Zombicide Season 3 Kickstarter is up

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Can I add a poll after the fact?

Yes
40%
No
No votes
Shut up!
20%
What?
40%

Total votes: 10

Zarathud

Re: Zombicide Season 2 Kickstarter is up

Post by Zarathud »

I am torn between getting the Fuzzboxes and calling Battlefoam to check about getting in-box trays with just the 1x1 miniature cutouts. I already have the original Battlefoam in-box tray, and it was a really nice solution for Season 1. In theory, I could fit the zombies into 4 trays in the 2 big boxes, and put the survivors into the 5th tray in a small box, with the boards and cards on top or in a separate box.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I noticed today that GG has announced a compilation of currently offered scenarios online in one book, as well as a new campaign. I will probably pick this up when it comes out. I like having a ncie copy of the scenarios. PDFs work great, but a printed copy of more scenarios is even better.

Linkage
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finally got my second shipment. I now have 42 survivors to choose from. That may be too many.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

coopasonic wrote:Finally got my second shipment. I now have 42 survivors to choose from. That may be too many.
Yeah I'm feeling the same way. I just counted and I am in the 40s too... way too many. Now when people play they simply look at the pictures and pick rather than looking at the powers. I don't blame them, I've simply bought too many survivors ha. And of course I will back season 3 and end up with even more.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Guillotine Games has been brilliant in coming up with iconic movie heroes you'd want to see in a zombie film. I am feeling pretty good about resisting the bonus boxes of heroes.

Definitely in for the book, and will probably lack the willpower to resist Season 3.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zombicide storage solution! :D

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Is that yours? I love it. Mine is currently in the two base boxes but that is awesome.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Someone on the geek put it together. It's really just a huge toolbox with some stickers on it. I just ordered the toolbox today.

I have the two base boxes and 5 fuzz boxes full of minis. It's not practical for play.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

BTW not sure if anyone saw this:

Not sure where the image is even from but I saw it on BGG.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Probably something Guillotine teased on facebook.

PvP is coming.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

coopasonic wrote:Probably something Guillotine teased on facebook.

PvP is coming.
Yup. Not actually sure how I feel about it. On the one hand what I love about Zombicide is it is co-op. Well one of the many things. On the other hand it needs something fresh if they are going to do another KS campaign. PVP sounds like it could be really good, especially since nobody will be in control of the zombies. I'm cautiously optimistic.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Zpocalypse handles PvP in this genre very well. There can be only one winner, and PvP is allowed by default, but you're forced to cooperate to survive. You just never know who to trust.
Insert witty comment here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:Zombicide storage solution! :D

I guess my link wasn't properly enclosed...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15705362#15705362

This is the toolbox:
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DWST08225- ... B00D8P17EC

It's a $70 toolbox, but it has room for everything that is currently out for the game in a convenient two drawer bundle. The only thing I don't have in there is my survivors. I like them better spread out in the fuzz box. It comes with 8 small storage bins (6 little ones and 2 double sized) that let you split up the various zombie types fairly well.

This will probably increase the odds of me playing more since it is more portable now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: Zombicide Season 3 Kickstarter is up

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:Edit: and now season 3 is up:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/co ... e-season-3
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Edit: and now season 3 is up:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/co ... e-season-3
I missed Season 2, but this one looks quite nice. Like I need to be tempted by more KS projects.

The saddest part is, I've not gotten to play Zombicide core yet, but I still look at these minis and think, "wow, so much fun to paint."
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Not going to touch this Kickstarter. I still haven't fully unpacked season 2.
Insert witty comment here.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I will probably bite for the additional tiles, but will not go in for any add-ons. Unless they come out with something as insanely awesome as another Mustache Pack. Smaller teams might be an interesting way to change up the gameplay.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ok, finally in for Patient Zero, Benny and Oksana. The exclusive VIP Zombie Elvis was too much to resist.

I'm a sucker for their parody heroes, but the Special Guest Boxes just don't do it for me. Peach and Kevin by Miguel Coimbra have been the only tempting ones.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zarathud wrote: I'm a sucker for their parody heroes, but the Special Guest Boxes just don't do it for me.
What do you have against breasts?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:
Zarathud wrote: I'm a sucker for their parody heroes, but the Special Guest Boxes just don't do it for me.
What do you have against breasts?
I already feel super creepy painting the thongs of dead zombie women from Season 1, I can't imagine what those guest pack figs will be like. Although I do like the Karl Kopinski and Adrian Smith guys.

