[Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: [Kickstarter] Myth by Mercs Miniatures

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:Then I guess I was the only person in NJ that pledged more than $150 'cause I've got nothing. One again, I'll just defer to Tom Petty.
Was that more than $150 due to add-ons? They did everyone that was over $150 based on the base reward level not counting add-ons.

From Tuesday:
The Archers, Acolytes, and Tricksters were all processed today and went out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. I was at the $150 level...spent way more for addons. :oops:

Haven't received any type of shipping notice though.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Did they confirm the info on your order when the kickstarter was fulfilled?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, just checked everything the pledge manager. I was order #244 that was submitted but it's still listed as "Pending" in the Status column. I guess I'll wait to see if the USPS drops something off today or tomorrow and then email them if not as I fully expect to never receive tracking info from the Postal Service.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't think you understand.
We've shipped the following states and groups.

Everything above Apprentice
APO/FPO - Hooyah!
Alabama
Arkansas
Indiana
Illinois
Kansas
North Dakota
Maryland
Michigan
Ohio
Vermont
Wisconsin
Wyoming
Mostly done:

Massachusetts

We will finish Mass and start Cali today.
New Jersey is not in the list and you aren't above Apprentice = No game for you yet. Apprentice + extras is not "above Apprentice" it is Apprentice.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Need to stop multitasking today. Thanks for explaining it to me like I'm 6. :wink:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got an email from UPS. A shipping label has been printed. That's all the tracking number shows, though the email said delivery Wednesday. I suppose it's possible. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm looking forward to receiving the game later this week, but I still think it's really weird that the heroes are always fighting the Darkness.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

AWS260 wrote:I'm looking forward to receiving the game later this week, but I still think it's really weird that the heroes are always fighting the Darkness.
Start reading the rules and bgg well before you want to play... Lots of issues. I'm talking 6 page threads on bgg clarifying simply leaving a tile problems. No section for setting up the game problems. Also download the pdfs from megacon games website, they really help. Once you start getting what is going on the game really is fantastic so far.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

According to UPS I have two packages headed to me from Indianapolis, one 10.2 pounds arriving today and one 10.1 pounds arriving tomorrow. Both have shipping notification from MERCS and My Choice Delivery Alerts which confirms they are both heading to my house. I thought they had their dupe shipment issue worked out after the first round.

They must really want me to back Recon. :mrgreen:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:According to UPS I have two packages headed to me from Indianapolis, one 10.2 pounds arriving today and one 10.1 pounds arriving tomorrow. Both have shipping notification from MERCS and My Choice Delivery Alerts which confirms they are both heading to my house. I thought they had their dupe shipment issue worked out after the first round.

They must really want me to back Recon. :mrgreen:
Wait, so they mistakenly sent you TWO copies???

Errr... have a home for that other copy... :whistle:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That would be pretty crazy. They said that there were about 50 or so orders on the first day that were accidentally doubled, but that would have been last week and that you could just keep whatever was accidentally sent.

I received shipping info late yesterday - due in my hands tomorrow. My project over the next month or so will be to pick up painting again and start hammering them out. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to get started there are lots of reference shots I can copy from.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

baelthazar wrote:Wait, so they mistakenly sent you TWO copies???
That's the way I am reading it. It could be a mistake.
baelthazar wrote:Errr... have a home for that other copy... :whistle:
:twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Just saying coop, just saying... :mrgreen:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If it turns out I do get an extra copy I am tempted to donate it to the Dallas Games Marathon library. It depends how generous I am feeling... especially with something I could turn around and sell almost instantly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:If it turns out I do get an extra copy I am tempted to donate it to the Dallas Games Marathon library. It depends how generous I am feeling... especially with something I could turn around and sell almost instantly.
Well, I would certainly rather my pre-order money at CSI go to you, if you want to consider selling it. But you could likely get some big $$$ on the eBay post-KS market.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

baelthazar wrote:
coopasonic wrote:If it turns out I do get an extra copy I am tempted to donate it to the Dallas Games Marathon library. It depends how generous I am feeling... especially with something I could turn around and sell almost instantly.
Well, I would certainly rather my pre-order money at CSI go to you, if you want to consider selling it. But you could likely get some big $$$ on the eBay post-KS market.
It's out for delivery so it really seems like it is coming my way. I sent Mercs a message on kickstarter but I have to imagine they get a lot of messages especially during the fulfillment phase.

I don't think I should be profiting off their mistake so I'll give it away. PM me your addres bael and assuming I really get it and they don't ask for it back by tomorrow, I'll see what it costs to ship it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Anyone have their extras yet? Any new word on them?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Remus West wrote:Anyone have their extras yet? Any new word on them?
Haven't heard anything. Don't have mine. Just waiting for them so I can list the whole lot on Ebay and get out from this game.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Remus West wrote:Anyone have their extras yet? Any new word on them?
The product has left China. It was loaded, processed, cleared customs, and we have an estimated arrival of July 24th. This is welcome news indeed. This represents the last of everything needed to fulfill completely the KS for EVERYONE.

The stuff we have in warehouse here should leave for Germany in the next week to week and a half. Basically, all parts and pieces are converging on Germany and should arrive within a week of each other, baring EU customs snafus.

There are 1300 EU orders. It should take about three days to finish. At the same time, Keith and I will be busting out non-EU international orders here. There are about 700. We expect it to take about two days. Afterward, Nikki and Kenny will be back, and entire workforce plus several waves of volunteers will process domestic. The tricky part will be that GENCON happens at this time. Gencon is an all hands on deck kinda show for us.

There will be an opportunity to pickup second wave at GENCON. If you are interested in doing this email Nikki with the subject line Gencon pickup. If you already have emailed her, then there is no need to email again.
So late August/early September for Domestic?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Yeah, sadly that is the same message I received. Really frustrating as I feel like they have a really good game concept and the repeated delays ruining my enthusiasm. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Remus West wrote:Yeah, sadly that is the same message I received. Really frustrating as I feel like they have a really good game concept and the repeated delays ruining my enthusiasm. :(
I hope this is not a bad sign for Mercs Recon.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It was the gameplay that dampened my enthusiasm for Myth. I don't see anything in the second shipment fixing it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After reading through all the improvements/changes/clarifications planned for the "patch" that was released a few weeks ago, I glad I stopped myself from getting invested in the game any more (i.e. trying to learn it) when I first had it back in late March. I still think it's a solid game, but the execution is rather clunky, as released. Now that they're releasing these updates, I'm hoping that over the next three or four months, everything is tightened up to the point where it plays easily. There was a reviewer on BGG that essentially said the game was a good year away from being worthwhile, and quite honestly I think he might have been right. It needs many more waves of testing and clarification, but I still think the basis for a great game is there.

Anyway, it's pretty clear this game could have used way more QC and outside play testing, along with a 3rd party editing the manual and cards. Regardless, I do think the actual game materials (boards, chits, miniatures, etc...) are all top notch so it's not a total bust (at least for me).

Regarding RECON, that's a whole different story because they're just building on an existing game. I'm not worried about RECON at all, in terms of being a playable game but only because I'm familiar with the tabletop rules and game play. Essentially to me, they're working backwards and turning the TT game into a boardgame of sorts. As opposed to creating an entirely new game that's sort of based on an RPG dungeon crawl computer game.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

coopasonic wrote:It was the gameplay that dampened my enthusiasm for Myth. I don't see anything in the second shipment fixing it.
Same. If the game was great I could have stuck around through the mercs crap. But as it is it just isn't good enough to hold my attention. Too many other games I love.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:It was the gameplay that dampened my enthusiasm for Myth. I don't see anything in the second shipment fixing it.
Same. If the game was great I could have stuck around through the mercs crap. But as it is it just isn't good enough to hold my attention. Too many other games I love.
Me too. I think it was the card-driven action system that really killed it for me. I liked the idea, when I first read about it, but the manual was so poorly done that I had no clue as to how card play should be executed. The idea that you can set up your own skirmish/adventure was highly cool to me, but it turned out to be unwieldy. Frankly, I would rather play Descent 2nd Ed's more set-in-stone mission structure.

Smoove, I hope you are right about Recon. I backed it despite Myth's flaws. I think not having the card-driven action system will be a big improvement right of the bat.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Figured I should jump back in to this thread as it's one that comes up on Google searches and at least update my progress. My buddy and I have been painting like crazy over the last three months and playing through random quests using the 2.0 rules and soon to be released modified cards (that have been print and play for months).

I think I understand the game well enough to explain it to others and while I know it's not everyone's bag, I also like it much more than any other co-op dungeon crawl game we've tried. I think it walks the line between a board and miniature game and I can see how that makes people uneasy. Add in the randomness, choice of how you want tiles set up and the lite RPG elements and there are lots of different things potentially going on all at once. I don't really know of any other game that has the same mechanics (deckbuilding + dice rolling), but the characters so far all feel very unique in execution - way more than the dozen times we've played through Descent with various load outs.

This was a setup from a game we played last night after randomly pulling "Drums of the World" from the quest deck:

Enlarge Image

After setting up the larger captain figure to the right with all the minions, a grubber lair was randomly selected and then 6 grubbers spawned around it. The quest setup required that we also roll a bunch of Fate Dice to add random effects (as a result of the the captain playing war drums), which in this case inspired the minions during combat (making them more likely to hit us) and gave them extra movement. A single bug was also spawned as a result, which didn't really bother us.

We figured out that the darkness meter was going to increase rather quickly (based on all the creatures we would need to kill), so we decided to prioritize the lair to stop the game from being able to spawn more minions. It worked great, but it sent my threat through the roof which then had the monster AI try and surround me:

Enlarge Image

Unfortunately for them, my character is designed to deal with these types of situations as quite a few of my cards deal damage to multiple opponents at the same time. We did get lucky with the die rolls, but the Acolyte also generates a ton of threat after healing me - which makes sense. The game AI is smart enough to then prioritize the Acolyte over me (if I don't play the right cards) because he's clearly keeping me standing as I tank through wave after wave of monsters.

Anyway, there is a ton of strategy involved in both movement on the board and the timing of when you play your cards. That's what makes it very interesting and potentially slower than some people might care for. Since I started the thread, I at least figured I should come back and indicate it's absolutely playable and we're enjoying it quite a bit. We haven't even fully tested out all the various character classes and have only touched (I think) four separate unrelated quest cards. The actual system did take some understanding, but now it all clicks and I actually think it's less complicated than many other games we play once you're up and running.

I don't really have an interest to set it up as a free-form killing simulator (Slaughterfield) but with all the Kickstarter content it's a ridiculous amount of game play (and painting). If your box is sitting around all dusty and you haven't read through the 2.0 rules, you might want to give it another look as the updated cards will be officially available in a few months. To be clear, the rules aren't new, they're just reorganized and edited a bit for clarity.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed May 27, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really like what they've done with the 2.0 rules and the updated cards. I was going to sell my copy, but after I read through all the updated material, and sifted through all the content I had, I realized I couldn't part with it.

That doesn't mean I've forgiven them for the cock up release they had though, as well as the downright belligerent responses they had for people who questioned their methods at the time.

I backed the expansion...but just for the updated materials. If they open the pledge manager up to those of us even at the tier though, I may add some of the new character classes.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think backing the second KS at $6 was a bad plan at all and as far as I know you'll be given full access to the pledge manager when that opens -- it was only the $1 pledges that won't gain access. I also don't disagree that the original release was a mess and that the manual needed a few more rounds of editing and some outside play testing.

I personally never saw any of the vitriol but I also know there are professional concern trolls (or more likely sock puppets) over on BGG that were (and still are) out of control. The official Myth forums are a much better resource for information and it didn't surprise me at all when there wasn't a BGG Contest for the second KS. I think the board gaming community really pushed them away, which again I think goes back to the nature of the game - it's sort of a hybrid board/miniature system.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I made the mistake of attempting to defend an aspect of the game I liked after it was released, and was promptly beat up for it on BGG.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:I made the mistake of attempting to defend an aspect of the game I liked after it was released, and was promptly beat up for it on BGG.
That sounds like BGG... where you get burned as a witch for having the slightest hint of disagreement from orthodox belief.

I was disappointed in Myth, but not wholly because of the rules (which could be worked through with some effort). I was more disappointed in the lack of player aid and hand holding - it was sort of like learning to play D&D, largely the execution is totally up to the learner/player to interpret and not delineated in the rules. In a sense, that was what Myth was *designed* to be, but the confusion over timing of card play made the system almost impossible to teach to new players. As a solo "build your own RPG" game, it might have been great, but I did not need or want one of those.

