[Kickstarter] Sergeants Miniatures Game: Red Devils

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

[Kickstarter] Sergeants Miniatures Game: Red Devils

Post by hentzau »

So Lost Battalion Games is doing their next big game release as a Kickstarter. I've been sitting on the fence for a long time with this one, mostly because Tommy has all of Day of Days sets already. But I think this set will get me finally off the fence and pick it up. I really enjoy the game, and yes, it is quite expensive. But the Kickstarter bundles are pushing me to finally invest it in...plus the idea of the larger scenarios that Tom and I could put together with two full sets of this, plus all of his Day of Days stuff is just too much fun.

I am slightly disappointed that they aren't doing really that much to reward their backers, though. I think its a failing of the Kickstarter right now, in that there is really not much of an incentive to jump onboard for new buyers. The owner of the company has somewhat acknowledged this fact, and it looks like they may be working on adding some more enticing stretch goals in the future.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Re: [Kickstarter] Sergeants Miniatures Game: Red Devils

Post by hentzau »

OK, so we're in the final stages of this Kickstarter. About 10 hours left to go. I would highly recommend anyone that is at all interested in this really fun game system to jump on even at the most basic $90 level. They've added quite a few incentives onto even the base level, so it's become a pretty good deal. For a $90 pledge, you'll get:

10 pre-painted miniatures
• 160 coated playing cards
• 12 missions
• 18 tiles for terrain and landmarks
• Rulebook
• Plastic movement/sighting player aids
Extra 8 German and 8 British Equipment cards
• 10 minefield pieces
• 8 extra cards to equip British Combat Engineer
• Gadget Pack (SMG Veterans)
• 5 pieces of map overlay Shell holes
• 8 extra cards to equip German Skirmisher
• 8 pieces of rubble
• Three 5" map tiles, 2 scenarios, 2 Guest Stars with 16 cards each
• Landmark L15A/B, 2x 5" tiles, 16 Story cards, and 4 scenarios
• Dewhurst 892-941 and Schlesinger 621-458 upgraded to decorated veteran
• Three 5" map tiles, 4 scenarios, extra border pieces

(All of the bolded lines are Kickstarter bonuses.)

This is a really good deal if you are at all interested in the game. I'd really encourage you to jump on if you can.

(And if you're going to jump in at $90, go ahead and bump it up another $30 to the $120 level, and you can get a custom British paratrooper sergeant with your name on it!)

[Edited to insert clearer list of items.]
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Tempted but my grasp of tactics usually ends up with some dice catastrophe from taking a chance -- like shooting an ally in the head after realizing how little of a chance our troops had to win a hand-to-hand battle, so why not risk friendly fire? :(
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:Tempted but my grasp of tactics usually ends up with some dice catastrophe from taking a chance -- like shooting an ally in the head after realizing how little of a chance our troops had to win a hand-to-hand battle, so why not risk friendly fire? :(
Unfortunate...this one is a completely card driven mechanic, no dice involved. You would have shined!

They ended up with a great kickstarter...they unlocked every single stretch goal. I ended up actually bailing on the kickstarter since Tommy has everything for this game that they've made so far, and went all in on the kickstarter as well. We discussed it and decided to go ahead and let him continue to fund SMG, and I'll fund everything else. :)

Tommy will have Day of Days at OctoCon if you can break away for a couple of hours to try it out...