I'll be passing on this one though. I ended up getting season 1 for far cheaper at retail and have yet to play it. I'm all KS'ed out!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife taunted me while I was painting the lady Zombies, saying that if I was painting those undergarments the women should have sheer pantyhose and garters. I painted what I felt like -- they're just Zombies.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:My wife taunted me while I was painting the lady Zombies, saying that if I was painting those undergarments the women should have sheer pantyhose and garters. I painted what I felt like -- they're just Zombies.
Tell her if she can figure out how to paint sheer pantyhose, then she can taunt you all she wants!

My wife was also taunting me yesterday. I told her that, if she thought those were bad, she should see the expansion minis. That wasn't enough for her to let me KS this season, however! :D
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I showed my wife the coolminiornot Game of Thrones minis -- so she knows it IS possible to paint lace on Cercei Lannister. I don't have the skill, patience or time, which was her point. Maybe I could do fishnets by a paint pen.

My kids just giggle at the underpants and demand more Cinderella Blue and Aurora Pink zombies. But I haven't painted the Abominations (and scarier) figures yet.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Let's just say I was tempted by Zombicide Season 3. If I were going to add-on an optional buy, would it be better to get Prison Break or Toxic Mall from Season 2? The new stuff in the Angry Neighbors expansion seems a tad "meh."

It is either this or going "all in" for the Mercs Recon Pledge Manager. But, I'll admit, I'm reticent to put more money towards Mercs, given my disappointment with Myth.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think Chrisoc has played the new set. I haven't been able to get a group together to play yet due to scheduling.

Personally, I would say the Mall because of the Ultrared and barricade rules, but I think those are in the newest set.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:I think Chrisoc has played the new set. I haven't been able to get a group together to play yet due to scheduling.

Personally, I would say the Mall because of the Ultrared and barricade rules, but I think those are in the newest set.
Yeah, and I think the mall comes with the Season 1 Zombivors and the Prison does not.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I would say Toxic City Mall. I've played both of the new sets a lot (probably 30+ times in the last year) and I think the mall has more to offer if you are only going to get one between the two of them. As has already been noted it also includes the zombivors from season 1, and the ultra red mode both of which are fun variants that I like to play with. The barricades are mission specific so not that great honestly.

The downside to the mall is that the missions in the mall either include Season 1 or season 2, so without prison outbreak you won't be able to play roughly 1/2 of the missions in toxic city mall.

But if I were to choose between those two I like the mall better. The tiles are better, it doesn't have as many weird rules (like the security doors etc in season 2) the theme flows a little better, it completes a lot of season 1, and it adds fun new modes. If you want just a little something fun to spice up zombicide and don't want a whole new expansion I really like the Dogz and companion dogz. Although I would rate Toxic City mall above both of them.

I'm in for season 3, though disappointed with many of the stretch goals and the, umm, shall we call it immaturity of some of the new female survivors. It's been a bit of a problem in the past too but some of the newest ones are more than absurd. The kind that I would be a bit embarrassed to pull out with my wife etc. I like the idea of the crows, sounds like a fun addition. The skinners I am going to see what comes of them, and I don't really like the idea of the seekers, though I will need to play them to really know how it affects the game. The VIPs are cool though, mostly because I like the idea of getting special weapons as a reward, and it sets up a little inter-player competition to kill them when they show up. I do imagine I will try a game with every zombie type straight off the bat though. That will be a bit crazy, but I imagine fun. Right now if I play all 3 zombie types and dogz it can be brutal so I can only imagine what adding two more types, VIPs, and crows will do to it.

Season has also pointed out very obvious power creep in the game now, especially with the "ultimate" season 1 survivors.

Not sure how I feel about the 3D doors. The barricades I don't care one way or the other, like I said I think only 3 or so missions actually use them. The doors will probably just clutter the board... but I am a sucker for anything to pimp out a game I like.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Thanks Chris,

I'm a bit chagrined that the Mall has missions in it that require the Prison, that seems like an obvious money grab. I worry that Rue Morgue will also have that problem, although I think it is supposed to be "standalone." I'm tempted to forgo both the Mall and the Prison, as I can pick them up via online retailers for roughly the same price as the Kickstarter. Then I can wait until a sale or lump them together for free shipping or something.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

The problem is the mall only comes with 4 tiles, so options for creating missions with only 4 tiles are limited, and it was an expansion (as is angry neighbors) while season 1, season 2: prison outbreak, and season 3: rue morgue are standalone games. I can guarantee that angry neighbors will require season 3, and likely season 1 to fully take use of it. Maybe even season 2, although that seems less likely at this time.

