Android: Netrunner deck building

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Android: Netrunner deck building

Post by coopasonic »

I swear in MtG putting together a deck was cake. It might not be a great deck, but the gameplay is fairly straightforward and a functional deck is not difficult to assemble. I am trying to build a set of decks to grind Isgrimur into the dirt. I started with the corp deck more or less at random. Have read through all the base set cards twice and the instructions twice and I can't even pick a corp!

I guess I could just play with a starter deck but that's lame! I'm just ranting. Thanks for listening. ;)
Last edited by coopasonic on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Papa Smurph

Re: Andriod: Netrunner deck building

Post by Papa Smurph »

Are you saying you haven't yet played the game? Don't try deckbuilding until after 10-15 plays would be my advise. Hell, I've played 15+ games and I don't yet feel comfortable enough with the strategy for deckbuilding yet.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

What? You are saying one play as one runner faction with a starter deck isn't enough experience to deckbuild with the base set and two expansions?!? OK, you might be right. That's not going to stop me though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Played a game as Weyland against a noob that came down to one turn on timing. Watching a second game.

They're actually doing a Tourney up here today. Counting my set, there are five sets within 20 feet of me and at least two more in the next room over.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I've tried to get into this game but haven't even introduced anyone to it yet. So far, the game fails my "let me read the rules and play against myself to figure it out" test pretty hard.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've had this one since early December and haven't even broken it out of the shrink wrap yet.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's really worth the time, but benefits from being taught rather than read.
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

I found this video helpful for making the rules make sense. After watching the video, I read the rules and my wife and I were able to start playing. So, it's hard to learn but not the hardest game I own (by far).
Jow

Post by Jow »

working on a jinteki deck that started out using the core game identity as a sort of "gank" deck, but now has morphed into one using the second identity (available in What Lies Ahead). Even with a couple of expansions the card pool is still pretty narrow - looking forward to seeing the rest of the cycle.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Jow wrote:working on a jinteki deck that started out using the core game identity as a sort of "gank" deck, but now has morphed into one using the second identity (available in What Lies Ahead). Even with a couple of expansions the card pool is still pretty narrow - looking forward to seeing the rest of the cycle.
Some previews from Future-Proof:

Woo! This card is potentially a great fit for a Jinteki deck with the new identity. The biggest problem, of course, is tagging the runner beforehand.

:wub:
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

More ways to flatline are always appreciated. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jow

Post by Jow »

saw those on BGG this morning - I love new toys. My problem with tags though is that any smart runner will avoid running on their last click of the turn, always giving them a chance to use that last click to ditch a tag. I think Snares are the only cards in my current Jinteki deck that even drop tags in the first place, but there are a lot of cards in-between now and that release...
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Two of the most talked-about cards from Cyber Exodus, due next week:

This one might make Chum/Cell Portal a bit easier to play.

This is the power card in the set. Crazy. :shock:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nice.
Jow

Post by Jow »

I see a lot more diligent efforts to protect HQ in the future.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gabriel Santiago is all about runs on the HQ already. Of course, he has a card, Sneakdoor Beta, that allows runs on the archives to be treated like runs on HQ as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rabbit Hole:

What do I do if I end up with both in my hand before I install the first one? Can I then install the second one from my hand?

And then, since it's not a "May" action, if I install only one regardless, do I have to shuffle my deck regardless of any actions taken?
Jow

Post by Jow »

The card refers to your stack, not your grip, so you couldn't install the second one from your hand.

Reread the card - it IS a may action. Typically deck shuffling in these kinds of games only happens when you've gone in there to pull something out, so I think it's safe to say you'd only shuffle if pull a rabbit (hole) out of your hat.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The "Shuffle your deck" is a distinct statement separate from the "You may" action.

I know how it tracks logically, I'm just saying that it doesn't parse that way syntactically.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

(typo in subject line irks me)
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Jow

Post by Jow »

Thread 1 for the multiple copies:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10060081#10060081" target="_blank

I can't find anything on the A:N BGG forums about the shuffling aspect of Rabbit Hole . I agree that's another way to read it but think about it from a gameplay perspective too: what purpose would blindly shuffling your deck after playing a single card serve?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm not familiar with the expansions, but if there is or will be a runner card like Precognition, it could have an impact.
Jow

Post by Jow »

that's a good point - might be worth posting to BGG.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I posted it at the FFG board in an existing Rabbit Hole thread.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

silverjon wrote:(typo in subject line irks me)
I hope you are now less irked.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

coopasonic wrote:
silverjon wrote:(typo in subject line irks me)
I hope you are now less irked.
hugz
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
SpaceLord

Re: Android: Netrunner deck building

Post by SpaceLord »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I still love Netrunner and am learning more and more about the interplay of the cards, but do I love it this much?

It's a dumb amount of money for a visual upgrade, but I wants it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jow

Post by Jow »

i have not been playing this lately other than a couple of supre newbie games on OCTGN a couple of weeks ago. Word has it as of Study in Static that the Corps have it pretty rough right now. This guy does a great job of describing why...

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17897 ... ber-exodus" target="_blank
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have OCTGN set up (including going through the pain of swapping out card images), but haven't played any games on it. I'm scared of the interface.

As to the balance of power. It's going to swing back and forth. I doubt any of us are good enough that it's going to matter to us.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jow

Post by Jow »

The interface is actually very manageable once you know the general sequence of things. I've played a handful of games and the module is very well-designed. I've also been swapping images, but I've downloaded a couple of tools which have made it mostly painless. I pulled the images from cardgamedb, though, and they're smaller than the censored images the packs ship with. Looking forward to when the uncensored versions of these things finally hit the airwaves.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played a game against myself on OCTGN just to get a feel for the interface, so I think I am ready to play someone else... but I am scared... and my play (and/or deckbuilding) is weak. Also, it makes me wish FFG would build a dedicated PC game for us.

For the unaware:
http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewto ... f=52&t=494" target="_blank

Isgrimnur, you need to check it out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'll make a mental note to make an attempt, but I'm moving house, so it might be a while before I get to it.

Stealing from the Netrunner reddit, I bring you future expansion card spoilers posted to RPGGeek.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Isgrimnur wrote:Stealing from the Netrunner reddit, I bring you future expansion card spoilers posted to BGG.
You needs to fix your link...
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Done.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks!
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

full spoilers on Humanity's Shadow. sadly the only place that had all the cards in one place didn't have pictures.

http://stimhack.com/humanitys-shadow-ca ... -full-set/" target="_blank

Some interesting tricks going on there, plus a runner identitity that gets a 9 card starting hand! That seems... unfair.

I have gotten much better at deck building, but not really any better at playing. I am still winless. I really need to get brave and start playing on OCTGN to get more experience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Papa Smurph wrote:Are you saying you haven't yet played the game? Don't try deckbuilding until after 10-15 plays would be my advise. Hell, I've played 15+ games and I don't yet feel comfortable enough with the strategy for deckbuilding yet.
Just looking back through the thread, I don't think I have 15 games under my belt yet and I have never played the same deck more than twice. :doh:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote:full spoilers on Humanity's Shadow. sadly the only place that had all the cards in one place didn't have pictures.

http://stimhack.com/humanitys-shadow-ca" target="_blank ... -full-set/
Try here.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

Havin played magic and vampire and war hammer and Warcraft card games, tweak your deck. In the end it may not work. But you won't know till you try. Hell playing magic with bobm was always a challenge. Sometime he instantly destroyed me. Other times it took him forever to destroy me. He was very big on building "mini" decks. Either stuff that was like playable instantly or stuff that made stuff and you just got stuck running out of cards :). But always try and play a dck and tweak it even when it doesn't seem to be going. Sometimes it's a simple removal of one or two cards "you want" and replacing them with some that just advances the deck. I had the sylvannas card for Warcraft and while she was kick butt. Useless in the deck almost everytime.