Dungeon Roll [Kickstarter] [Dicey Dungeon Delve]

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Dungeon Roll [Kickstarter] [Dicey Dungeon Delve]

Post by Zaxxon »

Found this one after clicking through to KS from the Zombicide thread. It's a $15 dicer that looks just quick and simple enough to be fun despite the high luck quotient.

Have any of you played games from Tasty Minstrel before? He's got a few successful prior Kickstarters, but OOer opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Zaxxon on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiLT

Re: Dungeon Roll [Kickstarter] [Dicey Dungeon Delve]

Post by TiLT »

I've been following it, but I don't think it's for me. I despise games that are overly dependent on luck over tactics/strategy. It's the price that makes this tempting, but I don't think even that can overcome my reservations about this kind of game.
Insert witty comment here.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've gotten two of their games, Village and Nobelmen. Love Village, haven't had a chance to play Nobelmen yet. I backed this one as soon as it came out, a light dice rolling dungeon game? I'm all over that.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I backed it as soon as I saw it on Geek Dad. Didn't share it here as I didn't think it would garner interest, but maybe that was a mistake. It seems like it will be a great filler game, perhaps a step above Zombie Dice. It also seems like maybe it would be good to play with kids. I dunno. Either way for $15 I felt it was a great price point and so far it seems to be doing a pretty good job of raising funds. I also like that it will be tiny and easy to smuggle into my ever-growing collection of games. :ninja:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've found his e-mailed updates about how he came up with the price points and the levels of success for this game very interesting.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I like Tasty Minstel. Eminent Domain, Village and Belfort are all clean game designs. I think they also did Martian Dice which a friend likes as filler.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I also backed it. Never played any of the other games, but looked interesting and the price was right
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I backed it a few days ago. Looks like it could be a good filler game, as someone previously mentioned.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote:I like Tasty Minstel. Eminent Domain, Village and Belfort are all clean game designs. I think they also did Martian Dice which a friend likes as filler.
Good to hear; thanks.

I also found the updates on financing to be interesting.

Here's a preproduction copy preview of the game. Sounds like while there's clearly a large luck factor involved, there is some variation and strategy involved. Especially as it keeps hitting stretch goals, it should make for a quality, versatile filler game to have on hand. For $15 I'm in.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

15 to you, but 29 to me (international shipping).

I think 29 is rather pricey in my case
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

While it might not be worth it for you, he created the $100 pledge for people in your shoes. For $100 you get six copies of the game shipped free anywhere. Do you know five other local friends that would be interested?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm in. The dice rolling might work for the kids as an alternative to Zombie Dice. And $15 is definitely the right price.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Just got an email saying the print and play rules are now available
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

IceBear wrote:Just got an email saying the print and play rules are now available
Nice timing; I had just come here to post this. They also hit another stretch goal (Alchemist hero) last night, and will unlock the Scout stretch goal today. Woot.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And $55k just happened, unlocking the Scout card. Undead Viking is next, at $60k.

I'm hoping one of the stretch goals will include some form of interaction tokens / alternate rules. This game seems to me like it would benefit significantly from some way of hosing your opponents. Right now it's basically 1-4 player solitaire. That's not necessarily a bad thing given its focus as a quick, light press-your-luck game. But I think it would be pretty easy to add some level of 'screw your neighbor' which could go a long way toward improving the longevity of the game once all players have mastered the rules.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Small aside - the designer of this game, Chris Darden, is one of the guys who organizes the annual Geekway to the West game convention in St. Louis. Not only is Geekway coming up shortly in just a couple of months, it looks like Chris will have a couple copies of this available to play during the con.

Still 245 slots available, and the next 32 people to register get a free game. I should probably post a new topic about this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, fine. I'm in. The kids and I have a boardgame day, but have relatively few games to play in between (most of our games are of the hours-plus variety.) This looks like it will go nicely as a Zombie Dice alternative.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woot. And cool, Boudreaux. I assume you're going to the con and will report back to us on your Dungeon Roll experience? :horse:
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Oh yes, I'll be there. Will try to look for this and get a game or two in over the weekend. I'm trying really hard not to schedule any game events, because there is always stuff that pops up real-time that I want to get in on. Last year I had the chance to sit down and play Blood Bowl Team Manager with the designer, Jay Little. He cleaned our clocks, but it was fun. This year I want to try him at X-Wing Miniatures.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I may be attending Geekway this year. I wasn't able to make Winter Fantasy this year, so I have a con credit with the wife.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I backed this on the first day. I like what I see so far and hope it keeps getting support. More than anything I like that this game has solo potential AND has no setup time.