I would suggest not getting it through the kickstarter. Who knows when CMON will actually get it to you. I think it is worth having, but if you are on the fence about it you can always pick it up later or even right now on amazon or one of the budget websites for much cheaper.

Edit: Just checked, looks like you can pick them up on Amazon for slightly less right now (Prison outbreak is $71 on amazon, toxic city mall is $39). Not much, but a few dollars cheaper and you could get them whenever you want rather than waiting for CMON's shipping schedule. And having to pay for shipping on top of it.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Chris, this has been a huge help! Thanks! I read over the rules for each and I did not see a huge draw for the Prison. But I'll wait until later for these.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

baelthazar wrote:Chris, this has been a huge help! Thanks! I read over the rules for each and I did not see a huge draw for the Prison. But I'll wait until later for these.
Yeah I agree. Prison is my least favorite. The tiles kind of suck in it too. It looks like season three has better tiles at a glance. The prison tiles just tend to not line up well (in terms of the actual rooms etc not the physical tiles). Really all prison adds otherwise is a better equipment deck with a focus on melee, some cool survivors, and the berserkers.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Another Mustache Pack? With Mr T the Accountant, Ron Burgundy the Undertaker and a Mickey Rourke character? The backstories are hysterical for all three. Now I'm over my $200 limit!

"I pity the foo....who fails to itemize their deductions!"
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Anyone have any comment on the Zombicide compendium add-on? It looks like a nice set of new missions.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

baelthazar wrote:Anyone have any comment on the Zombicide compendium add-on? It looks like a nice set of new missions.
Is there anything new in there? I thought it was just a collection of all the season 1 stuff that has been made available in pdfs previously. It would be nice to have in one place, but I didn't think there was any new content.

---

just read up on it and the boomtown campaign is new
http://zombicide.com/en/compendium-1
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Compendium #1 contains 59 missions created for Zombicide Season 1. It includes official missions, Kyoko Contest missions, the Switch City campaign and the exclusive Boomtown campaign! It also contains a special designer's note revealing the secret ways to customise the Equipment deck and Zombie deck to suit your games.
So that's the following:
- Missions published online (Kyoko mission contest or official mission from Guillotine Games).
- Guillotine missions published in magazines. Some probably haven't been released online.
- Switch City campaign , released online.
- Boomtown campaign, 7 new missions.
- Designers notes.

For $15, I'm in for the convenience of a bound volume (with edits) and the new campaign. The designers notes should have some interesting options, too. With my $10 credit from the Season 2 player board mixup (which I fixed with a thin Sharpie), that's well worth $5.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I am in the for the compendium, just to have one resource instead of a pile of loose paper.

Now if I could just decide what else I am in for. I think with seasons 1 and 2 I am in for about $300 (it was only $300 right)... I am not sure how much further I want to take that... I keep trying to convince myself to call seasons 1 and 2 enough, but I want the team building deck... and the new tiles... and the PVP play... and and... somebody stop me!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

No need for extra tiles and the trick to the stretch goals is you get a box when they're met. So the Bonus VIP 2 minis are split up as stretch goals. The Crows are the only one that seems to be a partial box.

If you have Season 1, 2 and 3 you will be set and can pick up boxes later to taste. Focus on the Exclusives you like. Pick up extra zombie and guest boxes over time to fill out free shipping from your favorite online store.

The extra zombies make the game slower. Since zombies get an extra move if they can't place, that often leads to the survivors getting chewed up right away. More zombies prolongs the chase, but makes for epic last stands and turn-around with a well placed molotov. With 3 base sets, you will have plenty.
Last edited by Zarathud on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was speaking of the tiles as reasons to get Season 3 at all, meaning the ones in the boxes. I wouldn't buy them as extras. I am really trying to convince myself to back out, but failing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Man, if you're already into this game for $300 and are considering adding another $100+...dude, it better be the best game ever, and be pretty much the only thing you play (and you play it weekly).

I mean, think of the size of the CSI order you could make with $400. Think of the size of the shipping box that'd have to come in! So many games!
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds