[Kickstarter] Xia: Legends of a Drift System

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: [Kickstarter] Xia: Legends of a Drift System

Post by hentzau »

So...we haven't talked about this one in quite a while. But I have to tell you, this has been one of the best communicated, most transparent Kickstarters I have ever had the pleasure of being part of. It's well over a year since the game was backed, but Cody has been amazing in his communication out to the backers. I don't know that he has missed a weekly update, and his pictures into the "making the sausage" part of the project have been really interesting. I would back another of his projects in a heartbeat.

Now the manufacturing of the games is complete. Most are sitting on a dock, waiting to be loaded up onto boats, to start that long slow process of getting to their backers.

My big question: Will I have my copy before OctoCon? Because...this needs to be played at OctoCon.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I hope the answer is yes, because I do want to play this at Octocon. It was a very, very tempting Kickstarter project.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, the updates are ridiculous - he completely understands what the backers want or need to hear. Some might think it's a bit too much, but I think his once a week messages work fine. If nothing else, you at least know he's working on *something* to get the came closer to release.

I'm glad I supported, but I fear without solo or two player rules, this game will never hit my table. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Everything Smoove said.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

What Zaxxon said.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Estimated Start Ship Date: October 6th
OctoCon: October 10th

:(
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Should have had OctoCon at an APO address this year--they're shipping 2 weeks earlier.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I am seeing way too many pictures of this over on BGG. I just know it's going to arrive the Monday after OctoCon.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Name the date, I'll be there if there's any way humanly possible.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, no Xia at OctoCon:
Cody wrote:Hey guys and gals, just got some sad news from Dimerco a few minutes ago. Here's what Justin @ Dimerco just sent me:
"Amazon Chattanooga actually canceled our appoint on our truckers
yesterday. They sent them an email saying it was no longer available. We
had to reschedule a new appointment with them where they gave us a delivery
of 10/6. Amazon is tough. We unfortunately just have to go as they say.
We'll look to keep you posted.
Best Regards,
Justin Bergeron"
*Tears*
:cry:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is it too late to get your hands on the Traveling Convention copy?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think they were targeting slightly larger cons.

I sold my copy for what I pledged for it and have changed the shipping address. I think what Cody has done is pretty great. I also think it's a game I would never play.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:For a long time my main concern was what games I could play with my wife. The reality is that happens so infrequently so as to be pointless. Now I try to consider what my 7 year old can play but also what would be workable for boardgame meetups/lunches/etc. What started out as a dream of playing with my wife has turned into a collection of games I don't have much interest in playing.

What was my point?

I am in on Xia as it seems interesting and that money I took off the Name of the Wind playing cards has to go somewhere. ;)
Looked back at my first post in this thread. Yeah, so that whole collection of games I am not playing is going away dammit! I have sold close to 100 games in the past year (including more than half the kickstarter games I have backed) and have more to dump. Die kickstarter die!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Mine shipped during OctoCon. Should be here Wed or Thurs. Now I just need to find a few people interested in playing a multi-hour game with me on short notice...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

You win. Still no shipping notice here.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Shipping Notice received. My shipment is due on Thursday.

Thursday a week too late! Dagnabbit!!!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In plenty of time for next OctoCon!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, my shipping notice just came -- due for delivery on Thursday.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just opened the box. The component quality is insane! Here's hoping there are decent 2 player and solo variants, otherwise this will likely sit untouched. :(
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Mine should be here today. Can't wait, even if it'll likely be a month before I get to play it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mine should be delivered tomorrow... to somewhere in Utah to the guy I sold it to.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

I received my copy and opened it last night. The ships are really cool, although the paint jobs are middling. Of course, I don't expect them to be professional quality. If only I had all my paints and brushes from the 90s, when I was into Warhammer. Grrr.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm totally OK with middling paint jobs vs no paint jobs.

Separated out everything last night, but I won't have a chance to do anything with it until Monday. Agree about component quality, it's top notch.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Mine came in last Sunday. I am happy I got them at least painted rather than a bunch of gray ships that will stay that way forever. I am not a painter of minis and that is far too meticulous for me to do.

