[Kickstarter] Galaxy Defenders 1 & 2

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Chrisoc13

[Kickstarter] Galaxy Defenders 1 & 2

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I saw Galaxy Defenders is up on kickstarter now. It looks rather interesting. It seems to have all the elements of a successful kickstarter campaign: add-ons, lots of stretch goals probable, cool looking miniatures, and an interesting theme. I've been enjoying co-op games a lot recently.

I am in for now on early bird. Not sure if I will actually stay pledged, it is a lot of money and I am sure the extras will start piling up like they do, but I might as well hold my place as an early bird for now.

Edit- thought I would add it started today and has already almost reached full funding. It looks like within a few hours it will.
Last edited by Chrisoc13 on Wed May 28, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Re: Yet another interesting kickstarter- Galaxy Defenders

Post by Smoove_B »

Uh...some of those KS Exclusive characters look like they're asking for legal team nightmares.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:Uh...some of those KS Exclusive characters look like they're asking for legal team nightmares.
Yeah, first thought I had too.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Smoove_B wrote:Uh...some of those KS Exclusive characters look like they're asking for legal team nightmares.
Yeah I wondered the same thing. But zombicide went crazy with look-a-likes which I was surprised about too. Of course they were more in the realm of famous people and characters from movies which may not be trademarked like I am assuming some of the exclusive characters in this game are.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Looks like they have already thought about it. Out of curiosity I posted a comment asking about it. Their response:
@Chrisoc13 - as Adam said, the figures are reminiscent of popular characters and villains from movies and such - but no more than, for example, a lot of Zombicide characters are - or Space Hulk's Genestealers, for another example
We are of course steering clear of trademarks and trademarked designs.
And if you look well at each of them, the likenesses are not the same as any other imaginary character they may remind you of.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

And if you look well at each of them, the likenesses are not the same as any other imaginary character they may remind you of.
Uh-huh.

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

AWS260 wrote:

Uh-huh.

It's all in your mind. They look nothing like any characters from other sci-fi works. Nothing!

See how different that is?

( :wink: in case anyone missed it)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wow. Not sure where they are living, but there isn't a single person that's seen the Predator, Alien, or AvP movies that is going to mistake those figures...

And probably a lot of people that never even saw the movies.

They are crazy if they think that those don't look anything like existing imaginary characters.

Or maybe they think Predators and Aliens aren't imaginary....? :shock:

:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing the lawyers for Fox are going to nuke that Kickstarter game from orbit.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Kickstarter for a legal defense fund. Zombicide has a well established post apocalyptic meme to exploit. This might not be the same by any means.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

So did anyone else end up backing this one?

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. I've played a couple of solo missions (with only one character) and lost horribly, but the game feels right and it has been fun trying :)
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

freelunch wrote:So did anyone else end up backing this one?

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. I've played a couple of solo missions (with only one character) and lost horribly, but the game feels right and it has been fun trying :)
Yep, I ended up getting it. Played about 10 games of it already. I have really enjoyed it so far. The only thing I'm not a fan of is sometimes the rules are a bit hard to fully grasp or get right. But the miniatures look great and the feel of the game is great, really like playing x-com in board game fashion. I especially like the campaign mechanism. I'm quite happy with my decision to back it.

I was also quite pleasantly surprised that there was no legal action with the obvious movie look a likes. I was certain there would be. But now that the game is out I rather am enjoying playing with Robocop, aliens and predators etc.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Season 2 of Galaxy defenders is up now on Kickstarter. I have really been enjoying the original game so I am backing this and getting everything for it.

Lots of stuff looks really cool as additions to the game, including new classes (psionic for example) and armor for the classes we already have:
I really like the new upgrades, power armor, and power suits.

They also are adding master aliens (which looks to be pretty large based off the images) and NPC in the game. Cool addition to a co-op board game, I'm a fan of it.

I was very skeptical of the project during the first go around, but I must say everything was delivered as advertised and the minis are great. Most importantly the game plays really well and I have found it to be really good for solo play too. Most importantly the rules work because you know... they play tested it unlike another game I backed about the same time on Kickstarter that will now be going to Ebay once everything finally arrives...

The big thing I don't like this time is the same thing I didn't like last time: some of the KS exclusive aliens are rip-offs of movies (well at first glance maybe only one this time). Except this time it is much, much worse, and much, much more stupid:

I really am not a fan of these types of aliens or gimmicks of this nature... personally in the original game I think the more "original" aliens are much more cool and thematic. But people on KS love these type of things, Zombicide goes crazy with them as well. Recon just put a bunch in too so they must be popular. This one is especially bad though IMO. I will say though as much as I didn't care for the alien/predator minis in the first campaign the special missions designed around them are really pretty fun so I undoubtedly will and up being ok with this one too.

I'm in for this one. I managed to get the early bird 1 moon pledge level ($179 for everything including all optional add-ons) and it already is a great deal. I really like the way they are including all optional add-ons up front. Yes this will limit the amount of money this campaign makes without countless add-ons driving up the pledge total, but it also means I already know the final price I am going to pay to get everything. That's how I roll after all on these KS, I generally try and get everything because I have a sickness. I'm willing to admit that I am a completionist though.

There are still some early bird spots available, though it looks like now they are up to 190 or 195. Not a bad deal IF it is a game you are already interested.

They were funded this time within 5 minutes and have almost managed to hit their total from last time already. I think the game has been well received and has surprised lots of people, more people on-board this time around.

Edit: I changed the title of the thread to fit more the standard for KS threads
Isgrimnur

Re: [Kickstarter] Galaxy Defenders 1 & 2

Post by Isgrimnur »

RE: Xeno-Lord

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yeah I was surprised they were not sued last time. This one is now Disney... seems they are even more likely to sue. Also... it's just plain ugly.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Why do you make me do this?!? I skipped out on the original kickstarter, when apparently it was the game I was supposed to back instead of Myth. I bought it last month but haven't finished reading the rules yet and now this comes along. I guess I have 19 days to decide if I like the base game!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote:Why do you make me do this?!? I skipped out on the original kickstarter, when apparently it was the game I was supposed to back instead of Myth. I bought it last month but haven't finished reading the rules yet and now this comes along. I guess I have 19 days to decide if I like the base game!
And there's a pledge level that caters just for you with all the Galaxy Defenders goodness you can handle.

I did the Earth pledge because I completely forgot the Kickstarter was opening on the 28th and missed out on the lower Moon price.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I need a KS intervention. But at least I held off from the Moon pledge, and since most of the stuff is not KS-exclusive, it will be available piecemeal later. Between this and add-ons for Mercs Recon, I think I am cut off from game purchases.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I need to be cut off from our bank account as well. I went all in on this one. But the only one I am doing later this year is zombicide season 3. I'm going to hold off on all other kick starters after those two though...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:I guess I have 19 days to decide if I like the base game!
I like the base game.

Damn but it can be hard as hell though.

I played through two missions this weekend, three if you count the fact I started over after failing the first mission the first time. It really is very much like X-COM: The Board Game. There are a lot of interesting things going on here, with the ammo management, weapon malfunction, devices, tactics, skills, signal movement, creature AI, regenerating armor, regenerating enemies and more. The unpredictabiltiy of the enemies due to the Close Encounters deck is very cool. You never know which enemy is going to activate next.

The first mission is hard and I couldn't work out a way to get full success there. I had to accept partial success. Clearing the last teleport point when it is the only place signals have to spawn is a bitch. The Hulk's charge would work, but it's not possible to have that until the second scenario. Clearing mobs the turn they spawn tough and if two spawn, good luck. I tried to bait them around the back, but that just got the Xeno-Alpha who is a bitch with 4 red dice+rerolls.

If anything the second mission is harder. Those rooms are small. At one point I had a room full with my 3 agents, 3 aliens and a scientist. You have to kill two aliens to get some unengaged to rescue the scientist. The you kill one of the mobs that does 2 damage to adjacent agents on death. I managed a success but lost my biotech in the process. In two missions I got three improved weapons. 2 for characters I wasn't using and the healing weapon for the biotech. The only improvement on the healing weapon is range. Thanks a lot.

