[Kickstarter] Arena Rex - Gladius type game in minis!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

[Kickstarter] Arena Rex - Gladius type game in minis!

Post by hentzau »

Damn you Tommy, for pointing this out to me!

Gladius is one of my all time favorite console games. And it seems pretty obvious that these guys were fans too.

Link to Kickstarter

Only 50 some hours to go.

I love the combat trees that can have different effects depending on the character. And the exhaustion system and crowd favor system both seem really cool.

It is VERY pricey. Especially for unpainted resin. I see the arguments against it.

But the combat looks really cool. And it really is giving off a Gladius vibe. If you buy into it now, you're paying about $17 a fig vs $23 a fig retail.

If this was in plastic it would be a no-brainer.

GAH!!!
Last edited by hentzau on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
TiLT

Re: [Kickstarter] Arena Rex - Gladius type game in minis!

Post by TiLT »

I'm not going to back this (for once), but those minis are awesome! They'd be absolutely perfect for a Dark Sun game.
Insert witty comment here.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

That really looks cool. But I think I'm a bit stretched for cash now. Hopefully I can hold out and not pledge...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

30 minutes to go. Guess I'll give it a pass. Sure looks fun, but the more I look at it the more I can't stomach the cost.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:30 minutes to go. Guess I'll give it a pass. Sure looks fun, but the more I look at it the more I can't stomach the cost.
Same. I thought about it but I really can't spend any more money on games for a while.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The minis in that game look amazing. So detailed. I'd love to see what good painters come up with.

EDIT: Checked out the whole Kickstarter page and Im even more impressed with their minis. Amazing.

One thing Im not clear in the least on.....just how do they decide how they move on their turns? Theres no squares or hexes or anything for them to control their movements. Do they just move where they want somehow? That part isn't clear in the least to me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
raydude

Post by raydude »

Seems like almost every kickstarter minis game is fantasy based. Which is why I save my money for those that aren't.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I would love a Gradius type game in minis.
Black Lives Matter.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

El Guapo wrote:I would love a Gradius type game in minis.
Gradius or Gladius? Two very different games...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hentzau wrote:
Black Lives Matter.
The Rocketman

Post by The Rocketman »

El Guapo wrote:
hentzau wrote:
Isn't that just awesome box art? I still remember being 8 years old and picking this up in the store for my dad to buy for me.

Unfortunately I just wasn't very good at it, and only got to the 2nd level or so. But that box art sure made me dream of glorious space combat :D
skystride

Post by skystride »

For a second I got excited thinking this might be a Gladius 2 kickstarter :(
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So I've been checking up on this one since the KS finished up, and they are finally starting to deliver some of the minis.

And from what is posted comments wise in the KS forum, folk's aren't real happy. Very fragile, brittle castings, with lots of bubble pockmarks.

That's too bad. It really looked like a great idea for a game.

[Edit] I went back and did some further checking, and it looks like there was one main guy complaining, but a few others that said they were great. So, maybe all is well. If not overpriced.