Android: Netrunner deck building

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: Android: Netrunner deck building

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:
coopasonic wrote:full spoilers on Humanity's Shadow. sadly the only place that had all the cards in one place didn't have pictures.

http://stimhack.com/humanitys-shadow-ca" target="_blank ... -full-set/
Try here.
Perfect, thanks.
Markstrink wrote:Havin played magic and vampire and war hammer and Warcraft card games, tweak your deck. In the end it may not work. But you won't know till you try. Hell playing magic with bobm was always a challenge. Sometime he instantly destroyed me. Other times it took him forever to destroy me. He was very big on building "mini" decks. Either stuff that was like playable instantly or stuff that made stuff and you just got stuck running out of cards :). But always try and play a dck and tweak it even when it doesn't seem to be going. Sometimes it's a simple removal of one or two cards "you want" and replacing them with some that just advances the deck. I had the sylvannas card for Warcraft and while she was kick butt. Useless in the deck almost everytime.
The problem here is that unlike in the magic days where I could play pretty much any time with my roommates. I am lucky to play A:NR once a week... and when I do play it will be a week or more until I look at my deck again and by then I have forgotten what does and doesn't work.

Once I get the next expansion, I am really going to totally start playing on OCTGN, really... maybe. Perhaps by then Isg will be done moving and he can get set up so I can at least play a game or two with a friendly virtual face before I face the wolves.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I now have TWO wins under my belt and am considering entering the DGM/Madness regionals tournament at the end of the month (if I cna get permission). At the very least, I would more than double the number of games I have played assuming a decent turnout for the tournament.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

I've rebuilt several of my decks since Humanity's Shadow, and swapped out ol' reliable Gabe for:

:wub:

I'm excited to try the new Criminal deck out, I've sort of built it around events: 3 Diesel, 2 Emergency Shutdown, 3 Inside Job, and 3 Deja-Vu to pull those out of the discard pile.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

And more Future Proof cards spoiled!

Article here.

Now that is a nasty subroutine. :shock:

A replacement for Crypsis? :wub:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

SpaceLord wrote: Image

A replacement for Crypsis? :wub:
Makes me want to wipe virus counters. Cheaper ways of doing that are coming.

I like my Andromeda deck. It's stupid how fast it is.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jow

Post by Jow »

Coopa, quick question. Did you need to completely reinstall the entire plugin and/or images after updating to octgn 3.x? I spent a lot of time making my own uncensored versions of the cards I actually own and I'm worried I'll have to do it all over again...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yes, you pretty much have to start over. The good news is the new OCTGN uses a template system so you actually get the card text for everything without any extra effort. The bad news is it's harder to replace the cards with your own copies... I haven't gone through that exercise since I still haven't played a game on OCTGN. :oops:

I think the text is enough for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jow

Post by Jow »

i've done a lot of work with this since i last posted and... you don't have to start entirely over. the dude who designed the octgn app wrote a how-to to import all your customized sets from the old .o8s format to .o8c. it took me a handful of attempts because I think the functionality wasn't there for the older version of OCTGN, but after I updated OCTGN to the latest I was able to do the import with no issues.

I'd be up for playing on OCTGN sometime, though I need to get a couple of decks together.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Future Proof is coming. I wants it!

I'm going to play this thing in both Jinteki and HB:
It's really nasty with Bioroid ice, and Jinteki's 2nd identity.

I've played a lot of Netrunner lately, and I've been building decks like mad. Next step is to download and configure OCTGN. :?
Jow

Post by Jow »

I'm putzing with Ruhr Valley working on a Jinteki RP deck right now actually. I like it but it's pricy and with needing to run a handful of expensive ice plus trying to deal with Jinteki econ woes I'm just not sure about it yet.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

OCTGN may not be a viable platform for very much longer.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jow

Post by Jow »

I read the entire thread and jumped over to the octgn forums to get a better idea of what's going on and... I think it's going to be okay. There's a lot of he said-she said going on, much of it I think legit gripes by db0 but I don't think OCTGN is prepared to let 10-20% of their traffic base go quietly into the night.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

New Creation and Control spoilers!

:wub:

Link here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...still waiting patiently. I've figured out that I am completely useless as a corp player. As a runner I have a shot, but I can't corp.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Hey, I'd be up for some night time play. I was just able to get a Core Set, so I'd like to stick to that if possible. I came around to Netrunner through Infiltration (another game in the same universe).