The really good news is this replaces 4 games for me. Myth and the D&D board games (ravenloft, drizzt, ashardalon). I guess that makes up for the kickstarter a bit. I'm sticking with my moon pledge.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

coopasonic wrote: The really good news is this replaces 4 games for me. Myth and the D&D board games (ravenloft, drizzt, ashardalon). I guess that makes up for the kickstarter a bit. I'm sticking with my moon pledge.
I agree with this statement. coop, if you bring your copy to BGG.con, we can play. I doubt the library copy will be easy to acquire.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That can certainly be arranged. Conveniently I will also be bringing the 4 games it replaces... to the Virtual Flea Market event.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: The really good news is this replaces 4 games for me. Myth and the D&D board games (ravenloft, drizzt, ashardalon). I guess that makes up for the kickstarter a bit. I'm sticking with my moon pledge.
I feel the same way, although I would say Five games and include Gears of War. I had a Moon pledge at $195, but I just could not justify that expense with other things I have coming up. This morning, however, I went to cancel my pledge and saw that a $99 Early Bird Earth pledge opened up. At that level, I'm confident I am getting a good deal on the expansions and getting a few extra things. The only thing I might add later would be the original Agents NPC cards/minis. Although, given that I like to solo multiple characters, I do not know if NPCs are a big draw for me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No end of KS bump on this at all... and I am not helping. I just dropped down to an open $110 spot at the earth level. The moon stuff just wasn't doing it for me. Still watching from time to time for a $99 slot to open up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

High buy in and it's an expansion. I think everyone who wanted it got in day one. The last one didn't do great either. Something else is turning people off from it which is too bad because anyone who has played it with me has loved it.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Chrisoc13 wrote:High buy in and it's an expansion. I think everyone who wanted it got in day one. The last one didn't do great either. Something else is turning people off from it which is too bad because anyone who has played it with me has loved it.
Turning people off? 265k? Unless I'm misunderstanding, we have different definitions of "turned off".
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

SpaceLord wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:High buy in and it's an expansion. I think everyone who wanted it got in day one. The last one didn't do great either. Something else is turning people off from it which is too bad because anyone who has played it with me has loved it.
Turning people off? 265k? Unless I'm misunderstanding, we have different definitions of "turned off".
I would say yes we do have different definitions. I'm looking at this in the context of being a minis coop game on it's second run in ks.

I think it's a success don't get me wrong. But in the greater context of other games of this style it has under performed IMO. Miniature cooperative games on kick starter generally have huge last days and many of them easily eclipse 250K for the first ks. Then the sequels break one million plus easy. This one is surprising to me because it is an excellent game and has everything backers look for in a game yet it struggles to get the huge surges other games get.

I'm very happy with where it is at. Don't get me wrong I am. But yes compared to similar kick starters I think there is something keeping mass amounts of people from buying in. Maybe it is the theme, maybe the high buy I'm cost, maybe the art style I don't know. But I expected more. Either way I love this game and can't wait for more.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It is actually DOWN on the last day. That is definitely unusual. I guess it has to be the high buy-in for newcomers and the fact it is just expansions... and 2 at once.

It's just odd after watching so many games smash through stretch goes in the last 24 hours and this one is completely flat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

... and I just snagged a $99 slot. $61 of that $96 goes to XenoShyft. Hey it's like free money!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:... and I just snagged a $99 slot. $61 of that $96 goes to XenoShyft. Hey it's like free money!
Hopefully it was mine. I canceled last night because I put an offer on a house! But my buddy is getting a galaxy pledge, so I look forward to playing his copy (about time he invested instead of me)!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

According to Kicktraq it dropped $5,317 in the last day but only lost 10 backers. That a lot of people moving down from Moon to Earth. Of course you can assume they did it because the stretch goals weren't getting hit... then the company unlocks most of the stretch goals anyway.

On the flipside, XenoShyft has picked up $65k and 600 backers in the past 3 days (7 hours to go). On a $/backer basis I don't quite understand that given there is only the $50 pledge level available. It must be existing backers adding money for add-ons (or multiple copies).

