[Kickstarter] Cthulhu Wars

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

baelthazar

[Kickstarter] Cthulhu Wars

Post by baelthazar »

Now, I'm going to preface this by saying this is pretty much my dream game!

It looks like a cross between Chaos in the Old World and Cthulhu and Risk. But everything just oozes (pun intended) awesome - look at those GIGANTIC minis!

The main problem is the prohibitive price point. Yes, you get a lot, but you also pay a lot.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/181 ... hulhu-wars" target="_blank
TheMix

Re: [Kickstarter] Cthulhu Wars

Post by TheMix »

I find it amusing that people are doing the higher level pledges before the lower ones sell out. It's the same rewards. I guess they really wanted to let the company know that they believe the game is worth the extra $$.

:)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

I'm in for a little over 200 so far. I'm debating whether to add the first player mini even though I think it's a rip off, thinking I may be able to sell it for more later. Thoughts?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

FYI, this only has 4 days left. He also added some "mega-packs" for people who want a one-stop shop for all of the extras.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They have made nearly 1 million bux. It would be nice if someone who only wants 49k and gets 1 minllion would lower the cost of the game when it comes out. Giving backer more is only right but help out the rest of thr fans by giving them a break. They got what... 10x more than they wanted.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote:They have made nearly 1 million bux. It would be nice if someone who only wants 49k and gets 1 minllion would lower the cost of the game when it comes out. Giving backer more is only right but help out the rest of thr fans by giving them a break. They got what... 10x more than they wanted.
Which is why we are getting the 9 Free Great Old Ones and several extra collector's minis. With the way KS is structured, you can't offer the game to backers at lower costs, as it would lower the amount pledged for the KS. I suspect that the amount here will result in better production numbers, which will translate to better prices (see Zombiecide).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do you guys like the solid colored plastic minis? I know it would cost a lot more and be a lot more work but wouldn't painted ones be cooler?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote:Do you guys like the solid colored plastic minis? I know it would cost a lot more and be a lot more work but wouldn't painted ones be cooler?
I like them, and having them pre-painted would be a big bone of contention. Many of us love to paint our minis, so this plethora of unpainted minis is a feature not a bug! :D

IIRC they are very similar to the Descent minis, which are that slightly pliable plastic.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah this type of game is in my wheelhouse, though I wonder whether it's too redundant of Chaos in the Old World. Anyhow, $140+ to get a copy of the game (and other doo dads) at a later date is too rich for my blood.
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

El Guapo wrote:Yeah this type of game is in my wheelhouse, though I wonder whether it's too redundant of Chaos in the Old World. Anyhow, $140+ to get a copy of the game (and other doo dads) at a later date is too rich for my blood.
+1

It makes me sad, but +1 :-(
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, they're trying to make a board game that has the cost and "buy more stuff" factor of a minis game. Unfortunately, I'm firmly in the board game camp. Super cool minis, but not cool enough to justify the cost for a game that may or may not be any good (and wouldn't even justify it if it was confirmed to be really good).
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder if I'll ever kickstart something. I just have such a fundamental problem with "Thanks for your money! In exchange, here's nothing. We're hoping to give you something later."
Black Lives Matter.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

IceBear wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Yeah this type of game is in my wheelhouse, though I wonder whether it's too redundant of Chaos in the Old World. Anyhow, $140+ to get a copy of the game (and other doo dads) at a later date is too rich for my blood.
+1

It makes me sad, but +1 :-(
Same here. I backed (late) at the $240 dollar level and then backed out... just couldn't justify the money.
-mf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Some of the stuff is pretty silly, too - an exclusive first player marker? Shit, where's my wallet???
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I suppose it is a matter of perspective. A large scale, paintable, collectible mini of H.P. Lovecraft is in high demand for many people. But that only amounts to $25. The real draw are the Great Old Ones.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I backed (no extras) after reading the impressions of the game on boardgamegeek.com. Most people who had a chance to try it seemed to enjoy it. It seems considerably easier to understand than Chaos in the Old World and I think it would go over well with my group of friends so I figured it was worth a shot.

I guess I will let you guys know how it is around Christmas time!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:I backed (no extras) after reading the impressions of the game on boardgamegeek.com. Most people who had a chance to try it seemed to enjoy it. It seems considerably easier to understand than Chaos in the Old World and I think it would go over well with my group of friends so I figured it was worth a shot.

I guess I will let you guys know how it is around Christmas time!
Lance "Undead Viking" liked it, so that is usually all I need to feel good about it. But I think I have over-backed it. Still, when all the cool minis come in, I'll be in heaven! I just hope they can make their December deadline.