[Kickstarter] Dwarven Forge Game Tiles

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

[Kickstarter] Dwarven Forge Game Tiles

Post by hentzau »

I've always loved the terrain from DF, but have never pulled the trigger on getting any despite drooling over them every GenCon for the past 10 odd years. Last year, I had the money to pick them up, but I ended up backing out at the last minute.

Now, they have a new line of terrain called "Game Tiles" that they are kickstarting, and this time I'm going to jump in. Despite not playing D&D for 3 odd years now, except for an occasional game about twice a year. I just love building out dungeon layouts for my games, and this is the impetus to get me going.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Re: [Kickstarter] Dwarven Forge Game Tiles

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been drooling over Dwarven Forge and Hirst Arts stuff for years. The biggest problem for me (aside from the expense of getting a large enough set for them to be practical) is that I simply don't have anywhere to store them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I'm eyeing the kickstarter myself. I may see if I can convince some friends to split a $120 pledge with me, because it doesn't seem all that worth it to go for just one set and miss out on all the stretch goals, but I can't justify spending $120 on it all on my own.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I wouldn't pledge for any less than 2 sets. I'm in for 3, but thinking about bumping up to 5 (my tax return should be in about the time that the kickstarter is over (yeah, I'm a procrastinator.))
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Six days to go, and now I'm waffling. I've been spending money like a drunken Hepcat in a gaming store recently, and I'm also trying to justify how often (if ever) I plan on playing D&D again.

Here's a link to their rewards pagefor pledging. Still get a bunch of extra stuff.

But the spending spree has to end sometime.

Sometime...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: I've been spending money like a drunken Hepcat in a gaming store recently,
I would like to point out that you routinely make me look like an amateur in this area, my friend. I'm bad...but not YOUR level of bad. :lol:
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote: I've been spending money like a drunken Hepcat in a gaming store recently,
I would like to point out that you routinely make me look like an amateur in this area, my friend. I'm bad...but not YOUR level of bad. :lol:
I know, I know. I think it's a bit of a midlife crisis, where I have a daughter heading to college next year and I know that EVERY SINGLE PENNY of disposable income I have now will instantly vanish. So I'm stocking up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You can't stop!?! I NEED access to your library this summer when I attempt to crawl out of my self imposed solitary and do some more gaming!

Although we do need to seriously schedule some Merchants and Marauders. I'm jonesing to play again.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:You can't stop!?! I NEED access to your library this summer when I attempt to crawl out of my self imposed solitary and do some more gaming!

Although we do need to seriously schedule some Merchants and Marauders. I'm jonesing to play again.
I've never taught Stuart how to play, somehow. We'll get an evening with the group of us for some 4 player.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Blackhawk wrote:Hirst Arts
I haven't heard of this company before. Do they sell miniature vitrines with bisected farm animals? Because if so, that would be awesome.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Eight hours to go. I'm still in at this point, and actually wanting to add on some of their add on packs. I may drop from 5 to 3 sets and add on packs to do this.

I'm still not 100% sure why I'm doing this, other than I've always wanted a bunch of their terrain, and this is the perfect chance. But since I don't play D&D anymore, it's kind of silly. OK, a lot silly.

Oh, and they're at almost $1.7 M in pledges. Insane.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have been so tempted at Origins but I play D&D less than hentzau. So I will have to stay away from Kickstarter for a few more days....
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote:I have been so tempted at Origins but I play D&D less than hentzau. So I will have to stay away from Kickstarter for a few more days....
I debate making tilesets for games like Space Hulk. Then I remember I'm me.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

Space hulk was awesome. I first got introduced to games workshop through epic. Space hulk was the next and I still remember to this day standing down a corridor with two marines with lightning claws nearly killing all the tyranids. Last te I had any lucky roles. Was great.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Temptress, thy name is LordMortis. Fortunately, it was hepcat who bought the GW special edition of Space Hulk. Otherwise, my willpower would have just failed.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I cancelled my pledge. :cry:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AWS260 wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Hirst Arts
I haven't heard of this company before. Do they sell miniature vitrines with bisected farm animals? Because if so, that would be awesome.
They sell molds. With some cheap dental plaster you can build as many pieces as you have the patience for. Gallery of their stuff.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The way you were talking Saturday about the amount of money you were sinking into the kickstarter and how you didn't get much of a chance to even play any more, I figured this was going to happen. It sounds like a wise choice though, given what you were saying.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote:Temptress, thy name is LordMortis. Fortunately, it was hepcat who bought the GW special edition of Space Hulk. Otherwise, my willpower would have just failed.
I went to go replace Advance Space Crusade, figuring I could talk redrun in to playing competitively on a regular basis. The game would really be right up his alley. Then I saw how much sets were going for and I was sad. ASC was totally my favorite of the that whole series.

Just thing how much cooler games like Decent would be with those tiles.... Again I debate making my own... And again I remember, I'm me, so I'm safe. I will never happen.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:The way you were talking Saturday about the amount of money you were sinking into the kickstarter and how you didn't get much of a chance to even play any more, I figured this was going to happen. It sounds like a wise choice though, given what you were saying.
Still makes me sad though. I was depressed all evening last night.

Stupid adult responsibilities.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote:
hepcat wrote:The way you were talking Saturday about the amount of money you were sinking into the kickstarter and how you didn't get much of a chance to even play any more, I figured this was going to happen. It sounds like a wise choice though, given what you were saying.

Can your oldest daughter settle for community college?
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:

Can your oldest daughter settle for community college?
Shut up, Jiminy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"Honey, daddy loves you more than all the tea in China. More than all the water in the ocean. More than all the stars in the sky...

...however, what daddy DOES love more than you is three dimensional terrain for his yearly D&D games.

Now, let's talk about the food service industry."
Covfefe!