The two of them cover about half the banner ads I have seen on BGG this week. Yes, I leave the ads on despite being a supporter so I can see the KS ads that you guys barely talk about anymore.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:According to Kicktraq it dropped $5,317 in the last day but only lost 10 backers. That a lot of people moving down from Moon to Earth. Of course you can assume they did it because the stretch goals weren't getting hit... then the company unlocks most of the stretch goals anyway.

On the flipside, XenoShyft has picked up $65k and 600 backers in the past 3 days (7 hours to go). On a $/backer basis I don't quite understand that given there is only the $50 pledge level available. It must be existing backers adding money for add-ons (or multiple copies).

The two of them cover about half the banner ads I have seen on BGG this week. Yes, I leave the ads on despite being a supporter so I can see the KS ads that you guys barely talk about anymore.
I, too, leave the ads. You have to remember, people can type any amount of money they want then they back. So it could be that Galaxy Defenders got some people jump in with huge numbers to inflate the Unlocks, then bailed at the last moment to a more reasonable amount.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Might as well necro this thread about galaxy defenders so as not to clog up the kickstarter thread with galaxy defenders stuff.

I've been reading the rules for the expansions during my breaks today. Tried to unpack everything last night but it became obvious quickly that I need to come up with a new storage solution. I don't hate the inserts that came with the boxes, but I certainly don't love them. 4 boxes of galaxy defenders stuff is too much. My goal is to get it all down to 2 boxes if possible. I fear that it isn't though since the boards alone fill an entire box, so realistically 3 will be the best I can do.

The new stickers are fantastic to mark the multiple aliens. Big fan of that. I also love the guide on inserting kickstarter aliens into missions, I'll be doing that all along with a nice mix of alien types.

While reading the rule book it's apparent that I really should be playing this game as a campaign. I've done a little of that previously with the base set but primarily what I did was play random missions with people. I've decided now to use this as my solo game and play through the whole campaign, and all the ks missions. Should be a good time!

What stopped me before (besides the fact that getting a regular group to agree to play gd every week was impossible) was I would get discouraged when troops died and someone had to replace them at the lowest level. So what I'll do this time is when a troop dies I'll replace them then put them at the level of the least experienced soldier. Should make it more fun. And really that's all gaming is about.

I've also decided to use the stance rules, human view and high impact rules. I'll likely just throw in all the bells and whistles.

I started a solo campaign last year and got 3 or so missions in. I'll probably pick up there and try and play one or two a month and see where that gets me. Maybe I'll even name my troops so I get a little more attached to them... Hmm... That's what I do in xcom and it works...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Same here. I want to fire up a campaign in solo mode, but maybe add in NPCs to fill out my squads. I'll definitely throw in all the new rules though. It's gone from a slightly heavier lightweight game to a solid medium weight game with the addition of stances, flight/burrowing, etc.. And that's fine by me.

One of my biggest likes in the new rules are lethal and critical wounds. The latter mirrors crippling effects, to a small degree. It reminds me a bit of status cards in Conflict of Heroes.

Did you get the stand up doors and windows? It's a small addition, but I really like the extra oomph it lends the maps. I picked up those and the Xeno Lord boss as extras for my earth pledge.
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I have little to no self control so yeah I picked up the Windows and doors. I picked up everything actually.

The new stuff does add complexity but I'm ok with it too. Especially as a solo game.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Chrisoc13 wrote:I started a solo campaign last year and got 3 or so missions in. I'll probably pick up there and try and play one or two a month and see where that gets me. Maybe I'll even name my troops so I get a little more attached to them... Hmm... That's what I do in xcom and it works...
And then, you can do an AAR on it for the rest of us to enjoy, and draft OO'ers to be your people (maybe OO'ers you know rather than the random people who rarely post like me - though, you know, people like me are good for your red shirt types that you aren't going to remember/care about the names of anyway... ).

:D
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Managed to play a couple of games now with all the new stuff. But... I'm not playing the new missions so the stuff I am using from the latest kickstarter is minimal.

