[Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

[Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

Post by Smoove_B »

No relation to the old Bungie game, but it certain looks like a good one. Historically, I probably would have avoided this game based on the number of miniatures, but now that I know I can spent relatively little time making them look slightly better than what comes in the box, I decided to take the plunge.

Unfortunately, the price for entry is a bit steep - $75 is the lowest tier that gets you a discounted copy (MSRP $89); $100 is where you start getting Kickstarter freebies.

They just hit the $150,000 mark at about the halfway point of the drive. They have been very chatty with updates and based on their support of my new obsession, MERCS, this seems like solid bet.

The thing I'm really liking is that it's 100% co-op. While we have been enjoying Descent 2nd edition, this seems like a lighter cooperative alternative that also harkens back to classic D&D dungeon crawls.
MYTH is a fully co-operative fantasy game. Players take on the role of one of 5 different heroes working together to defeat the Darkness. Each hero has a different skill set which represented by a unique deck of cards. Players spend Action Points by using cards. Once a certain amount of Action Points have been spent the Darkness fights back by activating monster lairs, spawning monster captains and eventually the Boss.

A complete game in Myth is called a Story. Each Story is played over three Acts. Acts can be played sequentially, or can be split up over three different game sessions.

Players' avatars within a Story are called Heroes. Myth Heroes are clothed in immense power, able to reave all but the mightiest foes. However, this power must be balanced lest the Darkness take too much notice. Players must weigh their actions against the Threat each will bring, with the consequences of awakening more evil and bringing doom on the party's endeavors. And be careful they must, as the Darkness is formidable and eager to snatch glory from the valiant.

Heroes are controlled through an intuitive Hero Deck (videos for each Hero can be found in the Game Play Videos section below). Each deck plays uniquely and allows players more freedom of action and the ability to truly impact the Story each and every Act. Yet, cooperation is the key to victory and bloody fortune. Players must communicate, interact, and assist each other or surely the Darkness will cover all.

Myth is a fully cooperative game. There is no player controlling the Darkness. The Darkness is governed by a set of rules unique to each Boss Deck. Yet, the Darkness is activated through Hero actions. If the Heroes get overzealous, then the Darkness pushes back by activating Lairs, spawning Captains, and punishing the Heroes with devious Events. If the Heroes take a more subtle approach, then the Darkness reacts by reducing the potential for treasure and rewards. Without the treasures and equipment to upgrade, the Heroes will find each Act more difficult and eventually fail. The dynamic nature of the Darkness really lends a more fluid feel to the Story. Players aren't being driven by properties out of their control, nor are they being shepherded by a person whose skill has a direct impact on the enjoyment of the game.

Myth is a fun fantasy romp where players feel truly heroic. In the playing of the game, the players are creating their own mythos. These stories are the ones carried away from the table, becoming myths themselves. And these are the myths, with friends and family, that we carry with us; telling and retelling our endeavors at the mead benches, earning treasured smiles and laughter.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Re: [Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

Post by Blackhawk »

I've looked at this several times, but there just isn't any way I can manage dropping $100 for a single board game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I hesitated sharing, but after the success of the Reaper Bones thingy, I didn't want to take the chance an interested party would miss out. My board gaming budget for the year has pretty much been blown during the last few weeks. I'm only justifying this now because delivery isn't until January. It's going to be a long, long summer...but I have plenty to work through.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really agonize over this one. On the one hand, it looks great. On the other, I will buy a cork on a stick if there are kickstarter rewards attached to it.

In other words, I spend too damn much!

