Deck Builders M13 2013 Core Set Toolkit (2012 Edition) 285 Trading Cards
  • 125 semi-randomized cards suitable for building several different Magic decks
  • Four 15-card booster packs from a variety of recent Magic: The Gathering sets
  • 100 basic land cards to help you cast your spells & Magic "learn to play" guide
  • Deck builder's guide with tips about building the best Magic decks
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The starter decks are probably a better idea for beginner's as you start with deck's with a cohesive theme. It looks like the deck builders kit would give you more options out of the box, but the starter decks are set up to play right away.

Additionally I would suggest green (creature) and red (direct damage) decks to start with. They tend to have the most straightforward play. After that, white, then black. Save blue for last as it's generally some level of a control deck and that requires a better understanding of the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was tertiarilly aware of prebuilt starter decks, but wasn't sure enough about if he was referring to those or standard starter boxes.

One of the big attractions for me about what I linked was the 100 land cards included. Having to search for the right lands.

But in this case, I'll modify it and say start with the pre-built, then look at the DBT as a second tier entry if the prebuilts are a hit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I played Magic long ago (when I stared the The Dark was the current expansion) and quit about 10 years ago. I recently started playing a bit and the Deck Builder's kit was a great purchase.

I'm still playing with mostly 10+ year old cards, though. Long live Banding! :ninja:
Last edited by Exodor on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Exodor wrote:I played Magic long ago (I stared the The Dark was the current expansion) and quit about 10 years ago. I recently started playing a bit and the Deck Builder's kit was a great purchase.

I'm still playing with mostly 10+ year old cards, though. Long live Banding! :ninja:
I just got reunited with my collection (Revised through Mirage) and am going through and cataloging it. Looking at the cards versus having played the Duels of the Planeswalkers PC game.... man, the game has changed. I think it was much more straightforward and easy to learn with the older cards.

That said, there is a very large comic / gaming store near me..... :ninja:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kelric wrote:
Exodor wrote:I played Magic long ago (I stared the The Dark was the current expansion) and quit about 10 years ago. I recently started playing a bit and the Deck Builder's kit was a great purchase.

I just got reunited with my collection (Revised through Mirage) and am going through and cataloging it. Looking at the cards versus having played the Duels of the Planeswalkers PC game.... man, the game has changed. I think it was much more straightforward and easy to learn with the older cards.

That said, there is a very large comic / gaming store near me..... :ninja:
Kelric - What store do you recommend? I think you're in Salem, and if so, you're practically in my backyard. I've been looking for a good comic/gaming store nearby.

And thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I think I'll go with a couple per-built decks to start followed up by a DBT.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I am in Salem, as of last week, so just getting my feet wet. Harrison's in the center of town (right by the Bewitched statue) has a downstairs that they use for gaming events. Looks like there is a set night of the week for each type of event; they keep a calendar in their store window (the link on the website doesn't work). They have a small counter in the back of the store to sell their CCG stuff from, too.

I've also discovered that there is a Holiday Gift Box. It'll give him something cool to put cards in, plus four packs of the latest set. Goes for $17-20, it seems.

Any chance you still have your cards? :ninja: