[Kickstarter] Xia: Legends of a Drift System

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

[Kickstarter] Xia: Legends of a Drift System

Post by hentzau »

SpaceLord threw a comment in "What did you play this weekend" meta thread about this game, but I thought it should have it's own separate thread (or maybe not. We'll see. :) ).

Description from BGG:
Xia: Legends of a Drift System is a 3-5 player sandbox style competitive space adventure. Each player starts as a lowly but hopeful captain of a small starship.

Players fly their ships about the system, completing a variety of missions, exploring new sectors and battling other ships. Navigating hazardous environments, players choose to mine, salvage, or trade valuable cargo. Captains vie with each other for Titles, riches, and most importantly Fame.

The most adaptive, risk taking, and creative players will excel. One captain will rise above the others, surpassing mortality by becoming Legend!

Customize: Each player begins the game by choosing and customizing a Tier 1 starship. Invest all your money in engines and be a rapid, yet fragile, explorer. Put all your credits into an uber missile and watch other players flee in terror. Get a small engine and save space and credits to invest in buying and selling cargo. Or create a well rounded ship, ready for anything. In Xia, the choice is always yours.

Adapt: The goal of Xia is to become the most famous captain. Completing missions, besting ships in combat, purchasing higher tier ships, selling Cargo Cubes and claiming Titles are all ways that players can earn Fame Points. The best pilots will adapt to their surroundings, making snap judgments and changing plans on-the-fly. If you can think on your feet, you'll do well in Xia!

Sandbox: The real fun of Xia is that each game will be different. There is no set direction of play, players may choose to be peaceful traders, fierce pirates, workers, miners, opportunists, etc. The game board is randomly laid out and explored each time you play. Players might choose not to explore at all, creating a tiny arena for swift and deadly combat, or explore all 19 sectors and have a large play-scape to exploit. It's up to you!
I backed this game the minute I read the description, and saw the components. A Merchants and Marauders type game in space? Sold! You can tell from the descriptions and the video that Cody (the creator) is really in love with his game, and has put a lot of time, and thought, and design into it. He also has some great ideas about making the game almost an "open source" game where he's going to send out with the $100 level of the game a "dev kit" where you get blank templates for the space sector hexes and ship outfits for your own use. He's also going to make the templates used for the cards available to all, as well as encouraging 3D printing of ships to use with the game, and sharing of those designs.

Based on everything I'm reading, and seeing from gameplay videos and reviews, this game is almost a grail game for me. It seems like it's everything that I had hoped Eclipse would be but wasn't (for me, at least).
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Re: [Kickstarter] Xia: Legends of a Drift System

Post by Smoove_B »

It does look pretty cool, but the FAQ suggests it's definitely a game for 3+ players. I fear it would sit around collecting dust at my house or it would be a meh experience with just two. At least, that's how I'm justifying not purchasing it. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This looks awesome, but same concern as Smoove. I would enjoy it quite a bit, but my regular gaming friends probably not so much. For $75, that's a tough sell.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm in.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zaxxon wrote:Oh, who am I kidding? I'm in.
Joiiinnn Uuuusss...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For a long time my main concern was what games I could play with my wife. The reality is that happens so infrequently so as to be pointless. Now I try to consider what my 7 year old can play but also what would be workable for boardgame meetups/lunches/etc. What started out as a dream of playing with my wife has turned into a collection of games I don't have much interest in playing.

What was my point?

I am in on Xia as it seems interesting and that money I took off the Name of the Wind playing cards has to go somewhere. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:I am in on Xia as it seems interesting and that money I took off the Name of the Wind playing cards has to go somewhere. ;)
Ha--similar for me. "How can I bring the effective price of Xia down--aha! I don't really need a Kvothe deck, do I?"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I really liked this statement in his last update:
Final stretch goals

Alright, I'd like to take a minute and talk about my choice here.

I know that there are many hopes for tons of new sectors, ships, mission types, crew, events, etc. but I'm afraid I'm not going there with stretch goals. I'm terribly sorry if this breaks your heart!

By clearing the 200k mark, I've added everything to Xia that I wanted. I am 100% happy with the game, and I feel really good about shipping it out to you.

Difficult decisions

I'm completely aware that this is not how Kickstarters are usually run. It's generally a mad rush to add more and more content. I can feel the immense pull to keep adding and adding, but I have set this limit long before the campaign started.

There are many cautionary tales of Kickstarters that went sour because of excess goals, and I refuse to let Xia be one of those. I have a responsibility to my wife and kids not to go under financially; and I have a responsibility to you, my backers, to put forth a great product, within a reasonable timeframe. My friends, testers, and wife are all in agreement, rushing to add more now is not a good idea. It is enough.

I realize this isn't the best "move" if I'm trying to make an amazing Kickstarter campaign. But again, my goal is not to have the best Kickstarter campaign. My goal is to make the best starship adventure I can.

My conclusion

I've spent 7 years adding, and pruning ideas for Xia. It's been a long process of dreaming up great ideas, trying to implement them, then removing everything that didn't work or wasn't actually fun. I'm very proud of where Xia is right now, and I think to keep adding, for adding's sake, would dilute the concentration that currently permeates the game. Some times less is more.

To that end I've set the remaining stretch goals with a focus on improving the quality of components you will receive. I understand if you are disappointed, but I hope you can see why I've made this choice.
I'm really fine with this stance. I want this guy to succeed with his project, and not have all of the extras slow down the release or endanger the success of the project. Very level headed.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, that was one of the things that ultimately sold me. It seems as though he's gotten all the useful gameplay add-ons out of the way between the $100k and $200k levels, and now he's focusing on making the components better. Seems like a wise stance to me. From perusing the KS page, game manual and a couple of previews, Xia seems to me as though it's in a sweet spot of being complex enough to remain interesting for more than a few plays while not being overwhelming to those who haven't played.

I'd much rather he keep it that way and use any additional funding to make the components more kick-ass than scramble to add half-baked additional junk to the game. And I suppose when you've been working on a game's design for 7 years, you're unlikely to come up with a compelling new idea in the 2 weeks' time from realizing your KS is going off the rails to when it ends, anyway.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Please stop with the cogent, level-headed discussion about why this game is looking great and the designer deserves support. I already have a buddy who is backing this, I don't need my own copy! Right!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Boudreaux wrote:Please stop with the cogent, level-headed discussion about why this game is looking great and the designer deserves support. I already have a buddy who is backing this, I don't need my own copy! Right!
Jooiinnn uuussss...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I need to stop clicking on these threads. I need to spend my gaming budget on games I can actually play with my kids now and not ponder games that I may be able to play months from now, at least until I get some of the standards - like Ticket to Ride, Small World, and Catan on my shelf.

I shall resist. I shall overcome. I shall remain inviolate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The guy in this video must be an actor. He couldn't possibly be just a dude having trouble keeping it together while seeing a dream he's had for years come to life thanks to the support of a bunch of gamers like us.

No, siree.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

NOT HELPING.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

That video made me glad I backed this one.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I just want to go on record and say that I do not appreciate getting forum effected into buying this one. I have a board game buying addiction and y'all are not helping me at all.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

miltonite wrote:I just want to go on record and say that I do not appreciate getting forum effected into buying this one. I have a board game buying addiction and y'all are not helping me at all.
Hey, that Sellsword add-on looks pretty slick, doesn't it?
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Really? With the avatar too?

I really hate you guys. :(
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enlarge Image
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

This game really does look good, but with it being 3+ players I probably won't get in on it. I tend to stick to buying games that are 2 players minimum for fear of the game never hitting the table.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chrisoc13 wrote:This game really does look good, but with it being 3+ players I probably won't get in on it. I tend to stick to buying games that are 2 players minimum for fear of the game never hitting the table.
I'm the same way. Couldn't resist this one, though. I could see some homebrew two-player or even solitaire variants working relatively well.
Last edited by Zaxxon on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I see the final component upgrade (not counting extra lore in the manual) stretch goal was hit late yesterday. Sweeeeet. Although the creator is looking into the cost for upgraded cardstock, so that could show up as a new goal since this game is pretty much guaranteed to blow through the one remaining stretch with days to spare.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zaxxon wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:This game really does look good, but with it being 3+ players I probably won't get in on it. I tend to stick to buying games that are 2 players minimum for fear of the game never hitting the table.
I'm the same way. Couldn't resist this one, though. I could see some homebrew two-player or even solitaire variants working relatively well.
Yeah, I'm passing on it too, I think. With all the KS supporting I've done lately (Krosmaster, Cthulhu Wars, Call of Cthulhu RPG books, 7th edition), I can't justify having a 3+ player only game I won't be able to play. At least Sandy Peterson is reworking the rules of Cthulhu Wars to be friendly to 2-players.