I will try to start figuring out the OCTG client.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I still have yet to play a game, but I have to say, I really like the mechanics of this game. I may be biased to like it since I'm in Network Security :)

The main selling point for me is the logical consistency to the interactions between the corporation and the runner. For instance, when I see something like the Star Wars LCG, having Darth Vader in a fight with R2-D2...uh, okay. I also enjoy the terminology for the game in terms of the draw pile, discard, pile, and player's hands.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

It's still pretty resource heavy, a lot of decisions come down to whether you have enough bits to break ICE or rez ICE. So, that and the cards make it fall definitively into the CCG/LCG set, but the other mechanics are good enough to be its own standalone board game.

I kinda wish it had some other resource, but there's already so much decision making and tracking in the game it'd be too much.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, the only thing I really don't like is sometimes you still get mana screwed. Mage Wars doesn't have the problem. :wub:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Again, I haven't been able to play a game against a human yet, but I think the Corporation gets a bit screwed at the beginning as they have 3 areas to defend and I usually see only one ICE being able to come out.

I think the company should at least start with one ICE, however, I can see where that could be just as bad for the Runner if they don't get the right ICE Breaker. Seriously, what large corporation would not have a firewall/IPS (ICE) installed, at the very least, for their HQ?

Hey, Coop, I've got OCTGN installed, but I have to figure it out. I have two computers in my office, so I was going to attempt to play against myself if that is even possible before asking if you would like to play.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Buatha wrote:Hey, Coop, I've got OCTGN installed, but I have to figure it out. I have two computers in my office, so I was going to attempt to play against myself if that is even possible before asking if you would like to play.
I managed to play against myself on one machine but I don't remember the details of how I managed to pull it off. I think I finally deleted the app because I never had the guts to use it. Come to OctoCon next month or BGGCon the month after and I will play you a game or two. For whatever reason I found the OCTGN interface too intimidating.

Google says BGGCon is only 4 hours away from Missouri City. Should be about the same for DGM. I make a few of those a year as well. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Oh, man, I don't know about attending a con. I'm like those dudes that ride Harleys...but are really accountants. I'd be happy just to play the game at all...attending a con just to get to learn how to play...I don't know. Do they have tables/rooms just for noobs like me?

I watched a OCTGN tutorial, and it didn't look too bad, other than the targetting aspects. I'll give it a whirl, and if I can figure it out, I'm sure I could walk you through it. If I get comfortable with it, I'll send you a PM so you won't have to check this thread :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Buatha wrote:Oh, man, I don't know about attending a con. I'm like those dudes that ride Harleys...but are really accountants. I'd be happy just to play the game at all...attending a con just to get to learn how to play...I don't know. Do they have tables/rooms just for noobs like me?
The main room has hundreds of n00bs. Between SpaceLord and Isgrimnur and a few random people I didn't know beforehand I probably played 15 games for the first time last year. One of them was Android: Netrunner! It wouldn't be just to learn how to play A:NR. It would be to play lots of games you never knew you wanted to play. A:NR would just be one of them. SpaceLord and Isgrimnur are both good guys. I'm kind of an ass, but they make up for it. Seriously, if you have the means it is a lot of fun. DGM is much smaller, but happens every month and is much cheaper. SpaceLord doesn't make it to those for some reason (probably living a few states away... weak excuse if you ask me). Spend 4 hours driving up, game for 12 hours or so, then drive home. Don't even need a hotel!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hey, DGM is a Friday night through Sunday afternoon thing. It's not just the 12 hours on Saturdays.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:Hey, DGM is a Friday night through Sunday afternoon thing. It's not just the 12 hours on Saturdays.
Sure, sure they say it exists on Friday and Sunday as well, but really who can know?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've seen the Friday night. I can only speculate about Sundays.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Opening Moves comes out this week.

:wub: :horse: So. Good.
Jow

Post by Jow »

1 influence for that too... runner players groan in dismay.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

So, I finally downloaded and set up Octgn. It was a lot easier than the nightmare's I've heard regarding setup, maybe it's improved.

If anyone wants to play, let me know. :ninja:
Jow

Post by Jow »

what set are they up to re: uncensored cards? Trying to download scans and replace the censored versions with the real has been the biggest barrier to me wanting to play this...

edit: answered my own question, up to humanity's shadow now. i might see if i can drum up images for the following 3 sets.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Arise, only Netrunner-specific thread on OO!

I don't play Netrunner, but I really, really enjoyed this piece by Quintin Smith and Leigh Alexander about their experience at the U.K. national championships. I suspect some of you would enjoy it too.