As for Tasty Minstrel Games, the only game of their I own is Belfort. I think it's a good game, but what stands out is the component quality. Nice heavy stock boards, linen finished cards, excellent wooden bits (especially the wood tokens that look like rough cut timber) and a fantastic rulebook. I wouldn't have any concerns about the quality of this Kickstarter component-wise.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Martian Dice are also solid even if I'm not a fan of the abducted human icon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That was a freebie at BGGCon last year. It's certainly a quick hitter.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$60k was just hit, unlocking the Undead Viking. Next up is Leprechaun at $65k. I have to say these last few unlocks haven't done much for me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They'll probably get a bit of a boost from being mentioned in the Project Eternity update email.

I have to say, I didn't expect this to raise so much money. When he first listed out the financials, $80K seemed like a ridiculous goal. But all signs point to him reaching it and then some. I'd like it to hit that 100K for the extra dice (because who doesn't love extra dice), so maybe he's thinking that's more or less where this will all end?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:They'll probably get a bit of a boost from being mentioned in the Project Eternity update email.
Yeah, that was huge--today has already beaten yesterday's $ amount by over $1k, and it's only 10 am.
I have to say, I didn't expect this to raise so much money. When he first listed out the financials, $80K seemed like a ridiculous goal. But all signs point to him reaching it and then some. I'd like it to hit that 100K for the extra dice (because who doesn't love extra dice), so maybe he's thinking that's more or less where this will all end?
I'm hoping for that, as well. I think the game has enough hero cards at this point and am looking forward to component upgrades.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

Less than 4k dollars from 120k. The 120k stretch reward is the Dragon Lair card. With 8 days left to go...I am thinking it is going to make it.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I do wish they'd set the giant d10 lower. That would come in handy for tracking rounds in other games, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

less than 800 dollars left to go to meet the 120k stretch...8 more days left...I wonder what the next pledge is, the one with the "? ? ?"
My boardgames for sale:

Holman

Post by Holman »

I stumbled on this one just a couple of days ago. I was about to back it when I learned that my sister had already gone in for two copies, one of them for me. Woo hoo!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

And this is now past the 120k mark!! This game is going to be great...and all the kickstarter stuff along with it!!
My boardgames for sale:

Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I was interested in this game, but after viewing the gameplay video I'm back on the fence. There didn't seem to be much gameplay there, though I guess that's true of most dice games.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:I was interested in this game, but after viewing the gameplay video I'm back on the fence. There didn't seem to be much gameplay there, though I guess that's true of most dice games.
It's definitely a light, filler-type game. The Undead Viking review gives what I feel is a better overview of the game than the one on the Kickstarter page.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Zaxxon wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:I was interested in this game, but after viewing the gameplay video I'm back on the fence. There didn't seem to be much gameplay there, though I guess that's true of most dice games.
It's definitely a light, filler-type game. The Undead Viking review gives what I feel is a better overview of the game than the one on the Kickstarter page.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

from what have seen of the gameplay, it kinda reminds me of zombie dice.
My boardgames for sale:

Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Thanks. My in-laws like push your luck games and this will be right up their alley.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

about 21 hours left on this kickstarter...and less than 8,000 dollars left to reach the 200k mark. Do you guys think it will reach the 250k goal? I think it could be possible...I didn't think it would reach the 160k, then the 180k, but now 200k is looking like it will be reached.
My boardgames for sale:

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

So it's hit 200k... will be interesting to see if it makes 250k. They're certainly cramming a lot into that box! Personally though, I don't care for the mimic box. Maybe if it was more chest-colored with the teeth and eyes, but I wasn't expecting the purple/green coloring. Not going to make me pull my pledge or anything, just a little disappointed.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

The status update emails every few hours are a bit excessive. Glad it's nearly over. :?
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

SpaceLord wrote:The status update emails every few hours are a bit excessive. Glad it's nearly over. :?
Try backing several kickstarters that do that and end at the same time ;_;. Spam galore.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->