[Dungeons & Dragons] Classics re-released as PDFs

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

NickAragua

[Dungeons & Dragons] Classics re-released as PDFs

Post by NickAragua »

Linky

Now, scans of these things have been available on torrent sites for a long time now, but I guess it's nice to see the D&D guys catch up to the modern world. Granted, PDFs aren't terribly useful for in-person gaming (tablets not withstanding) and, honestly, I'm not very good at running "canned" adventures, but I'm sure a great number of people will appreciate these.

And hell, maybe I'll pick up some Dark Sun modules and see what I can wrangle out of them.
Black Lives Matter
Mandeville

Re: [Dungeons & Dragons] Classics re-released as PDFs

Post by Mandeville »

That's a great idea. I own a ton of basic D&D material and run a 4E Mystara game using the old modules and gazetteers. I was thinking about picking up the 4E Dark Sun book but I didn't know if I would have enough ideas to run a game in that world...maybe this is my answer.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

They definitely don't have everything yet (none of the redonk S series like Barrier Peaks and Tomb of Horrors) but they say it's on the way. They also don't have the original best Deities and Demigods with Cthulhu and pals. I'm pissed about that, at one time I did own the Best Korea version and then some of my DnD books vanished (it wasn't my parents, they were cool, I really have no explanation for why they disappeared) and I had to buy a bunch of them again. That's when I discovered that 20 pages of Deities was missing! :shock: :evil:

They DO have the Giants series (all of them, all the way to Lolth's lair), so that's pretty cool. That one is even a bundle package.

I hope the scans are good, I may get some and reprint them just for nostalgia's sake.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am scared to think of how much of that stuff I already own, sitting in my D&D storage closet. :oops: Still, it's pretty amazing that people will now be able to get it all again. I do enjoy sometimes thumbing through the old stuff. It's strange, there are some adventures where as soon as I see the map, I can instantly remember everything that happened. But I do have piles and piles of modules (and a stack of Dungeon Magazine) that were never used, only read. I was a weird kid. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

killbot737 wrote:They definitely don't have everything yet (none of the redonk S series like Barrier Peaks and Tomb of Horrors) but they say it's on the way. They also don't have the original best Deities and Demigods with Cthulhu and pals. I'm pissed about that, at one time I did own the Best Korea version and then some of my DnD books vanished (it wasn't my parents, they were cool, I really have no explanation for why they disappeared) and I had to buy a bunch of them again. That's when I discovered that 20 pages of Deities was missing! :shock: :evil:

They DO have the Giants series (all of them, all the way to Lolth's lair), so that's pretty cool. That one is even a bundle package.

I hope the scans are good, I may get some and reprint them just for nostalgia's sake.
Yeah, don't expect to see that version of Deities and Demigods. I had that copy too, with Cthulhu and the Melnibone stuff in it. Loved that book, mine pretty well fell apart from reading.

I grabbed the free adventure "Into the Unknown" for nostalgia's sake. That was our first exposure to D&D, with me DM'ing and my buddies playing. We played that one module for months, with them clearing areas and me re-stocking them so they could go back in and beat up on stuff. Good times, good times.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have several shelves worth of 'classic' material. I don't actually use it much, as RPG design has come a long way in the last 30 years, but I wouldn't toss it for anything. Too many memories.

During the decades during which they were all out of print, and I had access to that inter-net deal, I amassed a collection of pretty much every unavailable product that I didn't already have in paper and ink form.

Now that they're for sale again, I'm feeling guilty about that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Blackhawk wrote:Now that they're for sale again, I'm feeling guilty about that.
I would put that guilt into the same bucket I put old DOS games. If it's available on GOG? Good, I'll pay for it - again. Otherwise...
There is no hug button. Sad!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

killbot737 wrote: That's when I discovered that 20 pages of Deities was missing! :shock: :evil:

Somebody swapped out my Cthulhu version for the lame version, and I didn't notice 'til a long time had past. I'm not sure who did it but I have my suspicions. Nothing I can do about it other than travel back in time 20+ years to fix it.

*Sad panda face*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's all Tom Hanks' fault.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
theohall

Post by theohall »

I used to own lots of of these, but my brother sold them when I was deployed - the asshat. Re-acquiring them and putting them into one of the NWN formats would probably be fun, but most of them have been done already. I just question the accuracy of those who built the existing NWN mods - which makes me want to do it myself. Won't happen any time soon, though.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I think I have three of the original Deities and Demigods with Cthulhu and Elric up on my closet. I bought one, then bought another when I thought my first one was lost, then had a roommate move out in college and he told me he didn't want his D&D books anymore.

I should sell at least one. I see they are going for $50ish on Ebay.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

A high school friend's dad used to work at TSR and had a treasure trove in his closet of first edition D&D, Gamma World and so on. Except for the Gamma World, it was useless junk to my friend because he liked Car Wars instead.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

gbasden wrote:I think I have three of the original Deities and Demigods with Cthulhu and Elric up on my closet. I bought one, then bought another when I thought my first one was lost, then had a roommate move out in college and he told me he didn't want his D&D books anymore.

I should sell at least one. I see they are going for $50ish on Ebay.
I'd pay 50 bucks to get mine back. Nostalgia is a positive thing. I can remember curling up on the couch and reading that book word for word. Then doing it again. I mean it is literally a block of my memory that is clear as day. It was my first AD&D purchase. Shows you how much I knew about the gaming system back then.