St. Louis - Geekway to the West 2013

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Boudreaux

St. Louis - Geekway to the West 2013

Post by Boudreaux »

Just a heads up, Geekway to the West is coming up in just a couple of months, May 9-12. St. Louis' premiere all-board-gaming-all-the-time con, it runs 8am Thursday through 10pm Sunday, passes are $35 for all four days or $30 for just the weekend. First 400 registrations get a free game from Miniature Market (they're about 30 away from hitting the limit). Geekway is held at the Sheraton Hotel in Westport, which is smack dab in the middle of a pretty nice little set of restaurants for dining options.

Highlights are numerous door prizes, tournaments for everything from crokinole to Netrunner to Pitchcar to Combat Commander, a humongous trade table, lots of Play to Win games, and a free library of hundreds of games to play.

Play to Win games - highlights include Belfort, D-Day Dice, Descent 2ed, Legendary, Mice and Mystics, Libertalia, Zombicide, Tammany Hall, Terra Mystica, and probably other amazing new hotness titles that I'm completely unaware of how great they are.

Here's a look at some of the games people are organizing. I tend not to get too involved in this, as I'm almost invariably in the middle of something when I'm scheduled to be starting up another game. But it's a good snapshot of the kinds of games that go on.

If you're anywhere within driving distance and into board games, this is really a fantastic weekend. Highly recommended.
Boudreaux

Re: St. Louis - Geekway to the West 2013

Post by Boudreaux »

One and only one bump. Geekway is two weeks from tomorrow, and fewer than 150 tickets remain (they say they'll sell out, I'm guessing it will be on the day it starts with walk-ups). Pre-registration and early bird pricing ends April 30.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Boudreaux wrote:One and only one bump. Geekway is two weeks from tomorrow, and fewer than 150 tickets remain (they say they'll sell out, I'm guessing it will be on the day it starts with walk-ups). Pre-registration and early bird pricing ends April 30.
Aw, crap! I'm actually going to be down near St. Louis that weekend, but that's Mother's Day weekend, so there's no way I can get away (especially since I haven't seen my mom since Christmas!)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Yeah, last year or the year before it was over Father's Day weekend. I'm not sure why they keep conflicting it with holidays like this.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

One other tidbit for any board gamers in the St. Louis area May 9-12. Looks like Miniature Market is opening up their warehouse during Geekway for visitors to shop. Their retail store is about 1/2 mile from where the convention is being held, and their warehouse is right there in the same location. If it's like last year, they basically let you go into the warehouse and buy anything you want right off the shelf at their normal online prices. If nothing else, it's kind of cool to see that many games all in one room.