GenCon 2013

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zarathud

GenCon 2013

Post by Zarathud »

So hepcat and I will be going this year and registration opens this weekend. Who else will be there?

If all goes well with Registration, I will be playing lots of Eclipse and Paranoia, with a side helping of Junta and Kobolds Ate My Baby! However, I have never had much luck with GenCon's registration system so I expect to be trying to fill slots.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Re: GenCon 2013

Post by Holman »

I'll be there again this year. I had a blast last year (my first GenCon).

Maybe we could try an OO meetup?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let's set something up for after hours in the board game room one night (or more), or after hours in the bar for some gaming. I always keep a few smaller games with me in my man purse.
Covfefe!
Seppe

Post by Seppe »

I will be there. My son and a friend of his will be there also. I will probably let them do their own thing a couple days, and spend the other 2 with them.

A meetup in the board game room would be great. Skull & Roses awaits.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skull and Roses at a brew pub. Now THAT would be fun.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Only if your oldest friends show up again to bluff you into oblivion, hepcat.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was...painful.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tommy and I will most likely do a day trip there again. Probably Thursday or Friday.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Outrageous bluffing and a pint would soothe the pain.

I have a feeling I'll end up playing Eclipse and zombicide again in the board game room. Hope to play Terra Mystica, too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Although I will say Gencon's boardgame room was horrible last year compared to the fantastic amount of space provided to us by Origins. I'm hoping they change the location this year. Having a line of people waiting to get in because of limited capacity was frustrating.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Every year I promise myself I'll try to go, and every year I fail to pull it off. Hell, it's only two hours away. I used to drive to Indy for freaking doctors' appointments.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We could dress as Luke and Leia! Come on, man! Zarathud's getting tired of the two hours it takes to get that bun shape in his wig anyway.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nah, Fat Male Leia has already been done.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, but he wasn't fabulous.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I do have to admit that a gold bikini would be pretty comfortable in the August humidity.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Slightly off topic for thread but on topic with current discussion: I met up with Hentzau at C2E2 here in Chicago a few weeks ago and while looking for him, I came across a morbidly obese guy in a beard dressed as Black Canary.

It was...troubling.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Slightly off topic for thread but on topic with current discussion: I met up with Hentzau at C2E2 here in Chicago a few weeks ago and while looking for him, I came across a morbidly obese guy in a beard dressed as Black Canary.

It was...troubling.
I liked the Wayne and Garth we came across. And the guy that I found that was cosplaying as Teddy Roosevelt.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have spent the last year working to get my tits inside the slave costume again. :mrgreen:

That said, GenCon is a weight affirming experience. I feel much better about my body after a few days there.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This year's event list:

Thursday
Mage Wars Demo 3 - 4 PM
Discworld Hero: You Gotta Have Faith 6-11 PM

Friday
Guildhall Meetings 11 AM-1 PM (replaced Village)
Ankh-Morpork 2 PM - 4 PM
Junta! 5 PM - 9 PM
Board Game Room - Evening

Saturday
Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy -- World Tournament
Round 1: 8 AM - 2 PM
Round 2: 2 PM - 8 PM
Epic Death! 3 PM - 4 PM
Board Game Room - Evening

Sunday
Board Game Room - Morning

Well, I did get into the Eclipse World Tournament on Saturday! I'll probably regret it after getting turned into space debris. There was a Battlestar Galactica tournament on Friday, but 8 hours for 2 sessions before the finals would be a bit much.

Since all of the Kobolds Ate My Baby slots were sold out just like the Paranoia events, I had to look elsewhere for this year's RPG player fix. While I know nothing about the Hero RPG system, there was no way I could pass up mucking around in Terry Pratchett's Discworld as a "Small God" looking for followers.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I had hoped to...but it's too close do d-day, and besides I've had zero luck trying to get my wife to even try a board game of any sort.
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Hoping to make it. It really just depends on what happens with my schedule during that time. But it would be for one day if I did.