2013 turn-based RPG goodness

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Dave Allen

2013 turn-based RPG goodness

Post by Dave Allen »

I love turn-based rpgs.This year promises to be a banner year.

Mistborn: Birthright
With fantasy author Brian Sanderson, I'm hoping for the spiritual successor to Betrayal at Krondor.

Age of Decadence
The most intriguing to me

Wasteland 2
I only waited a quarter of a century for this one.

Divinity: Original Sin
You-distract-him-while-I-rob-him-blind multiplayer?

Shadowrun Returns
Cyberfantasy - yes!
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
TiLT

Re: 2013 turn-based RPG goodness

Post by TiLT »

A few others that had their start in Kickstarter:

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption
Made by the people behind Quest for Glory, with the same principles in mind.

Expeditions: Conquistador
Play Spanish Conquistadors in 1520's South America!

Dead State
This is one I'm really looking forward to. Build your base. Find survivors. Talk to people. Make everyone cooperate despite their issues. Scavenge ruined society for resources. It's like X-Com with more RPG bits and zombies.

Legends of Eisenwald
May remind you of Heroes of Might and Magic, but is much more focused on the hero than on managing a kingdom.

The Banner Saga
Play almost-vikings traveling across a semi-fantasy realm in search of a new home.

This is indeed the year of the turn-based RPG. I couldn't be happier about it. :) Now if only the majority of these are good games...
Insert witty comment here.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I thought Banner Saga was more a tile based ... strategic fighter, a la the encounter/combat boards in older HOMM's?

Was not aware there was anything else to it? Or maybe it has RPG lite elements perhaps? I really have not been following that one, and it's probably on my list of top 3 most excited about Kickstarters.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I thought Banner Saga was more a tile based ... strategic fighter, a la the encounter/combat boards in older HOMM's?

Was not aware there was anything else to it? Or maybe it has RPG lite elements perhaps? I really have not been following that one, and it's probably on my list of top 3 most excited about Kickstarters.
It's an RPG with strategy elements. You may be talking about the multiplayer version of the game, which is much more of a pure strategy/tactical game with pre-made units, whereas the full game has you developing your characters and doing actual roleplaying with them.
Insert witty comment here.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I wasn't aware that the Mistborn game was coming out this year OR that it was an RPG. I assumed it would be some sort of action game when I first heard about it. Definitely interested in it now.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am getting more excited about wasteland 2. That is hopefully going to be an awesome game.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Definitely in for Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns.

EDIT: And Legends of Eisenwald after watching the videos.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Zurai wrote:I wasn't aware that the Mistborn game was coming out this year OR that it was an RPG. I assumed it would be some sort of action game when I first heard about it. Definitely interested in it now.
Looking forward to flinging pennies at people!

Here is Sanderson's take on it.