Origins 2013 (with a question)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

paulbaxter

Origins 2013 (with a question)

Post by paulbaxter »

I've thought several times about making the trek to Columbus for this, and it looks like this might be the year. It's June 12-16 if you haven't looked it up yet.

My big question is, how is this event for kids?
My 8yo is into board games. He has enjoyed San Juan, Monopoly, Ticket to Ride, Agricola (a couple of times) and others. I also have a 7yo, who is slightly less into board games, but has really enjoyed Monopoly Jr.

My sister-in-law and her family live nearby, so my wife and my 5yo would be hanging out with them. I could probably get out for a night or two for some adult beverages.

Who's up for it this year?
No sig, must scream, etc.
hepcat

Re: Origins 2013 (with a question)

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud, Seppe and I will be there for the whole time. It's very kid friendly, I will say.

Usually we end up either in the open board gaming room after the scheduled events end (well...most of them. they do have quite a few late night games if memory serves.), or the bar they set up at the end of the convention center that runs until midnight or so. In either case, we're usually still playing games.

Before the convention, I'll shoot you my cell phone number so you can text us (the preferred method of communication in a very loud convention center).

We'll be at the attached Hilton and they have a nice bar with some small tables that can be used for filler games. We also have lunch at least once or twice at a brewpub next door so I can get my required dose of sauerkraut balls and a reuben. but we don't venture far from the convention center, I will say.
He won. Period.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I'd say it looks like about an 85% chance that I'll make it, barring any sort of major job change before then.

If we're generally just interested in board games, as opposed to miniatures or collectible cards or whatever, is there anything special I need to do for registration?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Origins is primarily a boardgamer's convention, but they don't separate out the genres for the sake of passes. Just grab the general passes and you'll be fine. I believe pre-reg is still being offered which saves you a little bit of money (full passes for pre-reg are 55 bucks, I believe).
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Register for the stuff you know you want to play, and get some generics for stuff you hear about later that you want to jump into, if available.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

and my personal favorite, the open boardgame room ribbon. for 20 bucks you get 24 hour access to a giant room with hundreds and hundreds of games available to play.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Origins is family friendly and very focused on board games and LARPs. The first year we went, my wife accompanied me and brought her 9 year old cousin in the area in on a special shopper's day pass. They didn't play any games but they did get a chance to see the dealer hall. It was overwhelming for her cousin and after getting him some Star Wars minis, he was ready to go home and play. There is a kid room and some family track events. Your 8 year old sounds like perfect for the open Mayfair/Catan gaming areas which are quite newcomer friendly IMO. But it is crowded, big and some gamers are dicks.

I am running a Paranoia RPG event Friday from 8-12 am. If you want, pm and I can email last year's event list spreadsheet or answer specific questions. Hope to see you there.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

My wife and I were thinking of dropping by Origins this year. We may be in the area that week anyways. Not sure if we can or not yet, do the passes sell out or if we decided to go that week would we be fine (albeit paying more)?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't believe they've ever sold out so you should be fine.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Passes do not sell out, the event space is massive. But you would have to pay $65 (instead of $55) for the week, or $20 for a 1-Day Passes ($15 for pre-registration). Registering onsite means you have to first register, then go to a second line for event registration. Depending on when you show up, that can take 5 minutes or close to an hour. Unlike GenCon, you can usually find events still open. Ticketed events are typically $1 per hour, but ribbons will get you a flat-price all-you-can-eat access to the event type. The Board Game Room Ribbon is an excellent deal, like hepcat says.

There are dealer-hall only 1 "Day Passes" available for $10 per person or $15 per family. The day passes do allow access into all non-ticketed events, such as:
• Entry to the Exhibit Hall
• Entry to the Art Show
• Entry into the Origins Theme area for breakfast or evening events
• Participation in the Origins Auction
• Participation in Open Gaming (squatting at a table)
• Murder Mystery Dinner (requires $40 purchase for event entry)
• Smithee Awards
• BattlePods (BattleTech, which requires purchase of sessions. Sessions can be purchased at the BattlePod area).
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, well, well...special guests this year include one Mr. Kevin Sorbo.

The trap is set and now I will exact my revenge for Meet the Spartans.
He won. Period.
Seppe

Post by Seppe »

This will be my first origins. When my son was 8, i took him to gencon for a weekend and he loved it.

