[kickstarter] The Guardian Chronicles

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

[kickstarter] The Guardian Chronicles

Post by hepcat »

Oh sheesh, this looks like fun.

Too bad I just dropped a hundie on Myth thanks to smoove's hype machine and dance routines. Ah well...if it takes off I may sell some plasma and bite.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed May 15, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Re: [kickstarter] The Guardian Chroonicles

Post by Blackhawk »

I had to click just to see if it did, indeed, say 'Chroonicles.'

It did not.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Seppe

Re: [kickstarter] The Guardian Chronicles

Post by Seppe »

I like Chroonicles better.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It does look pretty cool. Sadly, I am tapped for Kickstarter in 2013. I will endeavor to not invest all my fun money into two (!) games for 2014.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Should I change it back to Chroonicles? Would that help you feel better about backing the game?
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I need to watch the video, but it has minis and superheroes so I'm already strongly tempted...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:I need to watch the video, but it has minis and superheroes so I'm already strongly tempted...
So did the Marvel Heroes game (shudder!)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

OH COME ON! THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MARVEL HEROES STRATEGY GAME, DAGNABIT!!!!

I'M CHOKING ON MY OWN RAGE HERE...
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:OH COME ON! THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MARVEL HEROES STRATEGY GAME, DAGNABIT!!!!

I'M CHOKING ON MY OWN RAGE HERE...
This bit is never going to get old. :-D
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

this is a bit?
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:this is a bit?
In my head it is.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So you DO like my Marvel Heroes game!? I knew you were pulling my leg! I'm whippin' it out next Octocon now that I know.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:I'm whippin' it out next Octocon now that I know.
Never going to Octocon.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:So you DO like my Marvel Heroes game!? I knew you were pulling my leg! I'm whippin' it out next Octocon now that I know.
No, we've had this conversation before. I do tease you for all of your attempts to bring the game to the table at Octocons, and it sits in the corner, sad and lonely, a wallflower.

(And I really didn't like the game the couple of times I tried to play it. Sorry, Hep, just didn't hit the mark with me. But if you actually bring it to Octocon this fall, I WILL play it with you. I swear by the Vishanti!)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Your lips say no, but your heart says yes...
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I'll be honest, I find the artwork for this game slightly offensive. All of the women look like they have disgusting floppy bags of jello strapped to their chest and are wearing about 60% of the clothing of the males. Yes, I realize that superhero comics do similar things, but this takes the sexiness of super hero chicks and just makes it silly.

Also, I spent WAY too much on the Krosmaster Arena KS. That game had some fine looking minis and I think it is simple enough for the wife to love it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Really? I didn't get that feeling at all. I went back and looked after you brought it up, and beyond the Wonder Woman style skimpy outfit of one of the female characters, I don't think any are offensive. And even that one wasn't any worse than any comic book I've read in the past. :?
He won. Period.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Super Nova was showing a lot of skin. Others less so, but a lot of catsuits and big boobs, to be sure. I wasn't going to be the one to bring it up, and it is more of an issue with the genre than an issue with their project, but on the other hand, independent projects are an awesome opportunity to step away from some of the questionable conventions of the mass market.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Are gladiators in loin cloths and nothing else a questionable convention too?

As for catsuits, Emma Peel wants to have a word with you. :P
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Are gladiators in loin cloths and nothing else a questionable convention too?

As for catsuits, Emma Peel wants to have a word with you. :P
Mmmm...Emma Peel....
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"Who you callin' questionable?"

He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:As for catsuits, Emma Peel wants to have a word with you. :P
50 years ago and today are totally the same.

Also, what's depicted for that character in the game does go a bit beyond what is typical in comics, excluding comics specifically mocking the convention (Empowered). I can't say I remember any camel toes in the Marvel Universe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just imagine the reaction folks would be having if the game included a high school girl in torn clothing wielding a chainsaw and fighting a ton of zombies...

Is the one character a bit over the top? Sure, I'll give you that (although I hadn't really noticed until it was brought up). But complaining about catsuits? That's just ridiculous. The males are wearing the equivalent of the same outfit in almost every instance.

Anyway, let's get back to discussing the game. If you want to question the negative conventions of how women have been portrayed in pop culture, start a new thread. And then be prepared to destroy a large portion of each of your comic book, game or film collections in order to avoid being called a hypocrite.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu May 16, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:"Who you callin' questionable?"

