PnP RPG props ideas

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

PnP RPG props ideas

Post by Blackhawk »

So, we're finishing up our current Savage Worlds campaign this coming weekend. I'm up to be the next GM, and I'll be running a Necessary Evil campaign (also uses the Savage Worlds rules.)

Enlarge Image

The setting and story are interesting. Short version: Superhero setting with all the heroes dead and the player are super villains. Slightly less short version:
Spoiler:
It is a classic four-color superhero setting. Short version: An alien (Fin) invasion is narrowly averted by a second group of aliens (V'sori) arriving just in time to save the day. The V'sori, having proven themselves trustworthy by saving Earth, meets with the combined forces of all of the Earth's superheros in cities around the country. At this point, they turn on the heroes and wipe them out - all of them. It turns out that the Fins were working for them to begin with, and the whole first invasion was a ruse to draw out and get rid of the only people with the power to protect Earth.

So, now you have an alien occupied Earth, and all of the superheros are dead. Who can fight off the aliens and free the planet? The super villains, of course. You can't really take over the world for yourself with a bunch of aliens running things. That means that the villains are going to have to work together to save the day, which leads to all kinds of fun conflicts.
Savage Worlds has a system called 'bennies.' Each player gets three tokens at the start of each game that can be used to break the rules - tweak a dice roll, heal, you get the idea. We try to suit the actual tokens to the game in order to add flavor. For an old west game we played, the bennies were poker chips. For the post-apocalyptic campaign we're just finishing where bullets are currency, the bennies are bullets. In a science fiction game they might be homeade 'credit chips.'

I have been brainstorming for a couple of weeks, and I have no idea what sort of thing to use for this superhero/super villain setting. I need something small, and either cheap or easily improvised, but setting appropriate. I'll need to come up with at least a dozen of them.

It isn't necessary to be overly elaborate. What small objects say 'super heros/villains' the way a pile of poker chips says 'old west?'

So, I'm sending up the nerd signal. Help a fella out.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Re: PnP RPG props ideas

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Some simple domino masks would be ideal, though I haven't the foggiest idea where you'd go to buy them. But assuming you have a printer, it should be easy enough to use a printable template like this. Or for something smaller, do a Google image search for a mask you like, print however many copies you need on some cardstock, then cut 'em out to be used as tokens. e.g. something like this:

Failing that, these would likely fit the bill, though I imagine they'd likely be too costly.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Henchmen and minions. What's a super villain without a disposable grunt to do dirty work for him? Surely you have a pile of goblins or kobolds you can hand out.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was thinking tiny robots...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Great thoughts. I've actually had an idea last night I've been toying with myself. I've got some (like 200) heavy-duty poker chips, solid ones that probably weigh an ounce or so. Take a bunch, spray paint then white, then print out some classic comic blurbs (POW! WHAP! etc), glue them to the top, then lacquer them.

It would certainly fit, having a player wanting to do extra damage throw a "BAM!" on the table.

Then again, minions are tempting, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)