If you can make it multiple days, bring your child(s) one day and then another just for you.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why would he bring someone else's child just for him? :?
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

2013 event grids were released today.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just to answer Paul the OP. Ive never been to this but I have been to big things like this with my sister many many years ago when my niece and nephew were around those ages. It starts out well but will end badly. They get tired...they get bored...they get restless...all the while you are trying to watch after them in a large amount of total strangers. Feeding them, taking them to the bathroom, answering questions, taking things out of their hands. It ends up bad for them and you. You'll not be playing anything I'd bet.

but that was my experience and they were not my kids nor in my care and not at that particular attraction.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There are enough vendors to find some bribes to bring back for the kids, whether it's stuffed animals, plastic figures or clothing.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Daehawk wrote:Just to answer Paul the OP. Ive never been to this but I have been to big things like this with my sister many many years ago when my niece and nephew were around those ages. It starts out well but will end badly. They get tired...they get bored...they get restless...all the while you are trying to watch after them in a large amount of total strangers. Feeding them, taking them to the bathroom, answering questions, taking things out of their hands. It ends up bad for them and you. You'll not be playing anything I'd bet.

but that was my experience and they were not my kids nor in my care and not at that particular attraction.
I'm not worried about most of that with my 8 yo. He's become fairly timid recently, so I know he won't be running off. The only big downside I see is that I doubt I'll be able to leave him on his own much if at all, so we'll have to play the same games together. But he loves boardgames and is quite smart, so I think we'll have fun. I may be able to swing some evening solo time also.

We just got our registrations in, BTW, but I still don't know what our itinerary will be. My wife is trying to arrange a bunch of family events.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Darn, I really want to go this year just to meet with with everyone. But on June 13th I am leaving for Disney. I guess I could try to trick my wife into stopping in Columbus for a few hours. But let's face it, she is smarter than me and would not take kindly to my attempt at trying to trick her. :)

I am going to see if maybe I can make it to GenCon, but this little Disney trip is already a huge pile of cash. And I doubt I can swing getting the permission of the wife to race off to Indianapolis and leave her with the kids for four days or have the PTO after 2 weeks off for Disney. <sigh>

I hope you all have fun. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

paulbaxter wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Just to answer Paul the OP. Ive never been to this but I have been to big things like this with my sister many many years ago when my niece and nephew were around those ages. It starts out well but will end badly. They get tired...they get bored...they get restless...all the while you are trying to watch after them in a large amount of total strangers. Feeding them, taking them to the bathroom, answering questions, taking things out of their hands. It ends up bad for them and you. You'll not be playing anything I'd bet.

I'm not worried about most of that with my 8 yo. He's become fairly timid recently, so I know he won't be running off. The only big downside I see is that I doubt I'll be able to leave him on his own much if at all, so we'll have to play the same games together. But he loves boardgames and is quite smart, so I think we'll have fun. I may be able to swing some evening solo time also.

We just got our registrations in, BTW, but I still don't know what our itinerary will be. My wife is trying to arrange a bunch of family events.
Well whether it goes bad or good...and from what you say im assuming it will go good....you will have good memories to take with you and talk about for the rest of both your days. I think you'll both have fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Never too early to lay the groundwork for next year, RMC. :)

I brought my wife along to my first year of Origins and she ended up giving staying in the room watching Dr. Who videos on hepcat's X-Box, ordering room service and making a few trips to seminars/the dealer hall. I now have a permanent "annual free pass" to Origins.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:Never too early to lay the groundwork for next year, RMC. :)

I brought my wife along to my first year of Origins and she ended up giving staying in the room watching Dr. Who videos on hepcat's X-Box, ordering room service and making a few trips to seminars/the dealer hall. I now have a permanent "annual free pass" to Origins.
Yeah, when my wife and I were dating back in college, I took her to a gaming shop to buy some miniatures. She was not amused at all by the stares from all the 'men' in the store. To this day, almost 18 years later she still does not like to go into most gaming shops with me...And go to a convention filled with those same 'people'...Not going to happen anytime soon, I think were her words.

And next year, I am definitely going to make it. Columbus is as close as Hepcat's hideaway is to me, so the drive is no big deal. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Bkwyrm

Post by Bkwyrm »

You forgot to mention I was in an ankle brace due to torn ligaments, so hanging around watching Dr. Who was really all I could do.

Origins seems like it's a lot of fun for the people who are into that. I am not, but Zarathud is, so he can go - it keeps him from trying to force me to play Paranoia with him. He's also got a pass for GenCon, which is slightly more local. He's managed to attend all the Octocons, too, despite two (or more of them, I can't remember now) falling on the weekend of our wedding anniversary.

Some women's husbands like blond bimbos and expensive cars. Mine likes boardgames. I really don't feel I can complain.
Demens, maleficus, et periculosus agnoscere.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Way to kill the thread, darling.

I'm heading out to Origins Wednesday after work. I waited a few hours to register, and the Paranoia events filled up quickly this year.