Too bad, because this is a game that I would really enjoy!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Zaxxon wrote:Ha--similar for me. "How can I bring the effective price of Xia down--aha! I don't really need a Kvothe deck, do I?"
Talked to Rothfuss at Origins. Very personable guy who thrived on being front & center in the dealer hall. His table didn't have the deck but did have a sweet shirt. Still, a deck of cards is neat but not a sale for me.

So, I'm passing on both. After we play hentzau's copy I may regret it. But the massive OGRE Delexe box sealed a rampdown on new boardgame purchases. Except Terra Mystica.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Ha--similar for me. "How can I bring the effective price of Xia down--aha! I don't really need a Kvothe deck, do I?"
Talked to Rothfuss at Origins. Very personable guy who thrived on being front & center in the dealer hall. His table didn't have the deck but did have a sweet shirt. Still, a deck of cards is neat but not a sale for me.

So, I'm passing on both. After we play hentzau's copy I may regret it. But the massive OGRE Delexe box sealed a rampdown on new boardgame purchases. Except Terra Mystica.
I missed Origins due to some personal stuff. Did you get your copy of OGRE? Is it all that it should and can be?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The 'real' final stretgh goal was just posted--Ivory card cores at $300k. Would be a 'stretch' to get there with 4 days to go. We'll see.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

baelthazar wrote:I missed Origins due to some personal stuff. Did you get your copy of OGRE? Is it all that it should and can be?
I played a game of OGRE with Kickstarter line editor Daniel Jew and they had a FULL box. There's a set of removable plastic inserts just for the assembled OGREs and key figures. Same scale as the miniatures. It's size is -- gargantuan. Production is very nice. Found my name on the box. Played miserably as expected.
Last edited by Zarathud on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would have caved if I saw Xia at Origins on Sunday.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote:I would have caved if I saw Xia at Origins on Sunday.
Enlarge Image
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I don't think I can resist any longer. I will back this when I get home. And then I will be mad when I can't find anyone to play with. (like that will ever happen)

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Really, it kind of makes sense to back it now if you are even remotely interested. You'll get it for $5 cheaper than retail, get a few rewards for your backing, get free shipping, and get it a couple of months before anyone else can get it. Plus,if you get it, play it, and decide you don't like it, there's a really good chance you could sell it off pretty easily during the first couple of months after it is released.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hentzau wrote:Plus,if you get it, play it, and decide you don't like it, there's a really good chance you could sell it off pretty easily during the first couple of months after it is released.
This. In fact, I've already got a buyer for my dev kit materials @ $15 (part of the $25 Sellsword add-on). Given the delay between Kickstarter deliveries and general sales to the public, I think it's a safe bet that you'll at least be able to sell it for what you pledged should you not like it.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

The only problem is that I could never sell a game. At least not until my closet looks like Tom Vasel's game room.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was doing so good...hadn't backed a Kickstarter game in over a month! Oh well. I don't own any space-themed board games so this fills a niche. At least, that's how I'm justifying it. I do hope solo and/or two player rules are hammered out by someone as I'd really hate for this to sit around and collect dust.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:I was doing so good...hadn't backed a Kickstarter game in over a month! Oh well. I don't own any space-themed board games so this fills a niche. At least, that's how I'm justifying it. I do hope solo and/or two player rules are hammered out by someone as I'd really hate for this to sit around and collect dust.
Welcome aboard, Smoove.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Well looks like my friends failed once again by not stopping me from buying another game. I really need to get some help.... or better friends.

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

My friend has helped to kickstart this one and since the odds of me playing it without him are pretty much nil, I am not backing it as then we'd have two copies and only need one (I still want to own my own copy, even if I can't afford it - I also need help)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

IceBear wrote:My friend has helped to kickstart this one and since the odds of me playing it without him are pretty much nil, I am not backing it as then we'd have two copies and only need one (I still want to own my own copy, even if I can't afford it - I also need help)
Sounds like a wise (if un-fun) decision. Or you could just get it and have a TEN-PLAYER FFA!!!1111!!

Or something.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

6 hours left and the project is at $328k. Not bad.