I worry a bit about Mercs still and I vacillate between wishing I had pledged more or not pledged at all. I think, once the game hits, I will have a clear sense if it is a keeper or another chance to use Kickstarter exclusives to make profit on eBay.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote:As a solo "build your own RPG" game, it might have been great, but I did not need or want one of those.
Yup. As a new concept I think it was a mistake to sell it with a completely new ruleset AND as a sandbox-style game. That's the one really good thing that came from all of it though -- the modules for the Journeyman KS are built more like self-contained adventures. You can still free-form a session, but now you'll have the ability to also play a campaign adventure from start to finish.
I worry a bit about Mercs still and I vacillate between wishing I had pledged more or not pledged at all. I think, once the game hits, I will have a clear sense if it is a keeper or another chance to use Kickstarter exclusives to make profit on eBay.
Clearly I know I'm biased but I'm not worried about Recon. They're using that module-based game play on a system that already exists (the table-top version of the Mercs rules). This is just a board-gamification of an existing system. I will be absolutely crushed if it's not solid upon delivery (though still happy that I have all the figures I need for TT play). Even if you hate the game, the plastic figures absolutely have value for TT gamers. Just as the Myth figures will eventually have additional value when they release more information about what looked like a TT ruleset/game for Myth armies.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pulled another random quest tonight and figured we would try the Apprentice (Mage) and Archer. It did not work out quite as well as our previous attempts with the Acolyte and Solider. We were overwhelmed rather quickly and a combination of bad rolls, repeated spawning Mucker captains and overall squishy nature of our characters had us both killed long before the quest goal (kill 20 minions).

Both the Apprentice and Archer are completely different to play than the Solider and Acolyte. From what we can gather, if you're only playing two characters, that's the pair to use. We're going to experiment and see if any one else works with the Solider, but in terms of cutting through waves of minions? No one has come close to him. I guess in that respect it's very much like classic D&D -- you simply need that fighter to draw attention and take a beating.

We're still playing with the training wheels on (i.e. keeping the tiles as easy as possible and using basic monsters), but I'm feeling pretty confident about understanding everything now and really getting into the strategy elements.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Glad to see you are enjoying the game still. It had so much promise but just burned me out during the initial rules fiasco. Someday I would like to play it again with someone who really understand the rules. I think it could be a blast with the right group and understanding of how to play.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, we were very nervous it wasn't going to come together but it's the perfect type of game for what we're looking for. There's a lot of table talk, the monster AI makes sense and the mix of cards and dice keep things moving along. Here's a good shot of the quest setup we had for last night:

Enlarge Image

We did find a game play summary card that was helpful to keep us focused and to make sure we followed all the steps, but it's more of a backup reference at this point.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Played a game on Friday night with the new official 2.0 rules and cards. We still need to iron out a few of the changes that are in place, but overall I think it worked. This was also the first time we played with three people, so the dynamics were quite different and the Darkness was activating like crazy. This was also the first time we used allies (the quest required escorting two priests across the map safely) and had a mini-boss spawn. This was the first time we decided to go with multiple lairs and the quest card also added two wandering monster parties. We knew we needed to take out the lairs as quickly as possible, but unfortunately they both activated before we could take out even a single one, so things escalated rather fast.

Enlarge Image

With the two priest allies, they actually were quite helpful in eliminating minions and with my distraction arrow (it generates threat and minions are more likely to target it than the heroes) we were able to cut through minions quite fast. You can see all the grubbers making a b-line towards my distraction arrow in the picture below, running towards the top right corner of the map to see what is making all the noise and ignoring us completely. However, the darkness deck on the third activation actually spawned Keesi and Og -- the mini boss. With our starter gear I'm pretty sure the only thing that saved us was bad rolls during his attacks. It absolutely took a concentrated, focused effort to chip away and finally kill him.

Enlarge Image

I think we're going to continue to just draw random quests and make sure we're clear on the rules before we tackle either the Fury of the Fireborne or Rise of the Revenant campaigns. We still have a bunch of painting to do, but we certainly have enough to be playable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like our second edition reprints of cards and stuff should be going out as soon as they close the pledge manager for this...which is supposed to open soon for 30 days.

So...come on, pledge manager. I'm chomping at the bit to try out the new rules, dagnabit.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There was a picture this morning on their FB of the open warehouse door, possibly suggesting the Recon delivery was coming in...but that's just 100% speculation on my part.

We haven't really jumped into the officially updated rules, but there were some minor changes. If you haven't been watching the Urban Myth fan-created videos, they're quite helpful. I was actually toying with the idea of trying to create a campaign adventure after reading through the Fury of the Fireborne module. Playing the game now a few times a month for the last 4+ months has tickled my old-school dungeon master creative mood. I feel like with all of our tiles, chits and painted miniatures I might be able to create something.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do the folks making the Urban Myth videos use second edition rules/materials?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The videos they've published so far do not conflict with the official rules released last week. They're really just clarifying things and providing examples of mechanics and were using the "beta" 2.0 rules that were provided to everyone earlier this year. They have the support of the developers and I believe they submit the videos to them as a courtesy for approval prior to release. That's what is really unfortunate about all this. The 2.0 rules are really just the original rules written better. The game hasn't changed, they just made things easier to understand.