Dungeon Crawl Classic

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Arkon

Dungeon Crawl Classic

Post by Arkon »

So, after playing a bit of Dungeon Crawl Classic with a group on Quarter to Three, and reading the excellent blog by Jason Lutes from Broken Forum of the session he is running, I have been inspired to risk massive ridicule by running my very own adventure. The time has come to get the ball rolling and officially plan this out. Official planning is being done in my thread on Broken Forum: Main Thread on Broken Forum

The sessions will be run via http://roll20.net/ and voice chat will be handled by the integrated voice support. I have a subscription for Roll20, however the service is completely free (I simply wanted to support the site), but everyone who plans on playing will need to create an account. From the early feedback I got on Broken Forum, it looks like Wednesday evenings are going to be the best bet. I am on eastern time, depending on time zones we have represented I would like to start our sessions somewhere between 8 and 9 PM, the closer to 8 we can do the better, with the intention on limiting the sessions to between 2 and 3 hours.

For the opening 0-level funnel, I have decided to go with an adventure from Purple Sorcerer Games called Madazkan's Court, which I have chosen to "rebrand" to The Court of the Mad Wizard. In order to play, each player will begin by rolling up a sheet of 4 0-level characters. To roll up your characters, please use the character generator from Purple Sorcerer Games, which can be found at: http://purplesorcerer.com/create.htm. Please use option awesome, and feel free to compulsively roll and reroll until you get a sheet you like, and then save the PDF. Some players prefer to go with the luck of the draw and take the first sheet, however I will admit that when I rolled up my players for the game on Quarter To Three, I spent quite a while trying to get a sheet that had characters in line with what I was hoping to play. Be warned however, that DCC is a rather deadly system, you will loose some of your characters, however those that survive, well they will be able to be called adventurers and choose a class. Once your characters have been rolled up, please name them and provide the PDF in the thread over on Broken Forum. We will hold off on choosing alignment until we are through the first session, and perhaps a bit beyond. I find it is difficult to choose an alignment until you see how your character ends up playing out within the group dynamics.

While I can't speak highly enough about the quality of the core rulebook, do not feel compelled to purchase it unless you want to. For the 0-level funnel, the following PDF has all the charts you need: http://purplesorcerer.com/0_charts.pdf.

For those wanting to play, please reply to the thread over on Broken Forum so I can get an official count, and let me know for sure about times. If we can get this put together quickly enough I wouldn't mind trying to start this week (May 8th). In addition once you have your character sheet, add it to the thread with the character names.

We currently have 3 people interested (Kadnod from Gaming Trend and 2 folks from Broken Forum), but I would like at least 1 more, preferably 2 more.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
LordMortis

Re: Dungeon Crawl Classic

Post by LordMortis »

Can't do it but it looks fun. Would love to see some AAR.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Sounds like it would be a ton of fun. Sadly, I coach Wednesday nights and even if I didn't classes (as a student) are going to fill most of my free evenings through mid-June. Hope you get a fun group though. I miss doing some role playing.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

LordMortis wrote:Can't do it but it looks fun. Would love to see some AAR.
Here is the write up from Jason Lutes, that is really good, for his 0-Level funnel.

http://lampblackandbrimstone.blogspot.c ... art-1.html
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

My group gave it a first try last night. It was really fun. We used random characters generated from here - Get rollin'!

It's SOOOOOOO much easier creating a pool of random zero level guys than having to agonize over and try to min/max your "build" and all the BS that has crept into RPGs these days.

We just played the zero level module in the back of the book. There were plenty of deaths, a good time was had by some PCs and all participants. IMO beekeeper and chandler are not quality adventuring classes. However, they are good for door-testing and "go touch that"-ing. :)
There is no hug button. Sad!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Redrun or Remus West need to go out and buy this. My interest is totally piqued
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:Redrun or Remus West need to go out and buy this. My interest is totally piqued
You can nount on my not even having time to look into it until after June, at which point you and I will both have forgotten about it so you'd better alert redrun.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

So our 0-level funnel has finished...a total of 20 commoners set out with a mission to return with a prize of great wealth from the ruins of the Sunken City. What returned was a ragtag group of 12, weary, yet lucky that their losses weren't considerably higher (damn my rule of rolling my dice out in the open in front of players...I had horrible rolls!).

And now as the free company, now known as "The Order of the Slug", celebrates in the tavern of Old Soily, the taste of fame, wealth and power is drawing them onward, to further explore the ruins of the Sunken City.