MERCS

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

MERCS

Post by Smoove_B »

Does anyone have any experience with MERCS from 2010? I happened to come across a Kickstarter project for another game they're creating and while doing some research discovered this earlier completely unrelated boardgame. BGG reviews seem pretty solid but I couldn't find anyone here mentioning it.

Because, really, what I need right now is more games.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Re: MERCS

Post by hepcat »

I was just looking over myth (the kickstarter I think you're referring to) the other night. I elected to forego it because I didn't see any real bonus in backing it at this time as opposed to getting it retail later, and I've got too many projects backed as is.

I had drooled over Mercs at origins a few years ago but ultimately didn't purchase at the time as it's a little steep to get into, monetarily speaking. I like the use of cards for movement though. Sort of a wings of war on land.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, Myth is the game in question. Near as I can tell, the best reason to support the Kickstart is that you you can the base game for a $75 pledge, assuming $89 retail pricing. However, once the stretch goals kick in a $100 pledge has the potential to get you a serious load of miniatures.

But getting back to MERCS, yes, it has that card-based movement and by all accounts it seems streamlined. Particularly in that you are always playing a 5v5 solider max - there's very little in the way of crafting a "perfect" army as you only have 6 soldiers to choose from.

I watched a few Youtube videos and it looked pretty cool, however they were playing in a fully 3D modeled town. Not sure how much fun it would be with 2D terrain cards but I'm definitely keeping it on my short list.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I'm a complete dork for the game right now, have you looked at Malifaux? I remember you being a Heroscape fan a while back and Malifaux is the closest game in the mini's world I've come across to have that story driven, skirmish level with units that have neat powers, feel of Heroscape.

Plus, you can get in the door with the game at a reasonable price. Two 25 point or more starter boxes that are available for about 25 bucks each at most online retailers (one for you, one for your oppenent), the online rules available for free(missing art, some game examples, etc...but a full rule set all the same), two decks of standard cards (or two of their Fate Decks for about 8 bucks a pop) and a table. And away you go. It's a neat mix of Victorian Gothic, Steampunk, Horror, Sci Fi and the Wild West. I love that each encounter is driven not by "cross table, kill everyone" but rather "here are your unique objectives for this game".
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, one of the videos I watched Malifaux was mentioned as a point of comparison. The person doing the review said it was their favorite but that MERCS was a close second. I'll definitely check it out.