60s fashion for one.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Just imagine the reaction folks would be having if the game included a high school girl in torn clothing wielding a chainsaw and fighting a ton of zombies...
Who are you referring to her? Wanda is th eone with the chainsaw. She isn't a high school student and her clothes aren't torn... she is buttoned up to the neck.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Like I said, I'm done with this conversation. I'm just not in the mood today. I should've remembered that on the internet, no matter how innocent your intentions are, they can be turned into something sordid in a heartbeat.
He won. Period.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

hepcat wrote:Anyway, let's get back to discussing the game. If you want to question the negative conventions of how women have been portrayed in pop culture, start a new thread. And then be prepared to destroy a large portion of each of your comic book, game or film collections in order to avoid being called a hypocrite.
I'm going to let it drop, but you know as well as anyone that it's possible to enjoy something while still being willing to take a critical view of its flaws.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll discuss the game when this 4 week old kickstarter actually posts some gameplay. They've shown us how the villain sets up and what the hero character cards look like and a very quick look at the hero's action cards. There has to be a reason they only have 200 backers after a month, I assume the lack of gameplay demonstration is high on the list.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's my biggest problem when it comes to kickstarter. I start to salivate over the promise of how great a game can be...and then I get it and it sometimes fails to live up to the hype. An issue I could've easily avoided by just doing a little more research or watching some gameplay videos. Eaten by Zombies is an example. I was all over that due to my love of zombies, but the actual game turned out to be a rather fiddly trick taking game...a genre I'm not a real fan of I've discovered over the years (with the glaring exception of the Dominant Species card game :wub: )

I'm not sure if I'll bite on this due to my recent purchases draining my wallet and Origins and Gencon being right around the corner, but if the gameplay videos give me a Freedom Force vibe or some other fond association, I'll probably back it as I have the willpower of a goldfish when it comes to games. :oops:
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I fear another Zpocalypse. I have to get over my "cool minis, I gotta have it!" impulse.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and sorry for my earlier outburst. I was having a bad morning and was surprised when the thread took an unexpected turn. Still, I should've taken it in stride. One reason I come to this area of OO is to get away from R&P type interaction and I sullied that through my own actions. So, no more outbursts from moi. :wink:
He won. Period.
Seppe

Post by Seppe »

Without more info on gameplay, i will wait.

I did notice that one female character, it is part of comic books. But that one, more like a bad boob job.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

It seems a interesting idea. The cat suits didn't bother me. The boobs were a bit over the top but meh. What does that really have to do with the actual game. It's not the first time a comic book female has been drawn with enormous boobs.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:...and sorry for my earlier outburst. I was having a bad morning and was surprised when the thread took an unexpected turn. Still, I should've taken it in stride. One reason I come to this area of OO is to get away from R&P type interaction and I sullied that through my own actions. So, no more outbursts from moi. :wink:
Sorry Hep, I didn't mean to take the conversation to another place. But, for me, the art is a factor (as important as the gameplay, in a sense) in deciding to support a KS project. I play games with my wife and if I plunked Miss saggy-jelly-boob-sacks-with-camel-toe on the table, she would likely never play the game! This isn't really a societal or comic book convention thing for me (although I do think about those), but more me thinking that the art in this game is a little offensive

And it isn't the catsuit that is the problem for the spider character, it is that she is ass-up and showing nipples that would likely have my wife slap me for buying this.

Anyway, they seem to have a good idea but no execution. I'm trying to be more discriminating with my KS support, so no go for me.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

baelthazar wrote:
hepcat wrote:...and sorry for my earlier outburst. I was having a bad morning and was surprised when the thread took an unexpected turn. Still, I should've taken it in stride. One reason I come to this area of OO is to get away from R&P type interaction and I sullied that through my own actions. So, no more outbursts from moi. :wink:
Sorry Hep, I didn't mean to take the conversation to another place. But, for me, the art is a factor (as important as the gameplay, in a sense) in deciding to support a KS project. I play games with my wife and if I plunked Miss saggy-jelly-boob-sacks-with-camel-toe on the table, she would likely never play the game! This isn't really a societal or comic book convention thing for me (although I do think about those), but more me thinking that the art in this game is a little offensive

And it isn't the catsuit that is the problem for the spider character, it is that she is ass-up and showing nipples that would likely have my wife slap me for buying this.

Anyway, they seem to have a good idea but no execution. I'm trying to be more discriminating with my KS support, so no go for me.
No go for me too. The artwork is a big part of why. Not so much just how little they are wearing but rather how they are drawn as well. The spider character as you said in particular. The more artwork they release the more it pushes me away. Also watching it the last little while it is not a very well run kickstarter... that does not bode well. Plus I just spent plenty of money on Krosmaster, Zombicide 2, Myth, and Galaxy Defenders :oops:

I too need to be more discerning with kickstarters.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Chris, after I wrote this, I backed like three high-cost KS projects/pre-orders (Cthulhu Wars, Duel of Ages II, and Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition). So I totally did NOT follow what I said! :D

But I agree, the way the KS has been run and the art just scream "danger!" Although IELLO is typically pretty responsible.