Indie game about making and selling games piracy prank

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

LordMortis

Indie game about making and selling games piracy prank

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/ ... of-piracy/" target="_blank

In their leaked version of the game pirates and leeches ultimately destroy the profitability of the games being developed.

Apparently the leeches hate this aspect of the game.
Why are there so many people that pirate? It ruins me!
Is there some way to avoid that? I mean can I research DRM or something …

Anyhoo, that was smile for the day.
hepcat

Re: Indie game about making and selling games piracy prank

Post by hepcat »

In the article I read on Qto3 they noted that well over 90 percent of people playing it were playing the pirated version and not the 8 dollar full title or even the demo. I really can't fault developers for trying to find a way to have DRM in their games in light of those kind of facts.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote:In the article I read on Qto3 they noted that well over 90 percent of people playing it were playing the pirated version and not the 8 dollar full title or even the demo. I really can't fault developers for trying to find a way to have DRM in their games in light of those kind of facts.
That still pre-supposes that the cracked users would ever buy the game if that was their only way in. I like the joke he played, though, and hopes he finds enough people willing to pay to work on new projects.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think I played the Kairosoft version -- Game Dev Story.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: That still pre-supposes that the cracked users would ever buy the game if that was their only way in.
The problem with this reasoning is that it also seems to make the assumption that if someone wasn't going to buy a game, it's okay to pirate it then. They shouldn't be playing a pirated version...period. No quantifiers should be added to that statement at all.

Edit: i don't believe you're actually saying this, but I see that same argument used over and over again when folks bring up that point about pirates actually buying a game.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

stessier wrote:
hepcat wrote:In the article I read on Qto3 they noted that well over 90 percent of people playing it were playing the pirated version and not the 8 dollar full title or even the demo. I really can't fault developers for trying to find a way to have DRM in their games in light of those kind of facts.
That still pre-supposes that the cracked users would ever buy the game if that was their only way in. I like the joke he played, though, and hopes he finds enough people willing to pay to work on new projects.
Sure they may not have bought this specific game, but I have a hard time believing they wouldn't buy more game than they now do if they had no ability to pirate. And some of them undoubtedly would have bought this game.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote:
stessier wrote: That still pre-supposes that the cracked users would ever buy the game if that was their only way in.
The problem with this reasoning is that it also seems to make the assumption that if someone wasn't going to buy a game, it's okay to pirate it then. They shouldn't be playing a pirated version...period. No quantifiers should be added to that statement at all.

Edit: i don't believe you're actually saying this, but I see that same argument used over and over again when folks bring up that point about pirates actually buying a game.
Yeah, I don't believe in piracy in general or that it was okay for them to steal it because they never would have paid anyway.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Sure they may not have bought this specific game, but I have a hard time believing they wouldn't buy more game than they now do if they had no ability to pirate. And some of them undoubtedly would have bought this game.
That's true - if there was a way to make all piracy impossible - not just hard, but physically impossible - then I'm sure some more games would have been sold, including this one. But I think it has to be all or it won't work as the pirates will always drift to cracked/free games even if they are less fun.