Eminent Domain: Escalation [Kickstarter]

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Eminent Domain: Escalation [Kickstarter]

Post by Zaxxon »

Friggin' TMG are asking for my money again. I've seen positive feedback here on OO for Eminent Domain. Anyone care to push me one way or the other on this?
Zarathud

Re: Eminent Domain: Escalation [Kickstarter]

Post by Zarathud »

It's like Race for the Galaxy but with cards. ;)

Ok, I meant cards for the play selection. I'm in -- that was a good mechanic but Eminent Domain fell a bit short after playing a bunch of times. My hope is the expansion gives more play variety.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote:It's like Race for the Galaxy but with cards. ;)
I'm one of the three gamers left who haven't played RftG yet.
I'm in -- that was a good mechanic but Eminent Domain fell a bit short after playing a bunch of times. My hope is the expansion gives more play variety.
Good to know.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, I caved and backed at the 1 Eminent Domain + 1 ED:Escalation level. They've already funded and knocked down one stretch goal in < 1 day on a holiday weekend, so the project will probably end up with most of the stretch goals achieved.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I very much preferred Eminent Domain to Dominion and RftG (but not as much as Glory to Rome, if we are comparing card games). It does tend to lose a little interest factor due to the more uniform nature of the cards (the technology cards are varied, but the run-of-the-mill cards are just bland action cards). The mechanics, however, just seemed stronger, easier to learn, and less finicky than other similar games (and you don't have to learn a veritable language of symbols like you do for RftG).

I hear Escalation adds conquest and some other much-needed elements. I'm likely to consider it, because we certainly enjoyed Eminent Domain.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed it for a while but I have to agree with Zarathud's assessment. I was about to suggest Core Worlds with the latest expansion, but I think that would be more like comparing apples to oranges as Core Worlds is a much heftier game and can take quite a while to play. It's definitely not filler material like ED (ha...ED).
Covfefe!