[boardgame] Firefly the Game

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

[boardgame] Firefly the Game

Post by hepcat »

I give you what may be the greatest event of 2013.

It's from Gale Force Nine who made the absolutely fantastic Spartacus. They do tv tie in games right, if Spartacus is any indication. First you get great game mechanics in place THEN apply the theme.

I look forward to exploring the 'verse. :D

Covfefe!
AWS260

Re: [boardgame] Firefly the Game

Post by AWS260 »

I'm waiting for Grave of the Fireflies the Game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember when you got Auschwitz: The Deck Builder. Was that any good?
Covfefe!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I wonder how a Josh Whedon kickstarter to renew firefly would do...? I mean, logistically many of those actors are entirely involved in other good work.

Oh well, at least a board game is coming.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Gavin wrote:I wonder how a Josh Whedon kickstarter to renew firefly would do...? I mean, logistically many of those actors are entirely involved in other good work.
Getting a feature film made was the Firefly kickstarter, essentially. They just took fan promises to see the movie and tell their friends about it as a backing goal.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I just wish I could see an awesome themed board game made from source material that the rest of my gaming group is actually familiar with. I think BSG is the only one, and maybe half our group had actually seen the show. Spartacus? Just me. Game of Thrones? Just me. Firefly? Likely just me again.

I apparently need some geekier friends.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, you need COOLER friends. :wink:
Covfefe!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

hepcat wrote:No, you need COOLER friends. :wink:
Hah, modern trending has geek culture becoming cool.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I just give or loan copies of Firefly to everyone I meet that hasn't seen it. Problem shortly solved.

edit: Also, Hep, if I make it down there for Octocon and you do not have this to play I may very well sell you to some shady boys town wig maker and Chaosraven's feelings be damned.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks like a win/win for me as it's probably not going to be out by then!
Covfefe!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

In.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:Looks like a win/win for me as it's probably not going to be out by then!
But look at that picture..All the pieces are there... Why is this not out yet???

:)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RMC wrote:
hepcat wrote:Looks like a win/win for me as it's probably not going to be out by then!
But look at that picture..All the pieces are there... Why is this not out yet???

Don't worry, we'll have it on the table at my folk's place during the holidays this year. Clear your schedule for another night of gaming.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:
RMC wrote:

Don't worry, we'll have it on the table at my folk's place during the holidays this year. Clear your schedule for another night of gaming.
I will be there. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RMC wrote:
hepcat wrote:
RMC wrote:

I will be there. :)
Hepcat, I wouldn't be concerned that RMC was already planning on being at your parents house that day.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RMC's okay in spite of all the police reports. He's a fellow Ohioan and is now a part of the holiday gaming crew that gather's at my folk's place over Christmas. We had a blast playing until 1 in the morning last December. Even if I lost all the damn games...
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

But you had the best hair of everyone there. :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:RMC's okay in spite of all the police reports. He's a fellow Ohioan and is now a part of the holiday gaming crew that gather's at my folk's place over Christmas. We had a blast playing until 1 in the morning last December. Even if I lost all the damn games...
So I shouldn't be concerned about the time he showed up at my parents' house?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He and your parents were just doing whip its and listening to Foghat in the driveway while you were out, that's all.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:He and your parents were just doing whip its and listening to Foghat in the driveway while you were out, that's all.
What's a whip it? And who is Foghat?

I am at work, and not sure I want to Google those here... :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

yeah...nice "save" there.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

I got home from that gaming trip at like 3am or around there. And my kids and dog were sleeping on my bed, so I had to sleep on the couch.

I asked my wife if that was a hint about gaming for that long, and she actually said that with me gone, the girls had all been a pain to put to bed, so she just had them sleep in our bed. And didn't think about me having to sleep on the couch.

But she told me I can play this year already, so I have a get out of holiday stuff pass for one day, :)

So back to listening to Foghat and doing wipe its. :doh:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

WHIP its, damnit...WHIP!

wipe its are something you don't wanna do in public.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:WHIP its, damnit...WHIP!

It's almost as if people are the problem.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Isgrimnur wrote:

Denis Leary explains the whip-it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aMs#t=302s" target="_blank

(It's Denis Leary. He's sweary.)
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote:

I wondered when you were going to show up. You're a man who loves his whip its. I've seen you drain a complete frozen foods aisle at a Safeway on a friday night.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have to in order to flush the image from my mind of you rolling around in the floor freezers, shouting, "Touch my burrito! Touch my BURRRRRRRRR-EEEEEEEEEEE-TOOOOOOOOOO!"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That would've ceased much quicker had you actually followed my instructions...
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:lol:
RMC

Post by RMC »

:coffee:

<sigh>
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Man has no shame. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Should I have said Enchilada?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think enchirito would have been a winner. As long as you stayed away from Hungry Man.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I came back to this thread to check on news of the game. I now have a mental image of Hep and Isg in the freezer doing all sorts of wrong things. You two are paying for my therapy bills, damn it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Word on the street is that this is showing up in stores as of yesterday. I played it at Gencon a few months ago and absolutely loved it.

Now, I have to decide if I wait for Amazon to tell me yet another boardgame preorder is going to ship out 7 months after it's been in stores, or just cancel and pick the thing up at my FLGS.

Ah well, I'll have it at the next Octocon no matter what.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I told Cat and Mouse to hold a copy for me when it gets in, so I'll have a copy as well.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, picked up a copy on my way home from work. Cancelled my amazon order just now. Who knows WHEN they'd ship it out.

I opened the catalog they include with the game a few minutes ago and was incredibly surprised to see that the next tv license they're taking on for a game is the FX series, Sons of Anarchy. That I would never have predicted.

p.s. just like spartacus, you get quite a bit of game for less than most boardgames these days. 45 bucks gets you a box stuffed with goodies.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:Okay, picked up a copy on my way home from work. Cancelled my amazon order just now. Who knows WHEN they'd ship it out.

I opened the catalog they include with the game a few minutes ago and was incredibly surprised to see that the next tv license they're taking on for a game is the FX series, Sons of Anarchy. That I would never have predicted.

p.s. just like spartacus, you get quite a bit of game for less than most boardgames these days. 45 bucks gets you a box stuffed with goodies.
I concur with this. My friend picked this up at GenCon, so we have had it here for the last few weeks. Still have not played it as he brought back the privateer press game, and the pathfinder card game. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The pricing for this game seems really inconsistent. I got it for 44.95 at my FLGS, the maker has it for 49.99, and Amazon is listing it at 59.99. :?
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... is the game worth picking up? Being a huge Firefly fan I'm interested in it but I seem to recall early hands-on impressions being... less than stellar. :|

Oh, and I just had to go look up who in the heck "FLGS" was to see if there was one near me... d'oh. Got it. LOL!
-mf