[Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: [Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

Post by hepcat »

Well, the quest system has been overhauled. And I know that the addition of keywords, the change in how movement is handled (clearing up the whole "why are there movement symbols on my interrupt cards???"), and a slight combat TN change have occurred. I was just asking because I'd love to see someone play with those changes.

I also wasn't aware that 2.0 content had been released...again. I thought I already had all the 2.0 stuff and that it was released a few months ago. :?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I have a stack of papers (really, I need a filing cabinet) with everything they've released over the last year via .pdf on their website and the thing that bothers me is that nothing (outside of the quarterly "patch" content) is labeled with a date or change log. My buddy prints everything out and then cuts the cards and slaps them in sleeves. He's crazy, but he's useful so I keep him around. :D I was trying to avoid printing and cutting and instead just waiting for everything to be officially released, but after spending hours and hours painting we decided to just sit down and learn. We muscled through back when the beta 2.0 came out in March and we used the updated quest and character cards last week without a problem.

I do feel like I can explain just about anything regarding the rules at this point so don't hesitate to post something or send me a PM if you have a question. I do think for learning the game, the Solider and Acolyte work the best - the solider in particular.

With that I'm sure then you're going to be confused about something I have no idea about. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll probably sit down with the 2.0 rules when I get them. I've looked them over and was able to see what they had changed and why (for the most part) though. I had played it before, and taught it to a few others, so I'm not coming into this blind thankfully. It really does appear that they've addressed my biggest issues with these updates. And I REALLY like the change to the story/questing system. It's much, much cleaner now. I'm looking forward to trying out the Fireborne and Revenant quest lines at some point.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I think adding the Sadler brothers to help with the re-writes was a really, really smart move. Additionally, having them part of the team for the Journeyman release as well as the as-yet unnamed strategy game is definitely going to help. My buddy wanted to tackle the Fireborne story arc but I'm trying to hold him off until we get the official release with the new figures (so we don't need to use chits or proxy figures). I don't think I'll be able to hold him until June of 2016, but I can try. :)

If you already played it, I think you'll find everything has been cleaned up nicely. We are well passed the rule-smithing at this point and now focused on the deeper strategy of how to tackle a particular tile based on the cards we have active. I'm a big fan of co-op games in general, and the table-talk with strategy discussions for this really add a whole new lair.
Zarathud

[Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

Post by Zarathud »

I enjoyed playing because hepcat did the heavy lifting with the rules and I played the straight up fighter. The option to expand by playing-a-tile-as-you go is a great idea, especially during an open game night.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's all we've been doing grab a tile and a random quest from the deck and follow the setup instructions. Want to make it easy? Just put the tile minimums on (following quest rules). Want to make it harder? Add wandering monsters or more lairs (again, following quest requirements as a guide). Even selecting the monsters can change things up, everything else being equal. Grubbers? Very much the stereotypical stupid orc. All melee attacks and they go after high threat characters (Solider). Want more of a challenge? Add the crawlers with the ranged attacks and poison possibilities. We just used the Shamblers (skeletons) for the first time and they include a ranged attack possibility and like to target the Acolyte. We finish the quest on that tile and then call it a night. In terms of one-shot adventures, it really works well for us. If we have more time, just adding another tile (maybe even a smaller one) would work great. I can totally appreciate it's not for anyone, but I'm really hopeful that once all this 2.0 stuff is officially circulated and more people start playing they're going to really see how deep the game is.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sigh...now I'm debating whether or not I should up my pledge to get the Journeyman stuff. I really would love the class upgrades. :oops:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't want to talk you out of anything, but when I read various comments suggesting that the materials included with the base box don't let you play the full game or somehow would limit you to a series of short gaming sessions...it's mind boggling. Yes, if you're into the Slaughterfield (wave after wave of increasing monsters), clearly you're going to need lots of miniatures. Yes, when the game shipped there were issues with some of the quests and their setup. But right now - today - if you either go and print the updated quest cards or you're just waiting for the printed updates to be mailed as part of the Kickstarter, there's easily 30+ hours of gaming in the base box. Easily. And that's not even including the Fury of the Fireborne and Rise of the Revenant freebies.

Even if you just get the optional quest decks from the upcoming pledge manager (or do you have them already from the first KS?), there is an absurd amount of content.

Unless you're really into getting unlocked exclusives, I don't see why you'd need to start throwing money at them again. The new Journeyman sets will be ready (hopefully) next June. I can easily see my buddy and I playing just what we already own through then.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, I'm kind of confused about what gets me what, so I'll probably just hold off after all. I tried digging through their KS page and it kind of left me confused. A state that, admittedly, is my default setting.

But I think I can just wait and get the core expansion boxes at online pricing. Those should have what I'm looking for.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. I really don't think there's a need to rush. It's taken me about 5 plays to really start to understand the Solider and my buddy has primarily been using the Acolyte. Based on my more limited experience with the Archer and his with the Apprentice, they are completely different characters to play. We haven't event touched the Skald, Brigand, Spriggan or Trickster yet so add character variations into the mix with what you already own. It might actually be cheaper for you to charter a plane and come play in my basement next week than negotiate a pledge manager. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I should've bought the 2.0 stuff at gencon. It was 10 bucks. Since they were telling us that the pledge manager would be open by the beginning of July, and it's now August, I'm starting to suspect the September date for the 2.0 stuff may be optimistic. Darn it.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was under the impression that all the 2.0 stuff was being printed locally and that shipping it all out was going to be a rather quick and painless formality. But yeah, the fact that they keep dodging any type of confirmation as to what's going on with the pledge manager, I don't really know what to think anymore. I do believe they are sort of punishing the broader customer base because of the vocal few that complained so loudly about the original late delivery. Instead of communicating generally what's going on, apparently they're only going to tell us very specific factual information.

I also believe they are stretched waaaaaaaaaay too thin and they need to just focus...or hire more people.