[boardgame] Firefly the Game

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: [boardgame] Firefly the Game

Post by hentzau »

Still waiting for word from my FLGS that they have it in stock for me. They're usually really good about letting me know...hope they didn't forget!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hentzau, none that I saw yesterday as I picked up Little Prince for the kids.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MonkeyFinger wrote:So... is the game worth picking up? Being a huge Firefly fan I'm interested in it but I seem to recall early hands-on impressions being... less than stellar. :|

Oh, and I just had to go look up who in the heck "FLGS" was to see if there was one near me... d'oh. Got it. LOL!
Hmmm...I've not seen a bad review yet for the game. Since GF9 sold every copy of the game that they brought in daily to gencon within minutes of the exhibitor hall opening, I'd say that it was pretty popular. With the numerous sold out demos they ran at the convention, it's not like people were buying it blind, either.

It's a fun trading game that relies on a strong theme to make up for some lighter mechanics. But when I say lighter mechanics, I don't mean bad.

So, if you're a heavy euro player who needs a lot of rules layered onto your trading games in order to have fun with a game, you probably won't enjoy it.

As for me, I like the game itself a lot. And the theme simply makes me love it all the more.
He won. Period.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I do think it's a game that - unless your group will go out of their way to interact with each other - doesn't really improve with more players. A lot of the complaints coming out of Gencon were related to game length. Folks were doing full 4 player games (or 5 player with the expansion) that were lasting 3 or 4 hours, probably because they were learning at the same time. The game is just as good with only 2 or 3 players, and will be shorter with less downtime.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't forget that the game is an oddity in its genre as it's scenario based. I'm betting we'll see some scenarios that directly address the game length....if they aren't already included in the game/available on GF9's site.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Picked up my copy and the bonus promo cards today. Going to give it a solo run tonight to learn the rules.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you get the fifth ship, the Artful Dodger?
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I did. Picked up a couple at GenCon.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I did. Picked up a couple at GenCon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you get two of the actual ships? I didn't find out about the promos until the resin ship model was gone. I did get the card for it though.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Did you get two of the actual ships? I didn't find out about the promos until the resin ship model was gone. I did get the card for it though.
I did. But I promised it to Steve and Kristie already. Sorry, man.

I'll check with them and make sure that he's still interested in the game, if he isn't it's yours.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There are always alternative ship miniatures.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I was looking at some similar models.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Got it on the table late last night to play through a couple of game turns to learn the rules. Pretty straightforward, nothing too tricky that I can see, but I really need to play with a couple of folks to get a good feel for it.
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

In vaguely related news:
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/10/firefly-season-2" target="_blank
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If it's not Joss Whedon writing it, it's just fan fiction to me. :wink:
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Stopped by my FLGS on the way home and snagged a copy. They threw in some 'Hero Cards' as well. 8-)
-mf
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Online reseller by me has it for $35. If anyone is interested.

TimeWellSpentGames.com

I'm debating it. But I just dropped $150 on new games. I should probably play them before buying more.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, I just committed. Applied primer to my ships. God help me now.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

OK, base ships are mostly painted. Need to do detail work and maybe a wash.

Having trouble coming up with a good base color for the Dortmunder though...I think I'll go with dark gray. The pictures I've found online don't help much.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Dark Grey, but it would be awesome if you can pull off that green glow.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:Dark Grey, but it would be awesome if you can pull off that green glow.
Yeah, well, don't count too highly on that. The minis aren't that detailed, and my skilz have deteriorated.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm counting the green glow as mostly a failure. I'm going to go back and paint over it and try again.

Ships are pretty will finished, got the engines done and found a better color to differentiate the green and aqua ships. I'm thinking about going back to the Serenity though and take off the orange detailing I did, and just leave that one closer to the actual Serenity. I'll see what I feel like doing tonight. It just doesn't seem right to paint Serenity with orange detailing.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Don't look to shabby once I got them on the board...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's some impressive work.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hey, where the heck were those card caddies when we were playing? Those would have been handy. So many decks in this game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:Hey, where the heck were those card caddies when we were playing? Those would have been handy. So many decks in this game.
Yeah, meant to bring them. Just got left in the confusion of getting everything else there.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Hey, where the heck were those card caddies when we were playing? Those would have been handy. So many decks in this game.
Yeah, meant to bring them. Just got left in the confusion of getting everything else there.
Did you build them yourself or were they store bought?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He plays a banjo, what'ya think?
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Remus West wrote:
hentzau wrote:
Did you build them yourself or were they store bought?
Store bought. Card sorting tray from BCW.