Components are great, I do however need to read that huge rule book so it might be a while. I still have quite a few games I have not read the rules for yet. My rule book backlog is starting to look like my video game backlog.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Plan on getting a game in tonight. It'll be a short 3 player learning game. Can't wait!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If any of you didn't back at the Sellsword level (or if you did and are really into modding) and are interested in my Xia dev kit parts, I'm willing to part with them on the cheap. I'll be lucky enough to get to play the game often, much less mod it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We got our first 3 player game of Xia in on Monday night. And after one play, the game really lived up to my expectations.

First game was with no NPC ships, and played to 7 points (a bit more than the recommended 5.) I will confess, I hadn't read through the complete rule book, and was looking some stuff up as we went, so that slowed us down a bit, plus made us miss a major rule (more on that later.) We used random starting sectors instead of the ones they recommend for the first game, and I didn't see an issue with that. We randomly dealt out starting ships, which I liked quite a bit, and think I will continue to do. We all approached the first game cautiously, and through the course of it not a single shot was fired. Matter of fact, only one ship even had a gun. So we ended up only gaining fame points by exploring, selling, and upgrading ships. We all stayed on the side of the law, mostly...Tom was the only one that took an outlaw job, and that was a stealing mission (that he didn't get caught at, so he never got a bounty placed on him. Weird thing about that stealing mission...he "stole" stuff from my ship, but as far as we could tell, I didn't actually lose any cargo. He just got money.)

The game ended up being extremely close, with Tom getting to the 7 fame points first, and Stuart and I both at 6. By that point we had all upgraded to second tier ships, and I think everyone had upgraded at least one component of their ship. We had explored to the point where we had about 6 sectors that hadn't been uncovered yet. So we got a really good taste of the game, albeit no combat or NPC's.

The one big thing we goofed up:

You get a fame point for completing missions. It would have ended the game a little earlier. I don't think it would change the outcome though.

Things that I really liked about the game:

Great feel of exploration and discovery
Excellent components
Fairly simple and straightforward gameplay. Everyone was moving forward pretty quickly after about the 3rd turn
The ships and outfits. Very creative, and leads you to some hard decisions.

Things I'm kind of questioning:

Movement. Movement is EXTREMELY random. There will be times when you will make your movement roll and move less than your impulse engines. Stuart had the fastest engines he could afford in the beginning of the game, and we had to laugh when he rolled 3 1's on one turn. I've seen a lot of talk about house ruling the engine rules to either use Formula D dice for the movement, or to always allow them to move at least their impulse engine rate. I kind of like the latter idea, but I'm not going to change anything yet. I want to get a few more games under my belt before we start tinkering.

Downtime while getting missions. Once we started the game up, and folks had a the flow of movement, action management, and energy management under their belts, turns moved along pretty snappily, EXCEPT when getting new mission cards. When someone would hit a mission spot in the middle of there movement, there was always a pause while they drew the three cards, read them, tried to figure out the best one, and then moved on. I would almost rather have it that you hit the mission spot, draw the top card and take it. Add it to your hand, you can have a max of 3 missions, and you can have one mission active at a time. Once again, a minor quibble.

Most memorable moments of the game:

There was a title card turned up, I forget the exact title, where on a single turn you had to get to the mission space of five separate types of sectors: Nebula, planet, debris field, asteroid field, and a jump gate. We looked at it and said "Sure. Like that'll ever happen." Later in the game, Tom is one fame point behind Stuart and I. He's just upgraded his ship and his engines. He needs to get to a mission space that Stuart is parked on to complete his mission. Rolled an 11 for his movement. Decides instead to try the fame run. First movement of 11 gets him to the planetary space, through to the asteroid field, and into the debris field. He uses impulse engines to get through the debris field right next to the malfunctioning jump gate. He rolls low on his next roll, and thinks he's doomed, but he goes into the malfunctioning jump gate, hoping he can appear at a spawn point relatively close to the nebula and get a good roll. The spawn point he rolls is right next to the gate again! He has one more movement point left, and jumps back INTO the gate, rolls again, and comes out about halfway between the Gate and the Nebula. He counts it out, and he'll need an 11 to make it to the nebula mission point. Rolls the D12...and it turns up an 11. Exactly what he needed. Spontaneous applause by all players. It was epic.