...but definitely interested in this when it hits retail.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kickstarter is killing me. They keep putting out these amazing products (Zombicide, this, a few others), but the basic games seem to start in the $75-100 range. That's the kind of purchase I have to plan at least a couple of months in advance.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well...Dungeon Roll was an amazing deal for $15, IMHO. I spend more time board gaming now than computer or console gaming, so it's a solid investment. I hope. :wink:

Fortunately for me my buddy is equally as obsessed so we more or less take turns picking up the tab. He's in over his head for Descent 2nd edition stuff, so I feel like it's the least I can do to pick up Myth. And the fact that it's 100% co-op is really the big draw for us. Not sure how "family friendly" is is, but they are suggesting 10 and up on the BGG page. It also seems like something that might be easily expandable with new quest cards and tile sets. I'm hopeful.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I jumped all over Dungeon Roll. I've got plenty of backlog PC games, so I've been spending my, er, discretionary funds on table top games, especially since the kids have gotten old enough to join in.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

minis are cool, but I watched the first couple of gameplay demo videos and I was underwhelmed. I didn't get to the higher layer of mechanics, maybe that makes it better, but the combat looks pretty bland... and that's coming from someone that loves Zombicide.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote:Yeah, I jumped all over Dungeon Roll. I've got plenty of backlog PC games, so I've been spending my, er, discretionary funds on table top games, especially since the kids have gotten old enough to join in.
I always think of dads who play boardgames with their kids to be some of the best pops out there. :wink:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Yeah, I jumped all over Dungeon Roll. I've got plenty of backlog PC games, so I've been spending my, er, discretionary funds on table top games, especially since the kids have gotten old enough to join in.
I always think of dads who play boardgames with their kids to be some of the best pops out there. :wink:
Apparently when I play games with my kids all it does is teaches them to curse.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No...it's the friday night cage matches you hold each week in which we get to bet on which of your offspring will emerge victorious that is the cause of that.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's actually just as well they're so expensive. I'm better off spending money on games that I'll be able to sit down and play with them before next year. My Amazon wishlist certainly has enough in it. Some are just so purty, though! :mrgreen:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

About 48 hours to go and the unlocks just keep on coming. Not sure what they have in store for the final two days, but I'm pretty surprised at the steady climb they've had over the last few weeks.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:minis are cool, but I watched the first couple of gameplay demo videos and I was underwhelmed. I didn't get to the higher layer of mechanics, maybe that makes it better, but the combat looks pretty bland... and that's coming from someone that loves Zombicide.
I am reconsidering, not because the gameplay is looking any better, but because they keep adding more plastic... what has kickstarter done to me?!

...and it's cheaper than Arena Rex.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa...I wasn't aware that the 100 dollar supporters we're getting all those goodies too. :shock:

I'm now reconsidering as well. :oops:
He won. Period.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'm thinking I'm going to get on board for this as my first kickstarter. I dig all the extras you can get at this point and the game looks good to me too. I think I may have caught the spending bug from Hepcat, damn him.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, considering what I carry on a daily basis, it's probably the least harmful bug you could catch from me....
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Holy crap, the sheer volume of figures you get for $100 is insane. I'm tempted to make this my first boardgame kickstarter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote:It's actually just as well they're so expensive. I'm better off spending money on games that I'll be able to sit down and play with them before next year. My Amazon wishlist certainly has enough in it. Some are just so purty, though! :mrgreen:
Listen to yourself. Stop trying to figure out a way to make it work anyway. You can't afford it. Listen to yourself.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I...uh...I just caved. :oops:

In at the 100 dollar level. It was the eyeclops that got me.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Between this and Zombicide S2, I'm nearly certain I've spent more on boardgaming in two months than I have in three years.

I've decided it's my midlife crisis. Not that it helps, but it's something.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:Between this and Zombicide S2, I'm nearly certain I've spent more on boardgaming in two months than I have in three years.

I've decided it's my midlife crisis. Not that it helps, but it's something.
$507 on board games alone on the past two months.

$120 in non-board game projects in that same period.

It's still way less than I could have spent if I had gotten that Veronica Mars speaking part pledge.

I console myself with that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got a little carried away with malifaux as I had to start from scratch with paint supplies and terrain. All told I probably spent about 350 bucks over the space of 2 months. However, I'm at the point now where I can just pick up smaller minis and cheap faction boxes at my leisure. I've got everything I need for malifaux and probably any other minis games I might find interesting in the future.

Myth also caught my eye because of the full coop and the promise of solo play. While I love descent 2nd edition, I miss NOT being a player when I run it. Being able to get down and dirty with the other players is going to be nice.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, at least I can find solace in knowing I'm not alone.

The imaginary people I talk to online are also buying lots of games!

I really am curious to see how high this thing ends up going . It has been a steady climb since last week, but it exploded today.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Smoove_B wrote:The imaginary people I talk to online are also buying lots of games!
I'm adding you to the people I blame for my gaming costs.

The List:
Chaosraven
Hepcat
Smoove_B

Errrr....what I mean to say is I have backed my first kickstarter project. :oops:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo, Minotaur Boss and the metal tokens to pimp out your game are unlocked. I really want this to reach 550k so I can get those extra story quests. No matter how cool the components are, I really would love more story material to extend the game play.

I think I may add the additional story cards, treasure cards and maybe the Skald hero when they open up the pledge manager for options.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Curse my weak will. I'm in.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That $100 price stings a bit, but the amount of figures you get is absurd. For $150? Even more insane. But yeah, like Zombicide, the add ons are killing me.

Treasure and Quest Deck
Skald
Transition Tiles
Agents of Darkness
Spriggan

It's going to be a very, very busy Q4/Q1 2014 in my house.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll piggyback off hepcat's weak will. I haven't painted all zombicide or mice and mystics yet.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's got me thinkin' about starting up a Descent 2nd Edition campaign to tide me over.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They just added three new stretch goals -- not add ons.

650K = Torchbearer follower (KS Exclusive)
750K = Cyclops Boss
800K = Marcus the Ready (Ally)

No details yet, but I imagine they are coming soon. Normally I'd say they're crazy, but they raised over $100K yesterday, so who knows.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Smoove_B wrote:They just added three new stretch goals -- not add ons.

650K = Torchbearer follower (KS Exclusive)
750K = Cyclops Boss
800K = Marcus the Ready (Ally)

No details yet, but I imagine they are coming soon. Normally I'd say they're crazy, but they raised over $100K yesterday, so who knows.
Damn. I want a cyclops boss.
:horse:
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I'd normally be interested in fantasy miniatures, but these look way too stylized to me. I prefer a more realistic look (for the subject material, anyway).
Insert witty comment here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TiLT wrote:I'd normally be interested in fantasy miniatures, but these look way too stylized to me. I prefer a more realistic look (for the subject material, anyway).
That's actually what's kept me from selling my kids and jumping in on this. I like the miniatures, but one benefit of miniatures games is the ability to cannibalize them for RPG sessions.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm trying to keep up with the comments, but I think someone said they're going to announce an RPG setting / sourcebook for this stuff. I agree they definitely have a stylized looks that would make them ill-suited for other games.

EDIT: NM - they are talking about an RPG sourcebook for their other game, MERCS.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm bettin' I get my story cards added shortly. :D

edit: bam!
He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

This game is tempting... but the gameplay I have watched is underwhelming, including the gameplay on BGG (they have more complete videos of gameplay there). I felt like watching a longer video there were a lot of little things to remember (oh you get to reroll that, then use this die, and then oh I have a card here that gets you this...) seems like a lot of little rules to remember and keep straight while playing.

Of course it also could just be that the guy who makes the videos is not great at explaining gameplay. And you can't really get a good feel for a game just watching a video.

All the freebies are tempting, but I have already spent way too much on board games this year, I really wasn't planning on spending any more for a while. But I will admit my willpower is fading on this one.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The amount of stuff you get for the $100 pledge (+$11 over MSRP) is absolutely insane. I have no idea how there's anyone simply pledging at the tier right below when the KS rewards start. I mean seriously, just look.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Smoove_B wrote:The amount of stuff you get for the $100 pledge (+$11 over MSRP) is absolutely insane. I have no idea how there's anyone simply pledging at the tier right below when the KS rewards start. I mean seriously, just look.
Stop it! Why does so much plastic persuade me so much? I mean I am really loving cooperative games right now...