Things I have used from the second kickstarter:
- Stances, these are nice and easy to implement. And they add a nice level of strategy.
- NCPs I'm using the optional rule where a human signal is replaced by an NPC signal. It's worked really well so far. It might have made one of the missions easier, but it added some real fun.
- All skills, tactics, devices, and improved weapons. They are not all useful at this point, but I just figured mix them all ion together.
- Agents from the kickstarer and expansions

My solo campaign which I last played last summer was 5 missions in, having just successfully completed mission 5. So I picked up where I left off. My team after mission 5 had been ravaged, consisting now of only agent mercury (infiltrator), agent G-droid (biotech), and agent titanium (Hulk). I wanted a 4th agent for mission 6, so I added agent scandium, who was a promo in the most recent kickstarter.

With my team assembled I started mission 6. I have to say it was much, much quicker than I expected. My agents had absolutely no problem quickly dispatching the aliens. Right away I put my hulk into a position to take a battering. He was soon joined by agent scandium.

With the major aliens being stuck fighting Agent Titanium and Scandium Agent G-droid and Infiltrator cleaned up the signals and all that was left was to clean up the aliens.

The mission took less than 30 minutes with some simple mop-up duty. Nothing serious. The next mission wouldn't be nearly as easy.

For getting a complete mission accomplished in mission 6 next up was mission 8.

Mission 8- visitors was much more challenging, and proved to be slightly more devastating. The mission started simply enough. I took the same squad as on the previous mission. The mission was simple: get into the alien ship, incapacitate the green xenon-grey and get his body out before the event deck ran out. Seemed simple enough. The agents start spread out through 2 full tiles. The first step was to regroup.

On one tile Titanium regrouped with agent scandium. On another tile agent mercury regrouped with G-droid who had dropped a vigil drone to assist. With that it was straightforward marching into the one entrance of the spaceship to achieve my goal. As luck would have it one signal spawned as an NPC and the bioarmor was randomly drawn as my NPC character. This proved to be extremely fortuitous as it spawned right in front of the blue nexus which was guarding the entrance to the spaceship. The nexus has -2 hits for human weapons so my agents would have really struggled against it. Luckily the bioarmor NPC counts as alien weapons and so it was able to do a number on the nexus.

The bioarmor was eventually defeated, but not before it had taken the nexus overall health down from 10 to 5, which is a huge help in the fight.

After the bioarmor was defeated it was exactly the same time as the other agents reached the entrance to the spaceship. Even with the nexus half down with health it was a monster to take down with it's -2 hits from human weapons. Hard to land hits. I was also playing with the rules that if the agents roll 2 or more alien heads at any time a new kickstarter exclusive alien drawn randomly would appear and teleport. Just as I was entering the spaceship agent mercury rolled two aliens and a xenon-swarm spawned in the back of the spaceship which would prove to complicate matters.

The agents were bogged down. With concentrated fire the nexus was finally destroyed, making room for agent mercury to sneak behind everyone and start the search for the device which would pacify the green xenon-grey. The search took a while, but eventually it was found, and agent mercury was able to incapacitate the xenon-grey. But all was not well. The event cards started being considerably difficult to handle. Every available alien was spawned.

My agents were able to bog down the aliens in the middle leaving the backend of the ship open for agent mercury to escape with the free xenon-grey. It wasn't pretty. The G-droid was using every turn to simply heal the huge number of hits he was taking. The hulk had his main weapon jam and was relegated to only his secondary weapon. But agent scandium had the worst of it. She was trapped up against a door with constant attacks and no way to heal.

Eventually the aliens were able to get to agent mercurial she was trying to sneak around the back. But the hulk was ready with his charge skill which he used to disengage the enemies and then drag the green xenon-grey out of the spaceship for victory. But it was a bit too late for one agent. Agent scandium was stuck for most of the battle with a xenon swarm on one side, xenon-alphas on the other, and xenon-betas shooting from a distance. She was valiant, but eventually the dice failed her and she ended up being eliminated.

In the process a second NPC was drawn (because that many signals were gone through that the pool was recreated). This NPC proved to be less than helpful. In fact at several points was actually impeding the mission by blocking the way of agent mercury forcing the hulk to finish the extraction job.

Even with the loss of one agent the mission was a success. The next mission appears to be even more daunting though. Next up is mission 10: Galaktica.