6/13 Thursday - Fantasy Flight Games
Merchants of Venus 9 AM - 1 PM
Race for the Galaxy Tournament 2 PM - 4 PM
Rex 5 PM - 8 PM
Board Game Room Open Gaming 8 PM - 12 AM

6/14 Friday - Skullduggery
Paranoia (as GM) 8 AM - 12 PM
Super Dungeon Explore 2 PM - 6 PM
Cutthroat Caverns 6 PM - 8 PM

6/15 Saturday - Miniatures
Ogre - Designer's Edition 10 AM - 12 PM
Space Hulk 3D 3 PM - 6 PM
Wizard's Brew 7 PM - 9 PM
Board Game Room Open Gaming 9 PM -12 AM

6/16 Sunday
Dealer Room/Open Gaming 10 AM - 1 PM

If anyone wants to meet up, lunch on Saturday between 12 - 3 PM would work great. I could also easily be persuaded to play a game of Eclipse instead of Rex on Thursday after 5 PM.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:Way to kill the thread, darling.

I'm heading out to Origins Wednesday after work. I waited a few hours to register, and the Paranoia events filled up quickly this year.

6/13 Thursday - Fantasy Flight Games
Merchants of Venus 9 AM - 1 PM
Race for the Galaxy Tournament 2 PM - 4 PM
Rex 5 PM - 8 PM

6/14 Friday - Skullduggery
Paranoia (as GM) 8 AM - 12 PM
Super Dungeon Explore 2 PM - 6 PM
Cutthroat Caverns 6 PM - 8 PM

6/15 Saturday - Miniatures
Ogre - Designer's Edition 10 AM - 12 PM
Space Hulk 3D 3 PM - 6 PM
Wizard's Brew 7 PM - 9 PM
Board Game Room Open Gaming 9 PM -12 AM

6/16 Sunday
Dealer Room/Open Gaming 10 AM - 1 PM

If anyone wants to meet up, lunch on Saturday between 12 - 3 PM would work great. I could also easily be persuaded to play a game of Eclipse instead of Rex on Thursday after 5 PM.
Man I hate that my vacation at Disney hits these same dates. <sigh> But next year I will be there.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll be asking you to help min-max my Quest for Princesses early next year, RMC. And there's always GenCon in its own thread. ;)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:I'll be asking you to help min-max my Quest for Princesses early next year, RMC. And there's always GenCon in its own thread. ;)
Yeah. I am still trying to convince my wife to let me go for that. I even had a friend who had 2 of his roommates back out, so he needs some extra funds to pay for his room. <sigh>

I'll see if I can earn some extra dough on the side to pay for a trip to gen con. :)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Seasons expansion should be out by Origins! Yes!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Have the Seasons expansion, even if I'm not getting a chance to play until Origins!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Roll call. Only 1 week left....
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

My Dad and I will be driving over for the day on Saturday, June 15. Any advice? I will have a Press badge, so that is nice. I'm mostly interested in seeing the vendors more than anything else.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Your dad can get in on a $10 family pass. Vendors are in Exhibit Hall C. A visit to the miniatures hall can be interesting, especially if he's interested in history or models.

I would suggest lunch between 12-3 PM on Saturday at Barley's Alehouse, a microbrew across the street. I should be available if anyone wants to meet up.

There's a Costume Contest on Saturday at 3:00 PM in the Theme Area. The ad and event listing are online and can be downloaded from here.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:Your dad can get in on a $10 family pass. Vendors are in Exhibit Hall C. A visit to the miniatures hall can be interesting, especially if he's interested in history or models.

I would suggest lunch between 12-3 PM on Saturday at Barley's Alehouse, a microbrew across the street. I should be available if anyone wants to meet up.

There's a Costume Contest on Saturday at 3:00 PM in the Theme Area. The ad and event listing are online and can be downloaded from here.
I pretty much have to go to the miniatures hall, given that I am taking pictures for a wargamer site! Is that just off Exhibit Hall C?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Short walk, maybe 2 Halls down. I'll be in the Miniatures Hall playing Space Hulk and Ogre on Saturday, so stop by!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:Short walk, maybe 2 Halls down. I'll be in the Miniatures Hall playing Space Hulk and Ogre on Saturday, so stop by!
Are you playing Designer Edition Ogre? Because I will certainly want to see that!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

BTW, I think most of you have seen my face on my Youtube videos, but if not, look for this guy wandering around with a guy who looks similar, but older and no beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvS13REMOI
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

double tappa
Last edited by Zarathud on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Oh yes. I couldn't wait for my box to arrive and Ogre was one of my first convention games. I expect to be just as terrible as 20+ years ago.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Starting out with a 13+ hour flight delay due to the storm. My 6 pm flight cancelled after boarding at 3 am.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kevin Sorbo is here. I know he's seen me. It's a waiting game now.
He won. Period.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:Kevin Sorbo is here. I know he's seen me. It's a waiting game now.
Kiss him on the lips for me hep!