And thats where I think this game can really shine. These epic "What the hell" moments. I tried my own right at the end of the game. I was down by 2 FP and it was my turn. Stuart and Tom were both one turn away from winning, I had an empty cargo hold, no viable mission to go, no guns to try and take down a ship, and low on cash. All I had was a fast engine and a full tank of gas. So I was going to bank on exploring. I hit the edge of a sector and did a blind jump into the next one. Got lucky and turned up a card with an explore point near me. Went to it...1000 CR. Hit the edge of space again with the rest of my move, used some energy to scan, and found another new sector. Used impulse to get to the explore token, and it was nothing. Next move, flew to the unexplored edge of space, and scanned again. Turned up an asteroid field. Rolled low, so I had to straight line it through 3 asteroid groups to get to the explore space, took about 4 hits on my ship (could only use shields once, I needed my energy to get another movement). I grab the explore token...and it was a Fame Point! I'm now tied for the lead, and one more FP will give me the win. I use my last activation on my engines, and roll really badly again. I fly to the edge of the sector, blind jump into the space in front of me with one point of movement left. Pull the sector tile...and the explore point is on the other end of the sector, right next to Tom. I can't reach it. I'm 5 move points short. I watch as on his turn, he uses impulse engines to fly to the explore space and turns over...the last Fame Point he needed to win the game. So close!

Really, really fun game. Can't wait to try it again, this time with a little more bloodthirstiness.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad to hear of a promising start!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Actually, just read a really great idea for the movement randomization issue.

If you roll a one, you are allowed a re-roll, but you have to take damage to your engine outfit to take the re-roll. Damage can be placed on the outfit directly, or any space adjoining the outfit.

I like this, it gives you an option, but it also gives you a consequence...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Now I regret not jumping on this. Ack!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Longer version later, but for now: first game was a blast.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Zaxxon wrote:first game was a blast.
Mine too, played for the first time yesterday.
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Our first game was quite different from hentzau's, but just as enjoyable. We also played with no NPCs, and set the goal at 5 fame points. We wound up having so much fun that we boosted that all the way to 20. We had a lot of rules lookups, and the game took about 4 hours for 3 players. We all finished with upgraded ships-one tier three and two 2s. We played where missions were grabbed as the top card, no choosing. That did speed things up a bit, and I don't feel like it's a big problem since there are mission pickups everywhere and grabbing is a minor action.

We started out mostly exploring as we got our feet under us, but eventually as one player took a commanding lead and I stumbled into an assassin mission, I armed up. My target and I were both tier 2, and I had 3k credits in my account, so a successful assassination would have gotten me to tier 3. This is where we had our biggest oh shit moment.

I had the d20 missile, a d8 missile, and my ship abilities were afterburner (making it difficult for my target to evade me) and a railgun that would deal unblockable damage to an outfit of my choice with a roll of 5 or better on a d20. In short, I was fairly powerful on offense. The target had the mid grade shield, and we were both far from planets, making healing difficult.

I wasted 6 turns attacking that asshole, and never got him. I had 3 rolls in a row where my railgun did nothing, never rolled better than a 10 on the massive d20 missile, got him to within one point of death only to have the third player swoop in and finish him off, etc. It was a comedy of errors. Fun in its hilariousness, but proved to be a poor move for me-in effect it tied me and the target up while the leader ran away with the game.

Good stuff. Looking forward to playing with the NPCs, and knowing the basics from the start of the game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've now played three games of Xia. This last one we all went peaceful, with no one even buying shields or weapons until near the end, when two of us teamed up on the leader to try to take him out. We almost had him dead to rights but he scraped home to a planet and sold two cubes for his 20th victory point. Tier 3 ships can take a beating...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Sweet temptation. But then we'll have TWO unplayed copies at the next Octocon.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:Sweet temptation. But then we'll have TWO unplayed copies at the next Octocon.
I think Xia could get a lot of play at the next OctoCon. Still need to get a date to get you and hep and seppe together to try it out.