Up Front - Kickstarter

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Up Front - Kickstarter

Post by Smoove_B »

Hilarious. I took this message to mean, "In an effort to keep you all from suing us for failing to deliver a project, please enjoy this message about how we're still trying to make it happen."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trying to browse Kickstarter threads from work gets them caught in the filter under "gambling".
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just when I had resigned myself to loss, this update pops up to tease us with what could have been.

Dammit! Now I really want the game and I feel ripped off at the same time!

Kickstarter, you are confusing my stages of grief!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Was just coming here to post this on the off chance someone else hadn't already. Definitely not holding my breath. :roll:
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I just want my Airborne In Your Pocket game which was collateral damage in all of this. :(
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just played a game of D-Day Dice today and was lamenting that my Line for Life ended well before its time.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In a move that I'm sure is 100% coincidence, a Print and Play version of Up Front was released by Hasbo/WotC yesterday, available at Wargame Vault for $46.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was all set to hit the order button, when I noticed the bit about having to manually cut out 300 chits from cardstock paper.

Even I'M not that masochistic. :cry:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

What a temptation! I'd like to own Up Front. This looks like how I'll get it.

But, man, it will hurt spending more UF money after the KS loss. I guess I can console myself that none of this goes to the scammers.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote:I was all set to hit the order button, when I noticed the bit about having to manually cut out 300 chits from cardstock paper.

Even I'M not that masochistic. :cry:
It looks like the counters only come in two sizes. As long as they are lined up this isn't that difficult.
What thickness is the cardstock?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Now I have the Wargame Vault edition of Up Front. It's a pure facsimile of the original Avalon Hill game, so the graphics are a little dated, but everything there has been sharpened to improve readability. In addition, WV belatedly received permission to alter the original cards by correcting the errata (which AH never did), so this edition is the most correct that Up Front has ever been.

The cards are excellent quality. The counters, however, are printed on what is basically glossy, thick photo paper. They're thinner than most people would like.

Included with the errata are some new types of status-marker cards that basically do the work of some of the counters, so there will be fewer counters on the table than before. Like so:

I'm very happy to finally have this game. I believe I finally grok the rules, and I'm about to start teaching them to my kids.

(Re: that photo. The pic is blurry; the cards aren't.)